In Aztec mythology, Xolotl was the god of both lightning and death. He was also associated with the sunset and would guard the Sun as it traveled through the underworld every night. Dogs were associated with Xolotl as it was believed they would lead a soul on its journey to the underworld together. He was commonly depicted as a monstrous dog and is the canine twin brother of Quetzalcoatl, the pair being sons of the virgin Coatlicue. Xolotl is also the dark personification of Venus, the evening star, and was associated with heavenly fire.
Xolotl is a public domain character due to his connection to ancient Aztec mythology. DC comics however have given Xolotl their own version of his history. In the DCU, Xolotl is actually a White Martian in disguise who fled his homeworld for unknown reasons. He ended up in the middle of the Mexica Empire (now referred to as Aztecs) and because of his extraordinary gifts was worshipped as a god by the locals. He embraced the role, so much so that when the Mexica empire fell and became modern day Mexico, Xolotl was severly weakened. The once extremly powerful diety now wonders the Sonoran desert wreaking havoc, which of course has caught the attention of both Checkmate/Jake Dalesko and the Suicide Squad/Amanda Waller. He is depicted as an ally of Azucar and the Chato Santana version of El Diablo.
Powers And Abilities
- Super Strength: He is able to go toe to toe with El Dorado and other powerhouse characters.
- Invulnerability: Bullets are shown to have no effect on him.
- Invisibility: When he fights Uncle Sam and El Diablo he is Invisble the entire time.
- Immortality: He reveals to El Diablo and Azucar that he has been alive for a very long and doesn't age.
- Shape Shifting: He is able to change his shape and outside appearance at will.