The Official RPG Ideas Thread

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@backstabber: I can say with confidence that this has never happened in CVnU.

Then does it sound like a good idea????

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8652  Edited By Jason_ford

@backstabber:

Not sure who would participate. Theoretically speaking I'd expect at least some of them to.

Personally speaking I wouldn't for moral reasons.

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backstabber:

Not sure who would participate. Theoretically speaking I'd expect at least some of them to.

Personally speaking I wouldn't for moral reasons.

No problem, It was just an idea.

Jason_ford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CutthroatBitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backstabber:

"Properly": Sure, why not? There'd have to be deeper elaboration, and the idea would probably go through several drafts and modifications would be needed, but the basic premise isn't a bad one. The "moral issue" is actually a non-factor as long as it were handled with respect or care.

Objectively:

I like it well enough, but probably not, no. As in the "proper" [CV-politically correct] answer, the moral issue really is a non-factor as long as things were handled with respect or care. But among the issues, there's currently no build-up, so springing it out of nowhere would be less likely to garner attention and/or participation. It would take a lot of coordination from various corners because it'd basically be [in CVnU terms] doing a wide-scale dictation of a "mythology" and there are a lot of people involved, or potentially involved, from people who may write an angel or demon, to just people with some other IC religious affiliation. I actually wouldn't put it too far past people to come together to agree to do it. But historically, things dealing [strictly] with the supernatural and stuff like that haven't done well in CVnU. The people vanish or their characters vanish, with very few exceptions [shout out to me and Grif for sticking ours around]. So it probably wouldn't last.

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cutthroatbitch:

Thanks for the input, but I'll probably moth ball the idea for now.

Ananke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Backstabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ananke said:

@backstabber: What does that mean, moth ball?

Its an old slang term meaning I'll put it away for awhile, like putting an old coat into a closet with moth balls to keep it safe from being eaten by moths.

Evander_Slade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

50's pulp/golden age heroes era CVnU RPG using classic looks. Satire of the wars and issues of the day.

Contingency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8660  Edited By Contingency

Could there be a medical break through that effects all of CVU Earth?

Say like cancer is now readily able to be cured on a almost global scale?

Evander_Slade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could there be a medical break through that effects all of CVU Earth?

Say like cancer is now readily able to be cured on a almost global scale?

They have a rule where you can't do anything like that

Reed Richard summum summum

Contingency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evander_slade: Idk just seems like it's about time that the CVU Earth progressed in some way and it's not too drastic to effect writing because it'd be a new event.

Like they just found a way to cure cancer, not saying we should be having space ships or anything but I don't think curing cancer or atleast some forms of it would be Richard Reeding anything.

Evander_Slade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contingency: I hear you. Gotta talk to them about all that though.

Maverick_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evander_slade: Idk just seems like it's about time that the CVU Earth progressed in some way and it's not too drastic to effect writing because it'd be a new event.

Like they just found a way to cure cancer, not saying we should be having space ships or anything but I don't think curing cancer or atleast some forms of it would be Richard Reeding anything.

Nah.

Reed Richards is Useless.

Basically, it means that even though some of the technology and powers and such in the CVU/marvel/DC is decades, centuries or even a few millennia ahead of today, that we should not go around solving problems "just cuz."

I can understand the willing suspension of disbelief thing with how it seems something trivial to cure with the given technology. However, it is destructive to people's canon. Such as people who have a background of having say, a family member with cancer or say cancer in itself. Or people who planned to do stuff with it.

Meanwhile, it would in return, not really construct much if any canon or allow for any kind of potential stories to be told. It's just a "hey look at me I cured cancer!" basically for whoever gets it.

Much easier for me to just think that the government and corporations just suppress and confiscate this supertech to me, which also makes sense because certain technologies would make some markets crash outright.

Supra-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@contingency said:

Nah.

Basically, it means that even though some of the technology and powers and such in the CVU/marvel/DC is decades, centuries or even a few millennia ahead of today, that we should not go around solving problems "just cuz."

I can understand the willing suspension of disbelief thing with how it seems something trivial to cure with the given technology. However, it is destructive to people's canon. Such as people who have a background of having say, a family member with cancer or say cancer in itself. Or people who planned to do stuff with it.

Meanwhile, it would in return, not really construct much if any canon or allow for any kind of potential stories to be told. It's just a "hey look at me I cured cancer!" basically for whoever gets it.

Much easier for me to just think that the government and corporations just suppress and confiscate this supertech to me, which also makes sense because certain technologies would make some markets crash outright.

This about sums it up perfectly. Mav gave a great explanation, and while I appreciate Surkit stepping in to offer some advice too, it's worth noting that the CVnU also use that trope. It's just more of an unwritten rule in that universe.

