Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Which one X title? (Now!)

TimmyGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TimmyGrunt

Hi Mutants!

First post here at CV. I returned to comics with the New52 after a verrrrrrrry long time away from graphic story telling. In my previous life, I'd been almost exclusively DC / Vertigo. As the last 12 months or so have elapsed, I've started picking up a few Marvel books - Avengers Assemble (meh), Hawkeye and Daredevil (awesome) and all of AvX. With Now!, I've already picked up Uncanny Avengers and have Iron Man, Thor and Cap America on my pull list to try.

I'd like to add one X book, I mean, X Men are the real corner stone of the Marvel U. But I have no idea which ONE to get. From Point One, I did like what I saw of "All New X Men".

Thoughts and opinions from the fans definitely welcome.

Thanks,

TIM

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JohnnyGat

Me I'm most looking forward to Cable and the X-Force as well as All New X-men. Though I normally would jump at Uncanny X-men the thought of Bachalo on a darker comic book than WatX just feels off to me. I loved his art paired with the light hearted nature of the students at WatX but I really have second thoughts on it on a less light hearted title.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@TimmyGrunt: Well with Marvel NOW it's a good jumping on point for all the X-Titles, Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men are meant to be the main/core books so you should prob check them out

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

I'll be picking up Uncanny, All New, and Cable and X-Force.

Probably give Legacy and Uncanny X-Force Vol 2 a try, and, begrudgingly, continue to pick up Wolverine and The X-Men for a little longer, just to see where it goes.

Really got bored with DC over the last few months.

chocobojam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chocobojam

I'm also a former DC comic collector and I've just begun reading marvel comics at X-men schism and been following Wolverine and the X-men and Uncanny X-men all the way. As for marvel now, I'm planning to follow Uncanny x-force, Cable and x-force, and Uncanny x-men ( again, since the current uncanny x-men has ended at issue # 20 ).

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By x_29

Pick up Wolverine and the x-men and check out all-new-x-men.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By AgeofHurricane

If anything, check out Cable and X-Force.

TimmyGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TimmyGrunt

Thanks for the responses! Hmmmmm. Thinking Uncanny might be the ONE to go for, as it's "flagship". Wonder what legs "All New..." can have, seems better set up for a limited series. What's the story with Cable and X Force, Cable's an unknown to me?

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Veitha

I'll read everything coz in my country they'll pubblish only three books at the same cost of the one pubblished in the USA, but with inside every X-Men title.

Howhever, if you like Scott Summers, you should read AllNewXMen, Uncanny XMen and Cable and XForce.

While if you like more the "Wolverine's side" you should read Wolverine and the X-Men, X-Men and maybe Uncanny X-Force

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By John Valentine

@TimmyGrunt said:

Thanks for the responses! Hmmmmm. Thinking Uncanny might be the ONE to go for, as it's "flagship". Wonder what legs "All New..." can have, seems better set up for a limited series. What's the story with Cable and X Force, Cable's an unknown to me?

It's basically just going to be Cable being awesome.

Read his Bio. - /cable/29-2157/

Frell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Frell

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@TimmyGrunt: Well with Marvel NOW it's a good jumping on point for all the X-Titles, Uncanny X-Men and All New X-Men are meant to be the main/core books so you should prob check them out

I agree. Both titles are going to be written by Bendis, this leads me to believe he working up for one whole story through the 2 titles.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@John Valentine: Think I'm going to try Legacy, I like Legion (or I did in Age of X anyway) and he's also Scottish so thats a bonus lol

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John Valentine

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@John Valentine: Think I'm going to try Legacy, I like Legion (or I did in Age of X anyway) and he's also Scottish so thats a bonus lol

I've always found him to be an interesting character, so I'll see what happens to him in this new Legacy series.

Xorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xorion

All x titles are welcome to me since avengers are losing me with every new step. I'd suggest cable and x-force (simply because I trust everything cable's in) Uncanny or all new x-men. But then again they're all new and none of us actually know how will they be so it's better to peek before buying

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blood1991

I'm most interested in Uncanny X-Force and Cable's X-Force, but I'm X-Men and WATX too.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By InnerVenom123

Might pick up Uncanny X-men.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AgeofHurricane

And if i may add, the ANXM preview doesn't look that much appealing. Typical Bendis hogwash holding a large cast of characters and no discernible voice amongst themselves, and then, the usual 'gob-smacking' plot device to help move the 'story' forward until it reaches its climax by issue 5 or something.

Yeah, would suggest not picking that up if you favor substantial characterization.

Let's not forget the perpetual array of interlocking speech bubbles, a dialogue between one or more characters repeating the same thing.

