Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18944 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Still Loves the U.S.A.

• 90 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Superman has always stood for "truth, justice and the American way." That is until Action Comics #900 was released. We reported Superman's decision to renounce his U.S. citizenship and there was a bit of discussion on the matter. Basically the cry went out that Superman was being un-American. How could he turn his back on the country that had been his home since he arrived in his spaceship from Krypton?

No Caption Provided

Whether it was a coincidence or lack of communication, the good news is Superman still believes in America. Despite apparently turning his back on the United States, he revealed this week in Superman #711 that he still believes it the ideals of America.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

Going back to Action Comics #900, several comments dealt with whether or not Superman was a U.S. citizen to begin with. Questions of his birth certificate came up among readers. Obviously Superman does not have a birth certificate. The U.S. citizenship was bestowed upon him.

Does Clark Kent have a birth certificate? I would say definitely yes. Originally when Jonathan and Martha found baby Kal-El, they immediately took him to an orphanage. Shortly after, they adopted him. In other tellings of Superman's origins, they simply told everyone that Clark belonged to Martha's sister and they were going to raise him as their own. If they weren't able to come up with a birth certificate for Clark, you can bet anything that Batman has obtained one for him.

But what about Superman's little speech. It does make sense what he said. The way I took it was not that he was turning his back on the United States. He is not just looking to protect the U.S. but instead is a savior for the world. And if Superman is chasing a deadly villain like Doomsday or Eclipso and happens to cross into a foreign country, why should it be perceived as an attack by the United States. Superman shouldn't be a representative of the country. He is invested in saving all lives.

No Caption Provided

It's up to readers to interpret his decision however they see fit. I'm not sure if it's possible that this current speech of still believing in the U.S.A. was quickly added to calm people down and reassure that Superman is still patriotic (how far in advanced to comics need to be printed to reach comic shops?). This doesn't mean he's trying to reclaim his U.S. citizenship. Who knows how much stock we should even put into a back-up story in an over-sized issue? Regardless, U.S. citizens across the country can now sleep safely knowing that Superman still believes in the foundation that our forefathers set in place.

Did you lose your faith in Superman or does it even matter if he's a U.S. citizen or not?

iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By iloverobots

Not that I cared in the first place but that'll put FOX News in their place...

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DH69

way to flip-flop dc...

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I kinda figured this was the direction that it was going.  Yes, maybe that message in Action 900 was hasty and I didn't agree with it but I certainly didn't grow volatile at the decision.  He is always an American hero but is still first and foremost Earth's champion.

Burnstar1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Burnstar1230

Superman vs Bill O'Reilly....I'd like to see that.

Anyways, it never came to me that Superman was a U.S. citizen since "Superman" probably wouldn't have documents to prove he's a citizen. Working with the Justice League of America, it never seemed as though they were solely there to protect the United States, but the whole world.

mark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By mark5

Sadly the US is moving AWAY from the foundations set by the forefathers..

@william knowles said:
    " NOT just America, but the world. "
    QFT
    dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By dewboy01

NOT just America, but the world.
    Sunphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sunphoenix

Finally ....  Superman becomes a protector of humanity and not just another American Hero.. I hope we see more of the same in other companies :)

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NightFang3
    @iloverobots said:
    " Not that I cared in the first place but that'll put FOX News in their place... "
                  Only being kick off the air will do that.
    theicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By theicon

slap in the face of this country, the original creators would be angry the world hates as it is  now our own ideals and fiction hate america  something is wrong  the day superman renounces the usa it a big wake up call about the real world  whats next Captain Un-america....or Captain unconstitutional  ...TheX-usa-Men......Unjustice league of America  the UJLA, The Unamerican Avengers  and supes is now                       Super Anti US-Man...brave new world

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By SevanGrim
    @DH69 said:
    "

way to flip-flop dc...

"
    its not flip-flopping. Superman wanted to do more around the world, but the world see's him as America's enforcer. He never said he didnt believe in America anymore. He said he wanted more than America to believe in him.

i do not get what the big deal is here. Its been massively annoying to me that silver age masters like Elogated man and Blue Beetle can die without a word outside of the comics community being spoken, but Superman expresses a desire to help more than out country and its all over the internet. READ THE COMIC! He didnt take up communism or join al qaeda.

