Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men: First Class Review — Don't Call It A Reboot

Nightwing23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By Nightwing23

I just saw it today. I do like how the story ties-in with historical events  

but if you're worried bout the timeline of the characters it is pretty messed up!!!  

Spoiler: There was a scene wherein charles used cerebro to find mutants  

and there was a kid around 14 with shades, if that was cyclops that will pose as a big problem because the guy who played havok looks 17 or 18 years old...Sorry! 

Even my girl who doesn't read the books hated it a lot!!! 
    howlettgrowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#152  Edited By howlettgrowl

are they gonna do a video review for this film like they did for thor???

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#153  Edited By Agent Buttons

I like how Angel had little to no dialogue in the second half of the movie.

Officer: Stop or I'll shoot!
    Sebastian: Yes, I know you will, but where are all the evolved people?

Hahaha...

Nev-man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#154  Edited By Nev-man

"It was a good movie. Not a great one..."

Then you give an overall 4 out of 5 score? Colour me confused by your wavering opinion. 

X-men: First Class, now being the fifth film to be based on the X-men franchise, stands right alongside X2 as the best of it's kind. If you were worried about this film, you're fears will be washed away. It impressed me even more than Thor (which I loved).

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By jorgeareizaga

The actor that plays Magneto is really HOT!!!!!! he is super handsome I easily understand why Mystique follows him and even asked him to have sex

greeneagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By greeneagle
    @War Killer:  @War Killer said:
    @The Mast said:
    I feel that with Marvel Studios making movies that are different, yet respectful to the source, there's no excuse to make movies this far removed anymore.  I do believe that it's possible to make comic movies exact to the source
    This.
    Ditto.
    darkcloakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By darkcloakx

i love it ! its a great movie with a good story and good performances the characters seem more realistic than they were in the other x-men films. 5 stars from me i hope x-men first class get a sequel.  

Zuutvaarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Zuutvaarn

This was entertaining. It could have been better but its sooooo uncanon it's not even funny! 

sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#159  Edited By sladewilson30
    @darkwolverineUSMC
    i agree that it has nothing to with the other films, but i still thought it was a bad ass story, it was deffinetly a little darker than the other films as well, i thought it was funny when erik and charles aproach wolverine and he told them to fuck off, lol. and you missed a couple of things, in the first film, charles said that magneto had found a way to block his telepathy, but he didn't know what, where as in first class, shaw originally had the helmet and magneto took it from him. another thing is that in first class, beast created cerebro, where as in the first film, charles said that magneto helped him build it. this screams reboot. sorry g-man. and shaws powers weren't excelerated, he just had abilities more like bishop, although i don't get why he didn't have these abilities at first, because he was old, so i'm guessing he unlocked the mutant gene in himself somehow, which makes me think of mr. sinister, which leads me to believe that they just combined elements from differant characters not unlike what jon favrou did with the ironman films, but x-men first class was still worth the money in my opinion, so go see it folks
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw the film and thought it was easily better than any of the X-men movies that came before.......yes this includes X-men and X-men 2 which were really not great movies given they focused almost entirely on one character (Wolverine) than the entire team or what was really going on in the story (okay, so they focused a bit on Rogue as well). While there were some minor issues with the story and some of the set designs and such I'd rate this film an A- easy, and as much as I didn't want to see the ending of a major character it made perfect sense in how this film was presented.

But what instantly sets this film apart from the rest is one distinct feature of X-men lore that was forgotten in the last films......the X-men started as a team of teenagers trying to survive in a world prejudice against them. The past films started the major characters in adulthood and as I already said focused too heavily on Wolverine and Rogue. This film captures that idea perfectly by making the team young (the scene in the CIA "secret lab" showcasing that the best), emphasizing each person on the team as well as showing the prejudice and the instant fear that comes with the discovery of mutants. Though the first film tried to play up the McCarthy-era "red scare" idea with the "list of potential mutants", I thought this film did a better job connecting the round-up of Jews and others during WWII to the CIA's expectations, fears, and later resolve to round up mutants.  

