What got you into X-Men?

• 111 results
#1 Edited by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

What story, character, moment, product, show, and/or person made you a X-Men fan?

#2 Posted by inkedvillan (10 posts) - - Show Bio

The Jim Lee run on Uncanny in the late 80s. Was the first comics I actually read instead of just looking at the pictures. It just had something different that all the other major titles didn't have at the time. That turned me on to the whole Claremont run as I got old enough to afford them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
#3 Edited by deactivated-5a162dd41dd64 (8662 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't even know anymore. Practically everything I loved about the series when I started reading it is either gone, ruined or just...stupid now. I don't feel the urge to keep up with the characters or stories like I used to, and I've forgotten what drew me to the team in the first place.

#4 Posted by Cloakx14 (9136 posts) - - Show Bio

X-men Tas.

#5 Posted by SoA (6246 posts) - - Show Bio

the 90s arcade game , TAS , and my godmother giving me a huge box of comics (the first appearance of sauron [both issues ])

#6 Posted by InfoMassive (20 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I think it was the marketing for the X-Men comics that got me interested, once I got a taste of some of the better stories I was HOOKED!

#7 Edited by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: :(....a lot has changed, both quality wise and in the over all family feel of the franchise so i can get where your coming from....but it still (sad face)

@infomassive - How so?

#8 Posted by Galerion (390 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I have never read comics as a kid or was interested in them. Anime on the other hand like Dragonball for example I watched regularly.

Of course I heard about the classical characters and I watched all the movies and liked them so I was looking more into the universe and stumbled on X-23 who I found interesting.

I bought and read her origin story and was instantly hooked to the character and then have bought basically every story/book she is in and Im loving it.

#9 Edited by StarWatcher (540 posts) - - Show Bio

My daddy is a HUGE fan of graphic novels, and comics but not usually super hero comics (he is fan of french Bande Dessinée mostly). However he does own a few Super Hero graphic novels, including classic X-men ones.

So this is how my comic book/X-men story went:

As a little girl I was not allowed to touch his books, but I always eyed them from a distance, because the covers were so attractive. One night I was left at home with a new baby sitter who had no idea so I walked right up to my dad's book shelves as if it was totally normal and picked out the one that I had been eyeing the most, the cover really REALLY intrigued me. It was God Loves Man Kills. :)

I remember it very clearly, it was not just my first X-men book but my first comic book altogether. Of course I didn't understand most of it hahaha, but I was fascinated.

As I got older I kept showing interest in my dad's graphic novels and eventually I started getting my own, sort of forgetting about the X-men and super heroes in general.

But I eventually went to a flea market where some old guy was selling a pack of X-men comics (in really bad conditions and all mixed up lol). I had a major flashback moment and bought it. Since they were from different series I started buying the previous and following issues, then new series from ads I saw in the comics, and so on... And later when I heard about Marvel Now just starting I decided to dive into the new X-men stuff too. And I am just recently starting to get involved in online comic book communities to expand my horizon.

And voila! To this day I read very little super hero comics other than X-books and the cross overs they imply. They just have a special spot in my heart haha, but I'm more oriented towards other styles of comics. :)

#10 Edited by KittyParker13 (3638 posts) - - Show Bio

Me: "Hey dad, I want to get more comics."

Dad: "Well, I'll buy you some X-men since that's a series I read as a kid and would like to read more of."

Me: "YES!!"

So he bought me the first seven X-men Essentials as we had found a great deal on Ebay.

#11 Posted by drowsap (39 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

This right here lol

#12 Posted by StarWatcher (540 posts) - - Show Bio

What about you Koays by the way? I hate it when people start a cool topic but don't share their own experience! XD

#13 Posted by darthphoenix (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

FAKE TRADING CARDS. Back in the 90's x-men got big in the Philippines. Fake trading cards of the x-men featuring the art of jim lee came out. kids who can't afford played with these fake cards all over the streets of Manila.

I used to go to an all boys catholic school where most of my schoolmates are well off. Kids in my school collected and traded the Original cards. I didn't eat on breaks just to save money and buy these cards. Not long after, I also got hooked on comics. All these was because I loved the art of JIM LEE. He's my hero. I would copy his artworks and he's been an inspiration and great influence in my art.

I truly learned to draw well because copying his artworks for a long time made me a good artist. I made comics of my own when I was in first year highschool. I was able to get into FINE ARTS in the best university in our country because i knew how to draw human(mutant) figures.

