Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13409 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Reign of X Reviews- February 2021 (Spoilers)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey....remember when this was called Recent Subjects? Me too....now shut up.

It's been a LONG while since myself or @adamtrmm pulled one of these but lets bring it back for 2021....so here are the rules.

1. Give a short review/discuss your opinions on this months X-titles as well as any NEWS, Rumors, or Grievances involving the latest books.

2- Give a score for each issue (1->5 or 1->10) you may have read.

3- Have fun

No Caption Provided

@pyrofn@marvelfan1992@geekryan@del_torro@god_spawn@lordofallhumans@cattlebattle@ursaber@theinsufferable@onsipin@stormcell@mooty_pass@waitomegastorm@kasya_carey@hopesummersforthefuture@cruelrain@wesat@olorun@vishop_@thunderscream

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Factor #7 - This was another great issue. And as always I need to say that I was talking so much shit before this run started that if I ever meet Leah Williams she has permission to tie me to her car and just do laps around the parking lot. Daken and Northstar were great, the mystery was solved and now the shit gets going.

My one beef.... I really don't like the way she portrays Rachel. Like it really seems more like she writing "random sarcastic lesbian stereotype" then a version of Rachel. It's cool because it fits the team....but it's annoying because she's laughing at corny sex jokes and otherwise just being oddly out of character. It's like the core of Rachel is still that she was essentially a tortured, abused and frequently traumitized child...young adult....adult adult... and it just doesn't seem like you can look at this version and go "yeah I can see that" since this Rachel seems more like she'd shrug off being forced to hunt and kill her friends and family with her bare hands while on a leash and just go get a drink. It's like Leah knows who she wants Rachel to be, but doesn't acknowledge how she wouldve got there.

It's a nitpick..BUT GOD DAMMIT IT'S MY NITPICK!!! And because it's also happened with Daken it's kinda relevant to how she's got a great team dynamic, but kinda broke a few rules to get there.

8.5/10 Issue for just being fun and well written and because i'm actively engaged in all of the subplots...

King in Black: Marauders #1: Wow....it looked really good there for a second.....and then it turned into fluff and filler like 2 pages in. Kitty acts badass. Pyro, Iceman, Emma and Lockheed get to look cool....Bishop is Bishop. BEAST IS F*****ING SHADY!!!! And the much more interesting plot from the first page is put into the background -_- It's a solid one-shot....but Duggan usually does much better 6/10

Hellions #9: This book HAS NO BUSINESS BEING THIS GOOD. and yet IT IS ALWAYS GOOD! Not even going to spoil it 9/10 for being in the top 3 series every month.

This just has to be seen to be believed

No Caption Provided

onsipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By onsipin

X-Factor - I loved this issue. They seemed to cover so many things without being too abrupt on any of the subjects. I liked seeing the characters being explored a lot more in-depth, and the many interactions. The ending was pretty grim. It's definitely in this title and in X-Force where we are most blatantly reminded of the "immortality" of mutants, given the amount of times characters have been killed.

4.5/5

Hellions - I absolutely LOVE Mr. Sinister. He is the best thing about this entire era of X-Men books if you ask me. Mastermind was brilliant in this issue as well. I'm not opposed to Kwannon and Scalphunter forming what seems to be a romantic relationship. his rag-tag team is very interesting to follow. The only thing I wish they would change is their portrayal of Mr. Sinister's power levels. he is great as this comedic, scheming character, but I feel it came at the price of his power

4/5

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PyroFN

Alright. I’m here! I will get slightly spoilers, so read at your own discretion.

•X-Factor #7: I’m rather pleased with how Leah is running things in X-Factor. Each character has a distinct personality that really blends well for them as a team. This issue was all about focusing on what happened to these characters before they came to Krakoa through conversations with each other. Now, I’m pretty positive that I can at least make out one motivation as to why almost everyone on X-Factor would be motivated to fight for their place in their home.

The cons of the issue fall in line with a couple of things. Daken and Rachel....they got an unexplained personality change without explanation as to why they act the way they are. It’s technically always been there, but I let it slide for the reason of allowing Leah her footing with the characters as she demonstrates their voices. She is not rushing and I admire that, yet the problems left still prevail:

•Daken is a lot more noticeable in how his personality has changed compared to his other iterations. It’s not an unlikeable personality. Quite the opposite. So, where‘s the problem?

Before Aurora, what exactly is Daken’s previous motivation for wanting to join to begin with? I am not sure I even know why he was interested in Aurora’s murder before properly meeting Aurora. The changes are good now because we are getting more of what is in Daken’s head, but that missing piece of why he takes a leap of faith in someone who he has never had any interaction beyond this book still lingers. We know Daken wants Aurora, that much is plain to see. What about in regards to himself? Because I frankly don’t buy that a character so selfish before grew a conscious out of nowhere and decided to choose the morally good over his own pleasure or benefit.

•Rachel is the bigger issue for being noticeably out of the loop of character development. I’m positive Leah might have some things in the works for Rachel, but it would have been nice to have some insight on how Rachel feels about this new home that is Krakoa. Even a small moment with Amazing Baby the way a pet owner talks to their pet would have been just fine to get insight on Rachel’s own psyche.

So, what is making things easier for her to live with all the bad memories and issues mentally regarding the basic forced enslavement that not only happened at the start of her life, but in very recent times? I can say I know what is in the other characters heads. I can’t say the same for Rachel. Make it a moment with the Summers family where she just silently smiles and watches the conversation and it would be more than what we have been given. Have her talk to Amazing Baby and it would welcome insight on the character. Basically, give us more Rachel.

Score is an 8/ 10. Nice characterizations as per usual and the honestly, I am finding the plot here more and more engaging with each new perspective Leah draws on.

•Hellions #9: Why? Why is this so good? The book is full of D-List characters with only Sinister, Psylocke, and Havok as the faces. They just introduced a returning C-List character, yet I’m invested into every single one of them in this book!

If I had any problems with the book, it’s utilizing the characters a little more creatively.....scratch that. Use the main characters powers more creatively because my god the villains powers are just....amazing to behold, especially this issue.

Score is a 9/ 10. Beautiful art, outstanding colors, and outstanding plot.

King in Black: Marauders: Gotta say. Not bad....not stellar either. I get the point of the message the book wants to convey. They are heroes, so they prioritize innocents before their own agenda’s....

With that in mind, the original hook was that they were to go on a rescue mission and just make a pit stop on the way. I know innocents are in danger and you could help, but if this was gonna be the entire plot of the book, you could have just not bothered to mention in the beginning a bigger threat that would theoretically take bigger priority for how much damage it can produce. It’s a cruel tease for what could have been a hype sequence in favor of a moral dilemma with less stakes than what is going on in the background.

Score is a 6/10. Not bad, but very disappointing.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

test

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.