McAvoy and Fassenbender (think I spelled that wrong) definitely carried the show and you could clearly see each character evolve to their more recognizable features. Charles began very naive, desperate to fit in, and it was interesting to see him shy about Raven's true appearance and his insistence that she fit in. Then through the film you see him change and develop a more cautious, realistic viewpoint where he himself accepts how blind he's been to other people's difficulties while at the same time gain a paternal protectiveness towards his team and mutants in general. On the flip side we see Erik struggle with the path of peace or revolution and how his inability to show compassion is what leads him to take a different path than Charles. I also like how they are not showcased as enemies nor building team's against one another but that they are simply taking two different paths that can simply never co-exist.  

My only wish in this new Charles Xavier was giving him a slight bit of telekinesis like his Ultimate universe counterpart but that may have made him too powerful. However, I don't think it would be impossible to add this to his character in the next film and explain it as a further development of his mental abilities to compensate for his physical impairment. Not that this will mean seeing him in battle but it would give him a bit more presence and definitely a defensive power should he be attacked directly (in much the same way that Emma's diamond form is more defensive based).

If there was one other stand-out performance it was the girl playing Raven, which beat the performances of the other kids and January Jones (though I'll admit Jones played the part perfectly for how the character appeared to be written). Thought they did a good job making you understand her dilemma and frustration in needing to hide. Making her and Charles adopted siblings was a great idea because it highlighted just how blind Charles was to the plight of others and the ignorance he showed other viewpoints over his own. You could tell the two had a good sibling bond and the rift that Charles' insistence that Raven blend in formed between them. I'm interested to see how that bond affects both of their actions in later films.

As for the cameo appearances, I applaud Vaughn and Singer on one thing......we don't actually know who those other mutants were because all the info we got on them was latitude and longitude coordinates. Even though they did a CGI Hugh Jackman (at least that's what I read and if that's true it looks far better than the young Jeff Bridge's of Tron: Legacy) they never stated that was Wolverine. We're all just assuming that because Jackman played the character before. But the brilliant move of not giving us their names allows Vaughn and Singer to bring in any character and any point in this new timeline. I chalk the cameo's up to simple comic book fan service and giving us a little intrigue to full forum debates and such. Of course I didn't stay for the credits so I could be completely wrong. But I hope I'm not because I would like to see a new timeline of character introductions (think they can pull off having Ororo be a part of the team before Scott or Jean) and I'd especially like to see a new actor play Wolverine should they use him in successive films (would make a great addition to the team if the second or third film takes place around the Vietnam War) because they could go with someone younger (not teenage Logan but like 25 to 30-ish) to showcase his slow aging.  

Wrap this up before I get too long winded (to late right) and just say I had a great time at this film, loved what they did with the characters and definitely think that devote X-men fans will like this film if you're willing to given the film a chance and not come in with concrete ideas of what the team must be, but remember that its the spirit and ideology they are trying to nail down.

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#161  Edited By Ebbm

This was definitely the best X-men movie by far. The Hellfire Club were a great enemy, better than the Brotherhood in the First three films. I'd like to see the sequel take place a couple decades after this one with the emergence of Cyclops, Jean, Iceman and Angel. Cyclops being Havok's son in this case. I'd also like to see Toad and Sabretooth join the Brotherhood and the remaining Hellfire Club members split away from Magneto. I really liked Emma Frost in this movie and want to see her carry on in Shaw's place. In my opinion they shouldn't take the first 4 films into consideration at all and use this as a reboot.

Rowen545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#162  Edited By Rowen545
    @Gambler said:

Skimmed a few comments and I'm shocked, SHOCKED! That people aren't more excited about this. This movie was the SH!T!!!! Michael Fassbender's Magneto is easily right up there (if not ahead) of Bale's Batman, Jackmen's Wolverine, and yes uber Iron Man fanatics, Downey's Tony Stark. All the character portrayals were brilliantly pulled off. Haters and militant movie buffs will be out in full force, but arent they always? I suggest you ignore all the comments good and bad and check this film out for yourselves. I know I wasnt disappointed and will be dropping some serious coin on this damn thing until its out in a DVD Blue Ray combo pack.

this
    Justize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Justize

It's sad when a fan cannot understand the word "adaptation."

Love7Xhanantos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Love7Xhanantos

despite being out of her time period, first class Emma is far better than Wolverine Emma, though her diamond form is quite weak in the film.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#165  Edited By DMC

Just saw it the afternoon. 
    X-Men First Class, like Thor was a solid movie but like Thor some things could have been better. And why Angel Salvadore? I had no idea who she was before this flick, not that it mattered but like G-Man said unecessary.  They would have been better off with another legit member of the Inner Circle. I would have preferred Selene but maybe 2 telepaths would have been overkill. 

