Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-Men: 20th Anniversary Edition #1 Available On October 5, 2011

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jhazzroucher

Why is X-Men #1 the most important comic of all time? It is the best-selling comic in comics history, selling more than 8 million copies, and the second best-selling comics only came around 4 million.

The release X-men # 1 in late 1991 was also the time when X-Men has started to become more and more popular until the team became the biggest team in comics history, breaking records like the team having the most number of video games, having the most number of comic issues, etc.

Celebrating its 20th anniversary, comes a new edition of X-Men # 1 coming out this October 5, 2011, in modern style.

Let's take a look on the difference:

Click the image to enlarge the image

images taken from: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9746

The original cover art:

No Caption Provided

The new cover art

No Caption Provided

Anyway, here'r more:

The X-men on their 90's costume
    The X-men on their 90's costume
    Jean Grey and Professor X
    Jean Grey and Professor X
    Rogue is so awesome
    Rogue is so awesome
    Archangel's costume looks really cool
    Archangel's costume looks really cool
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By papad1992

Awesome... I loved this run and this team... Is it a coincidence that this is coming out during and before parts of Regenesis which is basically the blue and gold teams again only splintered..... Maybe it's to give some insight and history of the old blue and gold teams and how their dynamic and relationship was between both!!

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jubilee042

@jhazzroucher: r u sure that it sold 8 million copies because if so OMG!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING who was the second

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jhazzroucher

@jubilee042 said:

@jhazzroucher: r u sure that it sold 8 million copies because if so OMG!!!!!!!!!!AMAZING who was the second

well, i cannot really say if my sources are right but i've seen some stating it has sold more than 10 million copies too. i've also seen one site stating it sold 7 million copies. but i think 8 million is the nearest to the truth. Alright, I'm gonna research more on this for you. : )

I think the 2nd best-seller was the death of superman comics in 1993

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Kind of funny to me that probably the most circulated comic in history is getting re-printed again.

2nd best is X-Force #1

No Caption Provided
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheCrowbar

I'm buying this.

Just saying it right now.

I only read the original in a library, I'm buying two, one to keep for now and another to read for when I ruin the second one.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Shatterstar said:

No Caption Provided

Kind of funny to me that probably the most circulated comic in history is getting re-printed again.

2nd best is X-Force #1

yeah. just checked it. It looks like X-force is the second best-selling comics selling more than 5 million copies

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8  Edited By AgeofHurricane

I love this.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jhazzroucher

when it gets here, i'll definitely buy two

Avatar image for red_lightning_alpha
    Red_Lightning_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

x-men at their best

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jhazzroucher

who thinks this will be #1 in sales for october?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jhazzroucher

more images

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was this definitely out on the 5th?

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Was this definitely out on the 5th?

It's been delayed, not sure if it's everywhere but marvel is running late, its shipping on the 19th for me

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jhazzroucher

who has this already?

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Powerzone789

how much is this worth actually....because i have it

Gravitywheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Gravitywheel

@Powerzone789 said:

how much is this worth actually....because i have it

I just paid $3.50 for it, plus a couple bucks shipping.

Unless you mean the originals, in which case...nothing. :P

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

@jhazzroucher said:

@Shatterstar said:

No Caption Provided

2nd best is X-Force #1

yeah. just checked it. It looks like X-force is the second best-selling comics selling more than 5 million copies

X-Force #1 broke all sales records of all time. However, that title was short-lived as X-Men #1 was released a couple of months later. HOWEVER...

@jhazzroucher said:

Why is X-Men #1 the most important comic of all time? It is the best-selling comic in comics history, selling more than 8 million copies, and the second best-selling comics only came around 4 million.

It isn't the most important comic of all time. That would be Action Comics #1 for the introduction of a superhero in multicolours to the general public. X-Men #1 was just popular. Not ground breaking; simply popular.

It didn't even sell that well! It was released at a time when "Variant" covers were still relatively unusual, and therefore took advantage of 4 different covers that combined to make one long image... and one gatefolded cover that consisted of all 4 of the other covers (featuring the X-Men attacking Magneto). Most comic book shops have been selling off ALL the various variants in bargain bins for the best part of the last 2 decades.

