Follow

Youngblood

Team » Youngblood appears in 219 issues.

Youngblood is a team of superheroes formed by the United States government to be the next generation of heroes.

Rob Liefeld Talks About The Youngblood Movie

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided
    I never thought that Youngblood was necessarily the best comic put out but I did like it.  When Image first started, we got a bunch of new and some what fresh comics that weren't tied to the histories and continuities of the major publishers.  The creators got a chance to create their own characters and do whatever they wanted with them.

While I read the current series off and on (a little more off), I do want to seem them on the big screen.  I do like the idea of a government team of 'superheroes' that become embraced by the public as celebrities.  It just makes sense.  The tabloids and popparazzi would be all over them.'

Youngblood creator, Rob Liefeld has been talking about the movie a bit lately.  In a recent interview with MTV, he mentioned that writers J.P. Lavin and Chad Damiani are currently half way through a first draft of the screenplay.  Liefeld is also attending every meeting with the writers to oversee the handling of his creation.

Liefled mentions that the "tone" of the movie will be along the lines of "Iron Man."  He would like to push the boundaries of a PG-13 rating and get away with as much violence as they can.  The movie will focus on members Shaft and Chapel.
    They don’t like each other.  Shaft is the new kid on the block in the movie, and he and Chapel have to put aside their differences to save the Youngblood program.

Speaking of Shaft, or actually 'getting the shaft,' it seems one character will not be in the movie.  Badrock (originally called Bedrock) "doesn't fit" in the film.  Apparently it was Liefeld's choice to leave him out.  Perhaps if there is a sequel in the future, he'll have his chance?  I do have to admit that trying to translate Badrock could compromise the look of the film, especially for those pesky non-comic book reader/movie-goers.

How do you think a Youngblood movie will do?  Movie-goers are eating up comic adapted movies these days.  With Brett Ratner involved, do you think this could be a blockbuster?
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By xerox_kitty

Ever get the feeling that Ratner's trying to prove The Last Stand isn't his fault by starting afresh with a new hero team?

the Vica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By the Vica

Lol, I love how all guys promoting superhero films now seem to go "Yeah, we're goin for that Iron Man kinda feel..."

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck
    xerox-kitty said:
    "Ever get the feeling that Ratner's trying to prove The Last Stand isn't his fault by starting afresh with a new hero team?"
    He said before that all the good stuff was taken.  Weird since there still sooooo many characters that haven't been touched.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He handled a 'team' movie well.  It just shouldn't have had "X-Men" or even the letter "X" anywhere in the title.  The writers should maybe take some of the blame as well.  I hope that this does come out well.  Youngblood and Liefeld too often get a bum rap.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#4  Edited By xerox_kitty
    G-Man said:
    "xerox-kitty said:
    "Ever get the feeling that Ratner's trying to prove The Last Stand isn't his fault by starting afresh with a new hero team?"
    He said before that all the good stuff was taken.  Weird since there still sooooo many characters that haven't been touched.  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He handled a 'team' movie well.  It just shouldn't have had "X-Men" or even the letter "X" anywhere in the title.  The writers should maybe take some of the blame as well.  I hope that this does come out well.  Youngblood and Liefeld too often get a bum rap."
    I didn't know that 'all the good stuff was taken' before today... I guess he couldn't get JLA.  I really don' blame him for Last Stand; I know lots of people do, but I've enjoyed his stuff in the past so I know what he's capable of.  And I agree completely: great summer blockbuster movie, but not an X-Men film.

That said, I just don't care for Youngblood.  Maybe some of the pre-movie hype will change my mind in the far flung future, but I seriously doubt it.  For Ratner's sake, I hope it does well.  For Liefeld's sake, I hope it pans.

the Vica said:
    "Lol, I love how all guys promoting superhero films now seem to go "Yeah, we're goin for that Iron Man kinda feel...""
    Shame they didn't say that when they were doing re-shoots for Wolverine ;)
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

The buzz around the local comic shop is...people don't want this movie ruining the comic.If people see the movie and it's good then try and read the comics with Leifeld's terrible art.They will be disappointed.

