Follow

Lobo

Character » Lobo appears in 1133 issues.

The last of the Czarnians, Lobo is known and feared across the universe as a bounty hunter who never misses his mark. Super-strong, immortal and unstoppable, the Main Man has frequently clashed with Superman, although they have on occasion found themselves on the same side.

'Lobo' Gets A Movie

• 98 results
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

Warner Brothers disinclined to re-launch 'Superman' movie, but no problem making 'Lobo' film?

Lobo
    Lobo

It seems like this is the decade of comic book related movies! The most recent comic book movie news comes from the folks over at Variety who have reported that director Guy Richie (Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels)  will be directing a Lobo film. Shooting on the film is set to begin in early next year. It seems they may already have a first draft of the script, written by Joel Silver, and Akiva Goldsman. Andrew Rona is set to produce the movie with Steve Richards and Kerry Foster as executive producers.  .

It is interesting to me that with the recent law suit struggle Warner has had with one of their most iconic super-hero characters, Superman, that they would rather launch Lobo rather than the 'Man of Steel.' If you are unfamiliar with the character, Lobo is an alien bounty hunter in the DC universe including the '52' story arc. The character has also appeared in several Warner animated cartoons (Batman: The Animated Series, for example). It is an interesting choice to bring Lobo to the big screen, and somewhat unconventional considering the fact that he is not really a well known character! How do you feel about the news of a 'Lobo' film? Are you looking forward to it? Would you go see it? 

Oh, and remember when Guy Richie said he wanted to steer clear of superhero movies? Oh, the irony.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AtPhantom

Wow.....This was.....unexpected.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ARMIV

...ARE YOU &*@$!! KIDDING ME?!
    They'd rather do Lobo than Superman?!
    Don't they realize what they have to loose?!

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geraldthesloth

AWESOME.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By dondasch

Disaster

welshguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By welshguy79

Hey, stranger people have directed superhero adaptions. Look at Kenny Brannagh and Thor. And lets face it, in my opinion so don't go mental and want to hurt me, the majority of comic-book characters are hardly well known to the non-comic reading masses. Lobo has the potential to be an interesting movie if it gets made. Once more, give it a chance.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By geraldthesloth
    watches Lobo Paramilitary Christmas Special
    Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Decept-O

What is Warner Bros. thinking?  Seriously?   Let's put aside Superman, right, and go to the other characters like Wonder Woman--BLAST IT!   I can list so many other characters that deserve a movie and would be potential money-makers.   

I will say I'm not the biggest Lobo fan but even if I liked the character more I'd still be hard pressed to find a reason to make a movie based on him.  This is just weird, weird, weird.   

Warner Bros. keeps dropping the ball in terms of movies.  Looks like Disney/Marvel is going to spank their ass and spank it hard in terms of comic book movies.
    Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Liam Bradley

I think it could rock. But who will play Lobo? Hmmm.

5ive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 5ive

I would watch this before another superman movie. lets be real, what superman movie was actually that good.

welshguy79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By welshguy79

Just read on wikipedia... the gist of the movie goes like this "seven foot tall blue skinned superhuman who rides a pimped out motocycle lands on Earth to catch a bunch of fugitives. He teams up with a human teenaged girl to... I had to stop reading at that point. All together now... what the f-

I retract my earlier comment about giving this movie a go. A pg-13 movie about Lobo teaming up with a goddam human teenage girl is not a good idea. Its like having a small child in an Indiana Jones movie... or a Mummy sequel... or those whiny little gits in the War of the Worlds. Children belong in movies about children. And no doubt this teenage girl will be all spunky and rebellious because apparently the general public find such traits endearing in kids. Damn you Guy Ritchie. I guess having Madonna sucking all your lifeforce from you over the years has destroyed you

Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Moomin123

I bet this'll be a sci-fi/action/comedy movie. Lobo is sort of like a cross between Deadpool and Superman in my case.
    Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Citizen 14

Huh. Jeez. Didn;t see that coming.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nova`Prime`

It is a little ironic that Guy Richie would do a Lobo movie after saying he wouldn't. But since when is Lobo a superhero :) I thoroughly enjoy Guy Richie movies, Snatch was epicly awesome and so was RocknRolla. Not to mention Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, which Babs already did. I think he can do Lobo justice up on the big screen that many directors couldn't.

Don't forgot this December Sherlock Holmes will be out and I am sure it will be another win for Guy.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

FOR THE WIN!!! Guy Ritchie is one of my favorite movie-makers, "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock" being two of my all-time favorites, period. Lobo is a character made for movies like Guy has made famous, throw-in some zany sci-fi (hopefully kept to a minimum for storytelling's sake), mix with some off-the-wall violent fugitives that Lobo hunts, and of course the jailbait teenage girl tagging along, we've got a successful movie.

However, and this is a big however, doing a PG-13 rated Lobo film could really hurt it, but I suppose they're letting quite a bit slip these days, especially if it's a major studio's movie.

