Follow

Hulk

Character » Hulk appears in 7771 issues.

After being bombarded with a massive dose of gamma radiation while saving a young man's life during an experimental bomb testing, Dr. Robert Bruce Banner was transformed into the Incredible Hulk: a green behemoth who is the living personification of rage and pure physical strength.

Can the Hulk survive in space?

• 51 results
    Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Power NeXus

Would he be killed if someone were to throw him into space?
    Avatar image for thejuggernautpunch
    TheJuggernautpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think yes . I remember someone posted a video on youtube with scans showing that Hulk can suffocate in space . He can hold his breath , but not for long . Plus Hulk needs to rest , eat and drink .

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PrinceIMC

He should but they'd probably come up with some BS reason for him to survive. The Gamma radiation keeps his body from freezing and he goes into hibernation or something silly like that.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By iLLituracy

No Caption Provided
    It's in the same issue where his breathing apparatus is broken, he's eventually overcome by the weapon he was shot in space to fight and taken aboard it's satellite.

An issue or two later, Bruce transforms into Hulk to fight the weapon inside the satellite. The fight spills out into space, mind you, he no longer has his breathing apparatus and ends on the Moon. 

So, yes, Hulk can survive in space. How long? I don't know if there's a determined amount of time, but it seems he doesn't need to breathe in space, anymore. Didn't he also beat the Skrull Black Bolt on the moon, as well?
    Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He survived in space during WWHulk, he is shown outside the ship smashing asteroids.

Avatar image for strongestonethereis
    StrongestOneThereIs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iLLituracy said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    It's in the same issue where his breathing apparatus is broken, he's eventually overcome by the weapon he was shot in space to fight and taken aboard it's satellite.  An issue or two later, Bruce transforms into Hulk to fight the weapon inside the satellite. The fight spills out into space, mind you, he no longer has his breathing apparatus and ends on the Moon.   So, yes, Hulk can survive in space. How long? I don't know if there's a determined amount of time, but it seems he doesn't need to breathe in space, anymore. Didn't he also beat the Skrull Black Bolt on the moon, as well? "
    All true!
    And he also stood outside his ship when heading to Earth before the WWHulk story started.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

I doubt that it applies to 616 Hulk but I remember Ultimate Tony Stark saying that Ultimate Hulk basically mutates whatever he needs to survive

King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King Hercules
    @danhimself said:

" I doubt that it applies to 616 Hulk but I remember Ultimate Tony Stark saying that Ultimate Hulk basically mutates whatever he needs to survive "

The Hulk sent into space to fight the Android was 616 Hulk
    Avatar image for the_wind_stalker
    The Wind-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The Wind-Stalker

of course he would die does any1 remember on the hulk movie they made remember he was on the jet and he went up into the clouds he started banging his head on the pilot window cause he going to high............. the hulk couldnt breathe 

King Hercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King Hercules
    @The Wind-Stalker said:
    "of course he would die does any1 remember on the hulk movie they made remember he was on the jet and he went up into the clouds he started banging his head on the pilot window cause he going to high............. the hulk couldnt breathe  "

That was a movie version of the character. Not the 616 version.
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By speedlgt

he should NOT
    Jay00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jay00

In The Amazing Spider-Man issue #328, spidey thought Hulk was gonna hurt some kids so he knocked him into orbit...

At the time, the change was dependent on the sun
    He said the cold didn't bother him
    And he could hold his breath along time.
    If he turns into Banner he's dead...

SPOILER:  spidey ends up rescuing him with the beyonders temp powers..

hey....i look like Bennett.... my horned rim glasses...

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iLLituracy

I remember answering this question...up there somewhere. :[

@Jay00 said:

" In The Amazing Spider-Man issue #328, spidey thought Hulk was gonna hurt some kids so he knocked him into orbit...  At the time, the change was dependent on the sun He said the cold didn't bother him And he could hold his breath along time. If he turns into Banner he's dead...  SPOILER:  spidey ends up rescuing him with the beyonders temp powers..  hey....i look like Bennett.... my horned rim glasses... "
    This happens way before he adapted to outer space's conditions and he developed the ability to be out there unaided for prolonged amount of times. This was an issue that tied into the Acts of Vengeance.