His attempts to do his job outside of America almost caused an international incident because people thought he was working for the American government, so he renounced his citizenship so next time he had to save a life in another country he didnt trigger a war.

this whole media frenzy is retarded.
    TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TDK_1997

Superman has reanounced his U.S citizenship but he is still patrotic.He lived his whole life in USA

DoctorTrips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DoctorTrips

You know to just avoid all the dumb ass arguments about Superman being un-American or anti-USA or being brainwashed by the Soviet Secret Empire to slowly evolve into 'Comrade Steel' so he can fly around burning apple pies and murdering baseball teams to destroy 1950s American ideals how about DC just changes the tagline to "Truth, Justice, and the Right Way". Boom, problem solved and people can shut up about it.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cmaprice
    @theicon said:
    " slap in the face of this country, the original creators would be angry the world hates as it is  now our own ideals and fiction hate america  something is wrong  the day superman renounces the usa it a big wake up call about the real world  whats next Captain Un-america....or Captain unconstitutional  ...TheX-usa-Men......Unjustice league of America  the UJLA, The Unamerican Avengers  and supes is now                       Super Anti US-Man...brave new world "
    I lol'd.
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Eyz

The conclusion to get from all this is that,
    Superman loves the country. Superman loves the concept and ideology of the USA and is ready to die trying to protect it. But he doesn't necessary always agree with its politics and rules (and is already breaking them as a vigilante).

Like Captain America. (read: Civil War)

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Who honestly gives a crap? Whether he's a citizen or not, it's his home, he loves it, he just can't vote there anymore. Superman belongs to the world anyway.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#16  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @theicon said:
    " slap in the face of this country, the original creators would be angry the world hates as it is  now our own ideals and fiction hate america  something is wrong  the day superman renounces the usa it a big wake up call about the real world  whats next Captain Un-america....or Captain unconstitutional  ...TheX-usa-Men......Unjustice league of America  the UJLA, The Unamerican Avengers  and supes is now                       Super Anti US-Man...brave new world "
    YOU MAD?
    CombatCraigFM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CombatCraigFM

Am I the only one who thought the story in Action #900 was just a fun, bonus story and had nothing to do with current continuity?

ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By ShirEPanjshir
    @theicon said:
    Uhm. The Avengers aren't all American, take Black Panther for example.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ssejllenrad

Complete opposite of Thor. His homeland, Asgard itself, wanted to be an American Citizen! Hehe! Unfortunately, the illegal alien was found out by Osborn.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@CombatCraigFM said:
    " Am I the only one who thought the story in Action #900 was just a fun, bonus story and had nothing to do with current continuity? "
    I was actually desperately hoping it WASN'T that.

In terms of the conflicting messages between comics…. maybe #900 takes place after Grounded?

I mean, Superboy #8 mentioned it took place after Action Comics #901-904 which won't be coming out until the end of the month through August.
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Grim said:
    " @DH69 said:
    "

way to flip-flop dc...

"
    its not flip-flopping. Superman wanted to do more around the world, but the world see's him as America's enforcer. He never said he didnt believe in America anymore. He said he wanted more than America to believe in him.

i do not get what the big deal is here. Its been massively annoying to me that silver age masters like Elogated man and Blue Beetle can die without a word outside of the comics community being spoken, but Superman expresses a desire to help more than out country and its all over the internet. READ THE COMIC! He didnt take up communism or join al qaeda.

His attempts to do his job outside of America almost caused an international incident because people thought he was working for the American government, so he renounced his citizenship so next time he had to save a life in another country he didnt trigger a war.

this whole media frenzy is retarded. "
    QFT
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Primmaster64
    @william knowles said:
    " NOT just America, but the world. "
    true
    BlueStarr86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BlueStarr86

...Okay... I'm still not sure why all of this is a big deal, he's a fictional character, his citizenship doesn't matter that much frankly. A lot of people got up in arms about this, yes I realize it's friggin' SUPERMAN, but at the end of the day he's still little more than ink, paper, and actors. He probably did it to convince everyone to create that which is impossible right now: a unified Earth. Which would be nice, but I don't foresee it happening in my lifetime, unless aliens invade.

ld12278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ld12278

Hey, I understand him not legally having the Earth birth certificate, but why doesn't he just apply for citizenship? Considering all the Kryptonain relations he has brought to Earth, why don't they just get them all citizenship? They could be planetary immigrants! I don't have anything against Kryptonian-Americans!

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

This entire debate is stupid. Some one took words out of context and some one else just as dumb made the mistake of trying to get them to see reason. There's two different fires and each one is stoking the others flames.

windiebird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By windiebird

Seeing the reaction to 900 has been exasperating and terrifying for me.