Sage would have made a nice twist. in the comics she joined Shaw's group only to spy on them for Xavier. They could have changed it so that she was a CIA spy that hid her mutant identity. ^_^

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Sobe Cin

@G-Man:  

Thanks for the review. 

Went and finally watched the movie today and truly did enjoy it. Much better than Thor. And yes I saw the same inconsistances that everyone else has spoken about and complained about, but frankly it didn't bother me. I think the story stood for itself. And I am glad that it wasn't an exact replica of the original line up or that it wasn't X-Men: First Class either (the comic). But it was a movie that felt like a movie about the characters from the comics I enjoy to read. Yes at first I felt there were somethings missing and needed to be addressed, but as the story progressed I started not to care one bit. I felt that the story and what happened in the story flowed the way it should have, even when something happened that I did not expect- but I found that it propelled the story farther than had it not happen. 

My only reservation about the movie was Havok, he seemed out of place. Characters like Darwin and Angel Salvadore felt natural for the film, because they do have lack of major history compared to those like Havok or Beast. But what I really enjoyed was Banshee's presence. It felt right for him to be there. Beast was a good fit, but I wish and call it what you want, I wish they hadn't used any of the original X-Men.  

And I could truly see Professor X having students prior to Cyclops and Jean Grey, and this movie mad that seem real. I just hope in future installments they introduce Iceman and Angel, Cyclops and Jean Grey. You can keep Havok and Banshee, hey maybe even cameo in Sunfire. And play it up with Polaris or Mimic.  

But then I again I'll put my trust in Vaughn and Singer in whatever sequil comes our way, but whatever you do with Storm, update her character a bit- when she was young she was a pickpocket, and since that is "canon", allow for her to be theif like Gambit and have her break into Xavier's mansion. Also allow her to be on the run from the Shadow King or something.  

I have other ideas that could work too.
    Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
    Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got back from seeing this. I quite thoroughly enjoyed it. A fresh take on the X-franchise.

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#168  Edited By dewboy01

this is not a reboot, this is another origin, of how the team was born, and how prof. x and magneto became allies before as enemies.
    xoxoX23xoxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By xoxoX23xoxo

If we accept that Mystique's mutated DNA is capable of aging her at a decelerated rate, and we agree that the Mutant gene is a Germline Mutation (meaning that they are inherited, this case via fathers) then couldn't Beast have a sommatic mutation caused by exposure to Mystique's DNA?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#170  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Almost every post I seen was everyone beating around the bush. Just say it sucked.

newmutants45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By newmutants45

Heres my two bits, though no one asked me.  

I really wish i had read this before seeing the movie, because as a huge x-men fan, i knew it was going to be different than the comics, but if i had known just what to expect, it probably would have influenced what i thought of the movie initially. that having been said, i am dissapointed in myself that i did not enjoy the film and hopefully the next time around, i will enjoy it more. (I am very excited for a sequel though, because honestly, apart from the comics, it was entertaining.)  

Apart from the continuity errors and the fact that this was an X-MEN movie here are some complaints i have 

1) The acting and dialogue was at times both abyssmal and cheesy. I mean come on, "Mutant and Proud"?!? 

2) The plot was ridiculously simple; Sebastian Shaws motives made absolutlely no sense. Who would want to rule a world of cinder and ash? 

3) The characters could have been fleshed out waaaaaaaaaaayy more (i refer to Azazel, Riptide, and Emma)  
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#172  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I liked it, despite my many many complaints. And I'm the first to nit-pick a movie to death.

Renee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Renee
    @Edamame said:
    @Renee: I noticed her cameo.  ; )

Yay I'm not alone lol. :P
    majestic3780

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By majestic3780

The only way to see this movie is to completely throw out everything you know of the X-men.  They crapped on so much continuity between the comics and the other movies it was ridiculous (Darwin being killed... are you kidding me???)  Taking that approach, it was a very enjoyable movie.  If you normally don't know anything about the X-universe and are looking at this to be a jump off into the comics, look the other way and just pick up the books.  They broke continuity with the original X-trilogy and with Wolverine: Origins all over the place, and to say that this is a comic book movie is a misnomer.  It can't even be said to be based on the comics.  It just used characters that were recognizable to make a movie.  They should have stripped Marvel's involvement from it all together, changed the characters names, and made it an independent movie of people with powers (ala "Push").

