Follow

Stephanie Brown

Character » Stephanie Brown appears in 789 issues.

Stephanie Brown is the Cluemaster's daughter. She becomes the Spoiler to "spoil" her father's criminal plots, and dated Tim Drake while he was Robin. Steph temporarily becomes Robin when Tim is forced to quit by his father. Later, she briefly resumes being Spoiler before Cassandra Cain decides to pass her the mantle of Batgirl. In the New 52 and Rebirth, she's back to being The Spoiler.

Favorite thing about Spoiler?

• 84 results
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hawkingbird

I love how she brings out the best in Tim and Cass. With Steph, Tim isn't as mopey and DARK and wrathful, and Cass can have fun and trust someone.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

She has a cute costume...Purple is my fave color...And she's also a nice breather from CC

Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Teen Manatee

Hawkingbird said:
    "I love how she brings out the best in Tim and Cass. With Steph, Tim isn't as mopey and DARK and wrathful, and Cass can have fun and trust someone."
    THAT. and she looks really good. :D
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hawkingbird

It's not purple guys! It's eggplant ~ how many times must Steph say it?

Yeah, Steph is really cute.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pixelized

i'll cut you

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hawkingbird

-grabs an eggplant neck protector and vest-

Bring it!

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7  Edited By LexiCat

My favorite thing about Stephanie is that she's self-made.  She was somewhat of a natural athlete, but still lacked any type of training when she originally took up the mantle of Spoiler.  All of her gadgets and everything were created by her, after having seen what Batman and Robin had.  It shows a true ingenuity as well as creativity.  She was still able to keep up with and often encounter the Bat in fights and she had no Batmobile or Bike or any other motorized transportation.

She is a complex character driven by her emotions to atone for her father's life of crime.  Everything about her is genuine and that's totally refresing.  I couldn't be happier they brought her back,  even if it is complicating Tim's love life. 

Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Teen Manatee
    LexiCat said:
    "My favorite thing about Stephanie is that she's self-made.  She was somewhat of a natural athlete, but still lacked any type of training when she originally took up the mantle of Spoiler.  All of her gadgets and everything were created by her, after having seen what Batman and Robin had.  It shows a true ingenuity as well as creativity.  She was still able to keep up with and often encounter the Bat in fights and she had no Batmobile or Bike or any other motorized transportation.

She is a complex character driven by her emotions to atone for her father's life of crime.  Everything about her is genuine and that's totally refresing.  I couldn't be happier they brought her back,  even if it is complicating Tim's love life. "
    cool! that makes me like her even more.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3
    LexiCat said:
    "My favorite thing about Stephanie is that she's self-made.  She was somewhat of a natural athlete, but still lacked any type of training when she originally took up the mantle of Spoiler.  All of her gadgets and everything were created by her, after having seen what Batman and Robin had.  It shows a true ingenuity as well as creativity.  She was still able to keep up with and often encounter the Bat in fights and she had no Batmobile or Bike or any other motorized transportation.

She is a complex character driven by her emotions to atone for her father's life of crime.  Everything about her is genuine and that's totally refresing.  I couldn't be happier they brought her back,  even if it is complicating Tim's love life. "
                 That why I love her.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pixelized
    Hawkingbird said:
    "-grabs an eggplant neck protector and vest-

Bring it!"
    LOL
    LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LexiCat

She's a great character.  I didn't agree with her not getting her own memorial in Batman's Batcave, but since she really isn't dead I won't complain about that too much.  She has had a very hard life and her dynamic with Tim allows them to explore sides of themselves they don't often show.  I love that she faces Tim to deal with his emotions, because I felt in the way they were writing him,  he was "Mini-Batman".  It's okay to never fight angry, but it's also just as okay to fight with passion.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hawkingbird
    LexiCat said:

So true. My favorite scene ever was her in her Spoiler costume, driving her bicycle to a crime scene.
    Avatar image for ____poison_ivy____
    ::..Poison Ivy..::

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have seen that scan and I agree..  that was a great moment.  It just showed the level of determination she had and the depths she would push herself to become an effective force in Gotham. 

