Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Rank there Portrayal

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

I thought it would be fun to rank the X-Ladies portrayal in comics.

Emma Frost

No Caption Provided

X-Men Black Emma Frost

X-Men Blue

Jean Grey solo series (Teen Jean)

Inhumans vs X-Men

Death of X (Death of Cyclops)

Uncanny X-Men(Bendis)

Battle of Atom (bendis)

All-New X-Men(training sessions with teen Jean)

Avengers vs X-men( Phoenix Five)

Uncanny X-Men(Kieran Gillian)

Utopia story

Uncanny X-Men(Fraction)

Joss Whdeon Astonishing X-Men

Phoenix Endsong/ Warsong

Emma solos series written by Karl Bollers

Grant Morrison New X-Men

Generation X( late 90’s)

Early 90’s ( taking over Iceman Body, teasing Iceman later on, attacking warpath)

Jean grey

No Caption Provided

Uncanny X-Men (2018-2019)

X-Men Red

X-Men The Exterminated( Jean and hope issue)

Extermination

Phoenix Resurrection

X-Men Blue

Jean grey solo series (teen Jean)

Battle of atom

All-new X-Men

Jean Grey Origins (2008) issue

Phoenix Endsong

X-Treme X-Men

Grant Morrison X-men

Search for Cyclops/ late 90’s X-Men

X-cutioner song

Early 90’s X-Men, marrying Cyclops, taking down sabretooth, comforting Jubilee.

X-Factor(1980s’s)

Dark Pheonix story

Rogue

No Caption Provided

Mr. and Mrs.

X-Men gold Wedding issue

Rogue and Gambit series(2018)

Axis story( Marvel event)

Uncanny Avengers

X-Men (Primar)

X-Men Legacy

X-Men Mike carey series ( mid 2000's series)

Rogue solos series (2004-2005)

X-Treme X-Men( early 200’s)

Age of Apocalypse X-Men( mid 90’s)

Rogue solo series(early 90s)

X-Men( early 90s)

Classic Rogue (1980s)

Kitty Pryde

No Caption Provided

X-Men Gold

Guardians of the galaxy./ star-lord and Kitty Pryde series

Axis Revolutions issue

All-New X-Men

Uncanny X-Men( Fraction and Kieran Gillian)

Wolverine and the X-Men series

Joss Whedon Astonishing X-Men

X-Men : Kitty Pryde-shadow & flame

Excalibur series (1990’s)

Classic X-Men (1980’s)

Psylocke

No Caption Provided

Mystery in Madripoor

Astonshing X-Men (2017-2018)

Uncanny X-Men (Bunn series 2016)

X-Force Simon Spurrie (team with marrow)

Uncanny X-Force( Sam Humphries)

X-Men( X-ladies series)

Uncanny X-force ( Rick Remender)

Psylocke Solo series (2008-2009)

X-Men: Sword of Braddock

Uncanny X-Men Sisterhood Story

X-Treme X-Men

X-Men early 1990’s

Classic Psylocke 1980’s

Storm

No Caption Provided

X-Men Gold

Extraordinary X-Men

Storm solos series 2014

X-Men(X-ladies series)

Wolverine and the X-Men series

X-Men Worlds Apart

X-Men (wood & Victor Gishlers

Wedding of Black Panther and Storm

Storm solos series (mid 2000's)

X-Treme X-Men (early 2000’s)

Storm solo series 90's

Early 90’s Storm

Classic Storm ( 1980’s)

As you can see I focus on the more popular X-Ladies. Feel free to talk about any of these X-ladies. Listing there worst to best portrayals.

I hope people share the views

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Geez...this is work

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

Lol tell me about it

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PyroFN

Okay, the easiest ones will be my top two favorites. The rest will either have to be researched, or just be thought and meditated on. With that said:

EMMA FROST RANKING

1,2,3) Gillens, Fraction, and Utopia- A tie? Already?! Yeah, in these runs, Emma has already become established in her place among the X-Men. So, she gets right down to business with these, giving us the best moments of Emma in character, powers, and development. Also, I thought the Utopia stories were Gillens? Oh well.

