Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Uncanny X-Men V5 Annual #1- Return of Cyclops thoughts/spoilers

• 82 results
    Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

Eh Em....so? what'd you think

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Disappointed but expected.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

have not read it yet, hopeful atm

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its was ok.........i guess they wanted to rush that hes back and im all for it.........glad it didnt drag on for 4 or 5 issues

@pyrofn going to be mad scott wanted to run off and find jean <3 jott-4-ever

i give it 4 out of 5.......

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was Scott's line in PR #5.

No Caption Provided

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7 god_spawn  Moderator

You know what? I liked it. Cyclops is back. It's our dude. He gets his young self's memories but doesn't really act like Tyke. He's stepping up to save the when the other X-Men fell. I think the way they went about bringing him back fit in the continuity. It wasn't overly dramatic but played off well. My real deep opinion on stuff, I will put in spoilers because some Cyclops fans might be more triggered. So here we go.

My only issue with the writing was the dig at Emma in Kid Cable's little rant, but that was it because Scott said nothing about her. It's him. The beach scene was ok. I think Scott saying he was wrong was handled ok. He basically said he got so caught up and angry at their species being on the brink of extinction that he was kind of blinded by that fact. And now the X-Men are gone and he is going to rebuild the team and set things right. So here is my problem with this. We have one issue out, and I went and unfortunately checked the CBR forum, which I know some of you guys post here and there, but this fandom disappointed me because Rosenberg said somethings about Scott gaining access to the PF and he was wrong and blah blah, but in the meantime, he goes in interviews and him and Brisson actually manage to understand Cyclops really well. I may disagree with that stance on Scott being wrong, but in turn it's more of Scott's self-realization that the road he took and the way things turned out didn't work. And here is this section of the Cyclops fandom completely turning on this guy, who will be our Cyclops writer and just in the preview issue alone has him with a sweet beard and beating up some dudes then goes to get some coffee. So Scott realizes things are in a bad spot, but here is once again at square one to rebuild the team and get back to basics and try again. Yet here we have a decent amount of fans saying he's a crybaby this issue, when he did no such thing except say he was wrong? And is immediately going back to work to save the world and the team? Such a crybaby.

So going forward, we have Scott on a good team, a good team of writers and these guys are putting the X-Men back as a family and are narritively doing it well. It may not be the best, but they are doing it well. And all I see for 5 pages on a forum and some other sites with people doing nothing but complaining because it doesn't follow their own head canon. And if it doesn't follow their own headcanon it automatically sucks, screw the writers, and I'm going to write a mean tweet about it, or make an angry instagram post and if we don't get our way, well me and my friend Mark are gonna riot. This fandom is fickle, don't support the book, don't spend the money, keep your opinions to yourselves then. In the meantime, my boy is back, he is taking charge, and he is back to doing what he does best, saving the day.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it, overall pretty satisfied....partly disappointed we have yet more phoenix shenanigans, but on the plus side it looks it was mostly just used to quickly get the explaination for how he's back out of the way so that we could get to the deeper character stuff, which I do appreciate.

I did enjoy his bit of introspection on what he was like before he died. I greatly enjoyed his more revolutionary outlook, feeling like he had started walking a more middle path between Magneto's warmonger mentality and Xaviers restrained patience. He was not looking for superiority to start a war with mankind, but he would likewise not tolerate outright attacks against his people. I felt that kind of leadership was exactly what mutant kind needed in that dire decimation era world, I still feel that way.

However, looking at the scenario kid-cable put in front of him...save an innocent human man, or help the gathered X-Men, Decimation and revolutionary Scott would not have hesitated to ignore the individual in order focus on the bigger threat. This Scott, the one closer to the younger self that he just inherited all the new memories of, went to play the hero to the person who would otherwise not have had a chance. And I find that even though I probably would have viewed the decision to try to assist with a larger threat that affected more people as morally right and justified...I still found myself liking that he went to play the hero rather than the soldier.

