Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Hulk ignorance by viners

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I notice that a lot of folks low ball Hulk on comicvine. Is it due to hate or ignorance? One viner said Hulk is just an earth bound power house. Well let's look into that when compared to Hulk confronting other heroes.

Superman- ( Hulk vs. Superman 1999) Hulk breaks out of a bear hug from Supes that sends him into space. I don't recall WW, Capt. Marvel, or even Darkeid do such a feat. Some folks would say this is PIS but the issue was written by a Supes writer Roger Stern so no it's not PIS. Folks say that Supes can beat Hulk and this is TRUE, but Hulk can beat Supes also because if Solomon Grundy can KO Supes in Supeman 301 vol 1 and Dc comics presents 8 with brute force (no magic) then Hulk can do the same.

Batman- ( Batman vs. Hulk 1981) in the 2nd confrontation Batman is running away from Hulk and saying things like " how am I suppose to defeat him and it's hard enough just to stay alive!'' Very rare sight to see Bats running away.

Green lantern- ( Unlimited access 1997) Hulk break out of GL heavy chain construct.

Thor- ( Thor 385) Hulk badly beats up Thor who is bleeding, bruised and clothes in taters.

Black Bolt- ( Hulk annual 1, Hulk 172, Inhumans 12) Hulk is shown withstand BB voice which destroys a city, fighting BB and inhuman almost beating them all together.

Avengers- ( inc Hulk 316, 321, 322) 1st round Herc, Ironman, Namor and Wonderman fight Hulk to a standstill. 2nd round Hulk take both west and east coast Avengers and only loses because Banner persona is not in him.

Thanos- ( Infinty Guanlet 4, X-man/Hulk annual ) Hulk is shown whaling down on a power gem Thanos and is 1 of 4 heros that make it out alive. Hulk take on an amp 10 story Thanos and he unleashes power to rip Hulk skin off but is unable to knock him out. To the best of my knowledge Thanos have never KO Hulk and I have most of all there confrontations.

X-men- ( World War Hulk: X-men 1-3) Hulk take on 3 teams of X-men, including Juggernaut.

Fantastic Four- ( FF 26) Hulk hold his own against Avenger and FF.

Not to mention that Hulk is a TEAM buster and fought the likes of FF, Avengers, Inhumans, X-Men, Champions, Thunderbolts, Defenders, Atlas and other teams

So in light of this info does it look like Hulk is just some earth bound power house? No, that would be the Thing.

Keep in mind I'm NOT here to trash the heroes I mention above, but to shown Hulk is NO chump. I do believe Hulk can be beaten and He is NOT invincible, but in NO way is it gonna be easy to beat him. Folks need to know more of what Hulk has done in his past and history. This is why Hulk fans feel the way they do cause he's bad a$$, but some viners see him in a almost Thing level.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thedailybagel  Moderator

Mainly ignorance that most people read from wikis, like that ridiculous assumption that he starts off at 100 tons. As wel as all the people thst overrate hulk.

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By bonifidehustla

@thedailybagel said:

Mainly ignorance that most people read from wikis, like that ridiculous assumption that he starts off at 100 tons. As wel as all the people thst overrate hulk.

How can you overrate "the strongest there is." lol

Avatar image for deactivated-57d568743bdb8
    deactivated-57d568743bdb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk does have some ridiculous strength feats, at the same time he has shown many poor feats and jobbed from time to time.

Schwarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comic book noobs mostly. But its not only on hulk. People get emotional when it comes to their favorite super hero. Its hard to read every character's comic books and so it creates ignorance. I know what you mean, I recently saw this casual reader say something about Hulk being a power house at best... He's a troll or doesn't read much marvel.

RaynorNN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk get's incredible amounts of hatred and is often underrated, especially on these forums. Though the opposite also happens where people exaggerate Hulks strength and think he will literally reach his limitless strength with every opponent he faces.