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NightFang3

I like how she didn't let being pregnant by her ex-boyfriend get in the way of her crime fighting.

( P.S. I wonted the baby to be Tim's. )

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hawkingbird

I'd be surprised. Having Robin the Girl Wonder be a mother is surprising enough, but Robin the Boy Wonder be a father? Imagine how many letters they'd get claiming that DC "raped their childhood"

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NightFang3
    Hawkingbird said:
    "I'd be surprised. Having Robin the Girl Wonder be a mother is surprising enough, but Robin the Boy Wonder be a father? Imagine how many letters they'd get claiming that DC "raped their childhood""
                 I was thinking it would have been funny to see what Batman would have done or said  to Tim after he found out about the baby.

( P.S. Don't you think he would look cute with a baby. ) 
    LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By LightBright

I love her "devil may care" attitude towards life. She's just a really cool character.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By pixelized

who's the av light bright..something commando right?

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By LightBright

Elsa Bloodstone.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pixelized

oh, i was far from close

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hawkingbird
    NightFang said:
     I was thinking it would have been funny to see what Batman would have done or said  to Tim after he found out about the baby.

( P.S. Don't you think he would look cute with a baby. ) "

Oh, that would be swell. I wanna see Bats give Tim "the talk" first. And Tim would look adorable with a baby. I have a picture of Cass holding a puppy somewhere, and I love it.
    Teen Manatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teen Manatee
    NightFang said:
    "I like how she didn't let being pregnant by her ex-boyfriend get in the way of her crime fighting.

( P.S. I wonted the baby to be Tim's. )"

wow. I didnt know about that. Quite surprising..
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NightFang3
    Teen Manatee said:
    "NightFang said:
    "I like how she didn't let being pregnant by her ex-boyfriend get in the way of her crime fighting.

( P.S. I wonted the baby to be Tim's. )"

wow. I didnt know about that. Quite surprising.."
                  My friend were have you been?
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hawkingbird
    Teen Manatee said:

wow. I didnt know about that. Quite surprising.."

Yeah, it was a while ago, like 10 years. I miss Dixon ;-;
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NightFang3

What ever heppen to the baby and was it a boy or a girl?

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hawkingbird

She never found out. Tim knew, but when he was about to tell Steph, she said "No. I don't want to know" or something along the lines of that. It was really sad. She gave sie up for adoption.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NightFang3
    Hawkingbird said:
    "She never found out. Tim knew, but when he was about to tell Steph, she said "No. I don't want to know" or something along the lines of that. It was really sad. She gave sie up for adoption."
                 That is sad and I was thinking that the baby would become the next Robin or something like that.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hawkingbird

:D . The idea of a happy Steph and Tim with their adorable baby all swinging around rooftops together!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NightFang3
    Hawkingbird said:
    ":D . The idea of a happy Steph and Tim with their adorable baby all swinging around rooftops together!"
                  That would be fun to see and think about what how funny it would be when he becomes a gandfather.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By John Valentine

Her death.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NightFang3
    John Valentine said:
    "Her death."
                 Thats not cool dude.
    ~The Wanderer~

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#32  Edited By ~The Wanderer~
    John Valentine said:
    "Her death."
    Technically that never happened, though...
    Slinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slinger

My favorite thing about her is that her name reminds me of bad milk. I think that's funny.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John Valentine
    ~The Wanderer~ said:
    "John Valentine said:
    "Her death."
    Technically that never happened, though..."

Exactly.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hawkingbird

Ewwww, Spoiler had the grossest most squickiest death scene ever.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By LexiCat

Actually,  her death was very memorable as well.  Mainly because of the manner it was done, how the scene was written, and the almost graphic images.  She was literally tortured to death,  all so Black Mask could learn secrets about Batman.  She, to her last breath, remained loyal.  She didn't beg and she never backed down.  That is another reason why she's an honestly amazing character.  He was killing her, slowly.....  but she never gave up.  She was tough to the last.

To have it retconed, I'm glad because we're allowed to have her back.  She was missed, so her once again swinging around through Gotham and  hopefully falling back in love with Tim is something I'm enjoying reading.  But.... losing such a powerful image and such a truly emotional display of her tenacity is a shame.  Heroes always ask themselves if they're willing to sacrifice it all for the greater good.  And in this case, she really did.  She kept Batman's secrets so he could continue what he does best.