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Ferro Vida

With that in mind, I did enjoy it. One question that was heavily on my mind was would this movie have any ties or connections to the other X-films? Maybe it was watching it so late at night but I'm not sure I can fully answer that. Discounting the whole Emma Frost/Wolverine Origins debacle, I think it's safe to say this movie could, in fact, be in the same continuity of the other movies. But then, I haven't watched/tried to avoid the others. 

I respectfully disagree. In order for this movie to fit in with the other four, we would need to ignore that there are two Emma Frosts with the ability to turn into diamond, two Moira MacTaggarts, that Xavier and Mystique don't even acknowledge each other later in life, and that Beast is around sixty years old in X-3. 

As for the Havok/Cyclops thing, Scott is the older brother, but they didn't know each other growing up. They were both orphans in different parts of the country. In fact, you can even see Cyclops when Xavier first uses Cerebro. 

A lot of people will probably argue that because Hugh Jackman made an appearance here it is linked to the other films, but I don't think that's true. Jackman is universally recognized as Wolverine, so it makes sense to have him play Logan in a cameo, otherwise no one would get the joke. But throughout the X-men movies we have had three different Kitty Prydes, so if it is possible to recast someone in the same continuity, it should also be possible carry a casting job into another continuity. 

These are just a few thoughts of mine.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#176  Edited By Gambit1024

I'm a fan of the X-Men, and I gotta say, I liked this movie a lot. The casting for Charles and Erik were spot on. There are few continuity errors, but that didn't stop me from enjoying.  

Banshee was great. 
    Beast was fine, but his furry form could've looked better 
    Havok, Darwin, Azazel, Riptide and Angel were pretty cool 
    Mystique was cute 
    Emma was.... Emma, lol. 

Overall, great movie. I'd recommend it to anyone. 

Oh yeah and  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Eyz

I knew it wouldn't be a proper "reboot" as soon as I saw the same producers from past X-men movies attached to this as well as the same group of writers.

They're probably preparing "X-men: Saga" DVD/Bluray boxsets at this moment containing X-men 1-3 + Wolverine Origins + X-men First Class. It's much more rentable for 20th Century Fox has a company to have the new movie be part of that established series.
    (if the studio had changed, like the rights being reverted to Marvel, then I would have expected an actual reboot)

xoxoX23xoxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By xoxoX23xoxo

I am not sure if some one covered this yet, however, Scott and Alex are brothers. They were separated after their parents were thought to be dead. They also have another brother... Gabriel (Vulcan). Not to mention, there are a multitude of Summer's family members throughout various story arcs.

Avatar image for iron_fist_angel
    Iron Fist Angel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Iron Fist Angel

This movie is based off my favourite comic series and heroes of all time. I simply cannot watch it and be forced to constantly remind myself that it's NOT the same as the comics. The only reason I would even be interested in a movie like this is because it's based on my beloved X-men.

From what I've heard it's apparently a very good movie but if you're going to have "X-men" in your title, you'd better be true to the almost 50 years of comic book lore or I'm not interested.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#180  Edited By Green ankh

I saw this with my 50 year old wife to be, and her 18 year old son i'm 43.  We all loved it. I hated the first X-men films a nd i really liked this one. Didnt mind the changes either.  Magneto was awsome and my two fav x-men Havok and Banshee came across well. Finally a good x-men film.
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Illuminarch

I withdraw my earlier skepticism on this movie. It was excellent, one of the best superhero films made period, and I don't even like the X-Men.

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#182  Edited By Green ankh
    @Iron Fist Angel
    Almost no filme taken from other media is the same. it is a shame you wont give this a chance. 
    HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#183  Edited By HexThis

I know people are bit peeved by the film not abiding by continuity but theoretically, it could follow the comics more closely from here on out. 

I feel like this movie is a covert reboot. It's in touch with the original trilogy but it could also lead into the inclusion of a younger Scott and Jean at the very least within the next movie seeing as how Beast is already in the mix. 3 out of 5, maybe? And the Jean, Scott, Emma triangle is possible if Jean and Scott are depicted in their 20's. I'm also desperate to see Pietro and Wanda included in on at least one movie (no, I don't count Pietro's cameo in Wolverine) because the family conflict with Magneto is simply too epic and too good to pass up. 

