Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-men vs Sportsmen

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

How can you differentiate mutant ability(featz) and a Sports-person's ability?

Can they be viewed as similar?

Is that why character's like storm,jean,psylocke,magneto aren't always at their peak?

I hope I put my thoughts right.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Good question. Sometimes, some contestants (usually an individual) do extreme things that I felt , if I were a judge, I might comment "he/she shouldn't join the competition. he/she could be a mutant.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That is not what i posted here.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I get what you mean, and yeah, it usually isn't something that is mentioned or considered very much. But, I guess it would be weird if an X-man slipped up when the fate of the universe was at stake because they were having an off day and weren't "on their game" that day.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What you mention if one of the reasons why it’s sort of hard to argue on the battles forum. People often use extreme outliers either high or low balling a character by its best or worst showings.

A far better argument would instead be to average out the level the character normally functions at and go from there.

But in any medium where you have multiple writers all adding content, things will have inconsistencies.

I can picture Xavier sitting there in a wheelchair saying “My bad,” as Juggernaut stomps away from the wrecked mansion.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always felt that acknowledging special abilities as beneficial talents was a part that is severely missing in the X-mythos. We're hammered with the idea that it will only invoke fear and hatred when in actuality there will be lots of jealous MFs around, just like some average people are jealous of talented sportsmen and geniuses. Everything that is eXeptional is a subject of desire.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is alot of this just a spin on Beast and his backstory as an athlete?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) The difference would be the effort they put into to accomplish their feats. Natural mutants with peak conditions for a body have no trouble and don’t usually need any exercise to accomplish that level of talent. Meanwhile, athletes train all the time to tailor their body to do what is necessary.

2) The similarities come in the basic description of a peak human condition.

3) It more comes out of how necessary are these conditions in conjunction with their abilities:

•Jean Grey has for the most part only been a woman of average human condition due to her fighting style. With telekinesis being capable of long range feats and with the levels of power that Jean has where she only needs to think to toss a car, it isn’t exactly necessary to exercise, but would be beneficial in situations where either the opponent gets to her too quickly or she for some reason can’t use her powers. Needless to say. Jean has described herself as not much of a brawler, so if for whatever reason they figure out how to get through her powers, it is weakness they can exploit if they are better than an average martial artist. (Considering canonically, Jean does know self-defense and a degree of martial arts from Phoenix memories possibly.)

•Storm I believe is a woman described as more than average exercising for a woman, but not necessarily peak. It comes with the territory of being a theif in her youth and later, in a primitive community where electronics are not entirely present, if at all. Because of this, her reaction timing is remarkable and the fact that she always kept some lockpicking tools nearby (if I’m not correct anyways, a Storm fan will probably correct me), it is safe to say that these abilities have not waned, despite the fact that the nature of Storms powers makes it unnecessary for Storm to use these abilities on a regular basis, but Storm is usually prepared for the unforeseen.

•Psylocke is probably the most peak condition of these women. Peak condition for the human body? I’m not entirely sure. I’m confident in my statement though due to Betsy’s fighting style. Despite the nature Betsy’s powers being similar to Jean Grey’s, Betsy’s time in Kwannon’s body with her memories (plus, some training by a martial artist through plot device) kind of pushed her to a style more up-close and personal. Even if Betsy goes long-range, its usually with psionic weapons that are useful with good accuracy, rather than simply thinking and stuff happens. Though Betsy’s new body has given her leeway to use her psionic say a more distance in recent times, Betsy has not lost her up-close fighting style so I am assuming that her body should be in the same condition as Kwannons, since Betsy made it herself.

(Also note that Betsy has used tactile telekinesis for enhancing her physical abilities, so even if Betsy isn’t peak human in condition, she has her telekinesis to pick up any slack that she lacks.)

•Magneto is in the same category as Jean, though I’d bargain better prepared, as Claremont so recently shown in X-Men: Black. I believe at one point his body became youthful again, so he had a leg up peak human conditioning. That said, he seems to be portrayed as his age affecting him, but Magneto still pushes his body and powers as well as his mind. So, I’d say average condition of a young man at his best. But like I said, his situation is similar to Jean in where his powers make it unnecessary to really use his physical abilities, but given foes like Nightcrawler, it pays to have some sort of human conditioning to tank any surprise attacks as well as make a hasty retreat on the ground.

Hope I did good.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, mutants would also be banned from doing sports.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.