Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Who should lead the X-Men?

• 92 results
    Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

Poll Who should lead the X-Men? (86 votes)

Cyclops 57%
    Wolverine 5%
    Storm 22%
    Professor X 16%

If the X-Men were to rejoin into one faction again who should be the over all leader?

• 
    kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think Professor X should be the overall leader but Cyclops should be the 2nd in command, like how it was originally.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

pretty tight between Cyclop, storm and charles. I think storm and Charles should lead the x-men.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Storm.

She has worked with both factions. Has ties with the Avengers and Fantastic Four "which will be important in explaining why Scott's team isn't behind bars" and has the cleanest record out of every character on this list.

Xavier should stay dead.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By judasnixon

Ha ha ha ha. That's awesome! No one voted Wolverine.....

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want charles to come back, new and improve professer X.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

It was hard to choose between Storm and Professor Xavier, but I choose Professor Xavier since he did create the X-Men in the first place. I just hope that if he does come back, they would try to redeem him and write better stories for him.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe what happen to him uncanny Avengers. They love dragging here character through the mud.

CaptainDoeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Cyclops. The freedom fighting thing is interesting. Cyclops makes a cool leader too.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is cool and everything, but I want change. I want storm to lead with Charles and the old Jean grey back.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Professor X just because I think he was more of a visionary than Scott or Ororo. Even if his vision was blurry sometimes.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

Cyclops without a doubt.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Professor X had the dream, but Scott has the skills....... Just because you have a good Idea doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who can do it better. You might not agree with him, but he does the thing that he has too to keep his people alive......

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time said:

I want charles to come back, new and improve professer X.

Yeah I have to say seeing a Professor X that's in charge and able to go out with the rest of the rest of the X-Men would be sick. Real shame he was hardly with the X-Men once he got his legs back. That scene in AvX where you could see Charles with two Psychic energy swords like the kind Psylocke uses was pretty awesome to.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Professor X had the dream, but Scott has the skills....... Just because you have a good Idea doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who can do it better. You might not agree with him, but he does the thing that he has too to keep his people alive......

There's only one true leader of the Xmen, Cyclops ! In the end, there can only be one!

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I think the fact that the X-men are divided as they are is because someone always ends up outranking someone else, seemingly just because they decided they were in charge. I always found the team functioned best, and was the most interesting, when it's mandate was dictated by assembly. They should be lead by a table, not a throne.

Cyclops, Storm, Kitty, Wolverine, Beast, and Rogue have all been shown to be capable leaders; if the X-men were to reunite into one team, wouldn't it be better (and more interesting) for all of them to get a seat at the table?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact that the X-men are divided as they are is because someone always ends up outranking someone else, seemingly just because they decided they were in charge. I always found the team functioned best, and was the most interesting, when it's mandate was dictated by assembly. They should be lead by a table, not a throne.

Cyclops, Storm, Kitty, Wolverine, Beast, and Rogue have all been shown to be capable leaders; if the X-men were to reunite into one team, wouldn't it be better (and more interesting) for all of them to get a seat at the table?

I would definitely like to see that! It's been too long since we saw the X-Men actually communicate with each other like leaders instead of everyone just following one person. It would make things much easier for the X-Men.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: that's more like how they did it in the nineties, when the teams first (re)united. Except that usually Storm didn't say too much. But I guess with Jean there she didn't have to.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By nappystr8

Cyclops I think will always be the best leader of the X-Men. It was the role he was groomed for, and I love the stories that focus on him trying his hardest to live up to that role.

Xavier served his purpose terrifically in the beginning but it's clear that very few writers have any clue how to use him effectively. This time, they should just keep him dead. Wolverine should NEVER have been a leader in the first place, and the declawed version of himself he has been for the past 5 or so years because of his new role is an afront the Wolverine that interests me.

I know Storm has had stints as leader, but I'm not familiar enough with them to say how I feel about her in charge.

I would also like to see Iceman take control of the X-Men at somepoint. Despite being a founding member, and I believe an Omega level mutant, he has always been such a goofball. It would be interesting to see him forced into a situation where he had to grow up and embrace his true potential.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judasnixon said:
    No Caption Provided

There's only one true leader of the Xmen, Cyclops ! In the end, there can only be one!

I wish i could think of a clever one eye pun :(

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@teerack said:

in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king?