Personally, though I am very much into continuity, this is one the best superhero movies I'd ever seen and I loved it.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By speedlgt

I thought this was GREAT! i felt it was better than thor and thor was a very good film. 

This could be the comic movie of the summer if GL tanks like most think it will and if cap plays it safe and its just ok.
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#185  Edited By fodigg

I saw it twice so far. (Not because I liked it so much, but seeing it with two different groups of friends.) It's very good. My few quibbles were:  

1. They should have played up an Alex/Darwin friendship more while they could. Here was a guy who could survive Alex's dangerous powers. Someone Alex could relax around without worrying. That could've meant more.  
    2. I don't think they ever even mentioned Riptides name. Why not mention his name? 
    3. There was a sequence where scenes were obviously supposed to be in different order than they ended up. The result is the X-Men sit down to watch a speech and Magneto randomly has a gun in his hand for no reason. He'd had it in a scene much earlier, but not the previous scene. So he must have just felt like going to get his gun for some TV watching. 
    4. The intro scene where Kevin Bacon gets young Magneto to rage-off with his powers was kinda cheese. Bacon's giggling while it was going on was over the top and then Magneto just kind of stops. I dunno. Could've been a bit better.  
    5. I didn't like Banshee's actor even though I liked his lines and thought he looked cool when fighting. Opposite for Angel. She was a good character/actress but looked ridiculous when fighting.

I don't get the complaints about being different from the comics. What matters is entertainment value. So what if Alex is now older than Scott and possibly his father instead of his brother? Even retcons of other film canon doesn't bother me.  

Great film. I'd rate it above the first X-MEN, under X2, and miles above X3 and X-MEN WOLVERINE.
    The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By The Hottness

I loved this movie...i saw it twice in one weekend. I would have went with Magneto hahaha 

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By fesak  Moderator

@Ferro Vida said:

With that in mind, I did enjoy it. One question that was heavily on my mind was would this movie have any ties or connections to the other X-films? Maybe it was watching it so late at night but I'm not sure I can fully answer that. Discounting the whole Emma Frost/Wolverine Origins debacle, I think it's safe to say this movie could, in fact, be in the same continuity of the other movies. But then, I haven't watched/tried to avoid the others.

I respectfully disagree. In order for this movie to fit in with the other four, we would need to ignore that there are two Emma Frosts with the ability to turn into diamond, two Moira MacTaggarts, that Xavier and Mystique don't even acknowledge each other later in life, and that Beast is around sixty years old in X-3.

All of those can easily be explained. Emma has been cloned in comics, she could have been in the movies too. It could be first Moiras daughter also named Moira. Xavier might have given up on Mystique as she's apparently been with Magneto for many years, and Beast injected himself with Mystiques dna and they clearly stated in the movie that she ages twice as slow as normal.

Seriously do people who complain about these things not read comics? They should be used to way stupider things than this.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#188  Edited By SC  Moderator

Duhdaym that was an awesome movie!!!!!!!  

☆☆☆☆☆ - Magneto, pure badass, and totally captures his charisma, pain, intensity and stubbornness. Xavier, played up his fun side, whilst not making him too much of a joke. Brilliant.  
    ☆☆☆☆ - Most of the movie! Some really nice sentimental moments, fun moments, funny moments, tender moments, dramatic moments, awwh moments and awesome action moments.  
    ☆☆☆ - Effects! Better than I though, but some parts... eh...  
    ☆☆ - Stars  
    ☆ - lol people complaining about continuity. Other X-Men movies weren't really that good, why should a movie try to stay coherent with another movies broken continuity if that movie was bad? Characterization is way more important! This movie was great! I hope they make a sequel and make it as character strong as this movie. Magneto and Xavier were the focus, but they weren't overbearing like Wolverine was in the other movies. Would love to see the same people who made this movie, actually you know, give us the Cyclops, Jean, Rogue, Kitty, Colossus we deserve, also, also having Wanda and Pietro in would be so sweet especially if they get Michael Fassbender back! So happy Magneto is done so well here! 

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#189  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Gambler said:

Skimmed a few comments and I'm shocked, SHOCKED! That people aren't more excited about this. This movie was the SH!T!!!! Michael Fassbender's Magneto is easily right up there (if not ahead) of Bale's Batman, Jackmen's Wolverine, and yes uber Iron Man fanatics, Downey's Tony Stark. All the character portrayals were brilliantly pulled off. Haters and militant movie buffs will be out in full force, but arent they always? I suggest you ignore all the comments good and bad and check this film out for yourselves. I know I wasnt disappointed and will be dropping some serious coin on this damn thing until its out in a DVD Blue Ray combo pack.