I would never forget what my profesor in Human Figure Drawing class said during our nude painting class...You should stop turning these models into X-MEN Characters. The boobs of the model is not that big, the waste is not that small and the legs are not that long. Repeat your drawing while you still have time. haha!

I LOVE YOU JIM LEE!

#14 Edited by StarWatcher (540 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthphoenix: Awww that's such a sweet story, I love it.

Having strong childhood bonds with things like this really affects who we are, doesn't it.

#15 Posted by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@starwatcher: lol, it can also be awkward when you create a post, share something and wake up and it's at the bottom of the forum....so sometimes I like to wait it out.

Honestly though, I vaguely remember seeing a page of the original X-factor in a public library, (I believe the issue where Cyclops called Maddie the first time). But it was ripped up and I was young and didn't think much of it because it was so different from TAS.

Fast forward a bit and I'm reading comics but only some DC stuff when I get some older X-men books, including some X-factor. I think "hey since I have these books I can keep up with the books as they come out now" -_- which was wrong and I was very misinformed going into New X-men. I put the books down when Jean died but was given a bunch of newer comics including one with Rachel Summers in....and that made me mad because I had no idea who that was. So like a mad young man I spent a couple years hunting down X-factor all the while following almost every current X-men title going at the time....so began the humble beginnings of Koays. (I eventually got X-factor and was driven insane when I realized Rachel was from an alternate future)

#16 Posted by StarWatcher (540 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Hahahaha yes, that extreme confusion and rage when you get comics in a random order and are SO confused by everything!! I feel ya. I experienced the same thing when I bought that pack of random 2nd hand X-men comics I talked about in my post. It made NO sense lol!

I guess the hunt for sense and more in the beginning is part of what gets us so interested though isn't it? Like putting together parts of a puzzle, it's so rewarding when you then re-read issues and go "Ooooh so that's what that was!". Good times. :)

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
#17 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (6361 posts) - - Show Bio

My older brother was really into Avengers and a couple of DC titles when I was younger. One day a comic book shop was opened right around the corner from my house I stopped in and grabbed a copy of something called New Mutants, and fell in love with Illyana Rasputin. New Mutants eventually led me to the Xmen and Jean Grey, after that I started to spend all my money getting back issues and current titles.

#18 Posted by Xwraith (36270 posts) - - Show Bio

The first two movies. I was aware of the X-Men before then, but that was my first real experience with them.

#19 Posted by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: Hahahaha yes, that extreme confusion and rage when you get comics in a random order and are SO confused by everything!! I feel ya. I experienced the same thing when I bought that pack of random 2nd hand X-men comics I talked about in my post. It made NO sense lol!

I guess the hunt for sense and more in the beginning is part of what gets us so interested though isn't it? Like putting together parts of a puzzle, it's so rewarding when you then re-read issues and go "Ooooh so that's what that was!". Good times. :)

Oh yea. There was a point when i started to read my books from the beginning just to figure things out better...and then reread it again because i was wrong about things. But it definitely gives you a better appreciation for the comics when you have to struggle to chase them down, and just when you think you understand how things work you find out there's MORE.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#20 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4701 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

What story, character, moment, product, show, and/or person made you a X-Men fan?

It was writers like Roy Thomas and Chris Claremont's creative direction, and strong collaboration with John Byrne, Neal Adams Jim Lee and others that really hooked me.

I first became an X-Men fan when the animated series came on during the '90s, but I quickly became a fan of the classic era when I was able to get a lot of cheap copies from my comic store and when I got an issue of Giant Size X-Men #1 for Christmas and the X-Men issue of "Marvels". The New Mutants further solidified my interest in X-Men, since this was the era where the characters freely interacted with each other, and writers would give characters thought balloons so you could see what each character's motivations were. Overall, the classic series presents the characters as being more thoughtful and introspective since you knew what their point of view was, and I really liked how different their setting was compared to the superhero teams. The various X-Men characters were more thoroughly tied in to a consistent, coherent history so it really felt as if the events that took place had meaning beyond Big Event after Big Event.

I think the older writers just had bigger ideas, in general, and weren't afraid to focus on the adventure in addition to the soap opera-type interpersonal drama whereas nowadays, the focus is heavily on the drama so the stories just feel smaller and more constrained.

