Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

new reader, any recommendations?

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By freeballer

I know recently some of the x-men titles have undergone a change. I want to jump into some x-men but no idea where to start.

Since some of the titles are new, like "wolverine and x-men" is it better to start at issue #1 of that or go back further?

Did all these change during the schism event or even further back? Can someone suggest some starting issues, or storyline?

I prefer not to be in the dark too much. Its harder (for me) to pick up a title mid-series/story and get into it.

Thanks,

Geo

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By Hawkeye446

@freeballer said:

I know recently some of the x-men titles have undergone a change. I want to jump into some x-men but no idea where to start.

Since some of the titles are new, like "wolverine and x-men" is it better to start at issue #1 of that or go back further?

Did all these change during the schism event or even further back? Can someone suggest some starting issues, or storyline?

I prefer not to be in the dark too much. Its harder (for me) to pick up a title mid-series/story and get into it.

Thanks,

Geo

This is actually really easy. X-Men right?

So, if you want really recent, then Start with Schism, then X-Men regenesis #1 (one-Shot).

And then pick up any of the regenesis issues.

For instance,

Uncanny X-Force #19

X-Men #20

New Mutants #33

Uncanny X-Men #1

Wolverine and the X-Men #1

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Pbott

I also recommend going back and starting at Uncanny X-force #1, It is by far the best X-book out.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By DarkChris

It depends. From recent series, Uncanny X-Force is a must. You can begin with Uncanny X-Men #1 in some weeks. And before it, X-Men Regenesis. If you don't want to read the recent series, you can read Astonishing X-Men. It's a masterpiece.

Pbott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pbott

@DarkChris said:

It depends. From recent series, Uncanny X-Force is a must. You can begin with Uncanny X-Men #1 in some weeks. And before it, X-Men Regenesis. If you don't want to read the recent series, you can read Astonishing X-Men. It's a masterpiece.

Well Astonishing is 1-24, not so much the recent stuff.

DarkChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By DarkChris

@Pbott: Still, it's the best X-Men series and a great starting point. He will appreciate those characters if he reads it and then he can continue with recent stuff.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freeballer

Awesome,

It seems I don't have too many issues to get caught up. I guess this is a good time for new readers with the start of new books, etc..

I'll start with prelude to schism and see how it goes. Astonishing did catch my eye, seeing Joss Whedon was attached to it. I might read it at the same time.

thanks for the replies

1badwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By 1badwolf

You might want to keep an eye on this site http://4geekreviews.wordpress.com/2011/09/17/i-don%e2%80%99t-want-to-back-track-what%e2%80%99s-going-on-now-september-2011/ They post monthly what is going on in each book with rosters, jumping on points where each arc is at etc. Whedon's stuff was very good You don't need to read Prelude to Schism to read Schism. It really didn't connect to it at all in my opinion.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I would recommend the Dark Phoenix Saga and Joss Whedon's run of "Astonishing X-Men" They are truly masterpieces!

Avatar image for hotsaucecommittee
    HotSauceCommittee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read Schism

Then pick up  (and carry on with)

Wolverine and the X-Men #1
    X-Factor #230
    Entire run of Uncanny X-Force
    Uncanny X-Men #1

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By madrid_san

If you want to get some background info on Hope and how/why she is viewed as a Messiah, read THE MESSIAH COMPLEX TPB and follow up with some X-FORCE (was released before Uncanny X-Force) and some CABLE. It chronicles the story of Cable and a growing up Hope as Bishop is hot on their trails trying to assisinate young Hope before she messes up his future (he goes nuts!!!) Pretty good reads which lead to SECOND COMING. Even some Wolverine would help out as well as it shows drastic changes in Logan and his views on children. :) Schism and Regenesis are must reads and then you my friend are all caught up :)

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By freeballer

Thanks for the link 1badwolf.

I'm just getting back into comics so anything helps. I love how the site breaks down solo/one shots, schism and the x-men books; including x-23, which so far I like.

It seems then that prelude isn't necessary to get the gist of what's going on then. What about x-treme? I see nobody is listing them in reading list but Issues #20-23 say "schism part...." I assume these are not necessary?

I'll put dark phoenix and messiah complex on my short list. Second comming sounds pretty good too.

Thanks for the suggestions and letting me know they are in tpb - those are great for work.

This was definitely a good time to get into these comics. Not a lot of work to get caught up on current events.

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By madrid_san

no prob ;) Extreme X-Men's Schism is unrelated though as it was first published years ago. Just got back into comics myself a year ago. I read everything from the Decimation to where we are at now. Lots of reading my friend but it satisfied the fanboy in me. When you have time, you should check out X-Factor. It's also an awesome book. Each character plays off the other in awesome ways. I just started picking up the trades and now it's on my pull list.

tsorfamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By tsorfamme

@Rabbitearsblog: Can't go wrong with X-men 129 (v1) It's a favorite of mine.

