The Flash: 4 Things We Learned From Season 3, Episode 4 [SPOILERS]

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Flash has a new speedster to train in Jesse Quick, and that's not all that happened during this week's episode of The Flash. Between that, the new metahumans, and a few other things, viewers certainly learned a lot about where this season is headed.

No Caption Provided

Last week, Harrison Wells and his daughter Jesse returned to Earth-1, and it turned out that Jesse had developed speed powers of her own.

However, we quickly learned that training Jesse Quick to be a hero was not going to be as easy as it seems. There were a couple of new villains on the block, and they both used to work with Leonard Snart who goes by the name Captain Cold. That was not all that happened, so let's check out all the major developments from the October 25 episode.

Warning: Spoilers ahead for the October 25 episode of The Flash.

There Is a New Metahuman Named Mirror Master

Three years ago, when the accelerator at STAR Labs malfunctioned, the explosion created all the metahumans that appeared in Season 1 of The Flash, including Barry Allen. In present day, viewers learned that there were still more super-powered beings in Central City, as both Mirror Master (Sam Scudder) and his girlfriend The Top (Rosalind Dillon) surface. Scudder wants revenge on Leonard Snart, but ultimately ends up battling The Flash and Jesse Quick.

The additions of Mirror Master and The Top is a welcoming one. While their story was just another "villain of the week" plotline, both of these characters are still around, and because the title of the episode was "The New Rogues," we're guessing we'll see them again, hopefully with a brand new Rogue team. We also learned that Mirror Master existed on Earth-2, so Harrison Wells is familiar with this character, even if his version wasn't a metahuman and used a mirror gun to travel through reflective surfaces.

Wally and Jesse's Relationship Begins to Blossom

In the last episode, one of the characters the story focused on was Wally West. He wanted powers and was jealous of Jesse because she was tapped into the Speed Force. Now, a relationship between the two is starting to blossom. At first, Wally doesn't want it because Jesse lives on another Earth. Later in this episode, Wally comes to the decision to explore this because he has feelings for her, and he doesn't want to deny that.

The Flash is about relationships as much as it is about having powers and saving the world. However, what makes this interesting is that not only is Wally opening up a bit more, but he also may develop speedster powers during this. Maybe this is a leap in logic, but Wally was The Flash in the Flashpoint storyline, and it's been mentioned before that maybe something needs to "waken up" his powers. Does that mean a relationship with another speedster could unlock his potential?

No Caption Provided

There Is Another Wells on the Team

Harrison Wells has to eventually head back to his own parallel world, but before he does, he wants to find another version of himself--from another world--to help out the STAR Labs team. They find a few candidates but end up picking out a Harrison with a sense of humor that seems pretty cool. It seems like the team will always have Harrison by their side.

Harrison is an essential part of this team, and while he really brings everyone together, this was a questionable plotline. It leaves more questions than answers, like why does Earth-2 Harrison have to go back so quickly? After seeing the preview for next week's episode, it seems like every Harrison this team comes in contact with isn't 100% trustworthy.

Caitlin Embraces Her Inner-Killer Frost

Last week, viewers caught a glimpse of Caitlin Snow with her freezing powers. In Season 2, on Earth-2, Caitlin was known as the villain Killer Frost. While Killer Frost is no more, Caitlin is aware of her doppleganger's existence. This week, she uses her powers to help Barry get out of the Mirrorverse, but only Barry knows about this. Everyone else at STAR Labs is in the dark. During the final moments of the episode, Caitlin freezes the water, while taking a shower, and her hair starts turning white. She's becoming more like the character everyday.

We can see where this story is going. Caitlin will eventually look exactly like Killer Frost, and she'll spend a lot of time struggling with that because she doesn't want to be a villain. Regardless of the paint-by-numbers plot, assuming that's where they are going, this adds a nice layer to the show, and it finally gives Caitlin a bit more screentime, as she's fallen by the wayside because The Flash has so much going on.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Doc-Holiday

Another potentially evil Harrison Wells or at least one with an ulterior motive...who would have guessed? Oh wait, everyone who watches the show...forever. Even the good Wells from Earth-2 had an ulterior motive when he came over.