Evander_Slade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supra-man: Totally unnecessary point to make but ok lol...

Zauberin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8667 Zauberin  Moderator

@maverick_6 said:
@contingency said:

Nah.

This about sums it up perfectly. Mav gave a great explanation, and while I appreciate Surkit stepping in to offer some advice too, it's worth noting that the CVnU also use that trope. It's just more of an unwritten rule in that universe.

This is true. There is in general a lot less micromanaging, but some things like this, while not formal rules, have been avoided for various reasons.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8668  Edited By Sii-la

Gauging interest on a couple things.

1. An alternate Earth not unlike the Matrix in that a select few people become aware that the world is not real. This leads to the development of abilities due to the realization that the laws of reality are not written in stone. We would explore who was behind it with an endgame in mind.

2. I've been reading Flash again and might revive my Speed Corps if people are interested. It's a team of Speedsters or otherwise heroes who can unlock the Speed Force to enter the bleed between universes which houses a ship that acts as their base of ops. We would jump around the multiverse by solving mysteries and stopping major crimes.

3. Same as 2 but more inclusive, removing the speed force or including it but also, as flash comics are doing rn, adding other forces that can be said to tie into a character's abilities (Strength force, Sage Force etc).

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I’m interested in 2.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shanana: I had fun with it originally but some people wished it wasnt speed only.

shanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

@sii-la: i have a character not a speedster tho

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like 1

Noah_Wyatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la: I'm game for two. Always wanted a speedster (Dc)

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8674  Edited By ParagonxXx

@sii-la: Well, if you do 2, then please keep me in mind. I have a speedster character. ^_^

1 sounds awesome.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shanana said:

@sii-la: i have a character not a speedster tho

We can make it work. One leeway I gave originally was, so long as you can get them past FTL naturally without the help of machines, they can be on the team. Speed can just be a side ability. But then people argued that if thats the case why not just make it open to all types of people. I can't argue too strongly against that tbh, like if I just canon it as choosing the team and bringing them together Legends of Tomorrow style rather than speedsters coming to me.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la: all good. I wrote a speedster. He is staying off radar for now.

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna build a 4 man fire squad team called four horsemen. Cassius would have been War. Wanted a posion expert for famine and chemical weapons expert for pestilence. Death would just be a nutball.

Noah_Wyatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noah_wyatt: not gonna happen now. But thanks for interest

Noah_Wyatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkshade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A group of retired Navy SEALs get tired of destructive vigilantes and metahuman violence and decide to do something about it.

Andoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A group of retired Navy SEALs get tired of destructive vigilantes and metahuman violence and decide to do something about it.

Image result for WWE The Shield gif

Yazhun_Sanvun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Die?

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8686  Edited By HumansFirst

I just want fear to get to such a level that a ramped up Registration Act would be considered by the public.

You know, mandatory blood tests, doctors, therapists and counselors required by law to violate patient confidentiality and report if their clients are mutants (as the very status would constitute a threat to public safety if not disclosed), babies being tested at birth, schools re-segregated based on mutant status, entire city blocks being set aside as "Little Venezuela-towns", etc.

Is that too much to ask?

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8687  Edited By Sii-la

I just want fear to get to such a level that a ramped up Registration Act would be considered by the public.

You know, mandatory blood tests, doctors, therapists and counselors required by law to violate patient confidentiality and report if their clients are mutants (as the very status would constitute a threat to public safety if not disclosed), babies being tested at birth, schools re-segregated based on mutant status, entire city blocks being set aside as "Little Venezuela-towns", etc.

Is that too much to ask?

At this point, with so many spins on the idea, i'd prefer to see something naziesque come around and FORCE that change. All the reg act types Ive seen hinged on selling public opinion being in favor.

shield-maiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la:

I think that's an interesting idea, and nazi-esque government, secret police ridden America is definitely somewhere I want to end up, but I can't imagine that America as a whole would take to it as readily as a bitter, war torn Germany would.

That's why the Militia's terrorist attacks and Action 6 News' reports were a big part of the build up, to frame the idea in the right light so that people would welcome these "security measures". The idea is less about willing registration of heroes but the mandatory cataloging of mutants. They'd be listed in a government database, like sex offenders, and public opinion would shift these mutants into true secondary citizen status, denying them jobs, loans, housing, school registration, all that jazz. The registration of heroes is really just a secondary concern.

Grimmwald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8690  Edited By Grimmwald

@hawkshade said:

This is a really cool idea. I was talking in WC about how I had an idea for a militant mutant (maybe even a violent revolutionary) inspired by Amaranth's pro-mutant deeds, and that I had Cable in mind as a look. I think that kind of character could be a perfect antagonist for a team like the one you're proposing. But also, Cable would be a good look for one of those retired Navy SEALs, as would Punisher, Crossbones, Nick Fury, Deathblow and some others.