And I really liked how the X-Men, in general, have had stronger roles for their female members with Marvel Girl, Polaris and Storm being treated as powerful and important, and just as potent if not moreso than their teammates. One of the first Classic issues I picked up was the battle against the Sentinels in X-Men #98, and two of my favorite characters, Jean and Sean, were heavily featured in it. I really liked their range of personalities, compared to the Avengers who were all action junkies.

#21 Posted by Veitha (4154 posts) - - Show Bio

New X-Men by Morrison, given to my by my cousin when I was like 12 years old. Previously I had only read Fantastic Four or classic Avengers stuff, and I found the X-Men being so interesting that I never stopped.

#22 Edited by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

It was writers like Roy Thomas and Chris Claremont's creative direction, and strong collaboration with John Byrne, Neal Adams Jim Lee and others that really hooked me.

I first became an X-Men fan when the animated series came on during the '90s, but I quickly became a fan of the classic era when I was able to get a lot of cheap copies from my comic store and when I got an issue of Giant Size X-Men #1 for Christmas and the X-Men issue of "Marvels". The New Mutants further solidified my interest in X-Men, since this was the era where the characters freely interacted with each other, and writers would give characters thought balloons so you could see what each character's motivations were. Overall, the classic series presents the characters as being more thoughtful and introspective since you knew what their point of view was, and I really liked how different their setting was compared to the superhero teams. The various X-Men characters were more thoroughly tied in to a consistent, coherent history so it really felt as if the events that took place had meaning beyond Big Event after Big Event.

I think the older writers just had bigger ideas, in general, and weren't afraid to focus on the adventure in addition to the soap opera-type interpersonal drama whereas nowadays, the focus is heavily on the drama so the stories just feel smaller and more constrained.

And I really liked how the X-Men, in general, have had stronger roles for their female members with Marvel Girl, Polaris and Storm being treated as powerful and important, and just as potent if not moreso than their teammates. One of the first Classic issues I picked up was the battle against the Sentinels in X-Men #98, and two of my favorite characters, Jean and Sean, were heavily featured in it. I really liked their range of personalities, compared to the Avengers who were all action junkies.

I'm with this.

I always hated the wordyness of older books, because it felt like it took forever to get from panel to panel. But if you can say anything about the X-Men today if it were handled by some of the old guard, it would be that characters (big, small, guest, main) would be characters, and no one would just be hanging around.

Even in Claremont's final Uncanny run, despite having a huge school setting with multiple different teams and characters sharing it, anyone who was in that book was an actual person who you didn't feel could be swapped out easily without notice. It's just a different style from today's "Same 6 X-Men" strategy where the same characters are everywhere but nothing makes them stand out from each other.

#23 Edited by Veitha (4154 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

@phoenixofthetides said:

@koays said:

I'm with this.

I always hated the wordyness of older books, because it felt like it took forever to get from panel to panel. But if you can say anything about the X-Men today if it were handled by some of the old guard, it would be that characters (big, small, guest, main) would be characters, and no one would just be hanging around.

Even in Claremont's final Uncanny run, despite having a huge school setting with multiple different teams and characters sharing it, anyone who was in that book was an actual person who you didn't feel could be swapped out easily without notice. It's just a different style from today's "Same 6 X-Men" strategy where the same characters are everywhere but nothing makes them stand out from each other.

same here. I don't like all those words but stories were indeed very cool.

#24 Posted by Ryagan (5298 posts) - - Show Bio

The movies got me into X-Men. When my mom and step dad were dating, my step dad thought it would be a good idea to watch X2: X-Men United with my mom, my brother, and me. I had no idea who the X-Men were, and I was a little lost when I watched the movie because because I hadn't seen the first one, so I didn't enjoy it much. I asked my step dad (who, at the time, was my mom's boyfriend) why we didn't watch the first one, and he said it was because it was just the characters getting to know one another and wasn't necessary to watch.

A few months later, I decided to watch the first X-Men and loved it. I then watched X2 again and loved it as well. I even enjoyed X3 when it came out. I then discovered my older brothers had some old VHS tapes of Pryde of the X-Men and X-Men: The Animated Series lying around. After about a year, however, I stopped watching X-Men stuff.

A few years later, I started getting into comics because my friend kept insisting I read them, and I remembered, "Oh, yeah, the X-Men are pretty cool." I then asked for The Dark Phoenix Saga for my birthday, and the rest is history.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#25 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays

@drowsap said:
Loading Video...