The thing is, which will make me nervous until I actually see a good one, Warner/DC hasn't made a good comic movie outside of Batman. Stick-up for "Superman Returns" all you want, any serious fan of the character or someone who isn't purposefully making excuses for a terrible piece of garbage-film will agree it was awful. Now we've suddenly got "Deadman", "Plastic Man", "Green Lantern", and now "Lobo" getting the green-light, with producers and directors up the wazoo. I understand their desperation to clone the success of "Iron Man" (taking a lower-tier character and creating cinema gold), but I really feel they need to pace themselves a bit more and focus on creating ONE new franchise rather than five or six at the same time. Patience and a good forward-plan, like Marvel's with their "Iron Man" leading into the other Avengers solo movies ultimately leading to the mash-up "Avengers", could only help. Flooding the streets of Hollywood will only lead to the trend that is comic book movies fade faster and faster away...

But yeah, the fact they can't make a single decent Superman flick amoungst all this is really, really sad. I feel bad for the actual fans of the character, I mean, I really don't like Supes unless he's part of a team...but I understand his importance and the reason why he's got so many fans, things that Warner Bros. apparently can't or won't get.

Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Liam Bradley
    @5ive said:
    " I would watch this before another superman movie. lets be real, what superman movie was actually that good. "
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @Liam Bradley said:
    " @5ive said:
    " I would watch this before another superman movie. lets be real, what superman movie was actually that good. "
    "
    The first two "Superman" movies from the 70's/80's. I understand if you don't like them because maybe they're a bit dated and possibly before your time, but for those of us that were kids when those came out, PURE AWESOME. And if you enjoyed them back then, they usually hold-up enough to watch them now, especially The Phantom Zone Criminals. 

"KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!"
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By geraldthesloth

I would like if Mickey Rourke played Lobo

Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

YES!

Liam Bradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Liam Bradley
    @RaptorFratBoy: Some of my favourite movies are older than the original Superman movies. I just genuinely didn't think they were that good. I can see why everyone at the time wouldv'e went nuts for it, though.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Korg
    @Babs said:
    "Oh, and remember when Guy Richie said he wanted to steer clear of superhero movies? Oh, the irony. "
    Lobo is a superhero now? I thought he was a mercenary.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By No_Name_
    @Korg said:
    " @Babs said:
    "Oh, and remember when Guy Richie said he wanted to steer clear of superhero movies? Oh, the irony. "
    Lobo is a superhero now? I thought he was a mercenary. "
    Does he appear in Superhero comic books? 

Okay then.
    Avatar image for terry_handson_x_30
    Terry Handson X 30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ARMIV said:
    " ...ARE YOU &*@$!! KIDDING ME?! They'd rather do Lobo than Superman?! Don't they realize what they have to loose?! "
    How many superman films have flopped?
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Korg
    @Babs said:
    " Does he appear in Superhero comic books?   Okay then. "
    That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for the 'tude.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@Korg said:
    " @Babs said:
    That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for the 'tude. "
    Ha.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No_Name_
    @Korg said:
    " @Babs said:
    That doesn't answer my question, but thanks for the 'tude. "
    You served me some first cutie, just returning the favor.
    DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By DMC

Lobo appeared in the Superman Animated Series not Batman TAS

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DMC said:
    " Lobo appeared in the Superman Animated Series not Batman TAS "
    And he also appeared in JLU.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Korg
    @Babs said:

" You served me some first cutie, just returning the favor. "

Don't let my reputation fool you, it was a genuine question. I'm not that familiar with the character.     
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By No_Name_
    @Korg said:
    " @Babs said:

" You served me some first cutie, just returning the favor. "

Don't let my reputation fool you, it was a genuine question. I'm not that familiar with the character.      "
    I guess the internet can be deceiving. It could have been interpreted either way.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

I guess if they did everything they could to market this AWAY from being a Superhero movie, which wouldn't be that hard, it would probably work a lot better. Don't try to make Lobo sympathetic, because he's not. Work all the human touchy-feely stuff in with the teenage girl sidekick, and have Lobo kill people and crack wise. "Based on The DC Comics Character" is all that needs to be seen, as far as any comic book-related material. 

Just the fact that any day now, I swear it, Hollywood will be tired of superheroes. Characters like Lobo will stand a better chance of surviving on their own without the label.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ARMIV
    @Terry Handson X 30 said:
    " @ARMIV said:
    " ...ARE YOU &*@$!! KIDDING ME?! They'd rather do Lobo than Superman?! Don't they realize what they have to loose?! "
    How many superman films have flopped? "
    It's not about the flopping though I must say it is a decent number.
    What gets me is the fact that DC/Warner Bros. could loose Superman if they don't make a movie, and they're not doing anything about it!
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Korg

So is he a hero in the comics, or still just a merc? His page lists him as having superhero team affiliations, but it doesn't really elaborate on his more recent history, or his connections to said teams. Just ambiguous stuff about 52.