How dare you suggest this was the greatest fictional story ever made! Oh wait you didn't... (just making fun of that other poster ;) 

I agree with your sentiment! Magneto was great! This movie was great, and a fairly significant part of this was because of him. Can't wait for DVD... actually I'll probably buy the soundtrack on itunes when I find out if they have Magneto's badass theme on it... then Ill walk around in public making silly hand gestures pretending I am killing Nazi's with metal things *embarrassed smiley*
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#190  Edited By fodigg
    @fesak said:

Seriously do people who complain about these things not read comics? They should be used to way stupider [retcons] than this.

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By robokungfu

I found the movie bland overall. There were a few really good scenes like Magneto's trip around the world and the CIA compound attack. But the actors aside from Fassbender, McAvoy, and Evil Bacon ranged from so so to miserable. I HATED every single x-kid they recruit and wanted Evil Bacon to waste them. The scene where they show off to each other was cringe-inducing to the max. Emma Frost definitely looked the part :D but Ms. Jones performed like cardboard. Moira was made into just some lady who's there to look worried about everything and to generally be useless. Her biggest impact on the team  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

The attempt to make the team more diverse was too obvious and ended up being insulting by having SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.  

The movie takes place in the 1960s but everyone talks and acts like it's 2011. The only thing it was missing was for everyone to say everything is "epic" and reference lady gaga. The Brian Singer films made the civil rights undertones subtle yet potent. This movie on the inverse is totally in your face and it comes off as goofy. McCoy's line "No one asked...*dramatic pause*...so I didn't tell!" and "MUTANT AND PROUD" were the silliest.  

The action scenes were ok, but the finale was frustrating since it was mostly C-List X-Men characters fighting, being useless, and everything SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content so they can foil Evil Bacon's nonsensical plan. It's a silly movie that takes itself too seriously and disappoints fans by with a bunch of C-Listers no one cares about instead of the actual first class. I tried to accept that but it still peeved me. Props to Magneto and Evil Bacon, though!
    Avatar image for iknoweverything
    IKnowEverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By IKnowEverything

I thought it was good but i still dont understand why Kevin Bacon wanted their to be nuclear war. He implied that a nuclear war would kill off the humans but not the mutants. I sat there thinking... Dude Kevin Bacon is the only mutant on screen that would possible survive a nuclear blast. him making a nuclear war take place would kill all his buddies too. and the surviving mutants would have to live in a world that was drenched and nuclear radiation. lol

robokungfu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By robokungfu
    @IKnowEverything: exactly! His plan made no sense. Prof X briefly mentions he thinks the development of nuclear arsenals has accelerated mutation. It's never mentioned again. So was Shaw going off on a huge assumption of a guy's theory to live in a world caked with skin-melting radiation, with zero vegetation, and no animals or livestock? I guess it would turn into a superpowered version of The Road. Actually that would kind of rule hard.
    HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#194  Edited By HaloKing343

I'm so pleased that this turned out to be good. I can't wait to see it.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By CATPANEXE

Its a reboom....I mean its rebuttle...rebombasquitch....GWAAAAAUGH!!!
    Omigod your right G-Man! I can't do it no matter how hard I try. ):

Ferro Vida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Ferro Vida
    @fesak said:

@Ferro Vida said:

With that in mind, I did enjoy it. One question that was heavily on my mind was would this movie have any ties or connections to the other X-films? Maybe it was watching it so late at night but I'm not sure I can fully answer that. Discounting the whole Emma Frost/Wolverine Origins debacle, I think it's safe to say this movie could, in fact, be in the same continuity of the other movies. But then, I haven't watched/tried to avoid the others.

All of those can easily be explained. Emma has been cloned in comics, she could have been in the movies too. It could be first Moiras daughter also named Moira. Xavier might have given up on Mystique as she's apparently been with Magneto for many years, and Beast injected himself with Mystiques dna and they clearly stated in the movie that she ages twice as slow as normal.

Seriously do people who complain about these things not read comics? They should be used to way stupider things than this.

