Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

New X-Men...separate team?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay so someone submitted having the New X-Men listed as a new Team. I actually debated this myself and this is why I haven't personally accepted or rejected that submission. When I wrote up X-23's info, I just placed her in the X-Men even though she officially isn't on that team. I'll also admit I stopped reading New X-Men (when it was still Academy) but did pick up a few when X-23 did join.

So for those of you reading (I am going to restart) are they called or referred to as the New X-Men or are they just students at Xavier's that have some adventures? (This would be a lot easier if they still had the New Mutants).

Avatar image for captain_cascader
    Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Captain Cascader

I really don't consider them a seperate team, it just happens to be a different book covering different members of the x-men. Uncanny and new x-men crossed over quite a bit.

They are all x-men, it's just the focus of characters that are different in the books.

Basically unless some outsider person goes and calls out a team name, like... "oh, here comes some members of X-Force" I don't consider it a team. It's the same for teams that are just new lineups. Sure, there's two version of the new mutants, but there's also two 5 versions of Robin. It's the same concept.
    Post Edited:2006-12-14 18:32:22

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gmanfromheck

But it's the "new" kids at the school that are in this book. They took "New" from the X-Men comic and put it on X-Men Academy. So I don't think they're official "X-Men."

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Captain Cascader

G-Man says:

"But it's the "new" kids at the school that are in this book. They took "New" from the X-Men comic and put it on X-Men Academy. So I don't think they're official "X-Men.""

If that's the case, then why would they even have x-men in the title? Isn't the word "new" just an adjective? I just see anyone going around being like... hey, this is a job for the "new x-men".

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By gmanfromheck

That's my question, are they X-Men or not. Why are they called New X-Men? So Marvel can cash in on the X-Men name. More people would buy New X-Men over New Mutants. I just haven't kept up with the title. I know different teachers had their own teams and Emma had her New Hellions or somthing. I just don't know if they use "New X-Men" or not. And are they considered members of the X-Men?

And why is it that you and I are the only ones discussing this? C'mon people!

tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By tyger_raven

Well, considering that I stopped collecting New X-Men after the real writers of the book got booted, I really can't say much with any authority. But, my thinking is that they probably don't call themselves anything, maybe students at Xavier Academy because they're not really X-Men. The book is called New X-Men because it'll sell more with X-Men in the title.

I wished they would have kept it New Mutants with the original writers and characters still in the book. If they wanted to showcase Hellion, Mercury, Rockslide, and that sad excuse for a she-wolverine, then why didn't they create a Hellions book or something.

Yeah, I'm bitter. :-)

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
    BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#7  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

You're right tyger, they really don't call themselves anything. I see them as getting trained to be a new team, but not one at the moment.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay so that's three for New X-Men not being an official "team" here?

Guess we can just put all them kids with the X-Men. Maybe we should change "Member of..." to "Affiliated with..."

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

I'd like them to be a team, but they're not really addressed as "New X-Men" so I guess they aren't.

tyger_raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tyger_raven

G-Man says:

"Okay so that's three for New X-Men not being an official "team" here? Guess we can just put all them kids with the X-Men. Maybe we should change "Member of..." to "Affiliated with...""

I'd create a new "Team" called Xavier's Academy because technically that's how they would probably be classified if someone in MU were to create a database like ours. :)

fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By fesak  Moderator

tyger_raven says:

"G-Man says:
    "Okay so that's three for New X-Men not being an official "team" here? Guess we can just put all them kids with the X-Men. Maybe we should change "Member of..." to "Affiliated with...""
    I'd create a new "Team" called Xavier's Academy because technically that's how they would probably be classified if someone in MU were to create a database like ours. :)"

I agree, create a new grouping called X-Men Students.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck

Okay I thought about this and what everyone said. I just created the "Xavier Instute" as a "team." So any student there can be listed including the "New X-Men."

Captain Cascader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Captain Cascader

G-Man says:

"Okay I thought about this and what everyone said. I just created the "Xavier Instute" as a "team." So any student there can be listed including the "New X-Men.""

I fixed your mispelling. The page is located here.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

The [main characters of] New X-men are now officially a squad of their own that Cyclops has charged with "helping keep the other students safe". They don't have a name yet though. I don't think the "Xavier Institute" team stuff should be changed, I'm just saying.

Liverwurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Liverwurst

There are a lot of different squads with different names so maybe they should be called the new x men because there are so many groups of both

Christy Lovell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Christy Lovell

I think that they should just call them all XMen because they are all Professor Xavier's students. It would only be fair.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gmanfromheck

But they haven't "graduated" to being X-Men. They're still in training. Like it was, what's her name, Armor that was moved up in Astonishing X-Men. Just like New Mutants weren't X-Men and Generation X weren't.

Impact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Impact

Or How about The New Xavier Academy Student Team AA class

Impact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Impact

Or perhaps the lower case x-men?

Liverwurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Liverwurst

Christy Lovell says:

"I think that they should just call them all XMen because they are all Professor Xavier's students. It would only be fair."

They're not called the X-Men not because of Xavier but because of their eXtra power, it's true

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Impact says:

"Or perhaps the lower case x-men?"

Best idea. :P

Kravicia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Kravicia

"The team's name is widely said to be derived from the fact that mutants have "extra" powers due to their "X-Factor" gene (a word which was coined by Professor X). Co-creator Stan Lee recalled in his book Son of Origins of Marvel Comics and elsewhere that he devised the series title after Marvel publisher Martin Goodman turned down the initial name, "The Mutants." In addition to this "official" explanation, the X-Men are widely regarded (both within the Marvel Universe as well as by the readers of the series) to have been named after Xavier himself. In Uncanny X-Men #309, Xavier claims that the name "X-Men" was never intended to be a self-tribute."

Stan Lee & other Marvel execs have also said in "recent" interviews that its a mixture of both...

blight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By blight

I dont feel that they are offically X-Men until they are invited into the group. For example when the the first new mutants were at Xavier's they aren't consindered x-men until charles or the x-men gave them the ok, or with the generation x they have close ties to the group but it wasn't apart of the main team. They're are the teams that's in training to become part of the main team, you also look at some members of each team are with the x-men; Cannonball, Chamber, Jubilee former, Husk.

Frisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Frisco

tyger_raven says:

"Well, considering that I stopped collecting New X-Men after the real writers of the book got booted, I really can't say much with any authority. But, my thinking is that they probably don't call themselves anything, maybe students at Xavier Academy because they're not really X-Men. The book is called New X-Men because it'll sell more with X-Men in the title.I wished they would have kept it New Mutants with the original writers and characters still in the book. If they wanted to showcase Hellion, Mercury, Rockslide, and that sad excuse for a she-wolverine, then why didn't they create a Hellions book or something.Yeah, I'm bitter. :-)"

I totally agree! Nunzio and Christina were awesome.; and I stopped reading the book when they were booted as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.