Also, this was Grey Hulk. He also didn't have the Beyonder's power, he had the Enigma Force and was temporarily Captain Universe.
    hulksmash134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hulk can breathe in space

CaptainHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, he is able to breathe due to his body developing a gland which creates an oxygenated perfluorocarbon emulsion which fills his lungs and equalizes the pressure. He is therefore able to breathe in space and underwater.

Crypto_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crypto_Jones

@captainhulk said:

Yes, he is able to breathe due to his body developing a gland which creates an oxygenated perfluorocarbon emulsion which fills his lungs and equalizes the pressure. He is therefore able to breathe in space and underwater.

I remember seeing that. Although it would only provide for fluid breathing. If there is no input of gas or fluid of any kind, it's a pretty useless ability. Still, can anyone provide a scan? The only way I can see hulk surviving long term in space is if he somehow adapts to absorb rays through his skin (like superman). If I was a writer looking for a twist it's what I'd do. Then again, it would provide limited energy and he'd have to go in a state of stasis.

That being said, there are a couple of ways Hulk could survive in space, and it's my understanding that the whole "If hulk turns back to banner, he dies" point is moot, as the minds of Banner AND Hulk would not let that happen. Unconsciously, the entity that they form together will remain in the form that will allow it to survive (In "The End", when Banner dies, Hulk takes over, for exemple).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#17  Edited By Joygirl

And this right here is why Hulk is silly.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@joygirl: whys that? There are plenty of other characters who can survive in space. By that logic we should call all fictional superheroes "silly"as none of them make any real sense to begin with.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: *dies* @extremis: Characters that can survive in space can generally survive in space since their conception. They don't just magically develop a new power that they never had, for no reason but the sake of being more powerful. When you hand a character anything they want free of charge they cease to be challenged. Hulk used to have limits -- he was so, he couldn't fly, he wasn't spaceworthy, he wasn't that smart, you could manipulate the gamma energy in him, etc. Now slowly but surely everything that's limited him has been circumvented or outright removed, discounting the fact that his strength cap has increased exponentially from what it was 50 years ago.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joygirl

*slow, not so

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

@theacidskull: *dies* @extremis: Characters that can survive in space can generally survive in space since their conception. They don't just magically develop a new power that they never had, for no reason but the sake of being more powerful. When you hand a character anything they want free of charge they cease to be challenged. Hulk used to have limits -- he was so, he couldn't fly, he wasn't spaceworthy, he wasn't that smart, you could manipulate the gamma energy in him, etc. Now slowly but surely everything that's limited him has been circumvented or outright removed, discounting the fact that his strength cap has increased exponentially from what it was 50 years ago.

Aren't increases in power kind of standard among comic characters? If I really sat down and named all the popular and overall comic characters that have had their power increased over the years, I'd be able to right a book. I'm not really a major Hulk fan but I don't see how him becoming more powerful takes away from the main aspect of him (The psychological warfare between him and Bruce Banner.)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: There's a big difference between increasing in power/power creeping and instantly developing whole new powers overnight (such as the ability to breathe in space, or his current super speed). Everyone gets more powerful but unless their power specifically ties into the acquisition of new powers (as Hulk's does not) they usually don't magically sprout whole new abilities.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, why not?

Crypto_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Crypto_Jones

@wolverine08 said:

@joygirl said:

Aren't increases in power kind of standard among comic characters? If I really sat down and named all the popular and overall comic characters that have had their power increased over the years, I'd be able to right a book. I'm not really a major Hulk fan but I don't see how him becoming more powerful takes away from the main aspect of him (The psychological warfare between him and Bruce Banner.)

EVERY SINGLE character's transition from the golden age to the silver age. I mean golden age Superman would have a fair fight with Luke Cage. It's normal that Hulk would evolve in such a way.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@joygirl said:

EVERY SINGLE character's transition from the golden age to the silver age. I mean golden age Superman would have a fair fight with Luke Cage. It's normal that Hulk would evolve in such a way.

