Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who wrote the best and worse: Cyclops

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I did one a while back ago on Emma Frost, so I'm hoping I could do one for Cyclops and a range of other character later on, so the question is in the title:

Who wrote the best and worst Cyclops????

somacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cyke

Best: whedon

Worst: morrison

Tyke :

The only writers of tyke have bee Lee, bendis and Rucka. He is an all new character so its hard to decide

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: hmm, I'm gonna say Fraction (don't shoot). Without a doubt he made him look like the Undisputed Leader of the X-Men, who struggles with the responsibility of all that he as leader and the X-Men as heroes stand for in regards to mutant kind and the how the world perceives them. He showed the weight of it all and how it weighed on Cyke.

Whedon though is a close number two. Because he saved Cyclops from the pit, and put him on the path to respectable characters.

Worst: Morrison. Cyclops cheated on his wife. Ignored her for his therapist. Played the victim after the fact. And wasn't even much of a leader of the team. And throughout the 50 something issue run it all would've made sense....except Morrison couldn't be bothered to remind us that Cyclops had just been possessed, killed and mind raped by Apocalypse in another book for half a year.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to say who wrote the best Cyclops. Whedon and Gillen both wrote him well.

Bendis writes the worst Cyclops. Gillen handed him a gem and he's done nothing with it.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I gotto say Claremont and Rucka wrote the best versions of two completely different Cyclops

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Best: hmm, I'm gonna say Fraction (don't shoot). Without a doubt he made him look like the Undisputed Leader of the X-Men, who struggles with the responsibility of all that he as leader and the X-Men as heroes stand for in regards to mutant kind and the how the world perceives them. He showed the weight of it all and how it weighed on Cyke.

Whedon though is a close number two. Because he saved Cyclops from the pit, and put him on the path to respectable characters.

Worst: Morrison. Cyclops cheated on his wife. Ignored her for his therapist. Played the victim after the fact. And wasn't even much of a leader of the team. And throughout the 50 something issue run it all would've made sense....except Morrison couldn't be bothered to remind us that Cyclops had just been possessed, killed and mind raped by Apocalypse in another book for half a year.

but he always said in Morrsion run that he told emma that he was possess by Apocalypse named En Sabah Nur.

oh some weird info when i looked up Apocalpse on this site it also looked up cyclops and jean grey as well 0.0

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

but he always said in Morrsion run that he told emma that he was possess by Apocalypse named En Sabah Nur.

oh some weird info when i looked up Apocalpse on this site it also looked up cyclops and jean grey as well 0.0

Nope in Morrison;s run they mention Apocalypse's name like once. then they just say "he's going through some stuff"

I also noticed that, its weird.

Materiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still get chills when going through Whedon's run. It's brilliant, top to bottom. Scott getting himself killed and resuscitated along with the subsequent blast into the sky is without a doubt my favorite moment.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Whedon. He did what many writers failed to do with the character. He got Cyclops-haters to take notice. While many writers have done well to show his leadership skills, tactical mind, etc, Whedon showed us a Scott Summers that readers actually cared about. He showed us ACTUAL CHARACTER, rather than just attributes. He was just the right mix of flawed and badass.

Worst: While many would argue Morrison ruined the character, i would say he saved the character from being stuck in a rut of mediocrity. So the worse for me is the combination of writers in the 90s between Claremont and Morrison.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#10 god_spawn  Moderator

Best: Whedon's run. I love it. Still my favorite take on my favorite two characters ever. I don't necessarily get the Morrison hate, though? I get he made Cyke do some "questionable" things, but thanks to Morrison, he basically laid the groundwork for Cyke's development into the character he is today.

Worst: Jason Aaron. I hate Aaron's Cyclops in recent years, but mainly when it is involved to put Wolverine on a pedestal.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Louise Simmons has been the worst writer for Cyclops, because the insecure, indecisive and whimper Cyclops was an her creation. The Cyclops of Lee and the first Cyclops of Claremont was a true leader. Maybe he wasn't a badass, but he was a true leader.

Who is the best writer?

I don't know because I still haven't read all the x-men books wrote after Morrison.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Best - Whedon.

Worst - Aaron.

Sky_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far no one did, cause he's a jerk in every comics.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Whedon's run. I love it. Still my favorite take on my favorite two characters ever. I don't necessarily get the Morrison hate, though? I get he made Cyke do some "questionable" things, but thanks to Morrison, he basically laid the groundwork for Cyke's development into the character he is today.

Worst: Jason Aaron. I hate Aaron's Cyclops in recent years, but mainly when it is involved to put Wolverine on a pedestal.

what was jason aaron's run?????

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn said:

what was jason aaron's run?????

Watxm...

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Bendis' Cyclops is the best at giving speeches.

Idk who the worst is because I cant really remember an X-Men run where I didn't like Scott.

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best: Anybody that understands Cyclops, and use him in the best of his ability.

Worst: Anybody that hates Cyclops with a passion.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

@avenger85: cyclops space-pirate look is the best

MacDio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best was Chris Claremont for classic and Matt Fraction for modern.

Worst was Stan Lee for classic and Grant Morrison for modern.

GunsNRoses23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best would be claremont and whedon

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Best would probably be Claremont. Claremont was the first one that turned Cyclops into a interesting character and made him seem like a good leader.

Worst would probably be Seagle. The man seemed to learn about X-Men from watching the 90's cartoon. His Cyclops was paranoid and boring.

Selina_Sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Best: Kieron GIllen, Claremont, Whedon, Morrison

Worst: Fraction

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TristanHeron

@hopesummersforthefuture: Where does the costume in the second row, middle column, with the golden arm and side of head, come from?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: Where does the costume in the second row, middle column, with the golden arm and side of head, come from?

i dont know i think from a future cyclops storyline

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I found interesting about Cyclops is no matter, which writer comes and goes, their story somehow fits in with his character arc. I don't know how it happens, but every time a writer touchers Scott, we hate the guy, and when he is done, we realize that somehow it was exactly how it meant to be. Even when he was written as the worst, somehow it fits. More than that, I came to accept his affair, fall, death, and even the soul-searching arc. Somehow, they all fit him, but not for a character, but for a human.

BornToLose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best would probably be Claremont. Cyclops was boring and vanilla before him. Morison and Lobdell were also pretty good.

Fraction made cyke an unlikable asshole. To a lesser extent, Brubaker did as well. But the hands down worst has to go to the writers from the 90s X-Men cartoon. The made him the "boring boy scout" in the eyes of an entire generation of fans.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PyroFN  Online

Best: I agree with @koays generally about this one, but to just be different, I’ll say I liked Hickman’s/Duggan’s Cyclops, because Dadclops is best Cyclops.

No Caption Provided

Worst: Stan Lee/Jack Kirby’s Cyclops. That era just has not aged well. Though I can’t really blame the writers for this, it really doesn’t change this fact. Claremont’s run is nearly as old and his run is usually regarded as the definition of the best X-Men era, though I don’t necessarily agree.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.