Exhibit A -

Bendis wholeheartedly makes me sick.
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By TheCrowbar

I'm going to wait a couple of months and see how the reviews go.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#19  Edited By McKlayn

I would pick up All New X men and if it doesnt catch your fancy just grab Uncanny X men in feb

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#20  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@TimmyGrunt:

WOLVERINE AND THE XMEN

Its the best X book but U should add all new xmen to your pull list as it is gonna be the main X book

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By John Valentine

@MadeinBangladesh said:

@TimmyGrunt:

WOLVERINE AND THE XMEN

Its the best X book but U should add all new xmen to your pull list as it is gonna be the main X book

The gimmick has worn off.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By McKlayn

@John Valentine said:

@MadeinBangladesh said:

@TimmyGrunt:

WOLVERINE AND THE XMEN

The gimmick has worn off.

i hate to say it but i kind of agree, if your interested in the X men of NOW get All New X men & Uncanny, I think they bendis books will be like sister flag ships for the X verse now

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By McKlayn

@AgeofHurricane said:

And if i may add, the ANXM preview doesn't look that much appealing. Typical Bendis hogwash holding a large cast of characters and no discernible voice amongst themselves, and then, the usual 'gob-smacking' plot device to help move the 'story' forward until it reaches its climax by issue 5 or something.

Yeah, would suggest not picking that up if you favor substantial characterization.

Let's not forget the perpetual array of interlocking speech bubbles, a dialogue between one or more characters repeating the same thing.

Exhibit A -

Also im pretty sure that example of Bendis work is well not his work, i am pretty sure it is almost word for word the remake of the original X men issue where they debut Unus the Untouchable, Beast and Bobby save some kids they go all "you mutie freaks" hank gets pissed and leaves the team becomes a professional wrestler, finds out that the wrestling Champ (unus) is a mutant being recruited by magneto, the x men try to beat him but cant he makes some device that keeps him from turning off his shield so he cant eat or drink. Begs them to fix him and promises not to be evil if they do.

So yea can't really hold that against him

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Durakken

I recommend all of Ultimate Marvel books...save for maybe The Ultimates which annoy me with every start of a new volume and not following the established canon seemingly purposefully just to annoy people.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John Valentine

@McKlayn said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Exhibit A -

Also im pretty sure that example of Bendis work is well not his work, i am pretty sure it is almost word for word the remake of the original X men issue where they debut Unus the Untouchable, Beast and Bobby save some kids they go all "you mutie freaks" hank gets pissed and leaves the team becomes a professional wrestler, finds out that the wrestling Champ (unus) is a mutant being recruited by magneto, the x men try to beat him but cant he makes some device that keeps him from turning off his shield so he cant eat or drink. Begs them to fix him and promises not to be evil if they do.

Yes! Yes it is! I didn't realise this before now.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McKlayn

@John Valentine: yea it's one of the best parts about that preview, as soon as i read it i knew EXACTLY where they were pulling it from. Im like oh COOL THIS REALLY HAPPENED, so idk maybe just lame fun by me but i thought it was cool they picked a spot you could go back and read and not just some random time they were chillin in the danger room or whatever

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By papad1992

@John Valentine said:

I'll be picking up Uncanny, All New, and Cable and X-Force.

Probably give Legacy and Uncanny X-Force Vol 2 a try, and, begrudgingly, continue to pick up Wolverine and The X-Men for a little longer, just to see where it goes.

Really got bored with DC over the last few months.

This exactly!!

RPatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RPatrick

@John Valentine said:

@McKlayn said:

@AgeofHurricane said:

Exhibit A -

Yes! Yes it is! I didn't realise this before now.

Nice catch. Bendis has done his homework.

As to the complaining about Bendis' dialogue, if you look at it as kind of a combination of the speech patterns Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet use in their screenplays/plays/films, you can see where Bendis gets his style. If you watch an episode of 'The West Wing,' or 'The Newsroom,' oftentimes it seems as though the characters were just funnels for whatever happened to be on Sorkin's mind that particular week. Once you look a bit deeper, though, the little inflections of the actors and tiny nuances of the wording help to keep the characters distinct and unique.

The trick is to look at the art as the "actors..." it is the prism that takes the Bendis dialogue and fractalizes it into individual voices.

Now, completley backing off dialogue-theory and back into fanboy-mode...

I wonder if Bendis has any plans for Apocalypse. Aaron is using him in Wolverine and the X-Men, and seems to have plans for him, but Bendis used him for a particularly good issue of Avengers (right after "Seige") and seemed to be having fun with him. Now that he's in the X-Sandbox, I'm intrigued to see what he does with the X-villains.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@McKlayn: I believe my point still stands, most panels are repeats of the same subject with no substantial 'move'. And he does that ALL the time.

TimmyGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TimmyGrunt

Well, will add #1's of All New and Uncanny to the list and there's just too much love for Cable, so have to give that one a go, too. Thanks y'all. :-)

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rickbarry

@TimmyGrunt: I'm late to the party, but people have been giving solid advice. Uncanny X-men and Cable & X-force seem to have quite a bit of hype behind them. They're worth a shot. Gambit's solo series is actually entertaining as well.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By McKlayn

@TimmyGrunt said:

Well, will add #1's of All New and Uncanny to the list and there's just too much love for Cable, so have to give that one a go, too. Thanks y'all. :-)

Yea bro, the Cable title should be really awesome the character itself is just really solid and always seems to find his way into the good stories. Also make sure you keep in touch and let us know what you liked and or didn't like

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dman1366

@John Valentine: are you really getting All New john? please say no. Bendis is just going to ruin the O5

TimmyGrunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TimmyGrunt

@McKlayn said:

@TimmyGrunt said:

Yea bro, the Cable title should be really awesome the character itself is just really solid and always seems to find his way into the good stories. Also make sure you keep in touch and let us know what you liked and or didn't like

I will!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.