Follow

Zatanna

Character » Zatanna appears in 1684 issues.

A good stage magician and daughter of magician Giovanni John Zatara, Zatanna, the Mistress of Magic, after her father vanished, kidnapped by an old foe she delved into his library and learned about her ancestors, Zatanna taught herself how to get access to her power by speaking her spells backwards, and became one of most powerful magic-users in the DC Universe.

What can Zatanna do?

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MasterJohn

Well?

RoyHarperBLOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RoyHarperBLOW

@MasterJohn: MAGIC MAYBE???

starrk_coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By starrk_coyote

@MasterJohn said:

Well?

@RoyHarperBLOW said:

@MasterJohn: MAGIC MAYBE???

i think he/she means that he/she want some scans to see what she is capable to do? :)

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JonSmith

She can speak backwards, and whatever she says happens. So if she wanted you to disappear, she'd say:

NhojRetsaM raeppasid.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MasterJohn

@JonSmith said:

She can speak backwards, and whatever she says happens. So if she wanted you to disappear, she'd say:

NhojRetsaM raeppasid.

Can she turn blood to fire?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JonSmith

@MasterJohn said:

Can she turn blood to fire?

Nrut sih doolb ot erif.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Blood1991

Her powers can do all kinds of random things. It is really interesting to see what she is capable of in terms of magical feats.

PassionFlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PassionFlower

I like the character but I find her power just too...much. Is anything a contest for her?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I don't think she really has limits. If she can say it backwards, it'll happen.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KnightRise

Gnihtyna

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By DarthShap

I usually hate it when people say that Superman is too powerful and that Batman is way cooler than him because he does not have any powers (which is ridiculous because Batman is the very definition of overpowered).

However, when it comes to Zatanna, I do think that she is too powerful. Basically, she is omnipotent and everything she says just happens. "POTS!" is literally the solution to every fight. I really like the character but in my opinion, it has always been a huge problem.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By theTimeStreamer

she is a walking hail mary in dire situations, otherwise she gets her throat cut more than an inmate in guantanamo bay.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By zackattack529

Im pretty sure she has a limit.

I mean think about it if she can say "enoyreve nrut ot enots" or "tcerusseR" she can rue the world and bring people back to life!

can you imagine her just speaking backwards doing anything...so yaa im not buying that she can just say anything backwards and it'll work. and i recall in a recent issue of JLD where she tried to say something backwards but she struggled and it didn't work. ill find a scan later but my point is i call BULL that she can just say a word backwards and its happening.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By DarthShap

@zackattack529 said:

Im pretty sure she has a limit.

I mean think about it if she can say "enoyreve nrut ot enots" or "tcerusseR" she can rue the world and bring people back to life!

can you imagine her just speaking backwards doing anything...so yaa im not buying that she can just say anything backwards and it'll work. and i recall in a recent issue of JLD where she tried to say something backwards but she struggled and it didn't work. ill find a scan later but my point is i call BULL that she can just say a word backwards and its happening.

Actually that is part of the problem. Writers usually realise she needs limits so what they do instead of actually depowering her is they invent new limits while completely ignoring the previously established ones. For instance, at the beginning of her last series, for some reason, she no longer could affect the living directly but this came out of nowhere and it did not stick.

Instead of actually revamping her powers, writers just have her say "I cannot do that" when they need to, which is lame and does not make any sense when one year before, she could do it just fine and considering that she will be able to do it in a few issues.

It is kind of like Johns writing the Spectre in JSA, GL: Rebirth, Blackest Night, GL: Blackest Night and GL: The New Guardians (the story arc). Each time, he invents a new reason to explain why he cannot intervene in that specific situation.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MasterJohn

I am glad Zatanna still has fans.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
    name_already_chosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over the years, Zatanna has stated a number of times that using her powers drains her more than people realize.

It's also easy to forget how much of a burden saying something backwards could be in genuine combat. In the time it takes her to say aloud "ezeerF!", The Batman or Black Canary or Lady Shiva could already have kicked her into unconsciousness before she had finished the one-syllable word. And her powers either malfunction or fail to work at all those rare times she has slurred, enunciated poorly, or been interrupted mid-sentence by a sneeze from sneezing powder, for example.

She has also admitted a number of times over the years that her backwards spells tend to occur literally, so if she miswords something, what she says will occur rather than what she had meant to say. This has been stated several times as her reason for avoiding any sorts of spells which deal with the human mind -- for example, if she told Superman "Llaf ni evol htiw rednoW namoW", she could not control whether he developed a fatherly adoration of Diana, a stalker's obsession with our favorite Amazon, or a healthy romantic desire for the Princess.

