Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Resurrecting Cyclops

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Ok so fresh off the return of Jean Grey..... I figured I'd strike while the iron is hot and get some how-to's on bringing Scott back. I mean in addition to us actually getting the real Jean back PR# 5 actually served another purpose with seeing Scott Summers again. Now that Xavier seems to be back and so is Logan and finally Jean....

I thought there was a previous thread about this but couldn't find it. I know @ursaber had some great ideas along these lines and I'm curious as to others thoughts. Also this doesn't mean that we have to bring him back right now but eventually. So how would you go about bringing Scott back? It can be full stories or plots or retcons etc.

Thoughts?

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Just further accentuates the fact that, in comics, no-one is really dead. And that goes doubly so for the X-Men.

I somewhat disapprove of both the ressurection - and death - of Cyclops/Xavier/Logan , mostly because it continually removes the threat and permanency of meaningful character sacrifice. Alas, I digress.

If I was to bring back Scott Summers, I'd base it off what has happened, before and long before. Some might recall a time when Mutants lost their powers. In that time, Quicksilver regained some - through the Terrigan mists. The power he gained was to restore mutant powers.

Flash forward to current comics. Scott Summers, like a Lazarus, emerges again. The terrigan mists may have killed him, but some manner of secondary mutation has brought him back. Or perhaps... he has died and become an Inhuman? He removes his mask to find that his original powers are gone - merely replaced by the ability to heal using energy from another, different dimension. The light bathes out from his Terrigan scars, but only when he's calm and collected. And whats more serene than death itself? Doing a bit of soul searching, he finds other mutants, lost to varying means, and channels his new power - and brings them back, alive. For once, Scott summers is no warrior, leader, or controversy - he's healed others and himself.

Just for fan-fic laughs, I'd have him pull a Phoenix Wright, retiring from superhero work and playing an instrument in an unnoteworthy place. He starts playing poker, and beats everyone - normal people, professionals, Avengers, X-Men, and everything inbetween. Even telepaths cannot read him, with substantial mental fortitude of his own. Eventually, a resurrected Jean grey finds him. While amiciable, he's a man far too changed for even her to read him.

Time passes, and eventually Emma Frost decides to pay a proper visit. They're too far gone to be lovers, but not far enough to be mutual teachers, leaders and hopefuls. With all the Hellfire card motiffs and time spent reading Scott without telepathy.

Furthermore, Scott gains control of his healing to a point where be can restore his own powers, without its control defecit. They take time to integrate with his new powers, to the point where using both of them flares up the terrigan mutant DNA conflict, causing im to be sickly. To that end, I'd foresee him preparing to be a combat leader, or the homebase healing leader.

But meh, like this would ever happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@hawk2916: Mistress death got a hold of his body & send him to "god quarry".Scott emerges from it alive & be a god.Death send him after thanos to humiliate him.Then she send to him to kill all the gods to collect their souls for her.Various fraction of death(hela,mephisto) wages war among themselves.PF restore the balance without involving earth & mutants & quietly send Scott to earth with superhuman strength,stamina,speed,optic blast.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

scott was phoenix once or twice if u count secret wars..........phoenix brings scott back to torture jean grey and the x-men ........x-men save scott from phoenix, phoenix is humiliate once more........all in a phoenix egg LOL

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PyroFN

Hmmm...What I’d do is use Madelyne Pryor to bring him back from the dead, via magic or Phoenix (her searching the Phoenix and accepting it would make sense given how obsessed the Force is of Jean). He’d be brainwashed and become a villain, a lackey of Madelyne Pryor against the X-Men.

Or we can have Emma and Miss Sinister restore his body, but due to Miss Sinisters traitorous nature, she tampers with Scott, making him an ultimate creation of hers. He will be back to normal of course with some enhancements.

Elixirs powers could lose control like he’s done before and bring Scott from the dead, broken, suffering, and sick, but no longer dead. He’d have lost his mind, but soon regain it after Elixirs and a psychics help.

That’s just a few ideas I got. Thoughts @hawk2916.

Glaucus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn:

I like the Madelyne Pryor idea!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HAWK2916

@pyrofn: neat ideas. Never thought of the Maddie Pryor thing. I really don't want to see the Phoenix anytime soon. But actually the Phoenix going to Maddie makes a whole lot of sense. Talk about a new villian for Jean and the Xmen. A Phoenix possessed Maddie, oh and by the way the Phoenix is pissed off at being rejected.

