The Soldier Part One wiki last edited by DonFelipe on 05/28/17 11:06AM
View full history
WAR IS COMING!
Born under the oppressive thumb of the Roman Empire, Aric of Dacia learned warfare at an early age. It was amid such violence that he was abducted by an alien race. Forced into slavery, he survived where others perished. His escape would come from bonding with a weapon of immeasurable power: the X-O Manowar armor. With it, he returned to Earth…only to find himself stranded in the modern day.
But that was a lifetime ago.
Now, far from home on a strange and primitive new world, Aric has begun a new life. Liberated from his past, he tends to his crops. Free from war. Free from violence. Free from the armor.
But the machinery of death marches his way once again. Conscripted into an alien army and thrown into an unforgiving conflict, the fury inside him finds voice as he is forced to embrace the armor once more. With it, he will decimate armies, topple empires and incite interplanetary warfare as he rises from SOLDIER to GENERAL to EMPEROR to VISIGOTH. They wanted a weapon. He will give them war!
A stunning new beginning for Valiant’s most enduring icon starts here as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Divinity, Ninjak, Mind MGMT) and a rotating cast of powerhouse interior artists spanning the series’ first year – including Tomas Giorello (4001 A.D.: War Mother, Bloodshot Reborn), Doug Braithwaite (Armor Hunters, Bloodshot U.S.A.), Clayton Crain (Rai, Carnage), Ryan Bodenheim (The Dying & The Dead), and Mico Suayan (Bloodshot Reborn) – present the biggest Valiant debut of all time…and unleash the brutal opening salvo of the ultimate X-O Manowar tale ever told!
List of covers and their creators:
|A||Cover A||Lewis LaRosa & Brian Reber||1|
|B||Cover B||Kenneth Rocafort||28|
|C||Pre-Order Edition Cover C||Tomás Giorello & Diego Rodriguez||29|
|D||1:20 Retailer Incentive Interlock Cover D||Mico Suayan & David Baron||30|
|E||1:50 Retailer Incentive X-O Icon Cover E||J. G. Jones||31|
|F||1:500 Retailer Incentive Brushed Metal Variant Cover F||Monika Palosz||32|
|RE||Atomic Comics Exclusive Variant Cover||Clayton Crain||5|
|RE||Borderlands / SC Comicon Exclusive B&W Sketch Variant Cover||Lewis LaRosa||6|
|RE||Bulletproof Exclusive Variant Cover||Diego Bernard||7|
|RE||Cloud City Exclusive Variant Cover||Andy Belanger||8|
|RE||Collector's Paradise Exclusive Variant Cover||Nick Bradshaw||26|
|RE||Collector's Paradise Exclusive B&W Sketch Variant Cover||Nick Bradshaw||27|
|RE||Comics Dungeon Exclusive Cat Cosplay Variant Cover||-||23|
|RE||ComicsPro Retailer Edition Variant Cover||Lewis LaRosa||9|
|RE||DCBS Retailer Edition Variant Cover||Lewis LaRosa||10|
|RE||Fight or Flight Exclusive Interlocking 360° Wraparound Variant Cover||Stephen Segovia||11|
|RE||Fried Pie Exclusive Variant Cover||Tom Fowler||12|
|RE||Fried Pie Con Exclusive B&W Sketch Variant Cover||Tom Fowler||13|
|RE||Golden Apple / Wondercon Exclusive Variant Cover||Bill Sienkiewicz||14|
|RE||Heroes & Fantasies Exclusive Variant Cover||Geoff Shaw||15|
|RE||Humble Bundle $25 Level Virgin Art Signed||Lewis LaRosa & Brian Reber||25|
|RE||Knowhere Games & Comics Exclusive Variant Cover||Al Barrionuevo||16|
|RE||Larry's Comics Exclusive "Demon In A Bottle" Variant Cover||Bob Layton||17|
|RE||Legend's Comics Exclusive Variant Cover||David Lafuente||18|
|RE||Mega City One Exclusive B&W Variant Cover||Tomás Giorello||19|
|RE||Most Good Hobby Exclusive Variant Cover||Clayton Crain||20|
|RE||Ssalefish Exclusive Variant Cover||Shane Davis||21|
|RE||The Nerd Store Exclusive Variant Cover||Kano||22|
|RE||Ultimate Comics Exclusive Interlocking 360° Wraparound Variant Cover||Stephen Segovia||24|
|RE||ValiantDatabase.com Exclusive Variant Cover||Philip Tan||4|
|2nd||Second Printing Cover||Lewis LaRosa & Brian Reber||3|
|3rd||Third Printing Cover||Lewis LaRosa & Brian Reber||2|
- The main cover is a homage to Hildebrandt's iconic movie poster for Star Wars: A New Hope.
- The Pre-Order Edition contains 8 exclusive bonus pages with background information about the different races on Planet Gorin, etc.
- For 1 Brushed Metal Variant retailers had to order 500 copies of regular covers (A & B) or 500 copies of a store exclusive variant.
- Atomic Comics started a lottery to give away their copy of the Brushed Metal variant. Buying one of their exclusive variants would give the buyer one entry to the lottery.
- The exclusive variant of Collector's Paradise is the first retailer exclusive to also feature 8 pages of exclusive content, sketches, and an essay from the shop owner who is a huge fan and supporter of Valiant comics.
- The cover of Larry's Comics exclusive variant is a homage to the classic cover of Iron Man #128 from 1979 (also drawn by Bob Layton). A black-and-white version of this variant is available for X-O Manowar (2017) #2.
- Tom Muller is credited for the creation of the new X-O logo.