Sounds like a fortune cookie :P

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@evilvegeta74 said:

@judasnixon said:
    No Caption Provided

He has a very singular view on mutant kind and poor depth perception when it comes to how his actions effect mutant kind on a wide scale.

In all seriousness I disagree with Scott's views and would rather see two factions then on singular one under his beliefs.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

He has a very singular view on mutant kind and poor depth perception when it comes to how his actions effect mutant kind on a wide scale.

In all seriousness I disagree with Scott's views and would rather see two factions then on singular one under his beliefs.

That's pretty much what I meant.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Yours was very profound :p.

I love the idea of them round table debating about mutant issues. I really just wish they would f__king talk about these issues. Have Scott, Logan, Emma, Ororo, Erik, and Hank sit down and have a heated discussion. They don't have to agree, they don't have to be a team, but an issue where these characters discussed their concerns and beliefs would not only give the reader a clearer picture of what each of these characters stand for "especially Cyclops, Storm and Wolverine as team leaders", but a cohesive argument for people to choose whose beliefs they stand with more.

There is seriously not enough discussing in the Marvel Universe.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea of them round table debating about mutant issues. I really just wish they would f__king talk about these issues. Have Scott, Logan, Emma, Ororo, Erik, and Hank sit down and have a heated discussion. They don't have to agree, they don't have to be a team, but an issue where these characters discussed their concerns and beliefs would not only give the reader a clearer picture of what each of these characters stand for "especially Cyclops, Storm and Wolverine as team leaders", but a cohesive argument for people to choose whose beliefs they stand with more.

Definitely agree with this! Half of these battles would have been avoided if they would have talked it over instead of fighting over it.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Mm. I get the idea that this 'X-Men of The Roundtable' thing was supposed to have been the highlight during the Utopian era, but no. It was more of Cyclops' domineering and dictating, or Wolverine doing the ole' "bub" talk. There was no personal deference, it was follow the leader (Cyclops).

Storm should. At this point, she's the only viable and trustworthy representative of Mutantkind (with a Mohawk). Cyclops has taken this distorted vision of protecting new mutants to a different extreme and his ideology is unhealthy. Quite a lot of other people don't trust him, so why would they let him lead them ?

Yes, Xavier had the dream and a good dream it was, else this wouldn't be a discussion, but Storm (upon first taking up the leadership mantle) always made that, whatever her own endeavor, the priority, and she didn't allow any dispositional grudge to cloud it. Looks like Cyclops is still trying to show Wolverine who was "the better man" at the end of the day. And that's pathetic. Cyclops isn't in the right state of mind to lead an entire race. He's crazy.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quentin Quire

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Yeah, that's something I really enjoyed about Whedon's run, how much the team debated and argued amongst themselves. And I think of that run as an especially good example of Cyclops being a good leader, partially because it seemed like he genuinely took everyone on his team's views into consideration; I'd argue that when he stopped doing that, buckling under the pressures of Utopia and generally not trusting his team with the truth, he ultimately became less of a leader.

That said, I don't think there needs to be just one unified X-men for the round table idea to work; I think having several key figures from different X-men teams, as you suggested (though I don't see Magneto being there), would probably be more interesting. Like a parliament of X-men, a meeting of their leaders, representatives, and leading minds.

Mm. I get the idea that this 'X-Men of The Roundtable' thing was supposed to have been the highlight during the Utopian era, but no. It was more of Cyclops' domineering and dictating, or Wolverine doing the ole' "bub" talk. There was no personal deference, it was follow the leader (Cyclops).

Storm should. At this point, she's the only viable and trustworthy representative of Mutantkind (with a Mohawk). Cyclops has taken this distorted vision of protecting new mutants to a different extreme and his ideology is unhealthy. Quite a lot of other people don't trust him, so why would they let him lead them ?

Yes, Xavier had the dream and a good dream it was, else this wouldn't be a discussion, but Storm (upon first taking up the leadership mantle) always made that, whatever her own endeavor, the priority, and she didn't allow any dispositional grudge to cloud it.

Yeah, I voted for Storm to get the general consensus, so I guess that shows my opinion. But Cyclops and some of the others do have their supporters too, and I think that not acknowledging that only serves to further divide the various factions.

