Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Which X-Man could protect a city?

Wesat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wesat

In DC, usually superheroes are tasked with protecting their own cities.

Batman protects Gotham

Superman protects Metropolis

Which X-Man Do you think can protect their entire city?

And as an additional question, Can this character's protection of the city be adapted into a solo comic?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theoretically, almost any X-Man has the capability to protect a city on their own. Still, it sounds like a cop out answer, so.....

The Grey-Summers psychics. Jean, Rachel, Cable, and X-Man all have the capability to protect a city on their own. Travel isn’t an issue for any of them, due to three of them having the capability to fly and one of them accessing teleportation. Solo’s aren’t an issue either, since three of these four have their own solo’s. If they were more lenient of the no psychic reading people’s minds rule, they would possibly be the most efficient, capable of not only heading off crimes, but possibly alerting authorities to crimes they can’t stop themselves.

Hope Summers as a side not is a little more complicated superpower-wise, but she technically doesn’t really need powers to protect a city. Briefly, she did using a jet pack and whatever she could access from Cable’s armories. Add her hand-to-hand combat feats and you a very capable teenage girl.

Storm has protected a city on her own before and has had her own solos multiple times, so she is obviously a no brained.

Cyclops could’ve had his own solo’s back in the Utopia era, due to having access to not only a powerful long range power, but having incredible martial arts skills and a jet pack at the time before AvX. He also has his own solo before, though it was a space adventure with his dad.

Nightcrawler is a character with a less offensive-based super-power, though it has it’s uses. Needless to say, teleportation not only gives him some advantages in hostage situations, but his agility being on par with Spider-Man helps against times when the opponent is armed. Add in his sword skills, his suction cup hands and feet, and his blue skin and hair being dark enough to blend with the darkness. Nightcrawler also has had a solo before.

I could keep going, butI think the point is made when I say that virtually any X-Man could protect the city on their own. With exception of Cyclops though, I even ensured that I thought about a ways and means they could handle crime fighting without the X-Men’a resources at their disposal.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheInsufferable

Power-wise, most of them could do it, as long as the city in question isn't NYC, but in terms of how in-character such a thing would be in the long term, since most X-Men characters were meant to work as a team, it limits the answer to loners like Wolverine, Cable, etc. It would probably fit many of Storm fans' ideal for the character as well, but ymmv on that.

As for how likely such a thing is to happen; well, Marvel comics generally tend to behave as though there's no place on earth outside NYC 80% of the time, so Wolverine's travels to Madripoor and such places is the closest thing you're going to get to a long-term version of this.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Remember the Force Warriors in Age of X? Thats my idea for an Xman or team protecting a city

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If Angel pooled his resources like Batman he'd be a great city protector.

Magik could easily.

The majority of X-Men work better as a team though.

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty much all the powerful telepathic-telekinetic mutants could. They have the power to protect, while also having the means to keep tabs on stuff and whatever.

As to whether it could be adapted into a solo, I'd say yes. Nate Grey was doing this sort of during his solo book.

Avatar image for obscureobsidian
    ObscureObsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think the X-Men are thought to work as a team, so at first it might seem like most of them wouldn't work in a similar vein than Batman or Superman.

But most of them could still work as individual vigilantes defending a city and fighting crime by night like Batman does. Gambit, Psylocke and Nightcrawler are my best pics for that.

In a more Superman style I think Jean Grey, Nate Grey, Storm, Rogue (if she has Ms Marvel's powers atm) and Monet. Angel would be more focused on rescuing people instead of fighting bad guys.

In a Flash-like title, Northstar and Aurora. Period.

Also a little unrealted but Emma Frost as a Wonder Woman villain could be great.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.