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hawkingbird

I liked how she was tough, but I absolutely HATE HATE HATE how she was posed. It seemed to me like it was insanely sexual and disturbing for someone who is:

a) A minor
    b) Bleeding and dying.

I love how heroic she was, but it was fucking stupid of Batman to give her the passwords and of Leslie Thompkins to let her die. It was disturbing the way she was posed. Imagine if in "A Death In The Family" they had posed Jason Todd with his humongous package pointed towards the reader along with his ass, while bleeding and cut.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LexiCat

Hawk, I agree with the pose.  It did seem more suggestive than necessary for the scene.  I think, in a way that's what made the death so unforgettable.  It was like they subjected her to this torture and made some sick example of her.  I don't agree with that at all.  I believe there should have been more dignity afforded her in her moments before death.

Leslie ultimately didn't let her die, though..    Despite wanting to make an example of her (from Leslie's own words, mind you) she really couldn't let the girl die.  It was seriously moving to have Batman there, holding her in her final moments.  It showed that despite everything,  he respected her.   It angered me a little because he seemed to lose it way more when Jason was murdered by Joker.  I don't know if it was because it was the Joker who did it or what, but I always felt his death was more significant to Batman than Stephanie's.  Hence the lack of a memorial for her in the Batcave. 

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hawkingbird

The "Leslie was just kidding so she could save Steph and the continent of Africa!" thing makes me ever-so-delighted.

The lack-of-memorial thing has been done to death, and I'm sure everyone agrees it's silly for Steph not to have a memorial so I won't even talk any more about it.

And you're right, I loved Bruce there, holding her hand, saying, "Yeah, you really *were* Robin" . I can understand him losing it more with Jason because Jason was his adopted son, whereas Steph was his adopted son's girlfriend, but there's no reason for how little Tim cared about her death.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NightFang3
    Hawkingbird said:
    "The "Leslie was just kidding so she could save Steph and the continent of Africa!" thing makes me ever-so-delighted.

The lack-of-memorial thing has been done to death, and I'm sure everyone agrees it's silly for Steph not to have a memorial so I won't even talk any more about it.

And you're right, I loved Bruce there, holding her hand, saying, "Yeah, you really *were* Robin" . I can understand him losing it more with Jason because Jason was his adopted son, whereas Steph was his adopted son's girlfriend, but there's no reason for how little Tim cared about her death."
                  I think he was going to black Mask but Catwoman did it before he could.
    Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hawkingbird

I doubt he would have. War Games was in 2004, and she killed him in 2006. I do have a happy fanart idea of Cass and Steph sitting on the couch, munching popcorn, watching the video of Selina shooting him in the face.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LexiCat

I know it "no memorial" has been done to death, but still..    I like harping on things.   Ask me my views on One More Day/Brand New Day sometime.  -laughs-  But seriously,  I always wondered why Tim didn't try to get revenge?  Was it because he was slowly becoming more like Batman and saw revenge wasn't necessarily the answer?  We all know those lofty moral standards Batman has.  (yes,  insert sarcasm here!)  And we all know the "no kill" rule,  despite this being one time where I truly think that could have been lifted.

But him telling her she "was" Robin was definitely something I'll take with me from Spoiler's  supposed death.  She'd worked so hard, but she knew that deep down she wouldn't be detached the way Bruce and Tim,  even Dick were.  It's what made  her unique.  She fights with passion and that's really something the whole Bat family misses sometimes.  Batman's so cold and calculating, always figuring out angles and such.  Steph just jumps in there with both feet, fists flying.  She just made everything a little more crazy, alot more fun, and that's what's special about her.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#43  Edited By No_Name_

Barbara Gordon was a lot like that, when she had run run as Batgirl...even as Oracle. But this thread isn't about her :P

Exusiai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#44  Edited By Exusiai
    LexiCat said:
    "I know it "no memorial" has been done to death, but still..    I like harping on things.   Ask me my views on One More Day/Brand New Day sometime.  -laughs-  But seriously,  I always wondered why Tim didn't try to get revenge?  Was it because he was slowly becoming more like Batman and saw revenge wasn't necessarily the answer?  We all know those lofty moral standards Batman has.  (yes,  insert sarcasm here!)  And we all know the "no kill" rule,  despite this being one time where I truly think that could have been lifted.