4) Joss Whedons Astonishing- Emma here is still trying to establish her place among the X-Men here, in the aftermath of Jeans death. Though it doesn’t outright state it, except for moments from Scott, Emma Basically has to now fill Jeans shoes while others hold animosity towards her.

5) Jean Greys solo- Surprised? Don’t be. Hopeless may be well known for his millennial speak greatly, especially with Teen Jean as the lead character, but snarkiness comes with that millennial speak and boy can Hopeless bring the fire. What is more, Hopeless can successfully shift from snark to deep to back to being savage with his Emma. I am always deeply impressed with his Emma.

6) Emma Frost solo- More millennial speak? I know. Still, going through what Emma went through, you see why she has such a jaded view of the world around her. So, this makes it important to Emma’s character. (Also, shoutout to X-Men: Origins Emma Frost for a similar point of view for Emma, but further in her history)

7) Grant Morrison’s New X-Men (With X-Treme X-Men as its partner in crime)- This solidified Emma’s place among the X-Men. She may have been associated for longer, but here, she is really ingrained into their little family, but not everyone is okay with it. Still, her worth is shown and we see the famous diamond form for the first time here.

8) Phoenix Endsong/ Warsong- Why so far down this list? I love these stories and especially Emma’s place among them. With that said, in Endsong, it came down to Emma’s relationship with Scott in a five-parter, so not much of Emma is seen beyond mostly the scope of Scott Summers and the Phoenix Force. Warsong is the exact opposite to where an important plot point is Emma learning she is mother. While much more important and much deeper, it’s still contained in a five-partner which means not much is seen beyond Emma’s vulnerability in this arc. Both wonderful, but not enough Emma in every aspect of who she is.

9) Death of X- Though it was the beginning of the end of any hope for a good Emma for the longest time, on its own, Emma’s motivations make sense and we see her masterful manipulative side. And though it is wrongness in some aspects morally, it is also hard to argue against considering the Inhumans lack of action beyond a single team from Crystal.

10) X-Men: Blue- Yeah, okay, so the first part of Bunns run continued on Emma’s insanity, but I actually respect Bunn for sticking to continuity rather than ignoring it like it never happened, unlike what fans wanted. Bunn shows that, yeah okay, Emma has fallen and now she has to climb back up. As OOC as IvX was, Bunn made something organic out of it.

11) X-Men: Black (honorable mention, Sina Graces Iceman solo)- Not bad interpretations of Emma. These feel like logical next steps after Bunn, so they are acceptable. Not the best, but under the circumstance of where Emma is in her development, it’s not their fault for this placement. It’s ironic that Sina can do a better Emma than he could an Iceman.

12, 13) 90’s and Generation X- These Emma’s don’t feel all that different to me. They seem like the same woman, so they share the same spot.

14) AvX- Emma wasn’t really a focal point of AvX, but she did have a little nice ‘almost Dark Phoenix’ subplot going. Sadly it ended her relationship with Scott as abruptly and probably more brutally than Storms marriage. Not entirely Scott’s fault, but still understandably traumatizing for Emma. If only Bendis had capitalized on that aspect more.

15, 16, 17) Bendis runs (aka All-New, Uncanny, and BotA)- These are all basically the same Emma. While Hopeless drops the millennial speak for Emma, while Emma’s solo has the excuse of using a young Emma from high school to college, Bendis uses the millennial speak inaccurately in Emma. As interesting as the broken powers were, there wasn’t really anything that came of it. It was just there for Emma to accidentally slip her thoughts in at inappropriate times. Then there was the aspect of her relationship with Scott, which could’ve been interesting if it weren’t surrounding young Jean Grey and Scott’s apparent obsession coming back full force after hints were being dropped here and there. I think the best things to come out of Bendis Emma was her relationship with the Cuckoos and Teen Jean.

