Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

The greatest psychics, most notably reality warpers

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Who do you guys think are the greatest MUTANT reality warpers (or psychics including teleportation, telekinesis, telepathy, flight etc). I've been trying to come up with a list of my own. I've seen a few other lists and I think mine may be just a slight different, but maybe just specious thinking. In no particular order:

Legion (at full combined power)

Dark Phoenix

White Phoenix of the Crown

Scarlet Witch (House of M)

Franklyn Richards

Matthew Mallow

The Marquis of Death (Clyde Wyncham)

Mad Jim Jaspers

Molecule Man

What do you guys think? I'm so fascinated to hear what you have to say about these characters, and who you think are the greatest and why.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry, I'm not sure if I was supposed to post this as a question (im new lol). I thought a great discussion and debate would be fun.

These characters fascinate me so much

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Matthew Malloy shouldn't be on this list. He doesn't actually have any real reality warping feats.

Proteus...Monarch...Nate Grey especially with the Lifeseed....Rachel Summers as Mother Askani....Mr. M. ....arguably full power Cable.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can say most Phoenix hosts qualify for the list.

I am pretty sure Cyttorak technically counts as a reality warper.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I'm so profoundly interested in psychic powers, especially those of Jean Grey and Legion. I've seen you also enjoy discussions on psychics. What are your thoughts on those characters? I have yet to read all the material on them. Same with Franklin Richards, he and Legion don't seem to appear that often.

Side question: Who do you think are the most powerful psychics, and what makes you believe that, like what feats of power. I'm very interested in your opinion on this.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Matthew Malloy shouldn't be on this list. He doesn't actually have any real reality warping feats.

Malloy only appeared in one story right? All I remember is him causing mad destruction. If I remember right he couldn't control his powers? My memory is hazy

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1 said:
    @koays said:

Malloy only appeared in one story right? All I remember is him causing mad destruction. If I remember right he couldn't control his powers? My memory is hazy

basically....

He blew up part of a town, killed Exodus with telepathy and survived a missile strike.....but otherwise wasn't really impressive even compared to people who didn't (and prob shouldnt) make this list like Savior Cable or Mr. M.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Do you know what comic issue Malloy appeared in? I'm watching these videos online about beyond-omega level psychic mutants lol

I cant believe I forgot Mr. M! It's been years since I heard his name

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1: Its Uncanny X-Men v3...around the Will of Xavier so somewhere in the late 20s of that run.

Although I'd advise against watching those "beyond omega" videos since most times the makers just dont know what their talking about.

I mean...Jamie Braddock can literally pull the strings of reality and invade the realm of Cosmic entities casually.... Matthew Malloy's best feat is teleporting people.....but the internet videos tend to be poorly researched and omit things like Bendis himself saying he only needed a generic threat and the X-Men (and everyone else) acting as though they havent seen powerful reality warpers.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1 said:

@pyrofn: I'm so profoundly interested in psychic powers, especially those of Jean Grey and Legion. I've seen you also enjoy discussions on psychics. What are your thoughts on those characters? I have yet to read all the material on them. Same with Franklin Richards, he and Legion don't seem to appear that often.

Side question: Who do you think are the most powerful psychics, and what makes you believe that, like what feats of power. I'm very interested in your opinion on this.

.....A very good question and very loaded one at that. I don’t represent the majority, but I have my own opinions. With that in mind, I think I will bring in others as well to speak their minds about this, if it’s alright. Note I won’t really include reality warpers, but I will mention off-hand the psychics with reality warping.

@del_torro:, @koays:, @professorrespect:, @marvelfan1992: I know he may not have asked you, but I know you all are just about as knowledgable as I am, some if possibly even more.

I also recommend looking through the Psychic Respect Thread List to look over who you are most curious about in depth, since there is a lot of history that I can’t cover in a simple summary. These threads were compiled by a number of individuals devoted on looking through the psychics issue by issue in comics and noting them at their best.