"Sales" of comics aren't based on the amount of issues that shops sell. It is actually the amount of issues that stores order from Diamond Distribution. Therefore it wasn't the best selling comic... it was the most ordered by stores. Who were then stuck with copious amounts of issues that they couldn't sell.

Considering that the original version of this issue is so easy to get ahold of (and for such a cheap price), it's laughable that Marvel were so desperate to celebrate & re-release this with a lengthy recolouring process. I'm happy enough with the original... Some fancy digital colouring isn't enough to separate this geek from her money.

Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Hunter114

@xerox_kitty said:

@jhazzroucher said:

It isn't the most important comic of all time. That would be Action Comics #1 for the introduction of a superhero in multicolours to the general public. X-Men #1 was just popular. Not ground breaking; simply popular.

This

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By GC8
    @jhazzroucher said:

The release X-men # 1 in late 1991 was also the time when X-Men has started to become more and more popular until the team became the biggest team in comics history... 

In addition to what xerox_kitty said about it not being the most important comic of all time your reasoning is also wrong.
    The X-Men had already become Marvel's best selling title by the mid-1980s, and although exact figures are hard to come by, by many accounts X-Men (later renamed Uncanny X-Men) was already one of, if not the single best selling monthly super team comic of the entire 80s. It spawned numerous spin-offs, clones, sequel titles (including this one) and spoofs (the most famous being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - an X-Men parody in 1984 that took on a life of it's own).

In many ways, the X-Men series that began in 1991 signaled the END of the greatness that was the X-Men, beginning a decade long downward slide in quality across all the 'X' books.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cattlebattle
    @etragedy said:
    @jhazzroucher said:

The release X-men # 1 in late 1991 was also the time when X-Men has started to become more and more popular until the team became the biggest team in comics history... 

In addition to what xerox_kitty said about it not being the most important comic of all time your reasoning is also wrong.
    The X-Men had already become Marvel's best selling title by the mid-1980s, and although exact figures are hard to come by, by many accounts X-Men (later renamed Uncanny X-Men) was already one of, if not the single best selling monthly super team comic of the entire 80s. It spawned numerous spin-offs, clones, sequel titles (including this one) and spoofs (the most famous being Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - an X-Men parody in 1984 that took on a life of it's own).

In many ways, the X-Men series that began in 1991 signaled the END of the greatness that was the X-Men, beginning a decade long downward slide in quality across all the 'X' books.

The New Mutants book actually outsold the Uncanny X-Men in the 80's 

TMNT was actually based of of Teen Titans, New Mutants, Daredevil and books with anthro-morphic animals that were doing well like Usagi Yojimbo..all titles were very popular in the 80's 

I see its make up facts day :) 

Also The X-Mens popularity exploded more than ever after their cartoon came out...a cartoon which had characters based on Jim Lees character designs, Jim Lee did not join the book until 90 so...that comment could go either way.....I do agree with the book on a downward slide after that, I guess you can attribute that to Claremont leaving
    GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By GC8
    @cattlebattle said:

@etragedy said:

@jhazzroucher said:

The New Mutants book actually outsold the Uncanny X-Men in the 80's   TMNT was actually based of of Teen Titans, New Mutants, Daredevil and books with anthro-morphic animals that were doing well like Usagi Yojimbo..all titles were very popular in the 80's  I see its make up facts day :)  

I'm not making up anything. Perhaps New Mutants sold better than the X-Men, once it was launched, I don't know I don't have the sales figures, but does it really matter? It was part of the X-men family of books, the first long running spin-off with a lot of crossover, and was spun off precisely because of the success of the X-Men. TMNT was directly inspired by the X-Men - people forget now because the X-Men has changed so much, but back then the X-Men were supposed to be teenage mutants and two of them were ninjas  - Kevin Eastman has said repeatedly that the first ever ninja turtle sketch was deliberately done in "an X-Men Pose" There's also an early sketch of one of the turtles fighting Wolverine done by Peter Laird floating around. 
    No Caption Provided
    Mainly Eastman and Laird were inspired by what was going on in comics at the time, Frank Miller's work in, yes, Daredevil but also the Wolverine mini series both of which featured a lot of ninjas (The Hand). Over the years since then, Eastman and Laird have cited tons of other influences including Cerebus, The Teen Titans - even the A-Team, but the X-Men is one they mentioned in interviews early and often.
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cattlebattle
    @etragedy said:

