Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

What are your favorite current X-men books?

• 55 results
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

Poll What are your favorite current X-men books? (60 votes)

X-men 45%
    Uncanny X-men 33%
    All-new X-men 52%
    Astonishing X-men 12%
    Wolverine and the X-men 12%
    Ultimate Comics X-men 15%
    X-men Legacy 7%
    reprints and back issues? 15%

Vote for every book you're enjoying currently! You can vote for more than one book! Vote for them all, if you want!!

I noticed on some other polls that people always want to say what they're second and third favorite books are, so it seems like most X-fans here are usually reading and enjoying more than one book; this seemed like a better way to see what people really think the best current titles are, without having to limit your choices to just one book (though, I have limited it to just X-men books).

• 
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not going to lie, I like pretty much everything at the moment, even the past few issues of WaTXM.

X-Men Vol.4 is fantastic, Bendis' issues this week were great and Liu's Legacy is finally interesting me.

2013/Marvel NOW! is a good time to be an X-fan.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

X-Men vol. 4. The X-Men I fell in love with 10 years ago is back.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldnightcrawler

Not going to lie, I like pretty much everything at the moment, even the past few issues of WaTXM.

X-Men Vol.4 is fantastic, Bendis' issues this week were great and Liu's Legacy is finally interesting me.

yeah, I kind of agree with all of this. Really surprised how much I enjoyed Astonishing' #62 and 63. There are definitely books that interest me more than others, but all in all, I think the line as a whole has a nice amount of scope.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By McKlayn

yea the new Astonishing with Iceman were pretty interesting, and yea i can't lie i not digging Wolverine And The X men but other then that I sold atm lol

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

No Caption Provided

do you mean this team?

I only ask because I don't know anyone who started in this period.

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Disappointed that X-Factor was not listed among the choices.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointed that X-Factor was not listed among the choices.

There are two reasons I didn't list it; firstly because it's pretty much it's own thing at this point, distinct enough at least to not be compared to (other) X-men books, but also because it's ending soon

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: No X-Factor!? That series is awesome right now! It's ending, but very gracefully!

And I voted for the female-X-Men book, because the first two issues were AMAZING, art and all. And I also voted for Astonishing X-Men because although I was very critical of the transition of another Wolverine-team book and Northstar's marriage and Karma's story... the current story-arc is amazing and the art is very easy-on-the-eyes! And I also voted for reprints and older stories because they're something I can read over and over again that are classic reads! I was going to vote for All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men but I dropped those series a few weeks back (along with Uncanny X-Force) because it seemed to not go anywhere for the longest time and I just don't have enough $ to keep up with each title! So I'm sticking to the "independent" titles!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I voted for the female-X-Men book, because the first two issues were AMAZING, art and all. And I also voted for Astonishing X-Men because although I was very critical of the transition of another Wolverine-team book and Northstar's marriage and Karma's story... the current story-arc is amazing and the art is very easy-on-the-eyes! And I also voted for reprints and older stories because they're something I can read over and over again that are classic reads! I was going to vote for All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men but I dropped those series a few weeks back (along with Uncanny X-Force) because it seemed to not go anywhere for the longest time and I just don't have enough $ to keep up with each title! So I'm sticking to the "independent" titles!

Too bad, but I think I would have made the exact same decision. Wood may still be pretty fresh on the characters, and Astonishing is just starting to get good again, but both of these books are great right now, and definitely most satisfying what I like about X-men comics. And, yeah, I think the art on the current issues of Astonishing is really pleasing.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tossed a vote X-men's way. Dunno why the X-forces aren't listed as Cable's book is better than Uncanny and All New.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john_valentine said:

yeah, I kind of agree with all of this. Really surprised how much I enjoyed Astonishing' #62 and 63. There are definitely books that interest me more than others, but all in all, I think the line as a whole has a nice amount of scope.