Avatar image for terminator_worshipper
    TERMINATOR_WORSHIPPER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tsorfamme said:

1badwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 1badwolf

@freeballer No problem :). i was out for 15 years, and spent a logn time trying to get all of the stories straight and in order. Many spoilers later, I decided to try and make a list. It always annoyed me when I missed some little 1-shot, or story in a side book that wound up being important. Trades are my friends. I agree with getting X-Factor (as I'm sure you picked up:) ). I've never read X-Treme X-Men, and don't feel like I'm missing out, hence why it's not on the sight, sorry I can't help you out with it, but as madrid san said, X-Treme X-Men Schism is not related to current Schism. It is a pretty easy time to start, all of them are at decent jumping on points.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freeballer

yeah. I've been out for several years myself.

Trades have been great. Satisfies the comic fan in me without spending too much. I'm much more interested in story and I don't have to worry if I have all the issues or that one shot.

Now with digital comics being sold by the companies and netbooks/tablets its alot easier too. I'm going back on some other titles now that I was caught up. Probably do the same with X-Men.

Thanks for the help with x-treme's schism. It'd be such a pain just to find out I need another trip to the comic shop to pick up an issue halfway through

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I think if you start with Wolverine and the X-men you will not be lost. But if you want to totally understand the story you may want to start with schism.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By freeballer

it may be for the best to read the whole story. Besides there aren't that many issues to schism, so it won't take very long.

I peeked at the first couple pages. Looked pretty good

BTW. I haven't mentioned it before but I appreciate all those who posted and

didn't make a person feel they asked a stupid question :)

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By madrid_san

No way freeballer ask as many as you like. All of us have to start somewhere dude ;) It's always a pleasure to help out a fellow X-reader!

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21  Edited By AgeofHurricane

X-Treme X-Men's Schism may be un-related to the current Schism, but it's still a worth while read and if you think about it, it's basically just the women of the X-Men fighting instead of the men and nobody chooses sides + no split between the X-Men.

tsorfamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tsorfamme

I think it's a bad sign for Marvel that no one mentioned any of the .1 issues that came out.

madrid_san

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By madrid_san

I love the .1 issues. We just mentioned the TPBs first and I am sure our friend will learn of the .1 issues and go from there :)

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@tsorfamme said:

I'll have to check that one out!

1badwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 1badwolf

@tsormamme I don't think any of the x.1 issues were really all that great a place to jump on, especially considering everything that happened since. They weren't bad, but not good places to start.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By freeballer

thats good to hear. Some people forget what it was like at first... unfortunately

some bad-as-- x-men women? I might take a second look then lol

I assume you mean the in-between issues when you refer to the .1 issues?

I'm picking up some schism issues tonight and after I stop by wiki I might have some... (questions)

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Edgeworth_11

Start with Uncanny X-Men 1, just released today. I haven't read it (yet) but it is getting some great reviews.@freeballer said:

thats good to hear. Some people forget what it was like at first... unfortunately

some bad-as-- x-men women? I might take a second look then lol

I assume you mean the in-between issues when you refer to the .1 issues?

I'm picking up some schism issues tonight and after I stop by wiki I might have some... (questions)

1badwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 1badwolf

@freeballer. The .1 issues were books that were little stand alone stories that took place in each book. I'm pretty sure all of them got one. They were advertised as being the best place to start for new readers, but I don't think that's how it panned out. I can't imagine a new reader being able to follow UXM or UXF .1. Bring one the post-wiki questions! Be careful though, you can have stuff spoiled quickly.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By freeballer

plan on finally sitting down with schism tonight and relaxing. I have to wait until next payday for some new books but my only other series right now is spider-man.

That makes sense in a way. But, for me, a one issue story wouldn't interest me too much. By the time you get into it, its already 3/4 done.

I hope the wiki writers are considerate enough to put spoiler before the actual spoilers..

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By freeballer

Its been a little while since I posted but I'd like to thank everyone again for posting here.

a little update:

A work friend, seeing I was reading the first couple pages of schism, lent me the first 20 or so issues of x-force, x-men, new mutants and generation hope..

So I started from "the start" and i've read the first couple issues now.

Curse of the Mutants is just starting to get interesting. Having resurected dracula, hogan being infected...

Hope is just starting to make sense to me but too soon to make an choice either way. Same with x-force and new mutants...

One thing, many of these titles have other "specials" including fear itself. Is that storyline worth looking into? I haven't looked too far ahead

because of spoilers...

Nightcrawler23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nightcrawler23

I reccomend Uncanny X-force, it balances action with classic X-men elements. Although, it's only a matter of time before some writer cancels it because of some really important x-event, and because he or she has a reallu important reason.

freeballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By freeballer

thanks. hopefully that won't happen to another title I read :/

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

@freeballer: I wouldn't pick up prelude to schism if I were you. If you do, you'll go into Schism expecting the "threat" to be on an Onslaught level or higher. IMO it is not necessary, unless you want to know some back story. You might want to pick up Wolverine #10-14, before you start reading the 5 part schism; Wolverine's actions will seem less out of character. Besides those, I think the obvious picks would be X-Force and Wolverine and the X-men (if you enjoy the vibe of the late 90's and early 2000's animated shows).

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By VanAce

If you don't want to go too far back Schism is the place to start then read Regenesis followed by the number ones and any titles that have been labelled Regenesis.

If you want to go further I suggest House of M.

Myself I started reading x-men (and comics in general) at the very start of Mike Carey's run and have been reading X-men ever since. I then jumped on Uncanny after the Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire arc. I then read House of M a few years later and now I am slowly filling the gap between House of M and where I started.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.