This right here lol

me too!!!! then after this was over i didnt get a comic until 2000 when the x-men movie came out. then it was around the time when jean died i quit x-men comics until i found out about hope summers(2010). Then i had to go to back issues starting with HoM and astonishing x-men. oh lol for the cartoon that has jean grey's codemane jean grey which it was in the 90's. Also the cartoon phoenix saga was better then the comics :)

Also i was going to quit comics after AvX because jean wasnt coming back but then bendis took over x-men and brought the O5 to the present. I dont know if i will continue comics after the O5 go back. I dont think i can stomach another year(s) of emmaXscott show

#26 Edited by Malachi_Munroe (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

These women..i LOVE them to death!

fell in love with Storm from Night of the sentinels, and i LOVED jean in the Phoenix saga ..she kicked a$$!

#28 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (8897 posts) - - Show Bio

@drowsap said:
Loading Video...

This right here lol

#31 Posted by Malachi_Munroe (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: funny thing is..I'm watching TAS right now lulz and i happen to be watching the dark phoenix saga.

#32 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Shebba (293 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything.

#34 Edited by Mrfuzzynutz (1624 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

It was this issue, this story and art were like nothing on the stands at the time. Spider-man has never been beat up like he was in this story line. This was back when he was in Marvel Team-Up, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends...putting the Friendly in the neighborhood...But to seem he shackled, and beaten half to death was A "WOAH! moment...

Back then you could subscribe and have the books sent to your house, so I was able to get Classic X-men and Uncanny X-men and I was fan ever since.

#35 Posted by 4U2NV (165 posts) - - Show Bio

The underwear my mamma bought me. Seriously, it was xm underwear. As a matter of fact, Cyclops was in it.

#36 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

@4u2nv said:

The underwear my mamma bought me. Seriously, it was xm underwear. As a matter of fact, Cyclops was in it.

lol

Avatar image for moonlighterstone
#37 Posted by Moonlighterstone (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@4u2nv said:

lol

I must confess... this is funny lol.

#38 Posted by Koays (8801 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@4u2nv said:

lol

I must confess... this is funny lol.

*flashback* (A young 4u2nv walks into a comicbook store) "Hey, that guys on my butt!!"

#39 Posted by darthphoenix (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

the animation of the 90's x-men cartoons was bad. It was REALLY big in our country. even adults talks about it. the cartoons was as big as storm and jean's hair

#40 Posted by Poze11 (121 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by numi (279 posts) - - Show Bio

Here I go dating myself... as a kid, I saw Giant Sized X-Men 1 on a magazine rack in the local handy store (kind of like a convenience store that also sells tools). Anyway, I saw the cover and flipped through it a few times before handing over my fifty cents. I didn't even make it home before I had read it several times and I was hooked. Those are still some of my favorite characters to this day.

#42 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
#43 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (4628 posts) - - Show Bio

@drowsap said:
Loading Video...

This right here lol

same here and I was the biggest Wolvie fan as a kid and than I just got hooked on comics

#44 Posted by deactivated-5a162dd41dd64 (8662 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (8442 posts) - - Show Bio

@squares: Trying to inspire you with x-men. :)

#46 Posted by DrF8 (3309 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the Uncanny X-Men written by Claremont & drew by John Byrne. I think it's one of the best creative Teams in the whole comic book history. They made their stories so epic & so great, inteligent. Certainly i loved the story arc with Moira Mctaggert's son, the X-Men/Alpha Flight first fights, the Phoenix Saga...so freaking great

#47 Posted by deactivated-5a162dd41dd64 (8662 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: It's not working, but then again I'm not sure why you thought it would- it's mostly a bunch of Jean and Cyclops stuff.

Now, if you wanted to inspire me with X-men, posting something from Second Coming might have worked. Think I might go re-read it, actually...

#48 Posted by mr_gone (260 posts) - - Show Bio

90's cartoon for sure. magneto mostly did it. followed closely by receiving x-force #1. Currently have a tattoo of magneto from the back pages of Magneto #0 :)

#49 Posted by Pikachunicorn (129 posts) - - Show Bio

I fell in love with Cyclops the moment I saw him in the movies (*blushes* I know, I suck) and so just fell into a HUGE Scott Summers obsession and it went on from there.

#50 Posted by Azalae (134 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Men TAS

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.