Which I think is really what this is. Scott of Decimation and Revolution era was playing the general/soldier. The world from decimation on had been literally out to get them, and the situation demanded a more hardline stance. But when things calmed down, he wasn't able to stop. The stuff he was fighting against during the revolution was the same general hatreds and issues that had always plagued mutants, but he was still looking at it as a war. He came to his senses at the end with the march on DC...but then we got Secret wars and he died immediately after.

So overall....I liked it. Looking forward to seeing him actually mend the bridges. I don't think it will be to hard though. Jean didn't seem to carry a grudge even though she knew everything that went down. Beast seems to have mellowed and realized he himself went to far with things. Logan was dead

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

This was Scott's line in PR #5.

No Caption Provided

im talking about cable and scott chat........scott said something like "u cant keep me here like a prisoner" "i have to go see jean"

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Oh my. That sounds terrible.

I loved this issue and Scott in this issue. It was handled gracefully and powerfully in most parts of the issue.

I only have some critiques that are nitpicks more. Not even that many. People are slotted to an opinion, but serious, these band wagoners sound like their overreacting.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 god_spawn  Moderator

@pyrofn: There is a difference to me, at least, than your specific opinion vs this hive mind bullshit. I’m ok with people not caring for it, but Jesus 6 pages at least of complaining? Why?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordMordor: 1) I mean, at least they are being creative in using the giant cosmic spicy chicken wings. The Phoenix stuff feels more personal, grounded without diluting the cosmic nature of the Force and usingnit simply because they has no way out of it.

There were a zillion explanations they could have used, but they didn’t change continuity, they played with new ideas, and it was believable enough to accept easily, unlike a certain cosmic inhuman and gone now. Good riddance.

2) Ergo why villainizing him after AvX was so stupid, especially with the Phoenix closely involved. Before that, yeah, he was kind of going off the rails, but only in personal respects, not full-on villain monologue, fear me humans!

3) That’s good way of looking at it that I didn’t get. I still liked the moment, but I didn’t get why he chose one over the other. I figured maybe he was better needed maybe since there was less of a chance that his help would’ve been for not against Nate. Now I get it and love it!

4) I wish something came of his Revolution rather than Scott giving it up. At least take the team into a different direction like he will do now. Better late than never.

5) We will get Logan’s side of things, but it seems to have gone well if Logan joins Scott. I still wish there was more closure for all that happened, but we can’t always have what we want and there were more important things to get to.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PyroFN

@hopesummersforthefuture: Not mad. I actually understand. He remembers what happened in Phoenix Resurrection. That still doesn’t guarantee a relationship.

Edit: Also, he chose a man over Jean.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Art was good.....

The pacing was great in my opinion. Kinda glad this wasn't long and drawn out. They got to the point and told a story within the pages which hasn't been done in a long time in Marvel's books. This same story would have usually been told over at least 4-6 issues. Getting it done and moving on is a trend in the right direction in my opinion because not everyone story has to be a 6-10 issue long arc with a while bunch of filler. A lot happened within the pages including pretty decent dialogue and a story pretty easy to follow...in other words you didn't have to go to a message board to understand what the hell just happened. And as I mentioned the art didn't suffer either.

While I'm not a fan of his pushing the while Kid Cable thing or the Phoenix stuff (because I have sneaking suspicion that this is not the end of the Phoenix angle) I think Brisson showed some promise with this. I've largely ignored him because of certain things he seems hell-bent on pushing but if he plans to write concise stories and do what he can to clean up the Xmen and get it back to what it should be then I'll consider retracting my original ideas about him.

A few issues here:

More Phoenix stuff and making Kid Cable such a big thing definitely doesn't sit well. Kid Cable is just distasteful for whatever reason. But so is most stuff with Cable.