Maybe if Storm or Kitty had been around more to step up to the plate on Utopia, Wolverine wouldn't have followed Cyclops as unquestioningly as he did, and the whole Schism thing wouldn't have come to such a head. But I guess that's conjecture at this point.

As Jean pointed out in new X-men #121, "we ought to talk."

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Scott...if he drops the Communist thing...

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ha ha no one voted for wolverine and i think his the leader from wolverine and the x-men

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Storm.

She has worked with both factions. Has ties with the Avengers and Fantastic Four "which will be important in explaining why Scott's team isn't behind bars" and has the cleanest record out of every character on this list.

Xavier should stay dead.

THIS!!

Jg0587

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jg0587

Storm seems to be the most level headed. And gets my vote.

Sadly, in recent issues I haven't seen her do enough to assert her authority though. I worry that some of the hotheads wouldn't listen to her.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops. Charles time has come and gone. But he should still play an advisory role of some kind.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@jg0587 said:

Storm seems to be the most level headed. And gets my vote.

Sadly, in recent issues I haven't seen her do enough to assert her authority though. I worry that some of the hotheads wouldn't listen to her.

I've only ever seen Cyclops and Xavier not follow her lead. Wolverine, Kitty, and at one time Cannonball, may have all debated with her, but they still always followed her lead.

Colossus recently butted heads with her for feeling like he was not being treated as her equal, but I think only Cyclops and Xavier have ever really undermined her leadership. And, as much as I love Cyclops, and actually do see him as a superior tactician (and perhaps a better field leader in that regard), I'd personally put more faith in Storm to make the right decisions for her team than I would Cyclops or Xavier.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To rip-off a joke from The Big Bang Theory...

Cyclop's team must be called the C-Men! Nyahahaha!

Spaced_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always Cyclops, I find myself siding with him in the current x-books whereas wolverines decisions should be questioned more than Scott's

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

The one Eyed Bandit, he will get through this mess and become the leader again if they don't bring Prof back (and i hope they dont)

Also all you storm lovers, i have always seen Storm as kind of Selfish, and yes she can be untrusting in her team mates, she showed this in XSE a few times. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, she is human and that was one of the greatest things about claremont his characters were human. People talking like she has no flaws, while wolverine, prof and cyclops are all flawed and un worthy. lol So yea, they all have the ups and downs, i wouldn't mind seeing the round table butt it was used once before in the early 2000's, trying to remember vaguely who it was Cyclops, havok, Storm, nightcrawler warren maybe? And they all still had to answer to cyclops.

Also i don't think Cyclops ever stopped listening to his people, in the prelude to Schism all he did was talk to his top advisors about what was going on and get their opinions on it. He listened he was just smart enough to know when they were wrong :D

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@mcklayn said:

Also all you storm lovers, i have always seen Storm as kind of Selfish, and yes she can be untrusting in her team mates, she showed this in XSE a few times. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, she is human and that was one of the greatest things about claremont his characters were human. People talking like she has no flaws, while wolverine, prof and cyclops are all flawed and un worthy. lol So yea, they all have the ups and downs, i wouldn't mind seeing the round table butt it was used once before in the early 2000's, trying to remember vaguely who it was Cyclops, havok, Storm, nightcrawler warren maybe? And they all still had to answer to cyclops.

Also i don't think Cyclops ever stopped listening to his people, in the prelude to Schism all he did was talk to his top advisors about what was going on and get their opinions on it. He listened he was just smart enough to know when they were wrong :D

Yeah, Storm's not perfect either, which is why I would rather see the round table system implemented, even though she is my favorite of the X-men's leaders.

As for you're assessment of Cyclops, I still think that if he felt the need to hide information from the likes of Storm and the Beast, part of him already knew he was doing something wrong, whether he'd admit it himself or not. So I'm not convinced that he was really listening.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Cyclops.

BTW your previous forum AV was better than the current one, IMHO. Really put the "Rack" in Teerack...

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not to rain on your joke, but technically it'd be the S-Men. Which still sounds funny, but you get my point :P

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@oldnightcrawler: The round table wouldnt be bad but you have to look at American Government and think about this, would anything ever get done? Even in Secret Avengers for example can you really make EVERYONE agree on the same course of action there has to be a tier system imo, some one has to carry the weight of decision making and the responsibly of it's actions.