I haven't enjoyed the X-line this much since between M-Day and Messiah Complex with Carey's X-Men, early X-Factor, New X-Men.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By John Valentine

Actually, I take back what I said earlier on about being happy across the line, Cable and X-Force and Uncanny X-Force are weak links, IMO.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tossed a vote X-men's way. Dunno why the X-forces aren't listed as Cable's book is better than Uncanny and All New.

The main reason I didn't include the X-force books (or X-factor) wasn't because I don't like them, I just think they're conceptually distinct enough to not have to be compared to X-men.

One of the things I was interested in seeing was which version of the X-men people are most into right now, so, if say, people are more into X-force than they are into the X-men, that doesn't really answer that question. X-force, by it's very nature, just is/should be something else besides what the X-men are.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rickbarry said:

The main reason I didn't include the X-force books (or X-factor) wasn't because I don't like them, I just think they're conceptually distinct enough to not have to be compared to X-men.

One of the things I was interested in seeing was which version of the X-men people are most into right now, so, if say, people are more into X-force than they are into the X-men, that doesn't really answer that question. X-force, by it's very nature, just is/should be something else besides what the X-men are.

And what both X-Force books are is disappointing, to me at least.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess uncanny or Wolverine and the x-men even though I usually skip buying them....

My most favorite though was defintly the original Uncanny X-men with Fantomex and Wolverine, and Deadpool, and Psylocke

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Uncanny X-Men and All-New-X-Men

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By papad1992

@papad1992 said:

Too bad, but I think I would have made the exact same decision. Wood may still be pretty fresh on the characters, and Astonishing is just starting to get good again, but both of these books are great right now, and definitely most satisfying what I like about X-men comics. And, yeah, I think the art on the current issues of Astonishing is really pleasing.

To be honest... the Astonishing title and the all-female X-Men title feel more cannon and act more "X-Men-ish" to me than both All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men combined.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

No Caption Provided

do you mean this team?

I loved that title, i own every issue ;D

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rickbarry

@oldnightcrawler: Meh, I still think you should put it up there. They're core X-titles and you skew the results if you just omit titles you don't like. 'Course, I dunno how many people would actually vote for it over X-men. It's trendy to like now. Where were all you band wagon people last year when this title didn't sell at all!? I was one of the eight people that bought it!

@john_valentine: It's fine you don't like it. I happen to think some of the other titles on the list are hot garbage, but I still think they should be listed!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest... the Astonishing title and the all-female X-Men title feel more cannon and act more "X-Men-ish" to me than both All New X-Men and Uncanny X-Men combined.

yeah, I know what you mean. I have been enjoying Bendis' X-men, but not really for the things I like about the X-men specifically. It's more like how I feel when I watch an X-men cartoon, like it's a stylized version of the X-men, for a different audience; I do like it, I just don't think of it as definitive.

Wood and Lui seem to have approaches more in line with Claremont or the early 90's writers, in terms of tone, pacing, and characterization, which to me is a more classic X-men vibe.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Meh, I still think you should put it up there. They're core X-titles and you skew the results if you just omit titles you don't like. 'Course, I dunno how many people would actually vote for it over X-men. It's trendy to like now. Where were all you band wagon people last year when this title didn't sell at all!? I was one of the eight people that bought it!

I think those books would skew the results to include; the purpose of this poll was to see which current X-men books people were digging, not whether or not people like X-force more than X-men. And I never said I didn't like X-force, I said,

meaning, to me, what makes X-force (or X-factor) interesting is that they aren't another version of the X-men, they're their own thing. Yes, the share a similar conceptual concept (that there are super-powered mutants), as well as some history, but ultimately, what has made every version of X-force (from Cable's to Wolverine's to the X-statics) distinct has been that they are fundamentally not the X-men.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@xwraith said:

No Caption Provided

do you mean this team?

Really tapered off towards the end, though!

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So tell me...what is this rationale? I mean Claremont was in from 76 to 91, you're cutting ALOT of years off there.

@xwraith said:

@oldnightcrawler: No, not at all. X2 got me into the (better) Claremont era.

you mean 1980-86, then..