Psychic Respect Thread List

That out of the way, who do I think are the top psychics? That question comes in two categories: God Tier and High Tier.

God Tier Psychics are basically the psychics who operate outside the realm of possibility, performing feats that border on reality warping with power outclassing your average high tier.

These individuals are the Phoenix Force (and its hosts), Nate Grey, Legion, most cosmic beings and gods, and Savior Cable.

•The Phoenix is the nexus of all psionic energy that does, will ever, and has existed in the multiverse. Note that not every host of the Phoenix has access to its full power and the Phoenix Force itself is a very vulnerable entity without a host. As far as who is the most powerful avatar/host, only Jean Grey herself has ever accessed the full potential of the Phoenix, with Rachel Summers coming in the closest after Jean.

•Nate Grey, after the Phoenix, is who I presume is the most powerful god-tier personally. Genetic offspring of Jean Grey and Scott Summers creates by AoA Sinister, he by far has the most feats and statements operating at a god-tier level. His downfall is that he has intervals where he burns out, he lacks experience compared to your average high tier, and his current incarnation is amped by an alternate object. With that in mind, if you were to look at his RT, you could clearly see a collection of feats that tell full well where his potential would take him if his powers were to stabilize and not kill him/ disappear on him when the plot sees fit.

•Legion is who aims say is next in line. Son of Charles Xavier, this particular Omega has the ability to generate any power at an Omega Level, including Telepathy and Telekinesis. His comparisons telepathically are usually scaled off Xavier and his tk has taken on entire teams of X-Men with minimal difficulty. His downfall comes in the form of his multiple personality disorder, where every power is stuck to a certain personality. There have been times in his history where an outside source regulated his powers to one single personality, usually for malicious reasons. These times characterize David as an unstoppable force.

•I won’t go into depth on the gods and cosmic entities, since it’s too broad of a category to name. But know that it is these individuals that dictate the forces of nature across different dimensions and universe that give this tier its name.

•Savior Cable is noted as Cable’s most powerful form, where the Techno Organic Virus doesn’t overtake his entire system, thereby forcing him to use his powers overall to thwart its threats against his life. With this limitation gone, Cable is seen producing planet-wide telepathic feats as he simultaneously produces high level tk feats, such as levitating an entire city while he uses his telepathy.

The next category, high tier psychics, are basically the tier where you have the best of your average psychics. These psychics include individuals like Charles Xavier, Emma Frost, Jean Grey, Rachel Summers, Cassandra Nova, Shadow King, and Exodus.....fine, I guess Quentin Quire is also named, but he is....a loaded subject.

•Jean Grey currently is considered in canon as the most powerful telepath on the planet with high order telekinesis. Her best telepathy feat has her producing psionic illusions across the planet as a subconscious cry for help while her conscious mind is amnesiac and trapped by the Phoenix Force. Add her telekinesis to the mix where she goes from using telekinesis from far distances to powerful shields to molecular tk. The downfall is that Jean’s feats are rather....passive. Jean’s approach is usually with non-lethal methods, which usually go against her when the enemy in question is willing to kill.

•Charles Xavier is the next land is usually the contender who people side with if they don’t believe Jean is the most powerful. It’s a fair assessment since he was the one who held that title before Jean for the longest time, giving him all-around more feats comparatively and even having direct telepathy feats off of Jean herself to propel his claim to fame. The downfall is that he lacks telekinesis feats. He is in fact, barely getting any to begin with these days, making him solely rely on his telepathy for reasons why he is a top psi.

•Shadow King is a rival to Xavier, constantly the one engaging in battle with Xavier and planning ways to get around him. He has direct global feats and multiple instances of psychics below Xavier succumbing to Shadow King’s Power. Problem? He fluctuates heavily and mostly relies on planning and scaling to Xavier. Also, his telekinesis, like Xavier’s, is basically non-existent in most stories, making him solely rely on telepathy feats that are subpar to begin with when they don’t involve Xavier.