Hadrelius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hadrelius

As long as it has Die Hard and he is done well, I will see it.

MrMiracle77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MrMiracle77

Wasn't Brett Ratner blathering on last month about how there was "nothing left to adapt"?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Decept-O

Youngblood was an entertaining comic book , even with Liefeld's art,  which is hit and miss.  Still, I distinctly recall how many readers were excited about Youngblood when Image first started up. 

I like the story idea of the potential movie.   As G-Man pointed out and what I realized awhile ago is that Ratner was partially responsible for f*in' up Last Stand, but not entirely the sole party.  The writers are more to blame--he followed what they wanted,  and the studio and producers followed suit--mistakenly.   Not defending him a lot, but he has had success with other movies, so I am willing to forego Last Stand and HOPE his involvement with this will steer it in the right direction.  Badrock is just too similar to the Thing on many levels although he was a fun character, and I think it's wise to exclude him.

This may not be Iron Man or Dark Knight status, but it IS a comic book superhero movie.  While I am aware there have been and will be bad super hero movies, I am hoping this won't be one. I think it's good to add some diversity to the comic book movie genre.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By The Devil Tiger

I WANT RIPTIDE !!!!!!!

Seriously, the worst thing that can be happening is to get more badly drawed liefield comics in the future.
    I don't like his style of drawing, sorry ! But the thing that puzzled me was that he has a good story to tell anyway. Like G-man said, goverment and paparazzi Issue : it just make sense !

The Bad side was the writing himself, and the drawing. (Yeah, I know, this leave almost nothing...). I will keep checkin' this issue, but Frankly, I'm not too optimistic, more if Badrock is not on : Come one ! I do love the unadultered side of Badrock. He was a funny character, something like Hiro in Heroes, without him, I think we only just get a band of cool looking boring badass in spandex.

Mutant X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mutant X

Youngblood is an awesome comic. I hope the movie does well.

[I actually like Liefeld's art. He's got his own style.]

Nibiru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nibiru

DO NOT WANT.

mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By mattydeNero

I wonder if any character will have his or her feet filmed.  Y'know, to go with the Liefeld style:  Show no feet as much as possible.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Media_Master

Never heard of Young Bloods until now

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By geraldthesloth

:\

Worst thing to come from my hometown..aka Rob Liefeld

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    geraldthesloth said:
    ":\Worst thing to come from my hometown..aka Rob Liefeld"

LOL !
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I tried the first issue of the very first Image Youngblood. That was the first time I'd ever read anything by Liefeld. I wasn't reading Marvel so I hadn't seen his work before. My impression - boy that Spawn is pretty good! Savage Dragon and ShadowHawk were better. I never looked back. Times may have changed since then, and the characters may have developed...Badrock was kind of my favorite. He had a title for a while and I read a team-up with Grifter that was pretty good. I'm just not sure how good a Youngblood movie could be. Without seeming too much like either The Avengers or X-Men. Isn't that what he was going for? The big screen hasn't been too kind to Image characters. I did like what I saw of animated versions of WildC.A.T.s and Savage Dragon.  

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the creator
    G-Man said:
    I never thought that Youngblood was necessarily the best comic put out but I did like it.  When Image first started, we got a bunch of new and some what fresh comics that weren't tied to the histories and continuities of the major publishers.  The creators got a chance to create their own characters and do whatever they wanted with them.

While I read the current series off and on (a little more off), I do want to seem them on the big screen.  I do like the idea of a government team of 'superheroes' that become embraced by the public as celebrities.  It just makes sense.  The tabloids and popparazzi would be all over them.'

Youngblood creator, Rob Liefeld has been talking about the movie a bit lately.  In a recent interview with MTV, he mentioned that writers J.P. Lavin and Chad Damiani are currently half way through a first draft of the screenplay.  Liefeld is also attending every meeting with the writers to oversee the handling of his creation.