18) IvX- The lowest point of poor Emma Frost. The sad thing is, it started out wonderfully. Emma has a goal, inspired by Scott’s death, she tried to better herself in readying to enact her plans, but they turned her crazy in the end and a murderer. All to just have someone to blame for in the end. God-awful story, horrid new costume that thankfully never made it beyond that page in IvX and maybe a cover that as far as I know never made it through for selling. I hate this event with a passion for what it did to Emma. I wish I could ignore it, but it has unfortunately been burned into Emma’s history. I won’t speak of it beyond rare occasions, but it’s there and I can’t erase it from her history, no matter how much I wish I could.

Any objections to my list @gladeusex, @koays, @adamTRMM, @cattlebattle, @McKlayn, and @hawk2916?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: not a whole lot., the hardest part about this entire assignment (lol like school work or something) is how exactly are we ranking? Best In character stories, most important story arcs? ect, also time and evolution come into play as a character. With emma she has the terrible story of losing everything she loves over and over, She lost the Hellions, she Loses Synch in Gen X, she Loses the Kids in the Decimation, ect. So the whole Generation X / Early 90's stories feel alot like Emma to me, i can feel her growth from those comics (where she takes over ice man because of loosing the hellions to where she finds her new kids in Gen X but she keeps them very distance cause of her pain, to going ot Genosha and loosing them students, to the whole Morrison run.) But yea the list is really solid, and as more than likely the only Faction fan on the forum im glad to see him number one, I might of put Whedon higher but only because I enjoyed his run so much and the Emma / Kitty back and fourth was golden

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To make this a bit less of a chore for me, Ima start out by listing what writers I think give the best potrayal for each character and then go back and modify my list as I have time and read over some opinions maybe we can actually come up with a universal go to list for each X lady (i doubt it but you know)

Emma - Faction was a good one here, she isn't as focused so Maybe whedon? or Morrison (shiver i hate that guy but his emma wasnt bad) But Ill go with Faction at number 1 for her, @pyrofn makes alot of strong points for it

Jean - this is more of a my favorite I guess than a Defining Voice but the early 90's Jean is my go to. She was strong, and caring and more in control than many of her other counterparts so yea

Rogue - Carey for sure on this one. The end of his X men legacy run he made her a bit preachy but at the start it was solid and stayed that way for most of it (the whole magneto love affair was eww though)

Kitty - She is an odd one because you almost have to say something Claremont right? This was one of his babies but this was also Kitty pryde the kid, shes a grown up now and I say Whedon did the best grown up Kitty, so Yea Whedon.

Psylocke - I completely defer on this one, totally not a psylocke guy so meh I have no real opinoin

Storm - Claremont all day every day (Classic 1980s) any other answer is just wrong lol

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Though it would take me more time to think about Fractions run, I do believe due to the circumstance of where Emma was in her development, His was one of the best.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@mcklayn: Though it would take me more time to think about Fractions run, I do believe due to the circumstance of where Emma was in her development, His was one of the best.

Ive seen alot of people criticize faction for making Emma "Arm candy" to cyclops, i really didn't get that vibe. I can see an arguement for it due to lack of panel time in comparison to him but at the same time the entire X man roster fell into the background, she had a good voice and was more of the "Queen" of utopia then i think anything else. I enjoyed her there

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: I never got that either, though I guess they could be right, Though it’s hard to tell because Emma’s entire purpose is to be the arm candy in appearance while being the brains behind the scenes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
    deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: To be honest, I feel like Fractions Emma was kind of iffy. He got better by the end of his run but for the most part the way he wrote Emma was kind of sporadic meaning Emma’s personality changed from issue to issue. It’s understandable since it was his first time writing Emma but I wouldn’t call him the best. It was enjoyable to read though.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now for Jean. This one oddly enough was harder than Emma because Jean is much more consistent in personality throughout her history, even when she leans into something not many know her for.

JEAN GREY RANKING

1) Dark Phoenix Saga (shoutout to the Phoenix Saga)- Okay, yeah, cliche, I know. BUT this is basically what started the narrative of Jean having a dark side and since Claremont has a knack for writing essays worth thoughts and feelings, we see exactly how Jean starts to fall from Grace.