I wasn't complaining. I prefer the thought that this movie is separate from the others. Quite frankly I thought First Class was much better than the previous four. And do you really think that EVERYTHING that happens in the comics should translate to the big screen? The Shi'Ar? The M'Kraan Crystal? Time travel?

I'm sure they could explain it that way. But would that mean the sisters of Emma from origins were also clones? Why would she let herself be cloned? If they were going to clone her they would need to do it really soon to explain the age discrepancy. As for the two Moiras, is it usually common practice to name your daughter after yourself? Again, she had better get busy if she wants to explain her "daughter's" age in X-3. Xavier has given up on Mystique, but he still gets together with Erik to play chess on a semi-regular basis? Beast didn't inject himself with her DNA, he extracted the part of her DNA that allowed her to change shape and made a formula from it. At least, that's what I thought he did. It's possible that this still slowed his aging, but that doesn't really explain why he is so much older than Mystique in X-3. 

Again, I loved this movie. It would be easier to just call it a separate universe from the other films, and it would also allow more creative liberties to be taken in sequels.
    Theresa9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Theresa9

What is it about X-Men movies being done in a way that is almost anti-comic? 
    I mean, with the first three films they had, in my opinion, ruined any chance of ever making a film about the "Original X-Men" made up of Scott Summers, Bobby Drake, Warren Worthington, Hank McCoy and Jean Grey and now we have a prequel film and only Hank McCoy appears to be an original X-Man. 
    Also Charles HAS HAIR. What is that about? I know James McAvoy is young but surely his hair would have grown back pretty quickly.
    Are Scott and Alex brothers? Where is Lorna? What is Angel's purpose, considering she was born in the 80's or 90's? Mystique, an X-Man? So many questions and they will probably never be answered.
    All that being said I will still be making the customary trip to the cinema to see the film myself. If only I wasn't so obsessed...
    But anyway, after that lovely little rant, the review is great and it did, in all honesty, make me more comfortable about going to the see the film at all. So thank-you...

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By Constantine

I enjoyed, but I thought essentially it was a reboot seeming as the crew said theyt wanted to do a sequel and start a new x-franchise!

hellogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By hellogan

I've been an avid X-men reader for a lot of years(although, as of late... my interest has deminished),. I watched this movie knowing full well that most of it would not stay true to the comics. Looking to enjoy it dispite this. However, I have a problem with this film for a number of different reasons. The main one I imagine is the continueing emphasis on the fact that mutants and humans can not intermingle well in society. I think we all know this by now. And maybe, just maybe rather than reminding us threw out the movie. A quick reference would be good and then just get back to some more action or substance. Hell, maybe even some character developement. We all know teenagers have a hard time felling like they fit in anyway, right?  
       Another problem I have is why go way out in left field or the bullpen for casting characters? Other than the sudio's felt that since the other original members have already been used... For most readers we all know the first class was made up of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, The Beast, Angel, and Iceman... with Professor X in the lead. I can understand maybe throwing Banchee and Havok in there. But, if your going to make a movie about the first class... don't you think it should have a little continuity? If you got a problem with the characters just make a different kind of X-movie and throw in the ones that you want. I'm sure also that most people that don't know anything about the Hellfire Club were really confused on who the hell Azazel or Riptide even where concidering they barely took a breathe in the whole movie. I could go on, but i think i would start getting more an more frustrated with the fact that this movie didn't overturn my expections of it or my underexpections of it. 
       Hate to say it but it looks like DC is going to win the movie war this summer...
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#200  Edited By Mercy_

@Illuminarch said:

I think it's safe to say this movie could, in fact, be in the same continuity of the other movies.

Please explain. Were we supposed to think that Beast and Mystique were in their early to mid 60s in previous movies?

The commercials clearly suggested a tie between this movie and the previous three films (though not Wolverine Origins, which has the problematic Emma Frost appearance), but I don't see how the chronology can be reconciled.

@CrimsonAvenger said:

Since it has Beast in it, it's a reboot as we saw him in X-3 and that would mean he would be over 60 years old in that movie if this were in the same continuity.

Beast says in the movie that Mystique's cells age at half the normal rate of humans. So that she'd be in her mid-forties and still look like a teenager. Due to the "cure" that he manufactured that was made from her DNA, it's an apt possibility that they play it off that that's why he appeared that young in the X-Men movies. They set up a nice little loophole to utilize if they choose to do so.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.