Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

X-ladies can't carry a solo series. Why

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Can't I ask where does this opinion come from, that the X-ladies can't carry a solo series. A lot of fans think this way, why exactly.

Dazzler has had a solo series that last 40 issues.

Emma Frost and Mystique have had a solo series.

X-23 and Rogue have 3 separate solo titles. Rogue had 4 if you count X-Men Legacy

Storm, Magik and Psylocke have all had mini series.

So why do fans think this way.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

And all of those were cancelled

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No X-Men character, regardless of gender can carry a solo series, except Wolverine and Cable apparently.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not everyone needs to have a solo

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Pretty much what @cattlebattle said. It's not just women, most X-men can't carry a solo series except for Wolverine seemingly. People are even having doubts about Nightcrawler's solo series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

With Psylocke you could do so much. Make her fight normal x-villains. Do a mutant prosecution story. Do a japanese ninja story. Get into the Captain Brittain world MarvelUK. Do an Otherworld story. Xplore her connection to weapon X or the Hellfire club or Merlyn and Roma or Mad James Jaspers and the Fury.

If anyone from Marvel is reading this, take Remender off Captain America and have him do this.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By time1

And all of those were cancelled

What titles don't get cancel or replace. That' s nothing new. If Marvel gave the X-ladies a chance, gave them a good writer and a good artists, then it would be sucess. Just look at Hawkeye, still can't believe he got a solo series.

No X-Men character, regardless of gender can carry a solo series, except Wolverine and Cable apparently.

It comes down to effort and investment. If Marvel invested in X-Men characters, then there be more solo titles.

I think they could.

Storm has allot of fans and has that strong character that I love.

With Psylocke you could do so much. Make her fight normal x-villains. Do a mutant prosecution story. Do a japanese ninja story. Get into the Captain Brittain world MarvelUK. Do an Otherworld story. Xplore her connection to weapon X or the Hellfire club or Merlyn and Roma or Mad James Jaspers and the Fury.

Your right a Storm series and Psylocke series would work.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Theres already a thread discussing this but I will say it again. The Xmen is about a team concept. There should be no solos!!! Its about the team and the focus on different characters should be fleshed out within the team book not in a solo

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Because no X-men aside from Wolverine and Deadpool can carry an ongoing solo series. Of course the possibility always exists that a new female character who is introduced can carry it.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By time1

@papinacho said:

Because no X-men aside from Wolverine and Deadpool can carry an ongoing solo series. Of course the possibility always exists that a new female character who is introduced can carry it.

So there is a possibility, if Marvel made the effort. A new X-Men character doesn't have to be introduce, they already got good X-ladies.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:
    @cattlebattle said:

It comes down to effort and investment. If Marvel invested in X-Men characters, then there be more solo titles.

They have given effort and investment to plenty of characters. A good 85% of all X-Men characters have had either a mini or solo, and it either wasn't very well received or din't sell very well. Mini series are usually try outs to see if people would buy a solo book.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@time: They made the effort with Legacy, Gambit, Nightcrawler and Emma Frost and too my knowledge they all failed.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By time1

@cattlebattle said:

@time said:
    @cattlebattle said:

They have given effort and investment to plenty of characters. A good 85% of all X-Men characters have had either a mini or solo, and it either wasn't very well received or din't sell very well. Mini series are usually try outs to see if people would buy a solo book.

Did they all have good writers. Marvel don't make the effort cause, they don't want to. There to busy focusing on the Avengers. Look a Hawkeye in my opinion he is a lame character, a rip-off of Green Arrow. Marvel give him a solo series with good writer and good artists. He ends up having a good series. I heard nothing but positive views about his series. Some people were saying it was the best series of 2013. Is Hawkeye more popular than the X-Men characters. Is he more popular than Iceman, Storm or Psylocke ? Hell no.

It all comes down to effort.

@westfriesianman said:

I think they could.

Storm has allot of fans and has that strong character that I love.

This Psylocke solo series would work.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

Pretty much what @cattlebattle said. It's not just women, most X-men can't carry a solo series except for Wolverine seemingly. People are even having doubts about Nightcrawler's solo series.