2) Phoenix Resurrection- The mini that ended the cycle of the Phoenix (for now anyways). Here we see Jeans potential and get a reaffirmation of Jeans belief of living as a human over a god that the Watcher has spoken of. And it highlights the toxic relationship of the Phoenix, yet you know that there is love between Jean and the cosmic entity on a level deeper than normal connections made, making the results all the more heart-wrenching.

3, 4) X-Men: Red and New X-Men- Okay, this one, I simply couldn’t decide on. Both have the same goal with completely different methods, showing Jeans leadership and strategy. All while showing what a real omega level mutant can do when they push the boundaries of their powers. I only have one problem each for either run. For Red, it’s the political undertones. For New X-Men, it’s the ending with Jeans death. Reds fault affects the run itself as a whole while New X-Men’s fault affected the X-Men going forward by effectively taking Jean out of the picture, which to me has always been a cop out.

5) X-Factor- In this one, Jean deals with the outcome of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Jean Grey fans were always so sure that Jean was the integral piece that kept the X-Men from falling apart. While that is an exaggeration, it is clear that Jean can bring them together when they lose focus of why they formed the team to begin with. Even with that in mind, things are far from peachy for Jean. While her telekinetics are stronger than her original Marvel Girl iteration, she’s lost her telepathy and feels a void that losing that ability left. Jean goes on to deal with her first love having married someone else and the possibility that she will have to let him go, having to realize her she has a clone, that clone was brought to life by the Phoenix, she has alternate dystopian future daughter possessed by the Phoenix, the death of the X-Men, the loss of her sister, the amnesia of her niece and nephew, a baby she has a psychic connection to somehow and being abandoned by his mother, one of her best friends being brainwashed, and all while having to deal with a negative reputation as if it’s all okay. Jean has a lot of moments where she just loses it and you just feel for her because it’s all bull she has to deal with.

6) Jean Grey solo- Okay, here me out. This book series is basically a way better version of Bendis Jean Grey. NO DONT LEAVE, Listen!!! Listen!! Yes, it’s another Phoenix story and has an ironic millennial for a protagonist, but my goodness is it well-written. We see Bendis interpret how amazing Jean is as a young omega level mutant, what her potential could be had things been different and we see Jeen handle it well, but Hopeless reminds the audience that Jeen is still very inexperienced despite being in the present for too long. Teen Jean has to go through finding different info on the Phoenix or teachers who can help her learn to tap into that unlimited potential in ways that even the real Jean had not done in her lifetime. The kicker, she has to deal with one simple fact that makes this so relatable: Teen Jean is not the real Jean Grey yet, but she has to live up to that legacy so young, to grow up fast and deal with the bull crap Jean has left when she died. It sucks, but it’s life. Highly recommend!

7) Revolution era (late-90’s)- This is an excellent era, one of my favorites of Jeans. Jean has to deal with the loss of Scott and her telekinesis. This is the era where we see Jeans skill as one of the most powerful telepaths on earth and her leadership blossoming for the first time. Yeah, Jean kind of sort of was the unofficial second in command since X-Factor and always a close confidant to Xavier, but never really got to capitalize on her strategy and planning as the center of the stories until this era.

8) X-Men: Blue (honorable mention goes to Generations: Phoenix)- Before Red, there was Blue, where we get a real glimpse at a leader Jean Grey that we have not gotten since Morrison’s run. Bendis called Jean the leader in his run, but it seemed more like Jeen was running first into battle and everyone just ran by her side or Kitty was the real leader. Here, in Bunns run, Jeen actually does plan, direct, and makes the decisions in this group. Bunn utilizes Teen Jean wonderfully in a team set beautifully, and therefore gets this spot.

9) Jean Grey Origins- Every great superhero has an interesting backstory and Jean is no different. True, Jean has always had a loving background in a middle clas neighborhood. But it all starts with a an accident that kills her best friend right in front of her at the age of 10. The start of Jean Grey!

