Why is it so many people want straight comic book characters to be made gay ?

• 109 results
z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ever since deadpool was released so many people have said that he is pansexual and that he should have a boyfriend and since them I have seen people on Facebook say that the new spiderman should have a boyfriend. So yeah why is it a new thing that stagiht comic characters have to be made gay now ? If you want a gay character so much why not ask for writers to make more storys featureing character that already are or make new ones instead.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Main reason why I try to avoid areas like tumblr. People like the idea of Batman dating Superman, Rick and Morty being a couple, and so on.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that their bad fanfictions can become true.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

It has a lot to do with people wanting to feel identified.

I'm Latino, and I got excited when Miguel O'Hara, Gabriel Co'huelo and Anya Corazón made the Marvel front lines for a while. I identified with the characters very slightly, but I did.

I assume the same thing goes with gay people, or even pro-gay people. They feel they need to be represented in this medium. But I do agree with you though. I don't think the characters who are classic and have been straight since their origins should have a sudden preference switch. That's why characters like Wiccan, Hulkling, Bunker and Batwoman exist. Companies can push for their characters to become "instant classics", look at what Marvel is doing with Ms. Marvel and Spider-Gwen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a homoerotic genre. Bunch of hot dudes in skin tight spandex rolling around with each other. Why do you think so many gay people read comics?

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it makes sense for a character to be gay. There are gay people who have lived their whole lives as straight people. I'm sure there are many secret gays or people with tendencies towards homosexuality in today's society yet they themselves might not know it or subconciously reject it. There isn't a type to identify, anyone can be gay. It is not illogical for any character to be bisexual, homosexual or whatever. Everyone is a bit sexually fluid.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a very good question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk it's weird. Maybe they're just a very loud and vocal minority.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Avatar_of_Green

@rabumalal: couldnt agree more great post.

Acting like having slightly gay tendencies or finding some man attractive or even having one gay moment makes you gay is ridiculous. You could be gay one year and straight the next if you want. Sexuality is so funny. People act like they understand it but then they run from their own feelings like its some horrible negative thing to have feelings.

Straight as an arrow but if I wanted to kiss a guy I would and wouldnt feel bad. I also agree its a slightly homoerotic genre. Many closeted people read as well. It's easy to indentify with heroes who cant admit who they are even though theyre good guys. Xmen have always been great for that.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, it's not just comicbooks, almost every media has this forced idea of turning a straight guy into a gay as a form progression.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that their bad fanfictions can become true.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMan44

Homosexuals and Pro- gay rights people want to feel more accepted which they should... However you cannot ask someone to accept you if your not going to accept what they are. Everything shouldn't have to be changed to fit their needs that's unfair to everyone else.

Shadowmaster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey: What are they doing with Ms Marvel and Spider Gwen?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 SC  Moderator

Deadpool as in the movie? I believe a few of his writers have mentioned they write Deadpool as pansexual in interviews before, like years and years ago, can't remember the specifics of the top of my head, but yeah, since it sort of fits the oddness of the character, ditto Hercules. As in the kinds of people that will try to get with anything with a pulse… and even then given comics and how dead characters aren't always dead… and pansexual is a very different concept to homosexuality. Bit like asking why do so many people want Asian comic book characters to be white and then giving an example of people talking about an Italian character that should be Roman Catholic.

As for the why though, which I suspect is the point of contention. I don't know, probably different reasons, maybe because the character seems more suited to being gay, homosexual, maybe because of shipping ideas, maybe its to identify better with the character, maybe its because they want more diversity, could be numerous things. Similar can be asked of anything, why do some fans want their comic book characters to get more feats? Beta certain other characters? Be a certain religion, have a successor, move to space to be cosmic, so on, usually isn't just one single easy reason. There are people who are probably going to wish certain gay characters were straight too, well if there were more of them. Dragon Age Inquisition? Well its a video game so slightly different, there is more agency and control in it, plenty of fans wish that certain lesbian characters, certain gay characters, certain straight characters were bisexual, or the other orientation for romantic interest reasons. Its not really a big deal or cosmic mystery. Disagreeing with them is fine as well, its the thing about fiction, lots of people interpret things differently.

dawnone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people like seeing people get the d up their asses. The d is whatmakes the world go round.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

Homosexuals and Pro- gay rights people want to feel more accepted which they should... However you cannot ask someone to accept you if your not going to accept what they are. Everything shouldn't have to be changed to fit their needs that's unfair to everyone else.