There are far more interesting and complex ways to bring Scott back in opinion. Just have him recharge and reboot essentially the same way but without the flaming chicken device. Or

play the magic role and have I don't know Magik do it or have Maddie Pryor do it, which would have probably been a mini but still. Or it could have been so much simpler to have Elixir bring him back, hell they could have made the Academy X kids a thing again by having someone like Surge leading the charge and saying that this wasn't the Scott who trained them and taught them. Or the New Mutants with Dani doing it which could have lead to her and Magik and the others joining him. This could have set up a sustainable narrative going forward for the New Mutants in their own ongoing. Especially with the little speech about what kind of man Scott would be. That would fit just fine.

I do take some issue with throwing Emma under the bus and Scott saying he was wrong. But that's just wording. I still think his stance should be no tolerance for extinction of mutants.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By ursaber

@mcklayn: @mrnihal: @LordMordor: @pyrofn: @god_spawn: @hawk2916: @koays:

I thought it was great, as good if not better than Phoenix Resurrection.

I like the story they came up to bring him back, I like how they worked within the timeline of events to bring him back (when Emma kept his real body) and the villain and civilian woven into his resurrection as past and future events.

I liked how nifty and focused the entire story was.

-

@hopesummersforthefuture: yup, Jean and Scott will definitely get back together now. How soon or how long does not matter, but rather that they will.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: we have to wait till july if/when the x-men come back from "age of x-man" ......scott already on a quest to "find the x-men" LOL

@pyrofn: yeah but he asked for jean and no emma..........not even jean and/or emma .....XD XP

@hawk2916:dude relax........kid-cable bad mouthing emma is nothing more then divorce kids acting out (wanting there parents back together, blame the "interloper" ).........this is jean and scott's kid after all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916:dude relax........kid-cable bad mouthing emma is nothing more then divorce kids acting out (wanting there parents back together, blame the "interloper" ).........this is jean and scott's kid after all

He really should be badmouthing jean first.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@mrnihal: @hopesummersforthefuture: He still chose a married man over her.

he must have been closer to the guy where jean was located far away in Canada XP XP

2) cable loves jean and thinks of her as his mother

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say I loved see that Scott refers to his meeting with Jean as a dream and then he just wanted to see her.

No Caption Provided

scott looks different without his glasses......i dont like it , he almost looks like hank LOL @pyrofn@ursaber

im going to update my profile pic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:
    @pyrofn said:

What?

lol pyrofn implies scott gay

but for real, scott choose to save that guy from boston instead of helping jean/x-men vs x-man(nate) LOL *wink wink*

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:
    @pyrofn said:

What?

lol pyrofn implies scott gay

but for real, scott choose to save that guy from boston instead of helping jean/x-men vs x-man(nate) LOL *wink wink*

The man was a guy who saved his life and was literally defenseless whereas Jean could handle herself and had the whole of the X-Men on her side.

A hero would have helped the defenseless and that's what Cyclops did. Jean would have done the same. It does not diminish respect or love for the other.

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say I loved see that Scott refers to his meeting with Jean as a dream and then he just wanted to see her.

No Caption Provided

scott looks different without his glasses......i dont like it , he almost looks like hank LOL @pyrofn@ursaber

im going to update my profile pic

I long to see Scott without his glasses. He would have permanent red eyes trying to keep his optic blasts in check.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Koays
    @pyrofn said:

He still chose a married man over her.

Kid Cable: Nows the real test dad. Are you going to save the X-Men and let one man die or save one man and let the X-Men die.

Scott: Ha! That's where your wrong Nathan! The X-Men are a powerful team of experienced superheroes. The worlds best. Legion and X-Man all rolled into one VS Jean Grey and every X-Man on the planet? Well your brother better pray for help, because after I save this one dude, I'm going to help them mop up what evers left of those two Omega level toddlers.

* 15 minutes later *

Scott: Their all dead???

Kid Cable: Well yea. I told you you had to make a choice.

Scott: I thought I had more then 5 minutes before they all got killed!!

Kid Cable: It was a either or decision. A real life altering, one life against the world, needs of the many out way the needs of the few moment. You get it right?