But him telling her she "was" Robin was definitely something I'll take with me from Spoiler's  supposed death.  She'd worked so hard, but she knew that deep down she wouldn't be detached the way Bruce and Tim,  even Dick were.  It's what made  her unique.  She fights with passion and that's really something the whole Bat family misses sometimes.  Batman's so cold and calculating, always figuring out angles and such.  Steph just jumps in there with both feet, fists flying.  She just made everything a little more crazy, alot more fun, and that's what's special about her."

Trust me guys you don't want to ask her her views on BND, A WHOLE thread to itsself.

As to Steph,

What I like about her is the fact she is the daughter of a criminal, who got into crimefighting to stop her dad (Cluemaster)  and in the course of it she ran into and fell in love with Tim.

the fact that She continued to operate as Spoiler even though Batman told her to quit.

The Fact that she recognized she was not ready to be a mother and  choose to give the child for adoption, rather than abortion.

Oh and the fact that she's dead, and they are Mentioning it in Titans (So it's more Canon in my eyes)

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hawkingbird
    LexiCat said:
    She just made everything a little more crazy, alot more fun, and that's what's special about her."
    THAT. That is a great description of Steph.
    LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LexiCat

Thanks!  -smiles-  When I think back on all she did,  first as Spoiler and later as Robin,  that's really how I saw her.  She shook up the "status quo" for Batman and for Tim.  And sometimes, a little shake up really does wonders.  She may have not been "the best" Robin, but she earned everyone's respect while she held that mantle.  And that's another vital thing I'll remember about her.  She did things her on way and yet, somehow she still took care of business.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Calvin
    LexiCat said:
    "Actually,  her death was very memorable as well.  Mainly because of the manner it was done, how the scene was written, and the almost graphic images.  She was literally tortured to death,  all so Black Mask could learn secrets about Batman.  She, to her last breath, remained loyal.  She didn't beg and she never backed down.  That is another reason why she's an honestly amazing character.  He was killing her, slowly.....  but she never gave up.  She was tough to the last."

Very well said, you have a good point of view!

I on another hand don't know her too much. She died before I start reading DC comics, so I didn't get to know her before she come back, but I did read stuff on the internet about people who wanted her back and I think it's amazing when character is able to get such affection from readers.

LexiCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By LexiCat

Thank you, Calvin!  

Really?  Oh, she is a great character!  Check out her page, here.  It give a wonderful summary of her and provides some great images as well.  She had her own website,  Project Girl Wonder,  who was in the forefront for not only getting her a memorial in the Batcave, but keeping just who she was and what she did fresh in the minds of old readers and new ones, alike!   She did have a lot of support from readers, because she was such a standout.  For someone who was simply considered a sidekick or a background character,  her following grew and grew until they were forced to bring her back and give her and Robin their own mini-series. 

If you like DC and you like the Batfamily?  I would totally suggest reading up on Spoiler!  You won't be disappointed!

Hawkingbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hawkingbird

Spoiler is the most relatable Batfamily member too.

Batman's PARENTS ARE DEAD.
    Huntress' entire family is dead and she was raped as a kid before becoming a brutal mafia-hunter.
    Robin's PARENTS/STEPMOTHER/BEST FRIEND/EX-GIRLFRIEND/FRIEND/GIRLFRIEND ohwaitnotgirlfriend ARE DEAD.
    Not even going to touch Batgirl.
    Oracle is crazy-ass paranoid genius
    Spoiler comes from a broken home, one of her parents had a substance abuse problem, she tried her best at everything, and is a pretty damn good superhero.

Calvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Calvin

Yes I remember Project Girl Wonder - it was one of the first websites I found about her.

I definably like DC, and I will check out Spoiler, on Robin issues maybe?

For now I'm planning on following up NEW KRYPTON plot!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.