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@chasereis said:

So tell me...what is this rationale? I mean Claremont was in from 76 to 91, you're cutting ALOT of years off there.

@oldnightcrawler said:

@xwraith said:

@oldnightcrawler: No, not at all. X2 got me into the (better) Claremont era.

you mean 1980-86, then..

he said the (better) Claremont era, so I guessed the best era Claremont wrote. Basically from Days of Future Past to the end of the Mutant Massacre.

My second guess would be when he was writing back-ups for his own stories in X-men Classic.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chasereis

@oldnightcrawler: Which just so happens to be the essential bulk of Classic X-Men and X-Men Classic ironically. I suppose your nothing if not consistent. Don't forget Annual 11, you know that is under your pillow at night. Please tell me you don't actually talk to it dude...

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: Which just so happens to be the essential bulk of Classic X-Men and X-Men Classic ironically. I suppose your nothing if not consistent. Don't forget Annual 11, you know that is under your pillow at night. Please tell me you don't actually talk to it dude...

it's more like whimpering through a ball-gag ;)

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By McKlayn

@mcklayn said:

@oldnightcrawler said:

@xwraith said:

No Caption Provided

do you mean this team?

Really tapered off towards the end, though!

yea it did, i have to admit that still the story where that guy (its been A LONG TIME since i read it so forgive my vagueness) was trying to invade earth and they put a force field around the island and only the x men could defend it, was pretty damn epic. Loved how so many got hurt and the team kind of changed afterwards, was really cool arc imo

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By John Valentine

@papad1992 said:

yeah, I know what you mean. I have been enjoying Bendis' X-men, but not really for the things I like about the X-men specifically. It's more like how I feel when I watch an X-men cartoon, like it's a stylized version of the X-men, for a different audience; I do like it, I just don't think of it as definitive.

Wood and Lui seem to have approaches more in line with Claremont or the early 90's writers, in terms of tone, pacing, and characterization, which to me is a more classic X-men vibe.

Absolutely! Wood's X-Men has that classic X-Men feel.

Breadspread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

From those I should say X-Men Legacy.I really like what is happening in the book and after it is the new X-Men of Wood.Great start of the series.

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: and suddenly I have a chilling realistic vision of that occurring. I couldn't get rid of the nausea so I ended eating saltines and drinking 7up all night, thanks.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By papad1992

@papad1992 said:

Exactly my point. The Cyclops Revolution/Wolverine's school is becoming a bit too old for my taste. Especially since they spend a total of 8 issues combined to tell one story that is paced a few hours apart! But now with Wood's new book and Astonishing's new direction, I feel like the concept and "feel" of the X-Men is starting to come back into the light!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exactly my point. The Cyclops Revolution/Wolverine's school is becoming a bit too old for my taste. Especially since they spend a total of 8 issues combined to tell one story that is paced a few hours apart! But now with Wood's new book and Astonishing's new direction, I feel like the concept and "feel" of the X-Men is starting to come back into the light!

Yeah, I'm certainly glad to have some more classic feeling X-men to read, but I do like different styles of comics too, so I think there's room for both.

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papad1992 said:

Yeah, I'm certainly glad to have some more classic feeling X-men to read, but I do like different styles of comics too, so I think there's room for both.

Well, we get variety, dont we? which is pretty much the main X-Men idea of diversity.

I like how Bendis (and surprisingly, Jason Aaron) is trying to go into unexplored territory, and if we feel the books are getting too alien and since comic book fans hate change (especially X-Men fans, who herald the 80s' Claremont run even if the current run is half decent), then we can always fall back on familiar ground, like Wood's X-Men. Or remind ourselves of the early noughties with Peter David's X-Factor.

Is Astonishing any good? I have been staying clear of it for a long while.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@tomchu said:

Well, we get variety, dont we? which is pretty much the main X-Men idea of diversity.