@cattlebattle said:

@etragedy said:

@jhazzroucher said:

I'm not making up anything. Perhaps New Mutants sold better than the X-Men, once it was launched, I don't know I don't have the sales figures, but does it really matter? It was part of the X-men family of books, the first long running spin-off with a lot of crossover, and was spun off precisely because of the success of the X-Men. TMNT was directly inspired by the X-Men - people forget now because the X-Men has changed so much, but back then the X-Men were supposed to be teenage mutants and two of them were ninjas  - Kevin Eastman has said repeatedly that the first ever ninja turtle sketch was deliberately done in "an X-Men Pose" There's also an early sketch of one of the turtles fighting Wolverine done by Peter Laird floating around. 
    No Caption Provided
    Mainly Eastman and Laird were inspired by what was going on in comics at the time, Frank Miller's work in, yes, Daredevil but also the Wolverine mini series both of which featured a lot of ninjas (The Hand). Over the years since then, Eastman and Laird have cited tons of other influences including Cerebus, The Teen Titans - even the A-Team, but the X-Men is one they mentioned in interviews early and often.
    I'm sure and I'm not disagreeing with the fact that TMNT creators used the X-Men as an influence...but you made it sound like not only were the X-Men at the height of their popularity in the mid 80's but you also made it sound like TMNT was directly spun off of them, both are untrue, the X-Men were at the height of their popularity (outside comic fans) around the time there cartoon was about...you could buy X-Men lunchboxes..everything--this happened in the nineties...with TMNT, as I said, I'm sure X-Men were one of many influences, however the comics using anthromorphic animals along with Daredevil (Matt Murdock is supposed to be the kid that drops there fish bowl and they are mutated by the same waste that blinds him) are more famously well known and credited, in fact the reason they were teenagers came from the popular superhero teen comics like Teen Titans and New Mutants...I'm saying its a plethora of influences...they weren't specifically spun off the X-Men alone
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xerox_kitty

@etragedy said:

@jhazzroucher said:

Sorry, but the popularity of the X-Men over other franchises (and differing 'mutants') isn't what was being discussed.

X-Men #1 is the biggest selling issue of an American comic book of all time. That it outsold all previous issues & no other singular issue has outsold it since (apparently).

However, as this thread was created 3 months ago at a time when the first of the "DCnU" 52 titles were being released, then there is the possibility that Batman #1 may have surpassed that. I haven't seen any figures or press releases about it though, and I'm pretty sure that would be something that DC would love to shout about from the rooftops.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jhazzroucher

I know the issue didn't really have the best story but because if it's existence, it broke records. So the issue should still be considered as the most important but with a different reason. I'm not sure though if the record can be found in the Guinnes book

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xerox_kitty

@jhazzroucher said:

I know the issue didn't really have the best story but because if it's existence, it broke records. So the issue should still be considered as the most important but with a different reason. I'm not sure though if the record can be found in the Guinnes book

As I have already pointed out, it isn't the most important issue. It is self-promoting propaganda.

There is no reason on Earth why the Guinness Book of World Records would list a false indication of comic book sales. As I said before, comic book sales are not based on actual sales... it is the pre-orders that stores purchase from Diamond Distribution. It has nothing to do with the amount of new comic books that people actually buy.

Face facts & accept reality.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By papad1992

@jhazzroucher said:

I get what u were trying to say... u were expressing ur love for this issue!!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jhazzroucher

@xerox_kitty said:

@jhazzroucher said:

As I have already pointed out, it isn't the most important issue. It is self-promoting propaganda.

There is no reason on Earth why the Guinness Book of World Records would list a false indication of comic book sales. As I said before, comic book sales are not based on actual sales... it is the pre-orders that stores purchase from Diamond Distribution. It has nothing to do with the amount of new comic books that people actually buy.