Agreed. Major power increases are just the norm in comics now.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hulksmash134: technically nothing can breath in space. Theres no air

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Joygirl

@theacidskull: Doomsday's power is adaptation/evolution. It's his only power. But whatever, I'm not gonna gain any traction here so I may as well drop it.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Without explanation? Absolutely. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind if characters increase in power. I just get peeved when it happens for no reason. If Hulk had always had an ability to adapt and was able to adapt to space upon his first visit, I'd be fine. But once upon a time he used to have to breathe which makes the mutation utterly random, and therefore ridiculous.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: If it makes you feel any better, Hulk has been space worthy since at least 83'

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@joygirl: as others have said, we'd expect to see differences in characters 50 years later. Nearly every popular character has new abilities/traits/personalities than they did in the golden or silver age.

The essence of the character itself is still completely intact, which is what is really important. But considering the Hulk's physiology it's not like this alteration just fell out of the sky.

Bruce Wayne suddenly being able to survive in a space vacuum would raise alarms as he has a human body. But it's not so alarming with Hulk. Hulk has always had adaptive regenerative qualities with his physiology so this isn't even a stretch of the imagination.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Hulk can survive in space for a time, but not permanently like the Surfer.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikex20 said:

he can. he adapts.

His adaption allows him to survive for a long period of time, finding ways to consume his oxygen at an extremely low rate. But he eventually needs to replenish it.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By _Atomikill_

I think yes . I remember someone posted a video on youtube with scans showing that Hulk can suffocate in space . He can hold his breath , but not for long . Plus Hulk needs to rest , eat and drink .

Hulk can hold his breath for hours, but yeah, he will die eventually.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mikex20

@mikex20 said:

@theacidskull said:

@mikex20 said:

he can. he adapts.

His adaption allows him to survive for a long period of time, finding ways to consume his oxygen at an extremely low rate. But he eventually needs to replenish it.

proof of this.

He just recently spoke freely in hickmans avengers without needing oxygen.

He will eventually go into a state of suspended animation, until he reaches a source of oxygen.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: He wouldn't wear an oxygen mask if he didn't need it.

No Caption Provided

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: He takes it off because he can survive for awhile without it, but not forever.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Why are pepole quoting 3 year old posts?

Crypto_Jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Crypto_Jones

@mikex20 said:

@theacidskull: He wouldn't wear an oxygen mask if he didn't need it.

No Caption Provided

Do I have to point out that the argument is countered in the same scan you just posted? Even if he loses the mask, he will adapt to the zero-oxygen environment. Shield simply isn't taking any chances.

Also let's keep in mind: the fight between him and Black Bolt took place on the blue area of the moon, which has an atmosphere.

tpodvorec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tpodvorec

@theacidskull: first: so if the orange guy (whose name I don't want to misspell) can create an entire corps using his ring why can't Atrocitus make a few energy construct copies of himself.

Second: Being that it is a vacuum nobody can breath in space unless they have some sort of atmosphere containing the gases they need in order to breath. So the Hulk's not breathing (since there's nothing for him to breath) he starts out holding his breath then begins suffocating being kept alive by his near invulnerability and his healing factor healing any damage done to him by lack of oxygen. So as you can imagine when he has breathable air he breaths because constantly suffocating and never dying sucks about as badly as dying from it (depending on your opinion of spending long periods of time suffocating is).

hulk465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hulk465

In Avengers the ultimate guide it says about Hulk:" Able to adapt in ANY environment, underwater or airless space INDEFINITELY"

In incredible Hulk-111 (which came out in 1969 and is older than a lot folks making comments here) Hulk is shown right on the cover in deep space. In the issue it shows Hulk destroying a spaceship all without air in deep space and the spaceship crash lands on an alien planet.

So yeah, Hulk has been surviving in space in the comics LONG before most of you guys making comments were even born.

As for the 1st Hulk movie, Hulk needed time to adapt but was not needed cause he fell back to earth. So that power could NOT be shown. Gen. Ross assumed that Hulk might get knocked out due to lack of air and cold temp.

Just because a comic fan does not believe it to be true, does NOT make it true.......I go by the Authority(Marvel) and NOT the majority of the folks here who make careless comments about stuff they know nothing about..

Renovatio74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Renovatio74

There is no way for hulk to adapt to things that aren't earthkind. hulk was birthed on a planet with air and water hence his makeup coming from a human he can adapt to water. hulk was not birthed in a place with no air so how can his physiology (being partly human with no magic) survive in space. It makes no sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.