Stick to DB threads.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

@sora_thekey: What are they doing with Ms Marvel and Spider Gwen?

I'm talking about how these two new characters have been pushed forefront by Marvel. They are new yet they have variants and appear in video games and even have alternate versions of themselves. You can't imagine Marvel Comics without these characters anymore because of the huge push they got. Rather than having long-time straight characters switch preferences, why not just put new characters like Bunker in the spotlight. Don't change the orientation, just push the already-out characters to the front lines.

rickyrck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who wants them to be? lol....

welcome to modern day times where alot of ppl are coming out of the closet

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool has never been straight, his flirting with both genders and frequent cross dressing show that.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why not

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool has never been straight, his flirting with both genders and frequent cross dressing show that.

Lmao

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's trendy and progressive.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world is filled with different people and different orientations are part of that. I don't mind creating characters who are gay. I don't like when they take existing characters who have fifty plus years of being straight and then telling us they are gay now. Bobby Drake has been with over 20 different women in his 60+ year history; some of those relationships were very serious. It seems out of character to say that he swings a different way now. Does Marvel do this because they don't think people will be open to gay characters if they aren't part of the old established mainstays of Marvel?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I don't get how people saw Deadpool as pansexual in the movie. How would you even come to that conclusion? The whole movie is centered on his relationship with his girlfriend. At no point was it hinted that he would be pansexual or anything other than straight. I don't get it.

It's one thing to suggest him bisexual or possibly gay for whatever reason I'm missing out on. But people are suggesting something obscure and uncommon like pansexual? Idk it just seems weird to me.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up.

I'm sorry is there a reason.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Just create new gay superheroes, problem solved.

Quoted for truth.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Must be the people you hang with. Most of the people I hear talk say its stupid as heck.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

@never_give_up.

I'm sorry is there a reason.

You're 14 and other reasons...

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44: Post in whatever thread you like.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up:

So because I'm 14 I wouldn't know about the struggles in the outside world say I don't know

FGM

Human trafficking

Gay rights

The war on drugs

I have almost all the 18 amendments memorized

I attend a U.S. civil rights class top of my class

Im more than qualified to be on this thread... So why don't you add you two cents.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44: That means nothing and most likely you're lying.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey
sooperfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people will complain about everything. The thing is, why change already established characters' Sexual Preference. Instead create an original Hero that is openly gay yet doesn't show any stereotypes; this will most likely help the character become a gay icon (much like Captain America is an American Icon) i believe that would be more effective than just trashing a heroes history for political correctness

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheMan44

@never_give_up:

Would you like to have a debate in these topics right now because I promise I will light you up.

Do you even know what FGM even stands for or how the constitution can do little to protect these victims?...

How about the immigration crisi?.

Pick a topic I dare you

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6c6de088804
deactivated-5c6c6de088804

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people will complain about everything. The thing is, why change already established characters' Sexual Preference. Instead create an original Hero that is openly gay yet doesn't show any stereotypes; this will most likely help the character become a gay icon (much like Captain America is an American Icon) i believe that would be more effective than just trashing a heroes history for political correctness

QFT

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheMan44

@never_give_up:

Common I'm waiting...

Prove that I'm lying...

Or you know prove that a 14 year old knows more than you on stuff that actually matters and exists.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44 said:

@never_give_up:

Would you like to have a debate in these topics right now because I promise I will light you up.