I mean if idk Wolverine didn't agree with the rest then what? And i mean look at the personalities you got on hand, Wolverine in one of the latest AU issues basically threaten to kill hawkeye when everyone disagreed with him, so they do it at the round table and he goes all berserker fury on them? If Beast decides hes too high and mighty to make X force when everyone else is like sure lets do it, they knock him out and erase him memory like the New Avengers did with Cap? Or do they sit around and argue about it until they all agree, in which case nothing ever happens because the characters are very passionate and seems to refuse to change position on many points, do they vote? Majority wins? Then what when you get voted against and you believe with every inch of your fiber you were right? your an x men you don't just stand around you go against the table and do what you think is right, thats what Storm would do (example is her running of with XSE when she didn't trust xavier with destiny's dairies) Wolverine would (he made the school) Cyclops would (he made another school :D ) there characters if they get voted down aren't going to just roll over and go with the flow.

Its what makes them so good, and its why a round table would never work unless the writers made them all agree on everything which would be boring, you would have to have at least idk some one to make the final decision (which in turn would end up being the leader so kind of kills the round table idea) so yea its a great concept but i don't see it being too good put into action.

So of the choices I pick Cyclops :D

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I don't think they all have to agree to come to a general consensus as to what they should do, people do that all of the time.

Your argument sounds a bit like, some one person has to be in charge, and that person has to be willing to do things that the others would not want done (like killing and torturing people?) as their representative. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Then again, I don't think I would ever look to the American government as a model of decent leadership either..

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@ssejllenrad said:

Not to rain on your joke, but technically it'd be the S-Men. Which still sounds funny, but you get my point :P

Just got burnt! Ouchies!

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't picture Storm or Logan giving Scott orders at this point in time. Scott should lead.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Cyclops is not fit to lead.

Lightburst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Lightburst

Cyclops is the only person doing anything, everyone else wants to just gather more new born mutants and hide in a building and wait for humans to attack again. The government is already building more sentinels and they still refuse to agree with Cyclops just because he kill Prof X while being controlled by the Phoenix. everyone is just acting like children and accept the fact that no one who was part of the P5 was at fault.

They will beg for Cyclops to lead them again when the world attacks them again.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Storm. Cyclops can just stay over there....

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is not fit to lead.

Ah, it's good to be back. Nice to see the X-Boards haven't changed.

But seriously, there should be two leaders. Scott leading the revolution, and Storm leading the JGS. Send Wolverine to the Avengers, and make him stay there for like 3 years.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But seriously, there should be two leaders. Scott leading the revolution, and Storm leading the JGS. Send Wolverine to the Avengers, and make him stay there for like 3 years.

Basically. Storm and Cyclops always end up not being willing to follow each other; even when they aren't at odds, it always ends up with one of them leading one team and one of them leading another. When Storm defeated Cyclops for leadership the first time, he went and started X-factor; when he took over the school with Emma, she started the XSE. And when they are on the same team, they're always butting heads anyway because they do have such different styles of leadership; it's really kind of a waste to not have them each leading their own team.

And as for Wolverine, I do like that he lives/works at/represents the school, but that doesn't mean that he has to be on the X-men. So, yeah, I'm a little more interested in seeing him on the Uncanny Avengers, as a representative of the X-men, than actually on an X-men team at this point.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreyoutcastx said:

Basically. Storm and Cyclops always end up not being willing to follow each other; even when they aren't at odds, it always ends up with one of them leading one team and one of them leading another. When Storm defeated Cyclops for leadership the first time, he went and started X-factor; when he took over the school with Emma, she started the XSE. And when they are on the same team, they're always butting heads anyway because they do have such different styles of leadership; it's really kind of a waste to not have them each leading their own team.

And as for Wolverine, I do like that he lives/works at/represents the school, but that doesn't mean that he has to be on the X-men. So, yeah, I'm a little more interested in seeing him on the Uncanny Avengers, as a representative of the X-men, than actually on an X-men team at this point.

If the Cyclops vs Storm model for leadership ain't broke, why mess with it?

I understand your view on Logan, but I said that cause I just want that man out of X-Books for awhile. I just have no love for Wolverine anymore with Marvel forcing him to appear in everything. Logan should not be in like 5 books every week.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.