That complaint aside, I've been hoping to have Mirror Master show up for a while. Top was fairly disappointing since they went for the simple gender swap to give Mirror Master a love interest rather than go for the comics where Mirror Master and Golden Glider are in love but whatever, she was fairly boring. I have just been hoping to see Mirror Master for a while and for the Rogues to finally be a full team, now he just needs to meet Trickster and Weather Wizard and maybe the show could introduce Abra Kadabra.

One other point;

"The Flash is about relationships as much as it is about having powers and saving the world."

That is sad but true, the amount of relationship BS pulling these shows off course is annoying. The old seasons used to give a small amount of time to relationships and the rest to advancing the story and action, now it's almost split in half and it's tiring.

ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bloody good episode

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@doc-holiday: dc live actions hows are all crappy rom coms(save for lucifer which barely counts)

and even in season 1 flash was prety terrible

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Black_Arrow

I am gonna accept the simple fact that the people at STAR labs are mad scientists that want to do good. They don't really think the consequences of their absurd science experiments.

Carnivius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this episode. The CW DC TV shows are my fave thing currently my fave thing on TV other than Ash vs Evil Dead. :)

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vincent_Valjean

That episode had some potentials but then they've gone and did that idiotic thing with the other Harrison Wells."We'll miss you Harry,I wish you'd never leave!Oh,I know what we should do!Let's replace you with one of your doppelgangers because it is that simple!Who cares about physics anyway?"

Jesus,do they actually pay the writers to write crap like this?

P.S. Mirror Master was ok but needed more time.Top was boring as hell...

ColinCassady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not on Hulu. Not interested.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This season is getting better as it goes on but these moments of stupidity is seriously bring down the show. This week was the "Harrison Wells Help Wanted" message to the multverse. Not only was it an asinine idea because its basically inviting trouble onto themselves but how long until Cavanagh ends up like Barrowman (Merlyn) who gets shoehorned just to pander fans. The novelty of Cavanagh playing multiple Wells as worn off and is just straight up corny now.

In that picture above Jessie is making Flash look like a stick figure...lol.

This was probably the best episode The Flash had in a while due to how laid back and fun it wanted to be.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Flash concentrates on relationships to such a degree it is blatant and over bearing. The other three DC shows on the CW and the two on Fox are much more subtle when presenting the relationships and easily use those relationships to move the overall story forward even when it is more team work i.e., (Superman/Martian Manhunter, Gordon/Bullock, and Team Legend). The second point is the lack of creative writing that is found lacking within the series compared to the others. Barry seems to act to situations as if it was season 1 and the other shows i.e. (Arrow and Supergirl had been established as knowing how to engage combatants off screen and their writing has allowed them to evolve based on the tone of their respective shows. In Legends the characters understand how to fight individually and are learning to fight as a team during season 2).

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

@carnivius: ditto. DC shows and Ash is pretty much all I watch!

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lurkero

"You're not too bad yourself"

Real smooth, Barry.

I enjoy watching different versions of Wells, and I do not enjoy watching the same version of Barry. After 2 seasons of being Flash, Barry still lacks the heroic confidence his character should have to avoid losing battles because his feelings were hurt. Barry is not someone I would be confident about improving the powers of other speedsters.

I also enjoyed that Wells and Cisco competed for villain naming.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: dc live actions hows are all crappy rom coms(save for lucifer which barely counts)

and even in season 1 flash was prety terrible

Please fix your grammar, this is too messed up to understand.

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carnivius: ditto. DC shows and Ash is pretty much all I watch!

You might like The Strain and Preacher, two more comic based shows, one has lots of action and a great story, the other has a great if unusual story. I didn't quite realize how many shows are now based on comics, really shows how popular they've become (and how out of ideas tv execs are); Preacher, The Strain, Arrow, Flash, Gotham, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Walking Dead, Legends of Tomorrow and that is just regular cable, Netflix has Luke Cage, Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Iron Fist comes out next year.

At least tv is actually worth watching now

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@doc-holiday: I mean that they're only the shows I watch right now, in the fall. I watch other things in Spring and summer. And yeah I do watch preacher, I like the first season.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By JewishDork

Read in an interview withJessie Quick, that her and Wally were originally not supposed to become romantic, but the actors had such a good naturally chemistry together. Also, loved seeing Tom play those different versions of Wells. I miss Ed.