I like how Bendis (and surprisingly, Jason Aaron) is trying to go into unexplored territory, and if we feel the books are getting too alien and since comic book fans hate change (especially X-Men fans, who herald the 80s' Claremont run even if the current run is half decent), then we can always fall back on familiar ground, like Wood's X-Men. Or remind ourselves of the early noughties with Peter David's X-Factor.

Is Astonishing any good? I have been staying clear of it for a long while.

It's been up and down since Lui took over, but I wholeheartedly recommend the current arc. Issues 62 and 63 have been a blast, and I really can't wait to see what happens next.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@breadspread said:

@oldnightcrawler: I don't care about your "rules". X-factor.

just out of curiosity (and to be bumpin' this thread), have you actually been reading any of the current X-men books or just X-factor?

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's barely even an X-Book. Doesn't really deal with mutant affairs, for the past three and a half years (save for the SC tie-in) it's been pretty much about magic, just featuring borderline X-characters. Hasn't been linked to the main stories of the X-titles on the whole.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@breadspread said:

It's barely even an X-Book. Doesn't really deal with mutant affairs, for the past three and a half years (save for the SC tie-in) it's been pretty much about magic, just featuring borderline X-characters. Hasn't been linked to the main stories of the X-titles on the whole.

yeah, it was really only about the mutant stuff around crossovers, mostly.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel pretty confident that there's gotta be more than 35 people reading X-men comics around here..

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

My second guess would be when he was writing back-ups for his own stories in X-men Classic.

Honestly I haven't read much Classic because I grew up in a household with all the old issues. Would the back ups be worth picking up some back issues of Classic?

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@knighthood: the backups are from the first 44 issues of Classic X-Men (before it became X-men Classic). The stories mostly revolve around what the X-men were doing between the missions of the reprinted stories; for example, the backup for the first issue takes place the night that the old and new X-men return from Krakoa, and examines the tensions between the two groups that leads to the original members leaving in the next issue.

If you're already familiar with the X-men of the late 70's, you probably have realized just how little down-time the team had in those days (when the team was still mostly a fairly traditional superhero group), at times being away for several missions at a time before eventually even getting to go home. These backups really help flesh out the characters and the relationships between them that may have only been loosely implied in the original stories.

In my mind, the backup stories are as good, if not better, than the feature stories being reprinted. The art in them is rarely anything special, but the characterization that Claremont would become famous for in the 80's (when Classic X-men also started) is in full force here, giving us a reason to really identify with the characters beyond their colorful adventures. Though they weren't printed until the mid 80's, these are probably my favorite X-men stories of the 70's.

So, basically, yeah, if you can find them for not too much, I'd definitely recommend picking them up, even above getting the originals or trade reprints of that era.

One of my personal favorites is the Big Dare!, from Classic X-Men #4 - Night of the Demon!, which shows, chronologically, the beginnings of Nightcrawler and Wolverine's legendary friendship. Just amazing stuff.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I have many of the originals already, but some newer additions and cover art would be nice. Plus I'd feel more comfortable reading the reprints than the originals. I'll check them out.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I have many of the originals already, but some newer additions and cover art would be nice. Plus I'd feel more comfortable reading the reprints than the originals. I'll check them out.

Yeah, see that's an interesting thing in itself: the backups are actually only available in these reprint books, but there's no reprints of the backups.. so despite being character defining, cannon stories, they're actually harder to come by than the original comics, which have mostly been reprinted several times over. If they were available in trades or something, I would definitely get them. Or a big omnibus of just the backup stories, even.

Avatar image for baberaham_lincoln
    Baberaham_Lincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny cause of Bachalo and Cyclops... hehe. Not many like Bachalo, but i enjoy the shit out of his work =D

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baberaham_lincoln: Sharing that I hate Bachalo seems an appropriate way to waste my 1,000th post. I actually did like him on Generation X, but after seeing his art on W&tXM my opinion of his sharply dropped. I'm not certain why.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All New X-Men is the only one I have any interested in.

Uncanny cause of Bachalo and Cyclops... hehe. Not many like Bachalo, but i enjoy the shit out of his work =D

Does that book focus on Cyke?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.