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
    #1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be good have to keep an eye on this one.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @ARMIV said:
    " @Terry Handson X 30 said:
    " @ARMIV said:
    How many superman films have flopped? "
    It's not about the flopping though I must say it is a decent number. What gets me is the fact that DC/Warner Bros. could loose Superman if they don't make a movie, and they're not doing anything about it! "
    ...That you know of. For all we know, they could announce tomorrow plans for a new Supes flick. I mean, did anyone know about a Lobo movie being this far along before today?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By No_Name_
    @Korg said:
    " So is he a hero in the comics, or still just a merc? His page lists him as having superhero team affiliations, but it doesn't really elaborate on his more recent history, or his connections to said teams. Just ambiguous stuff about 52. "
    I'm not an expert, but I know he has appeared in Batman as well as Superman. He's also been a staple in the animated cartoons, and I believe he did a stint as a "good guy."
    Obsurity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36  Edited By Obsurity

I haven't seen any Guy Richie movie but why Lobo? There's Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Nightwing...  I guess it depends on how the writer interprets Lobo
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @Obsurity said:
    " I haven't seen any Guy Richie movie but why Lobo? There's Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Nightwing...  I guess it depends on how the writer interprets Lobo "
    Well, if you watch a Guy Ritchie movie, you'll better understand why he's perfect for a character like Lobo.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Korg
    @Babs said:

" I'm not an expert, but I know he has appeared in Batman as well as Superman. He's also been a staple in the animated cartoons, and I believe he did a stint as a "good guy." "

That's what had me wondering, as his page says:  

"  In his travels around the universe, Lobo has frequently found himself either on Earth or encountering it's heroes. Lobo is rarely diplomatic and these encounters often become violent. Lobo's first trip to Earth (as well as many later encounters) saw him clash with Superman. As both of them are immensly powerful and unable to decisively beat the other, Superman usually has to find a way to appease Lobo before the damage (and the death toll) gets to severe. Due to his inability to beat Superman, Lobo will often challenge him in an effort to finally prove he is better." 

Which leaves me wondering about his affiliations with teams, and his list of "Friends", which includes Superman. This might be the excuse I need to buy the Lobo/Authority crossover.    
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Korg said:
    " So is he a hero in the comics, or still just a merc? His page lists him as having superhero team affiliations, but it doesn't really elaborate on his more recent history, or his connections to said teams. Just ambiguous stuff about 52. "
    He's still a merc I don't ever remember him doing anything "hero" worthy.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Korg
    @geraldthesloth said:
    " He's still a merc I don't ever remember him doing anything "hero" worthy. "
    Interesting. Is he neutral with Superman at this point, or what? It also lists Guy Gardner as being his friend, which seems kind of an unlikely friendship to me.
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Korg said:
    " @geraldthesloth said:
    " He's still a merc I don't ever remember him doing anything "hero" worthy. "
    Interesting. Is he neutral with Superman at this point, or what? It also lists Guy Gardner as being his friend, which seems kind of an unlikely friendship to me. "
    Superman and him are still neutral..Guy Gardner has teamed up with him before, that's the reason I see him under the list of friends.
    Devo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Devo

Someone get Sly Stallone to direct, and cast himself as Old Man Lobo.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Korg
    @geraldthesloth said: 

" Superman and him are still neutral..Guy Gardner has teamed up with him before, that's the reason I see him under the list of friends. "

Thanks for clearing that up. (Did you notice that Babs called me "cutie"? Hope people don't get too jealous.)
    geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By geraldthesloth
    @Korg said:

" @geraldthesloth said: 

" Superman and him are still neutral..Guy Gardner has teamed up with him before, that's the reason I see him under the list of friends. "

Thanks for clearing that up. (Did you notice that Babs called me "cutie"? Hope people don't get too jealous.) "
    I detected sarcasm, ugly :p
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Does this strike anyone else as kind of twisted. They are willing to do a Lobo movie but not a Superman movie? Yeah, they screwed up the Superman flick, but just rework it the way Batman got.

You brought up a very good point about the lawsuit. That hadn't come to mind.

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Korg
    @geraldthesloth said:
    "I detected sarcasm, ugly :p "
    Quiet, you.

On-topic: I would watch this movie. That's about as strong an opinion as I can form at this point.
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

to early to say anything. need more info before i have feelings about this.
    i wouldnt say they skipped out on Superman, the made Superman Returns,
    regardless of those who didnt like it, and it has just as much rumor or more as
    this for a sequel or reboot.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By goldenkey
    @RaptorFratBoy said:
    " @Liam Bradley said:
    " @5ive said:
    "
    The first two "Superman" movies from the 70's/80's. I understand if you don't like them because maybe they're a bit dated and possibly before your time, but for those of us that were kids when those came out, PURE AWESOME. And if you enjoyed them back then, they usually hold-up enough to watch them now, especially The Phantom Zone Criminals.   "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!" "

I'm kneeling.  I"M KNEELING!!!!!
    frischdvh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By frischdvh

At least Lobo would throw a punch in his film. This could be done if done the way of the first Blade film. Low expectations high on the ultra violence.  I could see Adam Baldwin playing the lead role. The guy doesn't need to be too muscular, just tall and intimidating.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.