Superman never intended to act as an agent of the political US. The ideal of America, sure, he's completely about the Truth, Justice, Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

These aren't concepts trademarked by the USA, however. We're one planet and one species and in this fictional universe, we have an alien protector who sees these traits as possible for all of us. Life isn't fair but Superman is the character who will never let us down. All of us. Not just the USA us.

I would beg anyone claiming that DC or Superman hates America take a long hard look at the history of the character and read 900 again.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Caligula

Kind of a Shame, I liked Superman when he was questioning things. and Not having blind loyalty.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Trodorne
    @Caligula said:
    " Kind of a Shame, I liked Superman when he was questioning things. and Not having blind loyalty. "
    i agree.

but on another note. Most people believe that superman lives in his fortress of solitude. that would be common fact for anyone who lives in DC universe. technically that fortress is on Canadian soil in the north pole. be it magnetic or true north, its still in canada. so should he not have either a canadian citizenship?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Caligula
    @Trodorne said:
    " @Caligula said:
    " Kind of a Shame, I liked Superman when he was questioning things. and Not having blind loyalty. "
    i agree. but on another note. Most people believe that superman lives in his fortress of solitude. that would be common fact for anyone who lives in DC universe. technically that fortress is on Canadian soil in the north pole. be it magnetic or true north, its still in canada. so should he not have either a canadian citizenship? "
    kind of funny that everyone sees him as an American poster boy, when he chooses to not even be a part of American society, by living outside the US.
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Trodorne
    @Caligula

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#31  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

go back to Krypton, alien commie!

nah just kidding! Love yah! Kal!
    Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jordanstine
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By IrishX

I'm sorry but when I see comments like.... "He is not just looking to protect the U.S. but instead is a savior for the world. "   All I can think is when did he ever just protect the U.S.? Hasn't he always been a world protector? Being a minor back story in an anniversary issue I didn't think it was a big deal but I can completely understand how some could be insulted by #900 and feel that since Supes has always been a world hero it served no purpose other than insulting them.

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sergotron

F U Superman, get out of our country. Nobody likes you.

Out_of_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Out_of_Space
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " Who honestly gives a crap? Whether he's a citizen or not, it's his home, he loves it, he just can't vote there anymore. Superman belongs to the world anyway. "
    Finaly a comment that i agree with.
    LordTaronji101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By LordTaronji101

I'm sure this is one of those things that is temporary. Its what writers do to show what they dislike about the world around them. I mean no disrespect but you shouldn't worry, he'll be back.

Or if anything give him some international citizenship, like from the UN or something.

Avatar image for marshal_victory
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Marshal Victory

Point 1: Action 900  9 page back up story is now belived to not be canon .

Point 2: You can be a world hero an still be american .Theirs been many in history. Just like from other countries.

Point 3: Rehasing past action 900 coments an ignoring whats just presented to you for those america haters doesnt make you look smart.Worse than my spelling actually !

Point 4: He defines "the american way" as what many of us has said it was .What was in Declaration of Independence  an imho the bill of rights.Not any curent presidents policy.

Point 5:Are we realy going to have this hes canadian argument again? Just because Jerry Siegal was born in canada? He moved to america at age 10 .He was a american citizen Who lived an died in america.Joe Shuster also american was the other half that made the character .Just becasue its on film .. doesnt make it true.Much like 9 page back up stories.

Point 6: Last one i have time for .It could have been added last minute . It is not imposible for dc or marvel to redo stories at the last minute .Their was a spider man story line that got changed becasue of bomb threats at marvel.An that was back in the 80s i belive.Would be much easyer now.

AndyPhifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AndyPhifer

This might be the most pandering piece of fiction I've ever read. Pathetic that they responded to the backlash with this shit.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#39  Edited By Outside_85

It's better he is not, since americans are only second to the french in how great they believe their nation is.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

This debate is also starting to remind me of how the Outsiders formed. In that case it was more the JLA as a whole, but still. Superman lives in America, and does the majority of his regular crime fighting there. And of curse the color scheme for his costume doesn't help either. And him being a core member of The Justice League of AMERICA…

The CHARACTERS know Superman as an American hero. Most superheroes are American. When foreign heroes come up, it's made very clear that they are foreign. With Batman it's not the same problem because of how he operates, but Superman always does his best to get along with the authorities and the government and so on. So when he makes a demonstration in a country like that, it's not unreasonable for the characters to think that he was there was part of the government's will.