She has also admitted several times that the fact she can do almost anything often overwhelms her -- although intelligent and clever, she is not quick-witted, so although figuring out how to say something in reverse quickly is easy for her, deciding what to say is not. This is supported by her claim that she likes to follow the same routine every night in her nightclub magic act with little spontaneity. In at least one issue she has admitted that she often practices ahead of time what spells to use in combat to compensate for her difficulty with spontaneous planning.

In My Humble Opinion, her best appearances have dealt with her power level in the same way that Superman's power level is often dealt with -- as something she fights to remain humble about because she has seen how easily power can corrupt. Both Zatanna and Superman have to survive in a "world of cardboard" in which their great power could easily do damage they could not undo. In Zatanna's case, there is the added danger that, as one of the premier magic-wielding mortals, she is constantly looked in on by both the evil supernatural powers and the good supernatural powers of her reality. Unlike Superman, she is often visited by evil forces which would just love to see her corrupted by her power level, and unlike Superman, she can find herself chastised by an angel for misuse of her powers. It has been made quite clear that beings such as the Spectre or Dream can ignore her spells without effort.

It is unclear whether she avoids bringing back the dead because she is unable to do so or because she knows that the spiritual powers that be will make her quite sorry for reversing the life-death cycle if she does so.

In many ways, the best appearances of Zatanna have been reminiscent of the uses of magic in the lauded 1960s sitcom Bewitched. Samantha Stephens could have taken over the world, but she had no interest in such power and knew how worthless such power would be be for one such as she. Additionally, it was fairly clear that the time and effort it took to cast a spell made magic ineffective on a tactical level (strategically useful, and useful against non-combatants, but not tactically useful). Her species of magic-wielders also had to worry about the literalism of their spells on occasion (thus, Esmeralda once brought forth Julius Caesar while trying to conjure up a Caesar Salad.) Fortunately for Samantha, she had a number of spells she could cast with a quick nose twitch or snap of the fingers, which gave her the clear advantage over Zatanna were the two ever to fight.

yuccabrev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By yuccabrev

On Zatanna's page it says that she knows martian kung fu. Does anybody know anything about this? Where did she learn it, is red belt the highest belt, who else knows it, what issue is this info from, etc?

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

be my fav DC girl.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neato magic tricks and looks great in fishnets

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she's too overpowered.

She can never have an adventurous story.

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

I don't think she really has limits. If she can say it backwards, it'll happen.

i think in Young Justice she said she has to have enough energy to power the spell

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Magic.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: why can't she?

With her magic she can do practically anything and doesn't seem to have any problems against her unless... plot device.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But what are her limits? Do her powers have effect on Spectre or powerful magician? How can we know they doesn't work?

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: Her limit was clearly shown in her fight with lobo. She was able to stop him in place with a word and flay his skin with another.

But it only held him for around half an hour which is when her magic was too drained to keep containing Lobo.

She was also able to effortlessly freeze Despero.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Wow please me bring me an image. Thanks

Avatar image for nthmetalwarrior
    NthMetalWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When was the last time Zatanna made an appearance anyway, did not see her since Justice League Dark

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879:

VS Lobo

And for Despero

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jigen879

@chimeroid: But if she wanted to, she could say die backward to The Spectre or Shazam or Nabu and they will die? Is there an explanation? Can we know who her spells work and who does not?

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: Her magic can be shielded from if you have a magic source yourself. We have seen Alan Scott shielding Superman and Kara from one of her spells with his lantern.

And Ofc, Spectre is waaaaay too above her paygrade to kill.

As i have shown, her limit is about at Lobo level, as it drained her magic after half an hour to hold him in place. And then he came back and lolstomped her team.

If you want a detailed debate on it just visit one of my CaVs from earlier this year. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/pick-3-darkraiden-vs-chimeroid-voting-open-1781037/

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Pretty sure she is a bit above lobo level seeing as though she has had spells to affect much more powerful characters.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chimeroid

@storm-is-life: She manhandled Lobo indeed, but she only had enough juice to restrain him for a while. Keep in mind Lobo is as unkillable as Deadpool is.

It is a good measuring stick that shows Zatanna can freeze a Superman level character for half an hour. That is the limit of her powers.

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: I see what you mean. Your talking about the duration she can retain a spell.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Chimeroid

@storm-is-life: Well, i am talking about the amount of power she has. I will assume she could hold down someone 30X more powerful than Lobo for 1 minute.

That would be what i mean.