To me Hulk belongs side by side with other mainstream superheroes. Under some circumstances and incarnations he is sometimes weaker, sometimes stronger then others. He deserves just as much respect as any of them, but because he isn't as "versatile" with his powers as the others and because he doesn't wear a cape(preferably a red one) or a mas with a spandex suite, he is often treated very poorly.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I must admit I take the crossovers with DC with a pinch of salt as they were fan voted and in the first Superman v Hulk encounter, I recall that Superman just stood there and deflected Hulk's punches, as if that would happen! Hulk is under-rated by DC fans mainly because he is not as versatile, no flight, no heat vision, freeze breath etc. The Hulk I think gets less respect from DC fans than most of Marvel's power houses, as they see him simply as a brick people forgetting that he has taken on teams before and always held his own....he does have a weakness on battle forums, which is BFR, but on that note I quote Peter David, when asked if Superman could BFR Hulk, he said "good luck with that..." I.e. Hulk is not just gonna stand there and be carried off into space!!

bonifidehustla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

I must admit I take the crossovers with DC with a pinch of salt as they were fan voted and in the first Superman v Hulk encounter, I recall that Superman just stood there and deflected Hulk's punches, as if that would happen! Hulk is under-rated by DC fans mainly because he is not as versatile, no flight, no heat vision, freeze breath etc. The Hulk I think gets less respect from DC fans than most of Marvel's power houses, as they see him simply as a brick people forgetting that he has taken on teams before and always held his own....he does have a weakness on battle forums, which is BFR, but on that note I quote Peter David, when asked if Superman could BFR Hulk, he said "good luck with that..." I.e. Hulk is not just gonna stand there and be carried off into space!!

Didn't Hulk breathe in space in WWH.

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By dernman

Hulk is no more underrated than he is overrated on CV.

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

What does that means exactly, when compared to Batman who is sooooooo overrated and never underrated. Viners see him as god on this site, lol. I think folks just don't like Hulk cause if they Know what he's done in the past then it back's up what he can do and he wouldn't be overrated. In other words if you hate Hulk fine but at least take into consideration what he's done in the past. That list I wrote above proves he should be in the ranks of Superman, Thor, Juggernaut, SS, WW, Capt. Marvel and that NOT overrating it.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dernman

@hulk465: What does that means exactly, when compared to Batman who is sooooooo overrated and never underrated.

Whatever Batman is or isn't has nothing to do with Hulk. Hulk is simply not anymore underrated than he's overrated on this site.

Viners see him as god on this site, lol.

Is that suppose to bother me? Your statement, true or not, are you under the mistaken impression that it changes anything about how the Hulk has been rated on this site?

I think folks just don't like Hulk cause if they Know what he's done in the past then it back's up what he can do

or you know a more factual reason is the character just doesn't appeal to them.

and he wouldn't be overrated.

or you know a more factual statement that it's not really hate but a difference of opinion on what his capabilities are.

In other words if you hate Hulk fine but at least take into consideration what he's done in the past.

read above.

Edit: Also I challenge you to show me where I expressed any feeling of like or dislike for the character either way.

That list I wrote above proves he should be in the ranks of Superman, Thor, Juggernaut, SS, WW, Capt. Marvel and that NOT overrating it.

oh I like that statement let me make one just like yours. The posts we both made in this thread proves you're not very objective on the subject therefore not a very good judge.

EDIT: just to head off any unobjective false claims, I never stated an opinion on whether or not he's in the league of those characters.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

There is an element of truth in that some over zealous hulk fans over-rate him and others under-rate him, but the big posters on this site who are mainly DC fans definitely under-rate him. As a fan of both Marvel and DC, I know where he sits power wise and its right in with the mainstream heroes, Thor, Superman, etc, as Raynor says. You only have to look at the great fights Superman has with DC's brick powerhouse Mongul to know that Hulk v Superman would be a great tussle for the MOS.

RaynorNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

I agree that Hulk is one of the most overrated while at the same time being the most underrated character in comicvine. However i disagree that he is no more underrated than he is overrated. Going by what is more plausible and what i see happen regularly on the forums there are a ton more haters and fanboys of other characters that underrate Hulk then there are those "unreasonable" Hulk fans that overrate him.

So again saying that he is "no more underrated than he is overrated" is definitely false imo.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Superguy1591

Hulk is written with cheat that makes him either powerful enough to match Superman or weak enough to be matched by Bane.

It depends on how "angry" he is. If you said everyone he loves was just murdered in front of him, the. You got a Superman level Hulk.

If you tell me that he dropped his ice cream cone, why would he be a challenge to Superman?