Do you even know what FGM even stands for or how the constitution can do little to protect these victims?...

How about the immigration crisi?.

Pick a topic I dare you

You can't even spell lose lol.

@theman44 said:

@never_give_up:

Common I'm waiting...

Prove that I'm lying...

Or you know prove that a 14 year old knows more than you on stuff that actually matters and exists.

Come on is what you were trying to say.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up:

Oh please it's called a typo grow up... And attempt to prove me wrong.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44

Homosexuals and Pro- gay rights people want to feel more accepted which they should

Ummm what?

Homosexuals you make it sound like a disease.

However you cannot ask someone to accept you if your not going to accept what they are.

I don't know what you're trying to say.

Everything shouldn't have to be changed to fit their needs that's unfair to everyone else.

Deadpool is hardly straight lol.

Most of what you're saying doesn't make any sense.

I don't care how much you know you aren't well versed on this topic. Further posting will just lead to you embarrassing yourself.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheMan44

@never_give_up:

1) that's actually the polically correct term for gays genius and I also stated they deserve to feel accepted

2) I'm saying people should not be pressured to change their views either... Just let people believe what the want to believe or accept the changes of something they love to suit another group of individuals.

3)never said anything about Deadpool

Shut up I'm not the one embarassing myself.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics sell poorly, so the people in charge believes it has something to do with "white straight male" being the core audience, they try to sell it to a bigger audience, but fail to notice that black gay people that read comics are such an small minority, that actually their plan just doesnt work and it will never work.

Since black gay people, will forever like Bruce Wayne as Batman, more they will care for Gay IceMan, since Batman is not being defined by his sexual tendencies, but for who he actually is.

Besides the obvious fact comic book artist are almost all the time manchilds that have no real life experience, that went to college to confirm all their beliefs and dont like to be challenged, current comic book artist are the prime example of identity politics followers.

Because current writers dont have the talent to do that and that not how PC culture works.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44:

1) that's actually the polically correct term for gays genius and I also stated they deserve to feel accepted

It isn't you're wrong like always.

That's nothing new.

2) I'm saying peopel should not be forced to accept the chancres comic book characters in the process.

Who was forcing who?

3)never said anything about Deadpool

I was putting it out there.

Oh wait you don't know anything about that either.

Shut up I'm not the one embarassing myself.

I'm pretty sure you are.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheMan44

@never_give_up:

1) homosexual isn't the politically correct term... Ok I would stop there if I were you Oh that's right your the guy who still doesn't believe a nuke is as hot as the sun

2) If a person's favorite character is rewritten as aptly that is a huge amusement for some people

3) ok go ahead and put useless facts out there.. Makes you look more ignorant

4)your the one who done T know the politically correct term for an individual who is attracted to the opposite sex.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44:

1) homosexual isn't the po,its ally correct term... Oh that's right your the guy who still doesn't believe a nuke is as hot as the sun

The rest I won't address because it's pointless.

Anti-Gay people or clueless people use the term homosexual.

So you saying the term "homosexual" is politically correct is wrong.

Anti-Gay people don't use the term gay they use the term "homosexual" to speak about it as a disease.

But yea you're a 14-year-old genius who knows everything.

You're wrong and you've been corrected.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up:

I'm just going to wait for other posters to see your comment... Have fun with the hole you dig yourself into.

And if you read I clearly said I supported it. Goodbye.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44:

You've been proven wrong and you run away nothing new.

What happened to this?

1) homosexual isn't the politically correct term... Ok I would stop there if I were you Oh that's right your the guy who still doesn't believe a nuke is as hot as the sun

Do you still believe this?

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@never_give_up:

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/have-scientists-ever-made-anything-hotter-sun

Please argue with this. I really wish you would

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theman44:

Dude what?

What does the sun have to do with this thread.

That is irrelevant.

Do you still believe this?