•Cassandra Nova is another one would consider a rival to Xavier, though in a less direct way. Granted, she has antagonized Xavier before, but she is less reliant on Xavier and more about causing mayhem to everyone else. She even has telekinesis feats that compete with Jean Grey herself and telepathy feats compared directly to Jean, making her an incredible threat as psi. This is due to the fact that Nova copied Charles Xavier‘s DNA to mimic his psychic abilities, which make her so much of a threat that even a psychic on Cerebro aren‘t safe from her, despite literally having a global amp to their powers. The downfall is that her best feats are reliant mostly on possession and less on actual telepathic feats. She also suffers from a case of scaling to Xavier, like Shadow King, to get her by.

•Emma Frost, by far the most skilled telepath even compared to the likes of Xavier. With power rivaling Xavier, she has the most varied feats of any high tier, with the best claim of thinking outside the box with more difficult enemies comparatively to Xavier‘s usual overpower them. She has feats off of perhaps every high tier on the list, except Shadow King. Her problem is that she is directly compared to Xavier before and considered less powerful. Not only that, but she is only a mere telepath. No tk to help her case in this contest.

•Rachel Summers is Jean Grey’s alternate universe daughter, with the same powerset of telepathy and telekinesis. She has statements directly from Xavier claiming her to be one of the most powerful telepaths outside of himself, being considered more of a threat than one of the Phoenix Five. Not only that, but her feats regarding telekinesis seem to trump Jean’s in deadliness, going for blowing peoples heads off, molecular tk for a form of attack on multiple occasions, and using that same level of tk to produce a miniature black hole. Her problem? She has had statements about her power during a time when Jean was dead and Emma was out-of-the-picture, leaving only her and Xavier as a comparison. Then when Jean did come back, she gained a direct statements against her in comparison to Jean and Emma eventually came back, which hurt her placement on the tier where before, she could have been considered directly under Xavier. In my opinion, Rachel possibly has the least problems of any high tier on the list given her natural growth.

•Exodus is considered to date the most powerful telekinetic on the list, with high order telepathy on par with Emma Frost at one point. His feats range from multitasking putting a shield around a city and condensing it while producing other telepathic and telekinetic feats in that same story arc. Later, he solos an entire X-Men team while dueling Rachel Summers on the Astral Plane, leaving her only able to do that much to him while he was fighting the X-Men on the physical plane. With direct feats of kicking Jean Grey out of his head, stalemating Emma, dueling Rachel Summers, and evening going toe-to-toe with Xavier, he has good feats to support the Omega Level argument. The problem? His feats fluctuate based around other characters faith in him. Seriously, his power levels go from soloing entire teams to being defeated by an amnesiac Xavier fresh out of brain surgery.

•Quentin Quire......*sigh* In technicality, he can qualify based on the fact that currently, he holds a place on the Omega Level List as Omega Telepath alongside Jean Grey herself. He is a character known to have feats of telepathy directly over Emma Frost, Telekinetically holding together a decaying corpse while fighting off attackers, and a psionic construct of a gun he can use the same way Betsy Braddock (known widely as Psylocke and currently named Captain Britain) uses her psi-knives and swords. His problem? He sucks. Seriously, he has feats over Emma one moment, then gets stomped by the three-in-one Stepford Cuckoos the next. For a little reference, the three-in-one Stepford Cuckoos are triplet clones of Emma Frost with low level telepathy individual who combine their powers for greater effect. That obviously puts Emma above them, yet these girls trump Quentin Quire easily on multiple occasions. It could simply be a matter of inexperience and arrogance on Quentin’s part, but that is honestly a fault of his character that will in my opinion keep him from ever contending with the above high tiers......yet, if I ma to be fair, he has statements for him being a possible contenders and several feats, so make of it what you will.