10) Phoenix Endsong- Jeans real good-bye that she never got in Morrisons run. Like I said, the ending in Morrisons run was a cop out to me. The good thing I can say about it is demonstrate the what could have been, but this mini series affirms this: Life goes on. Scott moves on with Emma and Jean has to accept something that she didn’t realize she was secretly wishing for even after death, to see Scott and her family one last time. Jean has been dead and she needs to stay that way with the Phoenix Force. Earth at that point in time had no place for her or the Phoenix Force, so she had to keep the Phoenix from going wild and accept that Scott moved on and therefore she herself must move on. Jean gives Scott the proper good-bye that gives him the blessing of moving on.

11) X-Treme X-Men- A good look into a casual Jean Avery. It isn’t lumped with New X-Men due to how rare Jeannis in this. Needless to say, the few times she is are made to count to establish what she means to the X-Men, particularly Storm. You won’t find any notable Jean developments, but you get nice character interactions.

12, 13) Extermination and The Exterminated- A tie. Real solid Jean Grey stories. Needless to say, the Jean Grey moments are few and far in-between, outshined by the O5’s need to be sent back home. The best moments happens in the last issue for Jean, so that is why it is so low. Meanwhile, The Exterminated highlights an interaction we fans have desperately been clamoring for after Jean and Rachel talking and that is Hope and the real Jean Grey meeting. While we don’t get a, “Hello, my name is Jean Grey. The REAL Jean Grey.” We establish what Jean is to Hope, family. Hope tried to always to take matters into her own hands throughout the issue, believing herself to be the only one affected but Cables death, but Jean puts it all into perspective. Beautifully touching and a proper epilogue to Extermination. I actually like The Exterminated more than the mini event itself, but it loses its powerful storytelling without Extermination, so I grouped them together.

14) Uncanny 2019- Shocking for me actually that I place it so low, but it isn’t a testament to how bad it is. It’s rather a testament to what it’s competing against. Here, while Kitty is MIA, Jean Grey and Storm must attempt to solve a mystery going around. Jean has solid leadership skills and seems to have better time dealing with her threats than Storms team does oddly enough. With that said, Jeans moments are few due to how large the roster is. That said, Jean is one of the few with the most panel time, so it’s nothing to complain about. That said, it earns this placement in comparison to the others. A solid Jean Grey, but nothing all too special.

15) Jim Lee Gold Team- Ah, the most notable era after Dark Phoenix. The one that everyone defines as Jean Grey in total character...they are wrong. Yes, Jean has a large presence in this era and many good moments, especially with her wedding, but to be honest, not much has happened for Jean herself to grow in this era. Here, she is a more of a support system to everyone else, which highlights her value as the heart, but we don’t really get anything for Jean to learn from herself. Most notable moments, I can count on my fingers: the wedding, wins against Sabertooth, admitting about why she holds back, Cable, Stryfe, Onslaught, problems with Scott (shocker, I know) involving Psylocke, and the Twelve.

16, 17) Bendis runs (aka All-New and BotA)- So, here is where the Teen Jean Problem started in the first place. Don’t get me wrong, Bendis did some really cool stories and things with Teen Jean. New ability, new take on old friendships, drama. Still, Bendis is usually good at starting things, neglecting the ending of it all. I don’t know if it’s boredom or what, but Bendis seems to have a one-tracked mind that involves so many ideas that get integrated either in a plot device kind of way or they just fall off the map. So, this is where he stays.

18) X-cutioner Song- Not really a Jean Grey story to me. If I’m honest, I can’t remember anything really noteworthy happening beyond the fight about Psylocke in the beginning (in which Cyclops acted like a douche) and escape attempt involving a fake baby. It more or less was a story about a man-baby who through a mini tantrum. So, I can’t give this a high grade like the ones above it.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just so much work....

Sigh let's see what i can do with tomorrow.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I’d say copy and paste, but you’d still end up having to reorganize, sooooo......

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Lol that's where I'm at. It's just I have so much to say that it's a pain in the ass just to get through Emma.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I know that feel. Good luck because I couldn’t really stop my thoughts from flowing about each era of Emma Frost.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.