Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13417 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Original Member of the X-Men Revealed to be Gay

yellint22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally I think him being gay kinda makes sense, he hasn't really been able to fully hold a relationship with a girl and even in them he has always acted more like their friend than anything else. Therefore it makes sense that this would be due to closeted gay feelings, and it is possible to closet them there's a name for it, denial. Think about: Iceman joined the x-men when he was already being persecuted for being a mutant so wouldn't want to further that persecution by coming out. At that young age it becomes very easy for a person to go into denial which can stay as there view for the rest of there life. So maybe we all shouldn't jump to conclusions about older Iceman being full straight and having always been.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: I think they come from the same point, but they took different paths, or our redhead is playing with his mind hahahaha

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#153  Edited By oldnightcrawler

I really don't get what everyone thinks is so shocking about this revelation. X-men readers have speculated that Iceman has repressed homosexual feelings for at least the last 20 years (I remember reading it in the letters columns in the 90's).

It's not like every real person's sexuality is necessarily black and white: being attracted either men or women is equally natural, so being attracted to both must be as well. From that perspective, the fact that he's been in relationships with women does nothing to prove that he was ever not attracted to men as well, whether he was willing to admit it or not.

Lots of real people never acknowledge their attraction to certain people because of social norms; if you're already attracted to the body-type that society expects, it's easier for most to just never question that as their sexual identity. For a character with Iceman's fragile superego, openly admitting that he has those feelings would be more out of character than him actually having them.

If fluid sexuality is real, and it is, then there's nothing to make it out of character for any character, really.

I just don't see what the big deal is.

@daymareprime said:
    1. Zero problem with this turn, and I am a huge Iceman fan. In context it actually makes some sense with his history of relationships, his hard time becoming the Omega he was destined to be (because he was uncomfortable with his true self), etc...I don't even see a big problem with one of his friends pulling him aside and telling him he is gay (this happens in real life).
    2. With all the changes between character depending on timelines, alternate worlds, even Prodigy in Young Avengers and his powers changing him, it seems Marvel has determined that it is Nurture over Nature which creates these changes, which is a very dangerous stance to take when they are trying to be the "Champion of Diversity Comics". Just my half penny thought though.

1. pretty much.

2. that was one of the first things I thought too, and I can see how that's a slippery line here. But lots of people have homosexual feelings and never admit it, even to themselves, which seems to be more what's going on here.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, it is possible that Jean has just decided he'd be happier being gay and adjusted his mind.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

didn't Bobby date the Japanese girl in X-Factor? How is he gay?

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#156  Edited By DD208

There's no way Iceman is gay. Although he did seem to give Firestar the cold shoulder.

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By TrekGrey
    Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Personally I think him being gay kinda makes sense, he hasn't really been able to fully hold a relationship with a girl and even in them he has always acted more like their friend than anything else. Therefore it makes sense that this would be due to closeted gay feelings, and it is possible to closet them there's a name for it, denial. Think about: Iceman joined the x-men when he was already being persecuted for being a mutant so wouldn't want to further that persecution by coming out. At that young age it becomes very easy for a person to go into denial which can stay as there view for the rest of there life. So maybe we all shouldn't jump to conclusions about older Iceman being full straight and having always been.

agreed.

CaseyJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of the reason I like Iceman is because I find him so relatable; if they make adult 616 Iceman gay then it'll diminish this to an extent.

Why will making him gay make him less relatable? You can still relate to people with a different sexual orientation.

MikeyRatings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By MikeyRatings

Thought it was gonna be Hank if I'm completely honest.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh I can believe the repressed thing, ALL of bobby's gay friends have had to deal with bullying and harsh words and the like, and as bobby said, in the time that he grew up, being mutant and gay were both frowned upon, the only one he could hide was his sexuality, give him less to deal with.

kind of related, I find it funny that Jean Grey (who was always the saintly victim according to everyone) is becoming more and more like the version of Jean that Emma Frost and the cuckoos have hated for all these years lol.

He's always been the jokster because of his insecurities, and being with women could be him trying to trick himself into thinking he is straight. Now that he is "retconned" as gay, we pretty much have the same story (besides the mutant stuff of course), I'm 21 and have only been with 1 guy secretly, whereas I've got stories that my family recalls at reunions of me and my shenanigans with women.

I wasn't happy with how Jean did it, but at the same time, with what she said after made me think she could have said it to him was to stop him from repressing it, if Adult Bobby Is or was really gay, wouldn't it be better to prevent ALL of those years of repressing an important part of himself?

I only hope that they don't turn him into a stereotype, I loved hearing that Ultimate Colossus was gay because it would have been amazing if he was characteristized as his 616 version but just gay, instead of what they did "I like your boots" -lights comic on fire-

GeeWhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By GeeWhiz

Lets make all young characters homosexuell, to show everybody, how normal it is, if they want or not. Everybodys opinion is ok, as long you accept everything and everybody. It makes you a bad person, if you think different about this.