Thats my analysis on the contenders for the most powerful psis. If you have gotten lost because of my rambling, my thought process is that the Phoenix is the top god-tier and Jean is the top high tier. I named the contenders though to help you make your own case, whether it agrees or disagrees with me. That in turn is also why I tagged others. To bring their thoughts in and help you form your own conclusion. Hope this wasn’t too long and thanks for your time.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Oh no no, this isn't a waste of my time at all. This is the type of conversation I love and can't have with people around me. I was actually perusing the Psychic Respect Thread (which im about to read in-depth) and saw you had some interesting things to say--and I definitely like the idea of great minds coming together.

I like how you've classified the most powerful psychic mutants into two groups. I was just wondering wouldn't you consider Franklin Richards, the Marquis of Death, and Mad Jim Jaspers God-Tier psychic mutants? If I'm not mistaken; wasn't Mad Jim Jaspers an omniversal threat?

Don't ever worry about being too long haha this is the conversation I enjoy

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: Ah I see thanks. I know adult Franklin is Hickman's Fantastic Four v5, and Mad Jim Jaspers is in Captain Britain Legacy of a Legend. Do you know when the Marquis of Death was first introduced?

You're definitely right about the videos lol. They just call all god-type characters Omega or beyond Omega or "too powerful for the MCU".

I'm not at all familiar with Jamie Braddock, I'm about to look him up now. Is he really that powerful?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1 said:

@pyrofn: Oh no no, this isn't a waste of my time at all. This is the type of conversation I love and can't have with people around me. I was actually perusing the Psychic Respect Thread (which im about to read in-depth) and saw you had some interesting things to say--and I definitely like the idea of great minds coming together.

I like how you've classified the most powerful psychic mutants into two groups. I was just wondering wouldn't you consider Franklin Richards, the Marquis of Death, and Mad Jim Jaspers God-Tier psychic mutants? If I'm not mistaken; wasn't Mad Jim Jaspers an omniversal threat?

Don't ever worry about being too long haha this is the conversation I enjoy

1) Franklin Richards?....Honestly, I‘m not the most knowledgable on Franklin, though I’m trying to monitor his current status since his powers have been fading.

From what I can tell, he is most noteworthy as a universal-multiversal reality warper, with his psionics coming second to that. I don’t know what it says about his tk since he is a reality warper first and a psi second. He is by no means weak. He has a literal feat of his young self kicking out a Celestial. Still, he is too young to gauge properly and his telepathic feats are mostly assumed to be as great as his reality warping.

I have no evidence suggesting otherwise, so I assume he is a god tier as well. Yet, outside his one feat, I couldn't say how, since I am only barely getting into him.

2) Marquis of Death? Only heard it in passing before. A cosmic entity, right? Or dimensional being? If so, I would assume they should automatically have god tier defense at the very least, if not psionics in general.

3) Mad Jim Jaspers is a god tier reality warper. He isn’t a natural psi by any means. He can probably give him psi powers, but that is speculation at best and have not heard of feats saying he does so in combat.

From what a quick search says, his powers are limited to what matter and energy exists within the universe. Beyond the boundaries of the universe, where none exist, he is powerless. I don’t know how true this is, but if it does turn out to be true, then accounts saying he is an omniversal threat is exaggerated.

The only way to know is to either to read them myself or ask someone who knows. The former I’m not entirely motivated about since I already have other things on the list of must-reads and the latter I am afraid I have no access to.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Out of curiosity, what's on your list of must-reads?

I'm not familiar with Richards, Jaspers, or the Marquis either, although I've been desperately searching for their stories. I had no idea Jaspers wasn't a psychic mutant, I always thought of "reality warping" as exclusively a psionic power.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1 said:

@pyrofn: Out of curiosity, what's on your list of must-reads?

I'm not familiar with Richards, Jaspers, or the Marquis either, although I've been desperately searching for their stories. I had no idea Jaspers wasn't a psychic mutant, I always thought of "reality warping" as exclusively a psionic power.