I'm not suprised people having doubts about Kurt solo series. Is he most interesting X-Men ? No I would rather have a Storm, or Psylocke or Magik or Emma Frost or even Iceman solo series.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@cattlebattle said:

@time said:
    @cattlebattle said:

Did they all have good writers. Marvel don't make the effort cause, cause they don't want to. There to busy focusing on the Avengers. Look a Hawkeye in my opinion he is a lame character, a rip-off of Green Arrow. Marvel give him a solo series with good writer and good artists. He ends up having a good series. I heard nothing but positive views about his series. Some people were saying it was the best series of 2013. Is Hawkeye more popular than the X-Men characters. Is he more popular than Iceman, Storm or Psylocke ? Hell no.

Whether a writer is good or not is your opinion. It also has probably a lot to do with pure excess of X-Men titles, there is always like 8 or so, so people probably just skip them altogether. Anyways, Brian K Vaughaun wrote the Cyclops mini. Most people consider him a good writer. Asmus is considered a good writer and I know Clay Mann is a fan favorite.....that didn't stop Gambits latest outing from getting cancelled.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@cattlebattle said:

@time said:
    @cattlebattle said:

Did they all have good writers. Marvel don't make the effort cause, cause they don't want to. There to busy focusing on the Avengers. Look a Hawkeye in my opinion he is a lame character, a rip-off of Green Arrow. Marvel give him a solo series with good writer and good artists. He ends up having a good series. I heard nothing but positive views about his series. Some people were saying it was the best series of 2013. Is Hawkeye more popular than the X-Men characters. Is he more popular than Iceman, Storm or Psylocke ? Hell no.

Whether a writer is good or not is your opinion. It also has probably a lot to do with pure excess of X-Men titles, there is always like 8 or so, so people probably just skip them altogether. Anyways, Brian K Vaughaun wrote the Cyclops mini. Most people consider him a good writer. Asmus is considered a good writer and I know Clay Mann is a fan favorite.....that didn't stop Gambits latest outing from getting cancelled.

Your right about the Gambit series, it did suck. I think got more to do with direction they take X-Men characters in. Why has X-23 had more solo titles than Psylocke, she not a better character. Why would people be interested in a guy who has no powers and is archer. Instead of a character who can control the weather or a bitchy telepath like Emma Frost, who can control your mind.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cattlebattle

@time said:

Your right about the Gambit series, it did suck. I think got more to do with direction they take X-Men characters in. Why has X-23 had more solo titles than Psylocke, she not a better character. Why would people be interested in a guy who has no powers and is archer. Instead of a character who can control the weather or a bitchy telepath like Emma Frost, who can control your mind.

X-23 is like Wolverine, so naturally, she has already has that going for her. The fact that Hawkeye has no powers mmakes him interesting, one of the main reasons a certain character that dresses like a bat has captured so many peoples imaginations.

Storm and Emma have both already had minis, and they probably didn't sell to well. Marvel is a business, whether you believe it or not, they are not just there to cater to X-fans, they will focus on whatever is popular among the fan demographics.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By time1

@time said:

X-23 is like Wolverine, so naturally, she has already has that going for her. The fact that Hawkeye has no powers mmakes him interesting, one of the main reasons a certain character that dresses like a bat has captured so many peoples imaginations.

Storm and Emma have both already had minis, and they probably didn't sell to well. Marvel is a business, whether you believe it or not, they are not just there to cater to X-fans, they will focus on whatever is popular among the fan demographics.

It's not like X-Men characters wouldn't make them money. I think Marvel are stupid, compared to DC. DC have a lot respect for there characters. I mean if J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman work on X-Men solo series it will sell. If Gail Simone work on X-Ladies series it would sell.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darn i now want a psylocke solo, that would be awesome

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably sound like a broken record, but I really think if Dani Moonstar had a solo title and Wolfsbane stood in as her Bucky and they stood at arm's length from the X-titles, they could have some awesome adventures is Asgard, around the world, in and out of other dimensions and in outer space.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HAWK2916

@westfriesianman: @thunderscream: If you took those ideas you just mentioned and put them in a book with a team of say: Cannonball, Psylocke, Dani Moonstar, Magma, Siryn, Warpath, Wolfsbane and maybe Kitty or Boom-Boom or Chamber and/or Husk. And had them on adventures with the Otherworlders and Asgardians or even going against the Hellfire club and Weapon X or Japanese ninjas, that would be an awesome book.