Scott: *stares* WHAT THE F$&# NATHAN!!! What if I had to use the bathroom?!? I mean jeez couldnt you have gave me more then 15 minutes before they were completely wiped out!!? I mean it was one optic blast, and a goodbye. HOW LONG DOES A BODYSLIDE TAKE???

Kid Cable: Woah firstly, your the one that wanted to finish your marathon. Secondly I had this whole big "Cyclops saves day" moment where you descend from the clouds with a chariot and depower Nate with the mutant cure and all the X-Men cheer you on an declare you their leader....

Cyclops- And what happened?

Kid Cable- Well we lost like 10 minutes in bodyslide traffic behind Deadpool. And while we were waiting Nate tried to drown mom so the first chance she got she gave him all the worlds suffering or something. Things escalated pretty quickly from there...and then you know...another 20 minutes of Deadpool traffic getting here. Plus you know how bad service service is on the beach....took me a while to get a signal.

Cyclops- *stares solemnly*

Kid Cable- You ok?

Cyclops- .......

*20 minutes of silence later*

Cyclops-....Son.

Kid Cable- Yea?

Cyclops- F@$& Beaches.

Kid Cable- Thats my Dad!

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I'm completely relaxed and don't worry I didn't say anything against your precious Jott. Again the dialogue was off and I pointed it out... everything is not about comparing Emma and Jean

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ursaber: yeah to each his own. It wasn't a bad story at all and like I said the pacing was spot on. Just using the Phoenix yet again and time traveling kid Cable is a bit of a problem. But considering the cards dealt and making lemonade out of lemons or tuning sh@t to sugar if you will....it was a solid effort

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ursaber

@hawk2916 said:

@ursaber: yeah to each his own. It wasn't a bad story at all and like I said the pacing was spot on. Just using the Phoenix yet again and time traveling kid Cable is a bit of a problem. But considering the cards dealt and making lemonade out of lemons or tuning sh@t to sugar if you will....it was a solid effort

I agree on using the Phoenix as an over used method of resurrection.

But what do you mean lemonade from lemons and shit to sugar?

To me, dealing with what they had to, they made a very good and solid story that to Jean Grey was over blown into a 5 part mini series yet with Cyclops it only took one and it was better.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 god_spawn  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you all notice Storm is in the fight scene panel twice lol! Storm is there and horseman Storm is also there. Also, it shows Jean once again matching up against Nate which obviously she is doing decently at seeing as to how she is standing her ground when he has already been shown capable of easily blasting everyone away so good for her

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could Scarlet Witch just do us a favor and say, "No more Phoenix!" cuz I'm just tired of it. It can do anything. It reveals an obvious absence of creativity. I know Kid Cable used just a teeny tiny bit, but come on!

That aside, the issue wasn't bad. The art was wonderful. Excellent line work, beautiful colors, dramatic highlights and precise perspectives and proportions. I'm trying to get used to the idea of Kid Cable...it just seems really dumb...Oh! But what if he runs into Hope, who his older self raised...and they fall in love? Whaaaaa?

Soooooo, now Scott has a Phoenix powered pacemaker? Cool, cool.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HAWK2916

@ursaber: that's exactly what I mean they made a solid story with the cards they we're dealt. Working with the mess that the Marvel landscape has become, the writer was able to come up with a solid story within the pages of one book and not a bloated unnecessarily drawn out mini.

But more accurately...

Using the Phoenix = Shit

Kid Cable = Shit

Time Travel = Shit

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: @pyrofn i found another mistake......(besides the two storms in one panel thing))

looks like jean is the one saying "i thought of u everyday" where scott is supposed say that cause jean was dead......anyone see that???

Also i dont like kid-cable either......rather have regular old classic cable ............kid-cable is acting like a frustrated teenager, very unprofessional

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could Scarlet Witch just do us a favor and say, "No more Phoenix!" cuz I'm just tired of it. It can do anything. It reveals an obvious absence of creativity. I know Kid Cable used just a teeny tiny bit, but come on!

