Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

who's the worst writer for the x men ever in your opinion?

drdanny10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By drdanny10293

worst x men writer in your opinion for me is chuck asten on uncanny x men he SUCKED.   
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    For me, it'll always be Chris Claremont, upon returning to the X-Titles post-90's. His comeback began by revealing Wolverine's secret marriage to Viper and giving Sabretooth adamantium (only to have it taken away like a day later). Soon, we saw the incredibly-terrible Neo become the threat-du-jour. I need say no more; ever since CC came back to the books he originally helped put on the map, he's only dented his own legacy. Forcing his favorite characters down our throats, dated storytelling, and some of the most blatant retconning in comic book history.

Thanks, Chris.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By pixelized

Matthew Fraction of course.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RaptorFratBoy said:

"

CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    For me, it'll always be Chris Claremont, upon returning to the X-Titles post-90's. His comeback began by revealing Wolverine's secret marriage to Viper and giving Sabretooth adamantium (only to have it taken away like a day later). Soon, we saw the incredibly-terrible Neo become the threat-du-jour. I need say no more; ever since CC came back to the books he originally helped put on the map, he's only dented his own legacy. Forcing his favorite characters down our throats, dated storytelling, and some of the most blatant retconning in comic book history.  Thanks, Chris. "
    in that, its impossible he is the worst writer. he didnt just "help" he served 12 plus years on the series, and made the X-Men
    what they are known globally for today. he created Days Of Future Past, The Dark Phoenix Saga,  to name some fo the stories
    in X-men. he created the books X-Men, Excaliber, New Mutants, and Wolverine. he co-created the characters Rogue, Psylocke, Shadowcat, Phoenix, Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Emma Frost, Siryn, Jubilee, Rachel Summers, and Madelyne Pryor, Sabretooth, Avalanche, Strong Guy, Multiple Man, Captain Britain, Mister Sinister, and Gambit too name a very few. he's personally responsible
    for almost every reoccurring theme in the X-Universe, most notably the prominate strong female and multicultural characters,
    especially Phoenix and Storm, the first relevant African American character in her era.the TAS versions of the characters are directly based on his work. so he sucks. way to get on the whiner train and make yourself look uneducated. CC made the X-Men and his legacy proceeds him in every single form of media the X-men have ever been in during or since.
    Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5  Edited By Zoom

Chuck Austen's best day makes Claremont's worst day look like the best of Steven King, Alan Moore and Shakespeare all rolled into one story. 

Austen is the worst Uncanny writer ever.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Zoom said:
    " Chuck Austen's best day makes Claremont's worst day look like the best of Steven King, Alan Moore and Shakespeare all rolled into one story.  Austen is the worst Uncanny writer ever. "
    gotta agree with that. Austen is literally known and quoted for pissing on books and taking every short-cut storytelling
    method from shock to melodrama.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By danhimself

for me it's a tie between Morrison and Austen....I don't know who to hate more

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Dreadmaster
    @pixelized said:
    "Matthew Fraction of course. "

From what i've read of the X-Men i would have to agree
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

" for me it's a tie between Morrison and Austen....I don't know who to hate more "

kind of at that point here as well. but i can give Morrison he at least tried to do something worthwhile...
    Chucks story arcs and "contributions" to the series....well they were total crapola.
    drdanny10293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By drdanny10293
    @CATMANEXE: yea especially she lies with angels arc wtf was the point of that
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By danhimself
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "@danhimself said:

" for me it's a tie between Morrison and Austen....I don't know who to hate more "

kind of at that point here as well. but i can give Morrison he at least tried to do something worthwhile... Chucks story arcs and "contributions" to the series....well they were total crapola. "

Austen just built on the crap that Morrison had already wrote
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:
    " @CATMANEXE said:
    "@danhimself said:

kind of at that point here as well. but i can give Morrison he at least tried to do something worthwhile... Chucks story arcs and "contributions" to the series....well they were total crapola. "
    Austen just built on the crap that Morrison had already wrote "
    lol. youve got a good point there.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Chris Claremont's return to Marvel, without a doubt. Not only did he destroy one of Marvel's best and highest selling books (Exiles), but he did so in a way that when Jeff Parker (awesome writer) re-booted the book, people still wouldn't read it. And have you read X-Men Forever? No, actually read it, not just talked to someone who read it. It is one of the worst X-Titles I have ever read in my life. He may have been great in his day, but he is attrocious now.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @inferiorego said:
    "