Also i don't think she ever used instakill magic as such, could be that she can't.

storm-is-life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Thank you for elaborating, also I'm pretty sure she just chooses not to instakill.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Thanks so much. A friend of mine belivies she is omnipotent! Can you write me the comic where Zatanna fights Lobo? And where Lantern shields Superman? However what if Zatanna said ied, ie die, to Lobo? And an other thing Zatanna is more speed than Lobo in speaking? What?

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879: magic of comic books. They all speak so fast that they hold friggin conversations in combat :)

She had never used ieD as a spell. But she has transmuted a person into a block of gold.

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid:@lord-parallax:

In this comic, Zatanna says that their power does not work on living organic matter. What does it mean? Indeed she deceives her and she asks her to kill her by tearing out his heart to her but this does not work magic and magic creates an explosion.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jigen879

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thomas_hardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigen879:The scans you shared are from Zatanna's monthly series (2010 - 2011, canceled for the New 52 reboot), written by Paul Dini, who is one of the most knowledgeable writers in the business when it comes to her character.

However, the story in question was written by another writer due to Dini's unavailability. The author made a mistake, which is clear, given that Zee has affected living people directly in every one of her appearances, including in every issue of the same monthly series that statement appeared in. The reason for the error is that her own cousin, Zachary, cannot directly affect living beings. She does not share his weakness, though (as you can see below.)

No Caption Provided

As to Zee's power level, according to Paul Dini she could "shake down the gates of Heaven if she wanted to," and Dr. Fate has referred to her as the most powerful magical being in the world. I don't doubt that both statements are accurate, given the feats she's accomplished over the years.

She's effortlessly manipulated the time/space continuum...

Zee freezes time while having lunch with Dinah Lance.
    Zee freezes time while having lunch with Dinah Lance.
    Zee opens a portal through time, dropping herself and a group of Witch Hunters into the past.
    Zee opens a portal through time, dropping herself and a group of Witch Hunters into the past.
    After letting the Hunters sweat, she returns them to their own time -- and directly into prison cells.
    After letting the Hunters sweat, she returns them to their own time -- and directly into prison cells.
    She moves the 7 Soldiers of Victory in time and space to where they are needed most to stop an invasion.
    She moves the 7 Soldiers of Victory in time and space to where they are needed most to stop an invasion.

...turned a man into a lump of gold, eradicating his soul...

Zee saves a man from a Faustian bargain by converting him to gold, destroying his soul.
    Zee saves a man from a Faustian bargain by converting him to gold, destroying his soul.

...permanently cured an entire group of were-hyenas...

Restores a pack of lycanthropes to human and cures them of their disease in one spell.
    Restores a pack of lycanthropes to human and cures them of their disease in one spell.

...forced the demonically empowered Brother Night to renounce his Faustian bargain, dooming himself to an eternity in Hell, and enslaved the nightmare demon Fuselli in her hat after almost destroying him...

Forces Brother Night to doom himself to Hell by renouncing his Faustian deal.
    Forces Brother Night to doom himself to Hell by renouncing his Faustian deal.
    After nearly destroying Fuselli by splitting him amongst countless dreams, she binds him in her hat
    After nearly destroying Fuselli by splitting him amongst countless dreams, she binds him in her hat

...effortlessly engaged in dimensional teleportation...

Chasing a Lord of Chaos, she travels through multiple dimensions before teleporting him to a realm of her choice.
    Chasing a Lord of Chaos, she travels through multiple dimensions before teleporting him to a realm of her choice.

...and even transformed multiple simultaneously fired bullets into paper airplanes after they were in flight, among other impressive accomplishments.

Zee responds to an attack, turning multiple bullets into paper airplanes after they are fired.
    Zee responds to an attack, turning multiple bullets into paper airplanes after they are fired.

A common misconception is that she needs to speak to cast spells, but this isn't true. She learned magic from her father's journals, which used a speech based technique (specifically reciting spells in backwards speech), which was a limitation that she did have for a time. However, over time she has learned to perform magic in other ways.

She regularly uses non-verbal magic to perform feats such as telekinesis and conjuration...

Zee holds her phone aloft and undresses for a bath with silently used telekinesis.
    Zee holds her phone aloft and undresses for a bath with silently used telekinesis.
    Awoken by a phone call, she changes from her sleepwear to work clothes without a word.
    Awoken by a phone call, she changes from her sleepwear to work clothes without a word.
    As a part of her stage act, she uses non-verbal magic to unbind her chained wrists and teleport.
    As a part of her stage act, she uses non-verbal magic to unbind her chained wrists and teleport.

...flight/levitation...

