Where do I start?

Preecer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys. I just started getting into comics and I've been reading The Amazing Spider-man and so far, it's been great. Reading that series has sparked my interest in some Marvel characters and groups, particularly the X-Men and Avengers. What I really want to know is where should I start reading? I really want to understand how the x-men and avengers meet up without going back 50 years ago; something like a summary. Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

They met some time back in the 60s or 70s (and, of course, fought), if memory serves. Not sure about the circumstances, a little digging on your part should turn up results.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lateralus

For what you are looking for I would probably start with the Schism story arc which splits up the X-Men into 2 divisions (Wolverine's X-Men and Cyclops' X-Men). Prelude to Schism, Schism, and Generation Hope: Schism all of which can be found in TPB.

After that, X-Men: Regenesis titles.
X-Men Regenesis #1 (one shot), Avengers Academy #22, X-23 #17-19

Cyclops' X-Men titles: Uncanny X-Men volume 2 #1-3, X-Men volume 3 #20-23, Astonishing X-Men volume 3 #44-47, Generation Hope #12-15, New Mutants volume 3 #33-36, Magneto: Not a Hero #1-4, X-Club #1-5.

Wolverine's X-Men titles: Wolverine and the X-Men #1-4, X-Men: Legacy #259-260.1, Uncanny X-Force #19, X-Factor #230, Wolverine volume 4 #17-19.

As far as Avengers books go at that time that lead up to AvX, Avengers: X-Sanction which is available in TPB.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@preecer:

the X-men first meet the Avengers in The X-Men #9 - Enter, the Avengers! (Jan., 1965) and continue to run into them all through the 60's and 70's, most notably in Fantastic Four Annual #3 (1965)/ Marvels #2 - Monsters (1994) and The X-Men #45 - When Mutants Clash (1968).

in the 80's the two teams combined forces to fight in the classic Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (1984) and the less classic Secret Wars II (1985). Later the teams clash over Magneto's admission to the X-men in The X-Men vs. The Avengers (1987).

The 90's saw the teams together for their shared 30th anniversary in the Bloodlines (1993) and Onslaught (1996) crossovers, neither of which were particularly good.

Since then, they've both been part of pretty much every big event that Marvel puts out, most notably House of M (2005) -which was great- and Avengers Vs. X-Men (2012), which was not so great, but is still fairly relevant to the story of both teams.

Preecer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Preecer

Thanks for the replies guys. I would really want a bit of a list though. Something that'll guide me from House of M (or Schism) to the AvX event. I'm particularly interested in that even because I'm a huge fan of the Avengers and X-men and the story behind that sounds amazing (didn't spoil myself though, thank god). So yeah. What should I be reading in between House of M (or Schism), and AvX 2012? And after I read AvX I'll probably start reading the All New X-Men :)

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@preecer said:

Thanks for the replies guys. I would really want a bit of a list though. Something that'll guide me from House of M (or Schism) to the AvX event. I'm particularly interested in that even because I'm a huge fan of the Avengers and X-men and the story behind that sounds amazing (didn't spoil myself though, thank god). So yeah. What should I be reading in between House of M (or Schism), and AvX 2012? And after I read AvX I'll probably start reading the All New X-Men :)

House of M was 2005. It would be quite a long list from that to AvX. Schism is the 2011 event, much easier to catch up from there. Basically it goes Schism, Regenesis, AvX, AvX Consequences, and then you are into the current runs of X-Men comics.

Preecer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus: exactly what I needed. Thanks for the help.

holyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started from Claremont's run of X-Men. You can get them in Masterworks or Essentials and it's really good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.