Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

order of major story arcs

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HAWK2916

Im new to the forum and just now trying to get into the xmen comics. I know im extremely late on this and I definitely cant go back and start from issue #1 and read everything to present day. I wanted to get a list of the major storylines or arcs that would get me caught up and give me a good basis going forward. I started with the Marvel Masterworks Xmen vol 1 as well as MM Uncanny. I've also read Dark Phoenix saga, Days of future past, God loves Man Kills. Recently purchased Mutant Massacre and Fall of Mutants.

So i need to know what storylines to follow next. At the store im seeing Phoenix endsong and warsong and the new age plus all these origins and new xmen, young xmen, essential xmen and its a bit confusing.

Can you guys that are more experienced give some help on this?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#2  Edited By McKlayn

If you want to start reading RIGHT NOW, like the new comics. You basically need to read the Messiah Series, uh god i can't exactly remember the order. But Messiah Complex, Messiah War, House of M(this was before the Messiah stuff) Second Coming and then AvX (as well as AVX: Consequences)

Ill check the exact order of those and get back with you soon if some one else doesnt before me, i know the stories but i get them all confused on to what they are called lol

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By jhole

In terms of essential storylines to bring you up to speed: House of M Decimation Deadly genesis? (not essential but starts cyclops on the road as badass mutant leader) Messiah compleX Manifest destiny Messiah War Utopia Second coming Schism Avengers Vs X-men However personally I'd recommend going back a little further and reading New mutants: academy X, New X-men (follows on from New mutants post HoM but before messiah complex, it's much better than half the essential titles), Age of X (after utopia but before second coming, continuity light and doesn't really have any impact on the current state of the xmen, but still a great read). Also, I'd recommend the entirety of whedons astonishing xmen run.

jhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jhole

Sorry about the lack of punctuation, i typed this as a list on my phone but when posting it turned it into prose.

emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By emperium

I was just like you about 1 year ago. Got into comics with DC's New 52 but I wanted to try something marvel. I decided on X-Men. Though my path was very different, I managed to buy X-Men (vol 2/1991) from 1-200s, I liked it so much that I continued to expand my X-Men library, of course hunting for everything in issues was becoming quite hard so I decided to grab trade paperbacks. Though, little to do with current stuff, the Age of Apocalypse was a very nice and very massive omnibus book that collects around 40 issues. It's a really good story though. Moving along I also found the this volume between issues 114 and 156 (otherwise known as Grant Morrison's New X-Men run) has quite a lot of impact and relevance with the House of M - Messiah Complex - Messiah War - Second Coming and AvX story arcs. Finally going back to less related but still a read it if you can, Astonishing X-Men 1-24 + Giant Size (or Astonishing X-Men Omnibus, aka. Joss Whedon's run).

If you are simply looking for a clean chronological order list of story arcs here it is:

borges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By borges

Here is the reading order I took (if memory serves) after finishing Morrison/Whedon's run:

house of m

decimation: day after

deadly genesis

shiar

endangered

messiah complex

original sin

divided

x23 innocence lost/ target x

x force volumes 1 - 2

messiah war

x force volume 3

manifest destiny

uncanny x-men / dark avengers: utopia

second coming

birth of generation hope

gen hope future four letter word

uncanny x force to issue 12

schism

uncanny x force to issue 19

AvX

I trimmed a fair amount of fat; yet, what's noted, in all fairness, gives a well-read account for the most part.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By HAWK2916

Thanks for the insight. I got a lot of catching up to do for sure

Sn4tcH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sn4tcH

Not to bump an old thread, but I'm bumping and old thread.

I'm trying my hand at reading some x-men, and I like emperiums list above. However I want to start even earlier than The Dark Pheonix Saga. I'd like to start even further back. What major arcs before the Dark Pheonix would you all recommends? And are there major arcs in OTHER x-books that aren't listed above that I should check out? (And it can be chronological too, like a modern retelling like Season One and Origin)

Avatar image for daringspeedster
    DaringSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DaringSpeedster

What would be 2000s major story arcs that i could get on TPB?

DaSalvadore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DaSalvadore

@sn4tch said:

I'm trying my hand at reading some x-men, and I like emperiums list above. However I want to start even earlier than The Dark Pheonix Saga. I'd like to start even further back. What major arcs before the Dark Pheonix would you all recommends? And are there major arcs in OTHER x-books that aren't listed above that I should check out? (And it can be chronological too, like a modern retelling like Season One and Origin)

As I'm mostly an X-Men fan, I'll answer that question for those who have a similar question to this.

There's almost nothing before Dark Phoenix Saga that's worth a read. Note, however, I said almost nothing.

The Original Years (Uncanny X-Men 1-66) are somewhat cringe-worthy to read but lays the foundation of the characters. You see Xavier's willingness to mess with people's minds, removing memories or even a mutant's ability to access or even be aware of their powers (he did it at least twice), lied to the X-Men multiple times about losing his powers/situations/dying and "gifted" Jean with telepathy. All in all, you understand that Xavier isn't a paragon of virtue in the first run.