Zatanna uses non-verbal magic to fly over San Francisco.
    Zatanna uses non-verbal magic to fly over San Francisco.
    Knocked from the sky, Zee catches herself with a water spout, then uses a silent spell to fly.
    Knocked from the sky, Zee catches herself with a water spout, then uses a silent spell to fly.

...and even astral projection and divination.

Zee uses astral projection to visit a neutral magical therapist who lives in an alternate dimension.
    Zee uses astral projection to visit a neutral magical therapist who lives in an alternate dimension.

She also learned how to cast spells verbally, but speaking normally, in the "Come Together" mini-series, and has shown the ability to cast non-verbal spells with written magic or blood magic...

Her lungs full of Hellfire, Zee survives long enough to write a spell out on the floor, saving her life.
    Her lungs full of Hellfire, Zee survives long enough to write a spell out on the floor, saving her life.

...or even via proxy...

Unable to speak properly due to her braces, Zee uses a Spell-&-Speak to cast a spell...
    Unable to speak properly due to her braces, Zee uses a Spell-&-Speak to cast a spell...
    ...imprisoning a criminal in a cage formed from her braces themselves.
    ...imprisoning a criminal in a cage formed from her braces themselves.

or sign language.

Mouth gagged and hands bound, Zee casts a teleportation spell with sign language.
    Mouth gagged and hands bound, Zee casts a teleportation spell with sign language.

I don't believe Zatanna has ever used a spell designed to instantly kill someone, however under the control of sorcerer Brother Night (Zatanna #03), her father's spirit has cast such a spell against her (which she successfully blocked with a counterspell.)

Zatara's ghost casts a killing spell -- ied! Zee blocks it with a shield counterspell.
    Zatara's ghost casts a killing spell -- ied! Zee blocks it with a shield counterspell.

Since her father's magical abilities are identical to her own, this clearly indicates that she is capable of casting killing spells.

As to the notion that her spells do have to be specific in order to work, this is not true, but her intentions while casting do. Though she needs to focus her mind on what she specifically wants to happen in order to accomplish the desired results, her words can remain vague.

With just the word repair, she causes her whole room to revert to its intended state after a fight.
    With just the word repair, she causes her whole room to revert to its intended state after a fight.
    Just by saying
    Just by saying "water," Zee fills the lungs of Ember, a dragon hatchling in a human host.
    She pushes Mammon back from Zach and her with the word
    She pushes Mammon back from Zach and her with the word "away."

Her only real limitations are available magical energy, ability to concentrate, and imagination (though a more powerful magic caster does, of course, have the ability to potentially defend themself against her magics.) This does not add up to a serious weakness under most circumstances, however, given she can perform impressive tasks with little to no effort...

Asleep on a flight, Zee is half awakened by geese flying into the jet's engines...
    Asleep on a flight, Zee is half awakened by geese flying into the jet's engines...
    ...and she fixes the engines without fully waking up, returning to sleep for the rest of the flight.
    ...and she fixes the engines without fully waking up, returning to sleep for the rest of the flight.

...and she can borrow magical energy from other sources, including other magic users.

With her cousin Zach focused on a target, she usurps his magical energy and adds to her own spell.
    With her cousin Zach focused on a target, she usurps his magical energy and adds to her own spell.

Hopefully, all that helped you or anyone else who comes here in the future understand Zatanna a little bit better.

wsapollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By wsapollo

Everything you can imagine. It can range from throwing a human thief's weapon to rewriting a villain's personality, manipulating reality to resurrecting someone, it can freeze time to invoke his father's spirit, from stopping a bloodthirsty Lobo to taking control of a powerful demon from the justice league.

Well, she has only one limit so far: She can be disabled with a rope around her mouth or something. However, she can loosen up in less than 28 seconds of ropes and removing her mouth doesn’t stop her, in addition, she can cast “minor” spells without speaking, for example, explosions strong enough to injure John, teleport , use telekinesis and even create shields. She is also trained in combat, but obviously not at batman level.

RESPECT ZATANNA ZATARA (DC COMICS)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/zatanna-respect-thread-new-52rebirth-2091280/

MaiZen99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She is pretty good against speedster too

here one against Barry

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/naM1CB4wBudE7u8tN050gLCETFeshwSDeodDI9vC4j7kY-hzUNRNlStMXtVx0Uc2ZwPETvxapsykmQ=s1600

Against Superman in JLD Movie

https://youtu.be/4UlpX9e5AnY

Forcing charging Captain Marvel tu blurt out Shazam

https://youtu.be/42hm3gDnTFA

Also she defeating Pralaya, The God aspect that put everything in the multiverse to the sleep even the God. She also forcing Upside Down Man to pay for magic cost and crush it at recent JLD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.