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Wow based on your long reply it looks like I offended you. I like the way you try to hook me in but your comments don't bother me like it did to YOU. So I'll just leave at that.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dernman

@hulk465 said:

@dernman:

Wow based on your long reply it looks like I offended you. I like the way you try to hook me in but your comments don't bother me like it did to YOU. So I'll just leave at that.

Riiiight because trying to fully respond to someone must mean you're upset. Never mind there isn't indication of me getting upset in what I wrote. Your logic is faulty. Maybe it's wishful thinking with over your irrelevant, weak attempts to deflect and target Batman. You'd have to do better than saying something I agree with to upset me. Good luck with that though. :p

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I notice a lot of the Superman fans who normally jump in on these sorts of threads aren't here right now..too busy screaming about the latest Batman v Superman fight in Batman # 36 over on the Batman forum...pages of it, about what a bad writer Snyder is bla, bla, bla. Its hilarious actually....look, I like superman a lot, but some of his fans really get very touchy when things don't go his way!!

But the current Batman v Superman scrap in Batman 36 kind of proves the point about comic book heroes, one day they struggle against someone you'd expect them to paste and another day they pull of ridiculous feats you'd think were beyond them. So Batman with his trick suit gives Supes a hard time and Wolverine has given Hulk some realy tough scraps in the past despite having barely more than peak human physical strength.

but yeah I think I agree with @raynorz, there are more people queuing up to bash the Hulk than there are those who totally over-rate him. I can think of only one regular poster on this forum who thinks Hulk can beat anyone and he isn't on here right now...

RaynorNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Your post is the perfect example of how little knowledge people have about the Hulk. Not even the weakest incarnations of the Hulk are even close to being as weak as Bane. A freshly transformed Hulk with basically no anger/rage was already preforming planetary level feats. The whole 100 ton thing hasn't been a thing for quite a while and especially after Hulk got a permanent strength boost in Planet Hulk.

If his entire family is murdered you have a WBH+ level Hulk which is already above Superman by quite a margin.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I am a huge Hulk fan but I'm always telling people he can't beat Superman. This is not a strength issue because I firmly believe Hulk can reach Superman's strength level but Superman has higher base strength and Hulk cannot keep pace with his speed and speed is way more important when strength is roughly equal.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

RaynorNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RaynorNZ

@joshmightbe: Except for the fact that WBH makes speed pretty much a non factor. Something even Sup fans agreed to, read some of the CAV's here.

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

Base on your reply you sound like your STILL offended. I think you took what I said WAY to personal. I didn't attack you personally like you did twice to me and that's OK; I'm just pointing it out. What you need to do is lighten up and don't take things so personal unless some one directly attacks you. Anyways, No ill will on my side of the fence against you. peace home slice.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dernman

@hulk465: Base on your reply you sound like your STILL offended. I think you took what I said WAY to personal.

Don't assume. You're posts prove you're not any good at it.

I didn't attack you personally like you did twice to me and that's OK;

Did I say you did?

I'm just pointing it out.

And I pointed out how you were wrong.

What you need to do is lighten up and don't take things so personal unless some one directly attacks you.

You need to get a better understanding of peoples moods, reactions or it's going to cause problems in your life. I've been calm throughout this discussion even amused at times.

Anyways, No ill will on my side of the fence against you. peace home slice.

There are none on mine either.

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hulk465

@ Dernman-If you know the difference between right and wrong then you would know your condescending tone in your reply means that some thing does bother you. Try to end your reply without attacking me and that will prove your NOT offended because I don't need to, to speak to you.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dernman

@hulk465 said:

If you know the difference between right and wrong then you would know your condescending tone in your reply means that some thing does bother you. Try to end your reply without attacking me and that will prove your NOT offended because I don't need to, to speak to you.

Is that directed towards me? If it was then why not reply to me? You're wrong because my being condescending or not, which really is arguable, does not equal being upset. Nor does the non arguable sarcasm or bluntness. I do not believe I was attacking you. I made an observation and pointed it out. There isn't a reason to prove that beyond what I've already done.

To be honest, at least to me, it really seems like you're the one taking this personally and are upset. I can only assume this but maybe the reason you believe me to be upset is because you are? I don't know.

I do know that at this point it's ridiculous to continue further, otherwise both come off looking bad right or wrong. So I've said my final peace on the subject and divest myself of this whole thing.

Edit: Ignore the crossed out. After refreshing I saw that you edited your post and tried to make it a reply though it didn't work.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rubear
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.