You see that the original team weren't all hugs and kisses through their internal scuffles (including one where McCoy shows his arrogance in dealing with Unus without talking with anyone else). You also get introduced to Karl Lykos/Sauron (not my fav character), Havok and Polaris are introduced and you see that not everyone thinks spending their lives fighting as X-Men is the be-all, end-all.

Negatives - Magneto is nothing but a villain and I want to strangle Toad. The writing/dialogue is old school comics and so the story-telling isn't always the best.

"The Professor Xavier and the X-Men" mini-series is an 18 issue retelling of the original 66 books, taking the most important parts and updating the artwork for what we're used in the (relatively) modern era. You also see some updated script as well as extra scenes (notably between Magneto and Scarlet Witch).

The Hidden Years is okay but rather hit-and-miss for me. Highlights include Pre-X-Men Storm, Jean in space with FF meeting Phoenix for "the first time," and McCoy straddling that line between genius and arrogance to become blue and furry.

The Second Genesis run brings in all the fav characters. If you're going to read this then make sure to read the Classic X-Men versions as they include extra small stories that add more to the characters and gives a little more weight to Thunderbird's character and death. Wolverine comes across as a one-note character except in these extras that have him have meaningful conversations with people as well as show his motivation for being a hard-arse on the team.

After this, it gets a bit messy. You've got random plots by Magneto, the rather strange build up to the Phoenix Saga involving Lillandra's arrival and the M'Kraan Crystal escapade. The Phoenix Saga itself is somewhat okay but I don't think the story-telling of the non-Phoenix parts are that great. What I will say is that you get a very nice Pre-Muir Island Saga (the Shadow King one) with Proteus' first appearance and that's definitely worth the read.

So yeah, while there's a lot pre Dark Phoenix Saga, it's all about if you can enjoy the older style of story and dialogue. I admit I struggle in this department, but there's still highlights in those older books even for me.

Takeshi57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sn4tch said:

As I'm mostly an X-Men fan, I'll answer that question for those who have a similar question to this.

There's almost nothing before Dark Phoenix Saga that's worth a read. Note, however, I said almost nothing.

The Original Years (Uncanny X-Men 1-66) are somewhat cringe-worthy to read but lays the foundation of the characters. You see Xavier's willingness to mess with people's minds, removing memories or even a mutant's ability to access or even be aware of their powers (he did it at least twice), lied to the X-Men multiple times about losing his powers/situations/dying and "gifted" Jean with telepathy. All in all, you understand that Xavier isn't a paragon of virtue in the first run.

You see that the original team weren't all hugs and kisses through their internal scuffles (including one where McCoy shows his arrogance in dealing with Unus without talking with anyone else). You also get introduced to Karl Lykos/Sauron (not my fav character), Havok and Polaris are introduced and you see that not everyone thinks spending their lives fighting as X-Men is the be-all, end-all.

Negatives - Magneto is nothing but a villain and I want to strangle Toad. The writing/dialogue is old school comics and so the story-telling isn't always the best.

"The Professor Xavier and the X-Men" mini-series is an 18 issue retelling of the original 66 books, taking the most important parts and updating the artwork for what we're used in the (relatively) modern era. You also see some updated script as well as extra scenes (notably between Magneto and Scarlet Witch).

The Hidden Years is okay but rather hit-and-miss for me. Highlights include Pre-X-Men Storm, Jean in space with FF meeting Phoenix for "the first time," and McCoy straddling that line between genius and arrogance to become blue and furry.

The Second Genesis run brings in all the fav characters. If you're going to read this then make sure to read the Classic X-Men versions as they include extra small stories that add more to the characters and gives a little more weight to Thunderbird's character and death. Wolverine comes across as a one-note character except in these extras that have him have meaningful conversations with people as well as show his motivation for being a hard-arse on the team.

After this, it gets a bit messy. You've got random plots by Magneto, the rather strange build up to the Phoenix Saga involving Lillandra's arrival and the M'Kraan Crystal escapade. The Phoenix Saga itself is somewhat okay but I don't think the story-telling of the non-Phoenix parts are that great. What I will say is that you get a very nice Pre-Muir Island Saga (the Shadow King one) with Proteus' first appearance and that's definitely worth the read.

So yeah, while there's a lot pre Dark Phoenix Saga, it's all about if you can enjoy the older style of story and dialogue. I admit I struggle in this department, but there's still highlights in those older books even for me.

You forgot the buildup to Beast becoming blue and furry in Amazing Adventures 11-17 and Hulk 161, which takes place right after the original 1-66 run (or after Hidden Years, if you read HY before the date it was initially printed).

Also, before Second Genesis and after Beast turns into a beast, there's a 3-parter where Wolverine shows up for the first time in issues Hulk 180-182. It's optional, but may as well see where Wolverine came from.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.