Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men series and AvX

griffin739

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By griffin739

Why does it seem like some of the comics are ignoring whats going on in AvX. X-Men vol 3 seems to be doing it and I don't understand. I get Uncanny X-Force doing it because of all of the backdoor dealings and what not. How can one of the main X titles ignore everything???

Jeanniebird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jeanniebird

Don't ask, just be grateful :p

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Osian2

When the higher ups at Marvel asked the writers if they wanted to work on AVX the clever ones walked away

griffin739

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By griffin739

Ya I guess I get that, it has become pretty ludicrous, but still having Colossus screwing around in the ocean when he's supposed to be part of the Phoenix is a little annoying.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By papad1992

@Osian2 said:

When the higher ups at Marvel asked the writers if they wanted to work on AVX the clever ones walked away

Funny but sad....

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By allthatsgeek

@griffin739 said:

Why does it seem like some of the comics are ignoring whats going on in AvX. X-Men vol 3 seems to be doing it and I don't understand. I get Uncanny X-Force doing it because of all of the backdoor dealings and what not. How can one of the main X titles ignore everything???

A: These books were already in the middle of a story-arc that needs to wrap before the book ends, and couldn't be integrated into the current crossover. The events take place prior to AvX.

I think the better question, is: "Why is a book that falls out of sync with current continuity SO MUCH BETTER than the huge mega event that is supposed to blow us away?"

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Nightcrawler23

What's the point in MARVEL even having ongoing series if every other arc is a tie-in to a crossover?

Umbraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Umbraa

It depends. Real talk AvX is selling greatly. The books not involved are the ones that are not moving the mega plot into the next status quo.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@griffin739 said:

(Apologies if i come as a rude b*tch)

Not sure why this is a problem, ever since Gischler took the reigns over that title, he tried to make it a main series with Vampires being their main antagonists but it never worked, it just turned into a writer having some silly obsession with an unfathomable new "trend" which caused several readers to stray away. The title "X-Men" doesn't neccessarily mean it's going to be a main title, it's purpose was to integrate Marvel's Mightiest Mutants with the rest of the MU, it worked, for some time, but it wasn't enough to have solid fans. During all the major events like FIS and even Schism, the title never tied-in, Marvel always had it doing its own thing and that's how it's been. Now, with Brian Wood taking over, this title is the BEST it's been since creation, stellar characterization with character development every other issue, the team dynamic feels natural and under only two issues, it's turned into a must-read.

Wood explicitly made it clear that nothing AvX affects his story, and, honestly, that's a fantastic thing. That's more than you could ask for because AvX is the worst Marvel event in years, you wouldn't want that nonsense of a "story" affecting a good title, which is why fan-favorites and superb titles like X-Factor, Uncanny X-Force and this title are staying out of it, regardless of if the characters involved are featured in the event, it shouldn't really matter.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened, with Ellis' run of Astonishing X-Men, none of their exploits were ever mentioned in other X-Titles, nor was that title involved in major events except for when it was Whdeon's flagship. Correlation isn't really a thing with X-Titles of today, what with there being so many, so writers tend to keep themselves, LOL. Except for Uncanny X-Force and Wolverine and The X-Men, and, partially, X-Men and Uncanny X-Men.

If we were to follow the supposed continuity of AvX, none of the characters featured in X-Men would be around for that book, Storm would have been in Wakanda fighting at some point, Domino also would have been in Wundagore Mountain or something, like you pointed out, Colossus would be all Phoenix'y, Psylocke would also be fighting and Pixie should have been at the Avengers Academy.

Point being: it's not a main X-Title and never has been. The main X-Titles are suffering badly because of this event.

But, like : said - I think the better question, is: "Why is a book that falls out of sync with current continuity SO MUCH BETTER than the huge mega event that is supposed to blow us away?".

allthatsgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By allthatsgeek

@AgeofHurricane: Ironically, I didn't have a problem with the X-Men taking on the vampires, I at least thought it was something different (at least they aren't fighting toad, avalance and the blob, amirite?), if not a bit gimmicky. That's the nature of the beast I guess, gotta get people in with what's hot, marketing trends and demographics and numbers and science and stuff.I thought it was cool to see Mutants dealing with non-mutant issues, which perhaps straight from that segued into the extinction team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.