This liberal bullshit in the medias made me a real intolerant asshole. Kind of a different thing these days in europe.

I'm all for being tolerant and accepting but I feel the same as you concerning the media. For example, I sympathize with transgender people but we're now at a point where we criticize any woman as intolerant and bad if they feel uncomfortable with having a person who externally looks like a male in their gym dressing/showering room. Hey, this person claims they are really a woman so we must accept this.

Does this mean we must also accept a 60 year old man claiming he feels like a teenager inside despite looking like an old man on the outside and that he should be allowed to pursue junior high girls?

TrekGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By TrekGrey
    Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I checked a few sights and the news and it's being noticed. I think Bendis got what he wanted with this, he got the notoriety, he got the chatter, he got the anger and he'll get the hate. I don't think there's a writer in comics today who can equal what he can do with a character in terms of generating anger and controversy among that characters fans.

I'll wager that he sold this to the editor as 'hey, we'll split the fans and get them screaming at each other again."

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

In each of the other instances, those were new characters, with unique origins, who took up the mantle.
    Without reading this issue, it smacks of wishful retconning...or jean trolling him.

"Ok marvel employees, we have to throw diversity in the publics face, we already have a Muslim ms marvel, a black spiderman, a Hispanic ghost rider, what else could we do to another existing character........Oooooh make them gay! Ok bring out the spinning well of popular characters"

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

@saren said:

@andyphifer said:

This isn't a retcon. It is incredibly common for a person in his 30s to be gay and living a heterosexual lifestyle, dating women and denying their actual wants. I have known people like this in my life. It isn't a crazy thought for Bobby to be a gay man who just isn't admitting it to himself, nor is it crazy for him to have been with women in the past. Perhaps Young Bobby's experience living in 2015 America has made it easier for him to accept this about himself at this young age. It isn't erasing any of Old Bobby's past or Young Bobby's future to make it known that he was/is living as a closeted gay man.

Bobby had a story just two or three years ago where his subconscious created duplicate Icemen to protect everyone he had ever loved, and all of them were women. That was his subconscious at work, and you cannot just magically turn your subconscious straight no matter how deep in denial you are. He also had an arc when he was involved with Polaris about feeling inadequate as a result of competing for her affections with Havok. It is a retcon, and the bit about him being in perpetual denial is completely unnecessary, especially when Bobby has known Northstar, Anole, Rictor and Shatterstar for years. It might be incredibly common in certain places, but think of what place Iceman comes from. Is he afraid the X-Men of all people are going to have a problem with him being gay?

All of this. Brilliantly summarized.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#168  Edited By TDK_1997

I still cannot comprehend how it's possible that Bendis manages to write some pretty great issues in UXM and here in All-New X-Men - he is doing the biggest clusterf**k ever.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

dumbest move ever

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This might actually be cool (ha) if it were anyone other than Bendis...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@wilbertus: No one is 'shocked'. People are annoyed because it's utter nonsense.

EC2277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By EC2277

In my opinion the problem it isn't the sexuality of Bobby. The problem is how Bendis told this change in the sexuality of the character: there were some properly ways to tell that and some wrong ways to tell that. But I think Bendis choose the worst.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@caseyjustice:

Yeah, absolutely. But sadly gay characters are defined by their sexuality so much of the time. They become caricatures.

zackattack93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: I see what ur saying, I meant it as the characters mantle I guess now that I read ur post. I completely forgot about the previous Hispanic ghost rider. I'm also not digging marvels new changes, like the whole scarlet witch /quicksilver deal with magneto is not there father now.

Dcmarveljoseph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean:Bobby your gay

Bobby:And your a bitch

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
    AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least Jean didn't put him in front of everyone else I guess lol

GolDEnsPectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get it... I mean the present Iceman isn't gay but the time-displaced Iceman is gay. So does that mean the present day Iceman is closeted and has been for the last 50 some years? I know it wasn't hip to be out and gay in the 60s, so maybe he was and just oppressed those feelings??

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ostyo: Your face is both those things now.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zackattack93: Too true. I'm getting tired of these shitty retcons.

imblackjames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is f-ed up you dont do that to someone i get that its a comic but this isn't bendis being progressive its him being ignorant of what progressive is

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sense a plot to destroy titles for don't have film rights to.

Aeroman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Family Guy called it years ago lol

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I think it is stupid to have this two issues before the end. Either there is a rushed character arc or none at all. The whole adult isn't, teen is, is pretty weird and is as far as bad implications go just slightly behind Prodigys bisexuality by superpower.