Instead of solos and adding to the 8-10 x-books in constant rotation. It would seem to be far better to reduce the number of books focus on good writers and artist and concepts, and produce good books more often. Why cant we get good books released twice a month instead of flooding the market with all these solos and minis and poorly written books. If it was 4 good books released twice a month, how would marvel lose money versus having 8 books released monthly?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

@cattlebattle said:

@time said:

@cattlebattle said:

@time said:
    @cattlebattle said:

I have no idea what you're talking about....the Gambit series was awesome from start to finish

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HAWK2916

@westfriesianman: @thunderscream: If you took those ideas you just mentioned and put them in a book with a team of say: Cannonball, Psylocke, Dani Moonstar, Magma, Siryn, Warpath, Wolfsbane and maybe Kitty or Boom-Boom or Chamber and/or Husk. And had them on adventures with the Otherworlders and Asgardians or even going against the Hellfire club and Weapon X or Japanese ninjas, that would be an awesome book.

Instead of solos and adding to the 8-10 x-books in constant rotation. It would seem to be far better to reduce the number of books focus on good writers and artist and concepts, and produce good books more often. Why cant we get good books released twice a month instead of flooding the market with all these solos and minis and poorly written books. If it was 4 good books released twice a month, how would marvel lose money versus having 8 books released monthly?

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

@time: The problem with the X-Men, male or female, is that they're so intrinsically tied to being X-Men that I think the fan base has a hard time seeing them separated out from the team. I think the reason Dazzler managed to stay in publication for as long as she did, is because she sidestepped that problem by only being introduced in the X-Men. She didn't become a member of the team until her series ended.

To give a solo X-Man book a fighting chance, i think you'd have to take whichever character and treat them like they're brand new. The first story arc would need to be about that character, and that character only, to establish their adventures as separate to their time with the team. The book would need to exist in a new setting, which would allow for the creation of a supporting cast unique to that character. This is exactly what was done when Wolverine received his first solo title. His solo adventures, for better or worse, took place in faraway Madripoor, which helped to isolate him from the X-Men.

The character is also going to have to have their own individual rogues' gallery. They can't just crib from the existing X-Man adversaries. I wouldn't have any X-Men guest stars in that first year. I'd actually try to keep references to the X-Men to a minimum. When an X-Man does, inevitably, show up, it might be interesting to play it as purely a character building moment, instead of a team-up for a brawl.

Any character, X-Man or not, could succeed in a solo series. All you need is the right creative team, and the support of the publisher. If you want readers, open big. Find an "A" list writer or an "A" list artist to attract their pre-existing fan base. If you can get both, so much the better. Try to keep them on the title for a couple of years, to give the series time to build an audience. Market it. Hard. If it starts to falter, there are a number of tried and true methods that can be employed to boost sales. Unfortunately, these days, Marvel,and especially DC, are more inclined to just cut their losses and cancel a book, rather than invest a little effort in trying to save it.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

Yup.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say only Psylocke would have a chance of being any good, but still probably still guaranteed to be cancelled.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I probably sound like a broken record, but I really think if Dani Moonstar had a solo title and Wolfsbane stood in as her Bucky and they stood at arm's length from the X-titles, they could have some awesome adventures is Asgard, around the world, in and out of other dimensions and in outer space.

I think that sounds really cool.

Does it sound cooler than Moonstar having her own team again, but at arm's length from the X-titles, and with Wolfsbane on the team?

I dunno. I'd give either a chance, but a lot of the reason I like X-men (or most marvel) books is because of their great ensemble casts, so I'd probably be more interested in the later if I had the choice.

XManfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldnt minda rogue solo.

Bubba_Hyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chalkshark: you nailed it. If they're going to do a solo, they need to either go big, or go home. Get an A list team together, market the hell out of it and stand behind it. Keep the team on it for more than a year. I think they've been too timid in the past.

Also, I think we're overwhelmed with X-Books right now and we have the same characters appearing in multiple books while other, great characters, are left to rot in character limbo.

@thunderscream: I know we're supposed to be on the subject of solos, but I think @time will forgive us this once. I too would love to see a team of X-Men characters not directly tied to X-Men business or the X-Men story lines and if it had Dani and Rahne in it, that would be perfect. They made an attempt at this with CaXF...so sorry that's being cancelled, its great....except now that they're teaming up with Uncanny X-Force.