I also like the Elixir idea.

I think I would combine these with @ursaber ideas for this.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: question....how do you see Maddie Pryor, as in what is her motivation for wanting Cyclops back and to take down the Xmen? Is it just being crazy? Another revenge plot?

ursaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@gladeusex:

The idea of turning Cyclops into an Inhuman is horrendous. Scrap it forever.

Sinister already cloned Cyke to try and create a Mutant Inhuman hybrid already.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GladeusEx

@ursaber said:

@gladeusex:

The idea of turning Cyclops into an Inhuman is horrendous. Scrap it forever.

Sinister already cloned Cyke to try and create a Mutant Inhuman hybrid already.

Fair enough. Didn't know the second part, so the more you know.

Can always just interchange it with the "Mothervine" mcguffin they never really tied up, which would give Cyclops a secondary mutation post-mortem. Then have the two interdimensional energies cancel each other out if I wanted the additional power to have an inherent cost or caveat.

znop01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By znop01

Maddie and Jean should of had a tug of war over who got to be host and who got Scott during Phoenix: Resurrection -- ending with both of them (Maddie and Jean) leaving Scott with an envious Emma permanently.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PyroFN

@hawk2916: I see Maddie’s motivation as wanting to define her life on her own terms. All things considered, I see Maddie as a little sadistic, so I would have her wave Scott around Jean, Emma, and the X-Men like a new toy to her onlookers. An “hey, look what I got” situation. Her motivation for going against the X-Men to me would be to drain Jeans psychic energy or use her DNA for a real body because her psychic powers are weak, which would make Scott even more valuable as not only bait as a trap. She may also take pleasure in him to mess with Jean like drunken kisses or torturing him in front of her and he lets her, showing just how much of a hold she has on him.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where was my crazy pitch with the hidden and unique ability of his X-gene that will trigger his past possessions and will resurrect him in a form of crazed superman?

XMenCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like very much for they to bring Cyclops back. He's one of my fav characters. Is there a petition somewhere? I'd very much like to help.

This is my twitter https://twitter.com/4everbuffy

On topic, I think that it doesn't have to be that complicated his return. Maybe Elixir could bring Cyclops back which was the first thing I thought when Elixir himself got resurrected in Uncanny X-Men. He even brought Magneto back after Psylocke killed him in the very last issue of Uncanny X-Men before the release of X-Men Blue.

There are several way they can bring Cyclops back if they want. Even timetravel like Cable going back on time and removing Cyclops from the plane before they land in the island where he got infected. If he would explain Emma how things are supposed to play out this wouldn't hurt the timeline.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@hawk2916: I see Maddie’s motivation as wanting to define her life on her own terms. All things considered, I see Maddie as a little sadistic, so I would have her wave Scott around Jean, Emma, and the X-Men like a new toy to her onlookers. An “hey, look what I got” situation. Her motivation for going against the X-Men to me would be to drain Jeans psychic energy or use her DNA for a real body because her psychic powers are weak, which would make Scott even more valuable as not only bait as a trap. She may also take pleasure in him to mess with Jean like drunken kisses or torturing him in front of her and he lets her, showing just how much of a hold she has on him.

1) i like how maddie could use scott to bring him back but under her control(but doesnt he have some TP resistance training?)......also leave emma out of this LOL........just regular maddie vs jean lol

2) with nova vs jean happening......i dont want nova to torture jean through tp or a washed down version of jessicaJones/purpleMan......we already have jessica for that

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
    deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about resurrection phenomena and its consequences but I have mention about this topic "Resurrection of wolverine" or return of wolverine several times but no one answered ,no offense but if you have heard podcast interview of charles soule interview where he said that he is going change the personality of Logan (who had been a consistent character through out each part of marvel universe).But in terms of jean grey ,her personality remain unchanged .Therefore the question is simple that different people have different resurrection justice ....Look maybe I am

wrong about this because I think its pretty too soon judge things like that but then please listen to the podcast interview and give your opinions...here is the link if you don't have then here is the link given below http://marvel.com/files/podcasts/TWIM_Episode345.mp3

Listen to the audio after 40 minutes

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
    deactivated-5bc8daab15c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops needs to stay dead, there already to many Summers'/Grey's as it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b7e39e00ab6f
    deactivated-5b7e39e00ab6f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brokenoverlord: One could argue that there were also too many wolverines for prime logan to return, but that didn't turn out to be an obstacle.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwasright: What's Wolverine got to do with with this?