Liefled mentions that the "tone" of the movie will be along the lines of "Iron Man."  He would like to push the boundaries of a PG-13 rating and get away with as much violence as they can.  The movie will focus on members Shaft and Chapel.
    They don’t like each other.  Shaft is the new kid on the block in the movie, and he and Chapel have to put aside their differences to save the Youngblood program.

Speaking of Shaft, or actually 'getting the shaft,' it seems one character will not be in the movie.  Badrock (originally called Bedrock) "doesn't fit" in the film.  Apparently it was Liefeld's choice to leave him out.  Perhaps if there is a sequel in the future, he'll have his chance?  I do have to admit that trying to translate Badrock could compromise the look of the film, especially for those pesky non-comic book reader/movie-goers.How do you think a Youngblood movie will do?  Movie-goers are eating up comic adapted movies these days.  With Brett Ratner involved, do you think this could be a blockbuster?"
    My first thoughts of Youngblood was that was not that good.
    The characters were 2 dimensional and frankly this view has not changed.

As for leaving out Badrock, could it simply be that it would cost a lot more to do him justice (with CGI) and thus he will be left out.
    Many of the other characters are human form with powers more easily CGI'ed on screen.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
    Maybe this could work...
    Avatar image for thesavageassasin
    TheSavageAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheSavageAssasin

Cant wait

Pulsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Pulsar

I wonder who else will be on the team? Will we get to see Sentinel? Or Cougar? How about Dutch? Hell, I'd take Vogue. lol

Avatar image for captainlunchbox
    Captainlunchbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Captainlunchbox

God, who cares? Most of the early 90's Image stuff was and still is garbage.

A bunch of exaggerated to hell anatomy and a jumble of some of the most clumsy and forgettable costume designs you'll ever see.

Metal piping everywhere? Great. Thanks for that. Everyone got pupil-less eyes? Check. Small, sharpened, teeth? Cool. No emotions outside of menacing, angry scowling? Ok, that's enough.

Avatar image for unbreakableburr
    unbreakableburr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By unbreakableburr

Ew. No.

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23  Edited By Zoom

I hope it gets made just so it can horribly fail.

Youngblood doesn't have the fanbase X-Men or Batman has.  Heck, it doesn't even have the fanbase the Spirit has.  (Granted, Spirit fans also knew who Frank Miller was so they knew the Spirit movie wasn't gonna be any good but still)

Catastrophic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Catastrophic
    @Captainlunchbox: I believe that messy-ness and gritty look is what Image fans wanted. Sometimes people are actually bored looking at the clean looks most Marvel and DC characters have. So that's where characters like Spawn come out and they have what some people the "street feel". Not all comics have to be cleanly drawn. Some are meant to be messy.

PS/I still love clean looking characters. Messyness is needed sometimes.
    pablo roberto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pablo roberto

I was a little disappointed with the third X-Men film but if they plan to make Youngblood into a movie, they should really take careful steps and try to stay to the comic interpretation as close a possible. It kinda sounds cool though with all the hi-tech cybervibe Youngblood has incorporated all these years. 

I seem to notice a lot of people on the internet who disses Liefeld's art and it's always about the feet. Liefeld established himself and made a fortune drawing these "feet", think these whining dorks can do better? They love to complain and whine about it but they can never attain the same height of credibility and popularity Liefeld has attained all these years. Bunch of losers! Go make your own comic books then sell them! 

I love Liefeld's work and I thank him for inspiring me and several others!  

ht tp :   //  ww w .    m y   sp ac  e.   c   om /  pablorobertosweden    
    AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AskaniSon295

Diehard: Man Made Machine

Chapel: Cold Blooded Killer employed by the government.

Shaft: Leader/Archer

Badrock: Kid in the body of a Rock Muscle

Supreme: aged Superman

Glory: aged Wonderwoman

that should be the youngblood movie.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By Billy Batson

lawd no.
    BB

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.