Emma, Rogue, Psylocke or Storm are the only ones, in my opinion, that have a realistic shot at pulling it off. Although I'd love to see someone like Dani get a shot at greatness.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's because most people don't care about "X-Man" rather than the "X-Men"

skypilotbinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody can have a long term solo anymore because Marvel doesn't have patience to let books gain an audience anymore. Just ask Ghost Rider, Dr Strange, Ms Marvel, and She Hulk. Unless they are Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Wolverine or Daredevil, they are lucky if they have a solo that lasts 2 years.
    The reason why Cable and Wolverine had successful solos, I think, is due to them having large parts of their past left unexplained. You couldn't make an intriguing solo about many of the other X-Men because most people already know their story. Wolverine also benefits from having a large rogue gallery of his own.

I'm not saying a solo for any of the X-Men couldn't easily be done. It's just that it would take patience from Marvel to see those titles go on long enough to gain an audience.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Chauvinistic mastheads of Marvel are afraid of powerful women dominating their sales charts (or 'minority groups' period). Hence why The Big 5 or w.e they're calling themselves these days consist solely of one-note archetypical men and the entire universe for some reason must revolve around their oh-so-terribly boring lives. It's a tired and tested trope. But Marvel's not gonna budge.

It's a lot more convenient for them to say "yeah, we gave so and so a shot a title in 4567 BC and tested the waters for the prospective but the sales weren't good enough for us to consider an actual solo" while picking and choosing every now and then to those who they'd classify as obscure as well as those who partook in Marvel's latest money-making bonanza *cough*BlackWidow*cough*, then to actually go out of their ways to logically maximize business prospects by appealing to larger audiences in exploring the lives of other well known and beloved characters such as Storm, Rogue and others.

Let's also not forget how most of the female X-Men have been characterized as painfully subservient wenches to either Cyclops or Wolverine over the years since the franchise has become about them.

As @chalkshark stated above, it's all about passionate investment and the want, or, in some cases, need, to go places and beyond with the character. Despite the fact that i'm very much anticipating the launch of All New Ms Marvel starring Kamala Khan, they're going to have to do a lot more than this.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ageofhurricane: This is true too. There's more catering to the gay community than to minority groups. Amazing how Black Widow and Captain Marvel get solos but Storm or Dani Moonstar can't. And women in general at marvel are constantly treated wrong as you mentioned. The only strong position for them seems to be on their backs as the current bedmates of one the so-called guys in charge. Take the Illuminati. Though some are ok with Beast being there imo Storm or Emma would be 1000 times better in his position. And what about Brand or Captain Marvel? Absolutely mind-blowing!!!

Nerd Of A Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 2

Easy... because we men FEAR the powers of women, so we don't read there books to compare with us lol.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

@time: The problem with the X-Men, male or female, is that they're so intrinsically tied to being X-Men that I think the fan base has a hard time seeing them separated out from the team. I think the reason Dazzler managed to stay in publication for as long as she did, is because she sidestepped that problem by only being introduced in the X-Men. She didn't become a member of the team until her series ended.

To give a solo X-Man book a fighting chance, i think you'd have to take whichever character and treat them like they're brand new. The first story arc would need to be about that character, and that character only, to establish their adventures as separate to their time with the team. The book would need to exist in a new setting, which would allow for the creation of a supporting cast unique to that character. This is exactly what was done when Wolverine received his first solo title. His solo adventures, for better or worse, took place in faraway Madripoor, which helped to isolate him from the X-Men.

The character is also going to have to have their own individual rogues' gallery. They can't just crib from the existing X-Man adversaries. I wouldn't have any X-Men guest stars in that first year. I'd actually try to keep references to the X-Men to a minimum. When an X-Man does, inevitably, show up, it might be interesting to play it as purely a character building moment, instead of a team-up for a brawl.

Any character, X-Man or not, could succeed in a solo series. All you need is the right creative team, and the support of the publisher. If you want readers, open big. Find an "A" list writer or an "A" list artist to attract their pre-existing fan base. If you can get both, so much the better. Try to keep them on the title for a couple of years, to give the series time to build an audience. Market it. Hard. If it starts to falter, there are a number of tried and true methods that can be employed to boost sales. Unfortunately, these days, Marvel,and especially DC, are more inclined to just cut their losses and cancel a book, rather than invest a little effort in trying to save it.

I definitely agree with all this! I think if any X-Men character would have a solo series, they would need to have it set up where that character is separated from the X-Men and not because they had a falling out with the X-Men, but because it's one of the few ways to make that character really stand out from the rest of the characters.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.