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So . . . after about 90 percent of the cross-dimension doppelgangers they've encountered have turned out to be evil and tried to kill them, Team Flash decides it's a good idea to randomly invite a complete alt-Earth stranger into their inner sanctum and trust him with their secrets from day 1? Yeah, this won't end up badly, at all.

(Why doesn't CV do one of these "Things We Learned" articles for Supergirl every week?)

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Gustin needs to work out and bulk, jesus

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doc-holiday: I mean that they're only the shows I watch right now, in the fall. I watch other things in Spring and summer. And yeah I do watch preacher, I like the first season.

but no Strain? How dare you sir!? :P You are missing out on a fantastic trifecta of seasons thus far of action, horror and drama well blended with famous actors such as Corey Stoll, David Bradley, Kevin Durand and Jonathan Hyde.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_stegman  Moderator

@doc-holiday: eh, I wasn't a fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

am i the only one who found that speech barry gave to jesse about her powers and fighting at the beginning of the episode ironic

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question. if Barry altered the timeline dose that me the characters in Arrow are altered to since the Arrow and Flash series take places in the same universe ?

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kalorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question. if Barry altered the timeline dose that me the characters in Arrow are altered to since the Arrow and Flash series take places in the same universe ?

Yep. Pre-Flashpoint, Diggle and Lyla had an infant daughter. Post-Flashpoint they've got an infant son instead (which aligns with the episode from season one of Legends of Tomorrow, where Diggle's son is Green Arrow in the future).

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was probably one of the better Flash episodes.

Mirror Master was cool. I'm glad he was his person with his own motives instead of being another main boss lackey. Top was ok too. They were basically the best part of the show. Also Snarts appearance. I think him and Mick should be stickily go to Flash Villains. Them on Legends never really made sense.

Barry is slowly becoming cool again, until someone screws that up. Cisco has always been cool. Even Snow slowly becoming Killer Frost is somewhat interesting.

Now Joe is ok, Iris is ok, Wally is ok unless he becomes a speedster.

But Jesse Quick, Harrison Wells and his stupid doppelgangers are FUCKING TERRIBLE !

apg103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least on Flash only a few supporting characters are terrible. Now on Arrow ALL of his supporting characters are terrible...

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colincassady: Enjoy limiting yourself by using just one site for some reason while I can watch everything on my multiple streaming sites.

PrimeEarth2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2: He needs to take his own advice, and learn to punch while running and not stopping each time

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2: He needs to take his own advice, and learn to punch while running and not stopping each time

THANK YOU LORD I ALWAYS NOTICE THIS

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what i really liked? Fact that here Barry fought without any CW motivation.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did like that Barry is the one who came up with how to beat Mirror Master. I hope we get more of Barry coming up with the plan from now on with the supporting cast mostly helping set it up.

Dreadstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I called Jesse and Wally's relationship.

Ice-Breaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or did the they inadvertently say that the flash got slower. they said Jesse was almost as fast as Barry and they also said she was just under mach 3. does this mean Barry is just above or near mach 3? I could've sworn he was faster.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could've sworn he was faster.

Why do you think that Barry was running fasther then ever or even straining himself?
You know, when he is running r'ly fast he travel in time.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just me or did the they inadvertently say that the flash got slower. they said Jesse was almost as fast as Barry and they also said she was just under mach 3. does this mean Barry is just above or near mach 3? I could've sworn he was faster.

I assume Barry was just going at a cruising speed, not at his max speed. He's about as fast, if not faster, as Zoom was, who the show itself stated was three or four times faster than Barry back when he was mach 2 by statements (but not by feats). That means Barry's top speed should at least be mach 4 at it's lowest, not accounting for Zoom stealing Barry's speed and Barry keeping up with the amped Zoom.

kbroskywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@apg103:

This was probably one of the better Flash episodes.

Doesn't say much

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arrow started going down hill after Felicity came, and the flash is good but I'm tired of Barry always whining. Only amazing show that is still out there is Legends of Tomorrow, besides Ray it just keeps getting better.

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

Specking of Arrow dose anybody think they will bring back Laurel ?

DerbyCityRose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DerbyCityRose

I wonder if this nee Harrison Wells is a key cog for the 4 show cross over later.