That aside, the issue wasn't bad. The art was wonderful. Excellent line work, beautiful colors, dramatic highlights and precise perspectives and proportions. I'm trying to get used to the idea of Kid Cable...it just seems really dumb...Oh! But what if he runs into Hope, who his older self raised...and they fall in love? Whaaaaa?

Soooooo, now Scott has a Phoenix powered pacemaker? Cool, cool.

lol ........poor scott .........first he had a bomb planted in his heart from bastion in the 90's and now this.......im confused if a little piece of the phoenix is in scott, can scott be phoenix again???

@koays@pyrofn

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: What @koays said. You can’t kill the Phoenix conventionally.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: I believe @mrnihal pointed it out to you. Your response was something akin to, “I wasn’t talking about that.”

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By PyroFN

@hopesummersforthefuture: Oh yes, to answer the ‘Can Scott be Phoenix with that piece’ question, I point you to Madelyne Pryor and Emma Frost And Teen Jean:

•Madelynes piece gave her life, but it did not give her Phoenix powers, as of evidence by virtue of the lack of Phoenix showings, plus Jean couldn’t fly in space unaided or breathe when she took Madelynes piece.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ea/16/e1/ea16e180b6b9521b90bc786f50fa17db.png

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/6B8-_1EDfshFkOApyp0rQJ8hq4xG5Ump93kLNQMtBHnYMebaAesdtb9nSZcZL4nVho_NFRXh5KeW=s1600

•Emma Frosts Phoenix piece is enough to give her an addicting feeling, but not enough to give her Phoenix abilities.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MhMDt1Ypyyc/WlN_bkGATjI/AAAAAAAA_Es/4KbmbaFelxEOjv4OYIhog7lZ09ekbneUgCHMYCw/s1600/RCO013.jpg

•Teen Jean is the one case where we could possibly claim that Phoenix abilities are possible, but it requires feeding said piece. She didn’t explicitly gain Phoenix powers, but hints of it are in the way she feared up as it consumed her psychic energy and a moment where Teen Jean destroys an illusion of a planet in the White Hot Room.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0npOTIboF7A/WlN_drRGlEI/AAAAAAAA_E8/MsYLTYCR16gmAx5Uobqo9eXoqDAY1riiwCHMYCw/s1600/RCO016.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-dCLjl8u33h0/WnICu5yD25I/AAAAAAAAGZ8/4MQuemy56pAi4ZR_xYYh45SJ0hjT1F76QCHMYCw/s1600/RCO022.jpg

Answer: It’s possible under very special circumstances.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: the second last pic didnt show......

but i dont think marvel will go there with scott becoming phoenix again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hopesummersforthefuture: That PF pacemaker can definitely be a plot point going forward.I mean that thing is still inside him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't need to be revisited again though. If this how he came back then..... whatever. But they should leave well enough alone and just move on

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Kid Cable's badgering of the o5.

He was basically "Why were they here in the first place?? "What idiot let them stay here?!" "I literally murdered myself for letting them stay here for so long!!"

I felt like that was supposed to be somewhat meta.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: Quote from AiPT!.

“Jean and Scott are a mess.”

LOL but its the only chance for Rachel to be born in 616 LOL @koays

but seriously how mad would fans be if scott wanted to see emma instead of jean????? its like the other fan said about "if jean comes back.........scott would be like "emma who?!??!!? i dont know any emma!!!" LOL

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By PyroFN

@hopesummersforthefuture: Rachel is perfect the way she is. She is unique and no other Rachel is like her. Therefore, leave Rachel out of this! @koays

From what I can tell, it’s divided, but the ones that matter seem to want Scott and Jean. (Aka writers. Hopefully not immediately)

Also, Jean would say, “She’s the crazy you were with while I was dead. Handle that biz while I go do what I do best.”

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.