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la:

I think that's an interesting idea, and nazi-esque government, secret police ridden America is definitely somewhere I want to end up, but I can't imagine that America as a whole would take to it as readily as a bitter, war torn Germany would.

That's why the Militia's terrorist attacks and Action 6 News' reports were a big part of the build up, to frame the idea in the right light so that people would welcome these "security measures". The idea is less about willing registration of heroes but the mandatory cataloging of mutants. They'd be listed in a government database, like sex offenders, and public opinion would shift these mutants into true secondary citizen status, denying them jobs, loans, housing, school registration, all that jazz. The registration of heroes is really just a secondary concern.

Oh yeah those were often great RPG archetypes, but I'm just personally tired of the swaying of public opinion. I know nU rules say you can't do something like that but just once I'd like to throw that out the window so we can do a dictatorship/regime style rp. Or if we are going to have public opinion's sway be integral then we should lean into that with a leader that pulls the worst out of people and gets them to join him, essentially the Nazi party, that legit try and change the status quo and persecute mutants and metas with open prejudice for once.

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la: Oh! I think I know a guy who might be perfect for leading a political revolution based on open mutant hatred!

No Caption Provided

Sii-la

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sii-la said:
@humansfirst said:

Is that too much to ask?

At this point, with so many spins on the idea, i'd prefer to see something naziesque come around and FORCE that change. All the reg act types Ive seen hinged on selling public opinion being in favor.

I actually think something along the opposite. Not entirely, there's a bit of nuance that I'm about to graze over just briefly because of my body, but like...every registration act we've had in the past, the president/people pushing it were so unequivocally nefarious that [pardon the ego] it makes me upset I never took the helm, because there are ways to sell a registration act that aren't "put 'em in death camps," which is one of the reasons you always had it so "anti = good, pro = bad" and people like Ivana are good guys despite not being good guys. Charlemagne literally had an army of Supermen patrolling cities looking for mutants. It was the epitome of "post-apocalyptic scenario in the making." And there are ways to sell it in a way that's not quite so dark [or at least not so openly DoFP] which haven't been explored.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any ideas yet really, but I want someone to start an nice lovely avg joe fun rpg! XD

Muerte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8696  Edited By Muerte

I had this idea in my mind for a couple of months.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/rpg-9/skordeman-an-introduction-198255

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wanna see the manifestation of a J. Jonah Jameson type figure out of IP's news organisation. Except with a broader focus, sort of like in the Spider-man game. Always loved colour commentary.

HumansFirst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rosso: An interesting thought, but I'm not too familiar with J. Jonah Jameson (save for J.K. Simmons' portrayal of him in the Spider-Toby movies), so I'm not sure I'd be able to do the character justice, and I highly doubt he'd fit your vision.

But I think I know someone who might just be able to pull that off...

No Caption Provided

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humansfirst: Honestly I don't think you'd have to try very hard. That said, I wouldn't worry about trying to fit my vision, or even doing such a thing at all. [Also, J.K. Simmons was phenomenal and he as Jameson is literally the only actor/character of any Spider-Man movie/franchise, ever who is irreplaceable.] Just a thought that occurred to me because you hit some of the same notes with the Action6 crew, and occasionally he comes on my radio when I play Spidey in the game, and I honestly can't get enough of him.

Rosso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuff with Impero got me thinking about Richard and Ashley going bad; somehow then the good guys became bad. And I thought "man, that'd have some sort of elseworlds feel to it. The heroes became villains, and certain villains would start to come off like heroes."

But not strictly one of those "good guys become bad and bad guys become good." I thought about...a world where "heroes" were seen as horrific figures. They take the law into their hands and everyone is at their mercy. Villains are still villains, but heroes also can't be trusted not to overstep their bounds [it could be argued they already are]. So they're seen almost like horror type figures. Y'know..."don't go out too late at night, lest you be found by Hawkshade." "Nobody vacations in Metro City, for fear of ending up on the wrong side of Superion" in a police brutality to the extreme type way.

And there are certain soldiers of fortune who are paid to kill people, and suddenly they become "the good guys" because [in addition to their regular contracts] the best of them are contracted to take out the vigilantes and heroes plaguing society. Some of them like it, so they stick with it and sort of become contractors handling assignments for the US Government [for lucrative sums], and others may leave it behind for their old life because of principles, paranoia, etc.

It's not a thing I'm looking to act on. It was just an idea that spawned from a random thought and I needed some place to explore it clearly. My head is not the place for clarity.