It's why he couldn't go to Markovia to help the civil war when Lucius Fox was in trouble. I thought it was a great little backup story, and I actually was afraid it wouldn't have any impact BECAUSE it was a backup story.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Caligula
    @The Mighty Monarch said:
    " This debate is also starting to remind me of how the Outsiders formed. In that case it was more the JLA as a whole, but still. Superman lives in America, and does the majority of his regular crime fighting there. And of curse the color scheme for his costume doesn't help either. And him being a core member of The Justice League of AMERICA…

The CHARACTERS know Superman as an American hero. Most superheroes are American. When foreign heroes come up, it's made very clear that they are foreign. With Batman it's not the same problem because of how he operates, but Superman always does his best to get along with the authorities and the government and so on. So when he makes a demonstration in a country like that, it's not unreasonable for the characters to think that he was there was part of the government's will.

It's why he couldn't go to Markovia to help the civil war when Lucius Fox was in trouble. I thought it was a great little backup story, and I actually was afraid it wouldn't have any impact BECAUSE it was a backup story.
    "
    Superman does not live in America.

He lives somewhere in the North, in the fortress of solitude.
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Caligula said:
    "
    "

This debate is also starting to remind me of how the Outsiders formed. In that case it was more the JLA as a whole, but still. Superman lives in America, and does the majority of his regular crime fighting there. And of curse the color scheme for his costume doesn't help either. And him being a core member of The Justice League of AMERICA…

"
    Superman does not live in America.He lives somewhere in the North, in the fortress of solitude.
                "

Realy?So http://www.comicvine.com/lois-lane/29-1808/ must have a hella comute to work then right?
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Caligula
    @Marshal Victory said:
    " @Caligula said:
    "
    "

"
    Superman does not live in America.He lives somewhere in the North, in the fortress of solitude.
                "

Realy?So http://www.comicvine.com/lois-lane/29-1808/ must have a hella comute to work then right? "
    Superman can fly pretty fast.

what does Lois have to do with this anyway.
    stuamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By stuamerica

I find it interesting that so many works are heralded as being better because of their political commentary, especially when it presents more liberal viewpoints or lambastes "mainstream society".  Yet when the (albeit mostly useless) talking heads see something sinister and malicious in a story, they are being too critical of just a story. 
    Most likely it was written well before the backlash, but I can believe DC was trying to have it both ways just in case of backlash.  They are a huge corporation wanting attention but afraid of scaring away potential customers.
    Fact is, some of us are getting tired of hearing how much America sucks, and the way it was stated was poorly stated and smacked of the speeches we are tired of.  The panels are not unexpected and will probably go unnoticed (nobody in the media cares when someone says something uplifting or good), yet is nice to see even if a bit "sorry about the renouncement" in appearance.

Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Marshal Victory

@stuamerica: I offer a humble ditto.Well said .

@Caligula
    Because um their married...

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Caligula
    @Marshal Victory:
    keeps her from living with him in the Fortress of Solitude why?
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Billy Batson

Superman belongs to the world

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Darkmount1

Now this revelation is very reassuring. So to the idiots left, right and nearly-right who went ahead and blew it out of proportion:

IN YOUR FIVE-YEAR-OLD FACES, YOU BIG BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Marshal Victory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Marshal Victory
    @Caligula said:
    "

@Marshal Victory: keeps her from living with him in the Fortress of Solitude why?

"

Then it would not be a Fortress of Solitude....

sol·i·tude (sl-td, -tyd)

n.
    1. The state or quality of being alone or remote from others.
    2. A lonely or secluded place.

See if theirs two people liveing in the fortress, then it wouldnt be lonely. So definition 2 is out. If theirs two at the fortress one cant be in a state of being alone. So that knocks definiton number 1.

Oh an this whole superman belongs to the world nonsense ...um. Atm warner brothers owns him for a while that is.An their headquartered in Burbank California in the U.S.A. you.. the world .. dont own him.Sorry.You can have Captian Planet tho.
    Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Caligula
    @Marshal Victory said:

" @Caligula said:

"

@Marshal Victory: keeps her from living with him in the Fortress of Solitude why?

"

Then it would not be a Fortress of Solitude....

sol·i·tude (sl-td, -tyd)

n.
    1. The state or quality of being alone or remote from others. 2. A lonely or secluded place.

See if theirs two people liveing in the fortress, then it wouldnt be lonely. So definition 2 is out. If theirs two at the fortress one cant be in a state of being alone. So that knocks definiton number 1.

Oh an this whole superman belongs to the world nonsense ...um. Atm warner brothers owns him for a while that is.An their headquartered in Burbank California in the U.S.A. you.. the world .. dont own him.Sorry.You can have Captian Planet tho.

"
    taking it you don't read much superman.
    and I know what Solitude means smart ass.

he has brought several people to his home (the fortress of solitude). It's just name.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.