Chris Claremont's return to Marvel, without a doubt. Not only did he destroy one of Marvel's best and highest selling books (Exiles), but he did so in a way that when Jeff Parker (awesome writer) re-booted the book, people still wouldn't read it. And have you read X-Men Forever? No, actually read it, not just talked to someone who read it. It is one of the worst X-Titles I have ever read in my life. He may have been great in his day, but he is attrocious now. "
    TRUTH. I was going to reply to CATMANEX with something along the lines...but this says it all. Thanks, inferiorego!
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By pixelized
    @inferiorego said:
    "

Chris Claremont's return to Marvel, without a doubt. Not only did he destroy one of Marvel's best and highest selling books (Exiles), but he did so in a way that when Jeff Parker (awesome writer) re-booted the book, people still wouldn't read it. And have you read X-Men Forever? No, actually read it, not just talked to someone who read it. It is one of the worst X-Titles I have ever read in my life. He may have been great in his day, but he is attrocious now. "
    his New Mutants stuff was delicious.

Exiles isn't an X book though.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

1, Matt Fraction 
    2, Chuck Austen 
    3, Claremont (For God's sake, just retire already!!)

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By John Valentine
    @danhimself said:
    Morrison
    NO!
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @pixelized said:
    " @inferiorego said:
    "

his New Mutants stuff was delicious.  Exiles isn't an X book though. "
    Exiles totally is an X-Book.

@John Valentine said:
    " @danhimself said:
    Morrison
    NO! "

I'm a huge Morrison fan. His New X-Men run was great
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself
    @inferiorego:
    Morrison's run was terrible he's the one who started all the Zorn crap....Austen couldn't have wrote the crap that he wrote without Morrison's crap to work with
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By John Valentine
    @danhimself said:
    " @inferiorego: Morrison's run was terrible he's the one who started all the Zorn crap....Austen couldn't have wrote the crap that he wrote without Morrison's crap to work with "
    He started the "Xorn crap" with the intention of him being Magneto. The retcons after that were not Morrison's fault.
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @John Valentine said:
    " @danhimself said:
    " @inferiorego: Morrison's run was terrible he's the one who started all the Zorn crap....Austen couldn't have wrote the crap that he wrote without Morrison's crap to work with "
    He started the "Xorn crap" with the intention of him being Magneto. The retcons after that were not Morrison's fault. "
    Exactly. Don't blame Morrison for Austin's garbage.
    geometry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By geometry
    @CATMANEXE said:

" @RaptorFratBoy said:

"

CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    CLAREMONT - THE RETURN
    For me, it'll always be Chris Claremont, upon returning to the X-Titles post-90's. His comeback began by revealing Wolverine's secret marriage to Viper and giving Sabretooth adamantium (only to have it taken away like a day later). Soon, we saw the incredibly-terrible Neo become the threat-du-jour. I need say no more; ever since CC came back to the books he originally helped put on the map, he's only dented his own legacy. Forcing his favorite characters down our throats, dated storytelling, and some of the most blatant retconning in comic book history.  Thanks, Chris. "
    in that, its impossible he is the worst writer. he didnt just "help" he served 12 plus years on the series, and made the X-Men
    what they are known globally for today. he created Days Of Future Past, The Dark Phoenix Saga,  to name some fo the stories
    in X-men. he created the books X-Men, Excaliber, New Mutants, and Wolverine. he co-created the characters Rogue, Psylocke, Shadowcat, Phoenix, Mystique, Lady Mastermind, Emma Frost, Siryn, Jubilee, Rachel Summers, and Madelyne Pryor, Sabretooth, Avalanche, Strong Guy, Multiple Man, Captain Britain, Mister Sinister, and Gambit too name a very few. he's personally responsible
    for almost every reoccurring theme in the X-Universe, most notably the prominate strong female and multicultural characters,
    especially Phoenix and Storm, the first relevant African American character in her era.the TAS versions of the characters are directly based on his work. so he sucks. way to get on the whiner train and make yourself look uneducated. CC made the X-Men and his legacy proceeds him in every single form of media the X-men have ever been in during or since. "
    You just f**kin killt that. I bet he or she feels like a child now.
    bobbydr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bobbydr
    @geometry:

Doubt it. You can do great things at one point in your career but it doesn't mean you are great forever. Chris Claremont WAS personally responsible for the creation of a lot of the X-Men mythology but he has created what are arguably some of the most convoluted and self indulgent storylines to ever see the X-titles as of late. Just because someone was amazing at one point in their career doesn't mean that they are going to be amazing forever.
    Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By Korg
    Fraction. He got me to stop reading Uncanny, which even Austen couldn't manage.
    RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RaptorFratBoy
    @geometry: Yes...I feel like a CHILD now because someone argued my point against Chris Claremont. I'm sure.

And as you can see, someone else agreed with me, and made every other point I didn't. And then there's a few more who also concur that yeah, he should probably give it a rest before all anyone remembers is the horrible stuff. 