Reality warping can be a product of psionics. Nate Grey and the Phoenix are prime examples of this where their telekinesis can manipulate matter on the molecular or subatomic level, which is typically what the universe is entirely made of, save for alternative energies like magic.

Yet, it’s never really explained how a character warps reality when its their main powerset like for characters similar to Mad Jim Jaspers. I typically assume that unless stated otherwise, these reality warpers are tapping an alternative energy source, maybe even their own personal well of energies.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With few exceptions, the majority of reality warpers are boring characters with few appearances and little significance who are mostly remembered because of battle boards and fandom's general fetish for powerful character.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: meh, I don't really care about universal reality warpers and stuff like that. Once they get too powerful it throws the whole stuff off balance and makes it Uninteresting.

If it's planetary level people and below, I'm interested. But when they start making universes, putting universes in boxes, connecting the multiverse, I start zoning out.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: I definitely feel you, there are actually far too many God-tier characters that they don't seem special anymore. My favorite comics don't really have spandex clad superheroes (100 Bullets, Kill or be Killed, Wanted, DMZ), but there is just something about psychics and reality warpers that's so...freeing. I'm obsessed with those powers.

When I see the things people like Legion, The Dark Phoenix, Scarlet Witch, (Mr. M, anyone from the Grey-Summers bloodline, anyone connected to the Phoenix Force, Jaspers...literally everyone in the Respect Psychics thread) can do, all I can think is that there's characters embody freewill and freedom.

I mean let's use my favorite for an example. I think Legion is one of the top 5 greatest psychics and reality warpers, but the X-Men treat him as a dangerous liability, a psychopath, who needs to be locked away (in all fairness David could destroy the world if he wanted, or if he lost control, he's also created universes when he's lost control). But then when the sht hits the fan, it's Legion the GodKiller who rewrites the fabric of reality.

I loathe rules and being told what to do, if I could remake universes like the Dark Phoenix, I wounded be bound by all these rules lol

JimmyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matthew Malloy is one of the worst wasted opportunity in marve's universe.

reality warping is listed as his main power, with a breakdown of other powers beneath that. this WAS the opportunity to really explore something unique, different and interesting but the bendis didnt know what to do with him, and said fuck it just kill him off.

someone needs to bring him back and use his character to explore a new direction of psionic power, energy and reality warping. hes a different character from the usual we always see and it would make a very interesting comic and story, that could be that experemental thing recent comics are missing.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimmyx: You're so right man. I just bought the comic Malloy appears in (I think it's Uncanny X-Men vol 3. Im fairly sure @pyrofn edified me on where to find his appearance. I've read it for somewhere but I can't remember

I'm still looking for the Marquis of Death's appearences and stupid Mad Jim Jaspers--I love his powers, hate his design haha

Avatar image for one_truephoenix
    One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote Matthew Malloy! Man if only he had the opportunity to master his powers, he could create a whole universe, and become the "one above all" in his respective, separate space

Sentryiceman20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fall1n1: The Marquis of Death appeared in Fantastic Four (1961) #566

I would vote mostly for Franklin Richards, The Marquis of Death and Legion.

Many cosmic entities or others powerful beings acknowledged Franklin’s powers. Moreover him and Legion had universal level feats and Franklin has the potential to be more.

The Marquis of Death used the cosmic entities like if they were his dogs

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is a wilde card but Singularity should be a powerful [if not one of the most powerful] reality warpers, her powers are quantum energy

No Caption Provided

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@one_truephoenix: Oh snap! I've never heard of this character. Do you happen to know any good storylines featuring her?

One_TruePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By One_TruePhoenix

@fall1n1 said:

@one_truephoenix: Oh snap! I've never heard of this character. Do you happen to know any good storylines featuring her?

a force is the only comic i know we did a live read and i was so busy chatting that i kinda wasnt paying attention but singular stuck out with me and i did go back to read up on her. she needs more stories to me lots of potential not being used instead they make namor phoenix again instead of doing someting with singularity or bring matthew back

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.