I disagree, way more Summers' and Greys running around than there are of any other Marvel character.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwasright: What's Wolverine got to do with with this?

I disagree, way more Summers' and Greys running around than there are of any other Marvel character.

I disagree. With Wolverine you have X-23, Daken, Old man Logan and Jimmy who all pretty much have the exact same powers as Wolverine does and similar personalities. Besides Young Cyclops no one is running around like him. While Rachel and Nate are summers they resemble Jean more than Cyclops. So the comparison doesn't really work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: Havok,Vulcan,Stryfe,Corsair,Hope,and some other character from an alternate future. I don't know name, but I think she appeared recently, was either a Summers or a Grey.

Again I ask what does Wolverine and his...."family" have to do with this thread?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: There are similarities between x-23 and logan since logan has trained her himself but laura is a female character which pretty much make differences between him and her in term personal life and logan 's history is way much bigger than laura therefore Logan's solo series defines him who he is and it's much more mysterious than he even knows about himself just like thor, where as laura's life started on weapon x faculty and ends with logan whether she goes against shield or becomes enemy of the state ,this things are just similar experiences regarding to logan's life Don't even mention about the similar personalities regarding daken and logan because loyalty defines logan over the ages which daken lacks completely (in case if you have not read dark reign era of dark wolverine series) .Do you know why Logan killed Daken his own son which he initially

blamed himself for leaving him there with his died mother which he doesn't even know about that he was born.... but he still wanted to kill him because his thirst was only revenge against whoever he is that killed his mother (even though it was Romulus who was daken 's stepfather) and his desire of being more powerful than which logan himself defines his diperjuangkan strength it as a curse.As for old man logan he had different history but same personality as logan in some aspects but what define him the most was long buried after he killed all the x-men and even lost his wife and children ....

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brokenoverlord: I thought Vulcan was dead and that Stryfe wasn’t around? Did either of them come back? Needless to say, you are correct. He Grey/Summers lineage is vast.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Yeah, that's why I get a little prickly when some one says "there are to many Wolverines", yet right here you got a whole line Summers and Greys.

Cosmiccelest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: Havok,Vulcan,Stryfe,Corsair,Hope,and some other character from an alternate future. I don't know name, but I think she appeared recently, was either a Summers or a Grey.

Again I ask what does Wolverine and his...."family" have to do with this thread?

You made a comment that they were too many summers running around which there isn't. Rachel, Cable, Havok and Young Cyclops are the only Summers consistently running around. Last time Vulcan and Styrfe were in comics were a couple of years ago.

However you missed the point. We shouldn't Cyclops come back? Like I said the only person that resembles him is the younger version of himself. Cable, Rachel, and Hope have completely different personalities and powers from him. However when talking about Wolverine and the copies I named they all have similar darn near the same powers yet they are still bringing him back.

Considering how many hulks and Wolverines copies is running around I see no reason not to bring back Cyclops. You make it seem like alot of summers is running around when there is currently only Four and even then Havok has only been present in the most recent X-men Blue issues. You can count the number of summers in the comics currently with one hand.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccelest: So you are only judging the wolverines for their same powers? because I told you their is only one wolverine based on their different personalities,their gender, different pasts and different motives,which I previously showed you on my previous post ,but my honest opinion about resurrect ing cyclops, i have no objections

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Honestly I think it would be interesting to bypass the direct resurrection and have it be that Scott's been alive for a while, or something similar, and just working as a teacher in some public school. An amnesia element--although cliche--could be fun. But either way, he has done his duty for the mutant cause and is done with it. He was an X-Man? Didn't help. He was Phoenix? Didn't help. He was a revolutionary? Didn't help. So now he's just given up, and decided to just let nature take its course. I think it would be cool to have him so utterly done with it all and the others struggling to either bring him back, or leave him be.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.