Marvel already has enough gay Teenagers some with particularly big fanbases, they should just use them properly. Marvel needs older gay characters, and no not sexuality changes of existing characters.

The idea that anyone would be fine with a psychic searching through your mind like she pleases is ridiculous. The way to reveal it was bad and felt unnatural and again he should have called her up on intruding in his privacy instead of discussing his sexuallity with her.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotham331: How, would X-men of all titles possibly be destroyed by a guy character?

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its becoming difficult to remember a time when the phrase: "Written by Brian Michael Bendis" didn't make me audibly groan and roll my eyes. Bendis has become a total hack, only interested in making stories that fit the "6-issue outline" to fit in trades. Every story he writes seems to be five issues of conversations before he figures out he has to wrap the story in one issue and throws something out of left field. Nothing really happens in the X-books as everything is just wheel spinning until the next event.

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I really like this actually

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a good thing but would far prefer publishers made more interesting new gay characters as opposed to changing the sexuality of existing ones with reams of backstory. Bunker dressing all in pink for example made me face palm hard

I say this as a happy gay man

Looking forward to the new Midnighter book though!

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
    gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@idontlikebirds: Plus the Ghost Rider is more like a mantle that is passed from one person to another through history so it makes sense for there to be different Ghost Riders. And a person taking on the name of a dead character is reasonable,too. The problem I have is existing characters being changed simply to change them. That's wrong,if Bobby was or is gay,make him from the get go,but this second thought treatment of well known characters is getting/has gotten ridiculous.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andyphifer: can totally see your point and of course what your saying does happen regularly but if another writer comes along and changes this in a few months it will irritate me.

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme:

Let's see what happens with Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver no longer being mutants. From my understanding the new line on them is that they're inhumans. Thus, making them eligible to be used by Marvel Studios. I'm wondering if this is going to permeate through some other well known mutants in order for Marvel to capitalize on their film usage. Now Iceman being gay, could be bad writing, bad timing, poor planning, or whatever. I'm just curious to see what's happening with X-men as a title considering what happened to the Fantastic Four.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
    deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Cool now Kitty Pryde and Magik can be a couple. Maybe a double date.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis: My thoughts exactly. Posted something similar myself

peregrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 56

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NUw2PYUDxo Family Guy called this a while ago haha

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Casual reminder that Bendis has done nothing but absolutely ruin X-Men since he started the book. Horrendous and insulting characterisations, terrible storylines. Pretty much utter and complete shit.

He is largely responsible for me completely dropping all Marvel titles. Like a malignant tumour spreading all over the X-books and Marvel in general.

Sure let's casually change someone's sexual orientation. Because why put actual effort into this stuff right? Why even try to actually create believable characters when you can get by just throwing shit at a wall and hoping something sticks? The fanboys/girls will eat it up anyway. It's so quirky you guys! Teehee!

Here is a writer who should NEVER be allowed to write in a shared universe. He just can't do it. Leave him alone in a separate universe where he can change anything on a whim all he wants without anyone else being inconvenienced by it.

Seriously, fuck Bendis. I used to have at least some respect for him based on a few of his earlier titles but he's only gotten lazier and worse with time. For everyone's sake I hope he's off any and all major titles when Marvel reboots.

-This has been a public service announcement for people who actually care about characterisation and good writing.-

Sincerely,

Someone who read X-men for many years and wishes he got out sooner than he did. What has been read can't be unread.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gotham331: The fantastic four did not sell as well as they used to, the characters are still around as well and are apparently gonna be important in secret wars. Changing a character now, will not change anything about the movie rights, not without a lawsuit anyways, otherwise Wolverine would have been altered ages ago.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Secondary mutation!

Avatar image for 51stpresidentofplanetneutral
    51stPresidentofPlanetNeutral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

One question: Why gay? Bisexual would probably make a lot more sense. True, it's normal for someone who's spent most of their life being of the heterosexual proclivity to find out later in life that they've always been attracted to people of the same sex. That being said, what does this say for the current Iceman? I guess I'm one of the only people who doesn't see what kind of doors this opens up for Iceman that could expand his character for the definitive better.

Also, why is it that no telepath in Marvel knows what the word "privacy" means, and also gets to do whatever they want?

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One question: Why gay? Bisexual would probably make a lot more sense. True, it's normal for someone who's spent most of their life being of the heterosexual proclivity to find out later in life that they've always been attracted to people of the same sex. That being said, what does this say for the current Iceman? I guess I'm one of the only people who doesn't see what kind of doors this opens up for Iceman that could expand his character for the definitive better.

Also, why is it that every telepath in Marvel doesn't know what the word "privacy" means, and also gets to do whatever they want?

Right? What the fuck! Logically there shouldn't even have been talk about his sexuality, because he should have been to angry about the invasion of his privacy.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.