So did I "f**kin killt that" enough for you?
    Ryonslaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 305

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By Ryonslaught
    @CATMANEXE said:
    "@danhimself said:

either between Austen & Fraction 

Frankly Austen made a few mistakes here and there and fans hated his rendition of Lorna, making warren and kurt angels and demons 
    they hated nures annie, and his bungling of Skin's real name etc 

but honestly he had some things that worked......juggernaut and squidboy was damn good , his interactions of northstar were spot on and even warren adn Paige were a competent couple (even though ppl did not like them)  
    Chamber, angel, paig moments were damn good!!

Fraction? oh lord.......dark x-men story utopia? should be craptopia 
    bring back psylocke...as an asian...again!!! the return of madelyne? which served no purpose?? the emotionless cookoos smile ever so often? he has a massive cast were almost everyoen is simply a cameo queen? his take on pixie...a retcon of everything i liked about her in new x-men!!!! the list could go on and on fraction is teh worst hands down!!! 

sure austin is even more unpopular but it simple become "popular" to not like him (and by extension his run) than to actually compare the upa nd downs of his run to the craption that is being bought up like hot breads.
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By Lifeguard85

I actually liked Morrison's run...I like to pretend it was an alternate universe of the X-Men because of how off character some of the stuff was, but over all he had some good stories.

Austen on the other hand was horrible. He often did stuff just because he felt like it and didnt give the characters any good reason to do it, other than he blatantly wanted them to

and now there is Fraction, he would be alright if he just gave his ideas some depth. Instead we get random shots of people during predictable story lines. I love that in the last issue of utopia, Northstar and Dazzler were both single handedly taken out by the Dark Beast...seriously? And the whole exciting battle that was suppossed to take place between Laura and Daken was like one panel. He really should be writing a Cyclops and Emma book, at least then all the cameo's would make sense. His style is for a full team of X-Men just feels rushed and grazed over. It has no depth, purpose, or feeling. He might as well have made up a whole bunch of different X-men and stuck them in there, because thats how substantial the members of the team have been thus far during Utopia.

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

Never personally read Austen's run, only because from all the venomous bile I read ABOUT it, I'm afraid I'll die of poisoning. 

The concepts he introduced, just from hearing of them, are very hit-and-miss with me. Like most, I loved the Juggernaut/Fishboy Sid arc. If Austen were to write a Juggernaut solo book, I'm sure he'd do fine. But I'm so, so glad that Juggy's back to being a bad-guy, again. I know that's not the popular stance, but he's a favorite villain...Anyway...

I pretty-well loathed the Warren/Husk romance; not even necessarily because of the age difference, it was just so...Blatant. Chuck obviously wanted something largely controversial so he'd make some headlines, and he threw-together the most random pair to do so. It probably would have worked better if he paired two people that had more of a history, more of a relatable connection than just "Suddenly we're on the same team for whatever reason so forget the weirdness, let's hook-up!" Warren's better than that. He's a distinguished, battle-hardened soldier, but also a playboy and gentleman. At most, he'd flirt with the idea and with Paige, but it would NEVER get past that. 

Nightcrawler as an actual demon is just silly. Throwing Abyss from "Age of Apocalypse" into that mess just killed a potential great villain, and it screwed-around with an already messy origin. That whole concept should have been shot-down before leaving Editorial, but what do I know? Meh, I say...

Grant Morrison, on the other hand, brought me BACK to the X-Men after "The Twelve" killed them for me. His ideas were fresh and wacky, the art was the likewise, and at the same time he tried to make a group like the X-Men work in a realistic way, with both the school and how the group works as a team being more solidly fleshed-out and defined. I love the Cuckoos, the idea of Cassandra Nova, the whole Quentin Quire storyline with the intro of MGH and the riot at the school, all of it. The reveal of Magneto as Xorn floored me, quite literally, I was SHOCKED! Morrison is the only one in the last ten years to do that with a comic book reveal, and I'm grateful for it and will respect everything he does and will ever do because of it. The fact that the washed-up hack himself, Claremont, came in and forced Marvel to retcon the whole thing so he could have his precious Magneto for his lousey "Excalibur" relaunch makes me naseous even thinking about it now. That was PATHETIC.

Pulsar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pulsar

Fraction is the worse for me. At least the other writers had a sense of who the characters are.
    PYH000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PYH000

Those who heard me say this one would think of me as a broken record (apologies) but I'm going to say it anyway since it's my comment:

I hated how Claremont wrote Illyana Rasputin out of character prior to issue #21 of the New Mutants Classic. Since when has she been portrayed as the mall-rat stereotype all of a sudden? I'm just glad Magik's under good hands with Wells.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.