Follow

Zatanna

Character » Zatanna appears in 1684 issues.

A good stage magician and daughter of magician Giovanni John Zatara, Zatanna, the Mistress of Magic, after her father vanished, kidnapped by an old foe she delved into his library and learned about her ancestors, Zatanna taught herself how to get access to her power by speaking her spells backwards, and became one of most powerful magic-users in the DC Universe.

Anyone else slightly disappointed at the New 52 Zatanna?

Avatar image for ace_of_spades90
    Ace_Of_Spades90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ace_Of_Spades90

Even though there weren't very many comics that featured Zatanna as the main protagonist before the New 52, Paul Dini's 2011 run, in my opinion, really breathed new life into the underused Zatanna, showcasing that she was more than capable of having her own series. She was sarcastically funny and witty and was pretty relatable. And the girl was pretty darn powerful to boot. But yeah, while her brief run wasn't the most thought provoking, it was fun.

Flash forward to now (she's currently a member of the Justice League Dark), and she just doesn't quite seem to have that presence any longer. Not only did she lose her personality, but she seems to have lost the title as "DC's most powerful sorceress." I don't know. I thought that was kind of odd. I do get that Justice League Dark is a darker series, and as such it's going to be, well, darker. However, injecting her with some much needed humor and wit wouldn't hurt! After all, she's kind of boring now.

What are your thoughts?

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By wtk1013

I'm not really dissapointed but I do feel like she hasnt had any character development like vixen in the New 52.They both have the potential to be A-list heroes if handled right.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I just think there's is way to little appearances from her in the New 52, I havent read JLD so I basically missed out on all of it. She really needs to get her solo series ASAP or atleast a main slot on the main JL, they could use a magic character anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.