Ok. I didn't know the bold ones. Sorry.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By cattlebattle
    @xerox_kitty said:

@jhazzroucher said:

I don't know whats with the verbal bludgeoning of this book, It is not a stand out X-Men story or anything unless you love the Acolytes, but, It is the well known cover associated with the time the X-men and comics broke the industry...so it is recognizable and sentimental to X-Men fans  

It is actually in the Guiness Book of World Records, they ordered 8million copies and have sold close to 7 million, although this is through loop holes..so factually, it is the top selling comic book of all time

I'm not sure if I'd buy it though, price is steep
    Gravitywheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gravitywheel

Well, it actually was sort of ground breaking, in that it used a wonderful piece of art to kickstart an ugly, annoying trend. Gimmicky covers were all the rage for the next few years. Okay, some of them were cool, but go back and read a Wizard magazine from that era and look at how much they talk about that nonsense. "Next Month! Turok #0 with triple gatefold chromium cover by Jim Lee!!!!!" what's the story? Eh, who cares? There really isn't one. Nobody's reading these anyway.

Those variant covers really did sell like hotcakes, and I was so dumb at that age (I was 10) that I even bought an extra of the Cyke/Wolvie one to read, so I could keep the other five in "mint condition." UGH.

Gravitywheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gravitywheel

I wish they were reprinting #2-3 alongside this, because at least we'd have the full story. It's not a bad story in its entirety, but #1 really doesn't have a lot going for it except the cool art. The end of the issue with Moira in tears seems like it's going to be some sort of huge cliffhanger, but it really amounts to nothing and they barely even address it.

Also, guys, I have two questions:

1. Is there simply one version of this edition? I'm not sure if there is some sort of super-mega-deluxe version that I'm missing? I ordered mine, and it was $3.99, so I'm assuming it's just going to be the reprint with no frills or anything. If there's some special one that costs more, I'm a big enough sucker that I'll buy it, so please do inform me.

2. This image has been used (as a placeholder, I guess) for this issue by Amazon and a few other sites: It's obviously from way later than 1991. I rather like it. Where is it from and who drew it?

Thanks.

No Caption Provided
    jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Gravitywheel said:

Well, it actually was sort of ground breaking, in that it used a wonderful piece of art to kickstart an ugly, annoying trend. Gimmicky covers were all the rage for the next few years. Okay, some of them were cool, but go back and read a Wizard magazine from that era and look at how much they talk about that nonsense. "Next Month! Turok #0 with triple gatefold chromium cover by Jim Lee!!!!!" what's the story? Eh, who cares? There really isn't one. Nobody's reading these anyway.

Those variant covers really did sell like hotcakes, and I was so dumb at that age (I was 10) that I even bought an extra of the Cyke/Wolvie one to read, so I could keep the other five in "mint condition." UGH.

wow! you bought 6 copies of it? awesome! : )

blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By blur99

@Gravitywheel said:

I wish they were reprinting #2-3 alongside this, because at least we'd have the full story. It's not a bad story in its entirety, but #1 really doesn't have a lot going for it except the cool art. The end of the issue with Moira in tears seems like it's going to be some sort of huge cliffhanger, but it really amounts to nothing and they barely even address it.

Also, guys, I have two questions:

1. Is there simply one version of this edition? I'm not sure if there is some sort of super-mega-deluxe version that I'm missing? I ordered mine, and it was $3.99, so I'm assuming it's just going to be the reprint with no frills or anything. If there's some special one that costs more, I'm a big enough sucker that I'll buy it, so please do inform me.

2. This image has been used (as a placeholder, I guess) for this issue by Amazon and a few other sites: It's obviously from way later than 1991. I rather like it. Where is it from and who drew it?

Thanks.

No Caption Provided

Have you tried checking the Marvel site. Usually they show there books and provide info about them.

Gravitywheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gravitywheel

Like I said, I found that image being used as the cover for X-Men vol. 2 #1 20th Anniversary edition, which it is not.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By jhazzroucher
    Gravitywheel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gravitywheel

I see - thanks! And wow...I knew that composition looked familiar. I can't believe I didn't see it before!

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Gravitywheel said:

I see - thanks! And wow...I knew that composition looked familiar. I can't believe I didn't see it before!

You're welcome. : )

One_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By One_Eye

Nineties goodness indeed.:)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.