Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Messiah Complex vs. Messiah War vs. Second Coming

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By doordoor123

I personally like Second Coming the best. I wasnt really interested in the other crossovers. But im deeply into Second Coming so far.

Omegaman10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Omegaman10

I go with Messiah War but thats just because i havent read too much of Second coming yet, though i didnt like how Bishop became a bad guy.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jordama

Second Coming.  

War was very boring to me. It didn't really seem to affect the marvel universe, it was just kinda there. Complex was cool at the time, but I really like Second Coming and was actually really excited with every issue. With everything going on in the X-Men world this is like the peak.
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ssejllenrad

I can only pick Complex cause I am not currently reading 2nd coming. War is ok but not as good as Complex.

jlat89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By jlat89

Well if Second Coming continues to impress (chapter 6 speedbump aside) I'd say that.
    I didn't read War, but CompleX was good

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By jordama
    @Pheonix of the white throne:
    Yeah Messiah war was kinda random compared to CompleX and Second Coming.  
    Avatar image for craig_lovecraft
    Craig Lovecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Craig Lovecraft

I think I'd have to pick Messiah CompleX, but Second Coming would be a close second. I thought Second Coming became a bit less interesting after Hope and Cable got to Utopia, I wish they had been on the run a little longer. Also, I wasn't a big fan of Messiah War, possibly because of the smaller number of characters involved.

Avatar image for eisforextinction
    EisforExtinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 68

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By EisforExtinction

I read all of CompleX and loved it, started reading Messiah War and that it was so bad I stopped, and I bought all of Second Coming and haven't read it yet.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By N7_Normandy

I loved messiah complex and second coming.
     Messiah war wasn't quite as good, but I loved the return of Stryfe.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Icon

Second Coming was as good as Messiah CompleX and a lot better than Messiah War. :]

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @Edamame said:
    " @N7_Normandy said:
    "Messiah war wasn't quite as good, but I loved the return of Stryfe. "
    I agree.

@Icon said:
    " Second Coming was as good as Messiah CompleX and a lot better than Messiah War. :] "
    What would it be between Second Coming and Messiah Complex?  = D "

That's a tough choice.  I think messiah complex was a better thrill ride and was more mysterious overall, which made it really exciting throughout.  Second coming on the other hand was great as well and had more wow moments; hope's power manifestation against Bastion was pretty sweet.  I don't think I can really decide which is better.  They worth both so good. 
    NexusOfLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By NexusOfLight

Not as much love for the war? Well, I gotta say I loved it. I like X-Force more than I like the main X-men as far as the story goes. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost are definitely up there in terms of my favorite writers. Yeah, it was more of a stepping stone in between the Complex and the Coming, but it was a good step. Stryfe was cool. Deadpool made an appearance. The stuff that X-Force went through that led up to the War was cool. Everything just meshed well together.

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By N7_Normandy
    @NexusOfLight said:

" Not as much love for the war? Well, I gotta say I loved it. I like X-Force more than I like the main X-men as far as the story goes. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost are definitely up there in terms of my favorite writers. Yeah, it was more of a stepping stone in between the Complex and the Coming, but it was a good step. Stryfe was cool. Deadpool made an appearance. The stuff that X-Force went through that led up to the War was cool. Everything just meshed well together. "

oh don't get me wrong; I loved messiah war.  The whole arcangel/apocalypse storyline was cool.  Stryfe was awesome as well.  I just love it a little less than complex and second coming.  It's still an amazing arc though 

I'm a big fan of x-force and am glad it's continuing even though the war is over.
    Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icon
    @N7_Normandy said:
    " @NexusOfLight said:

" Not as much love for the war? Well, I gotta say I loved it. I like X-Force more than I like the main X-men as far as the story goes. Craig Kyle and Chris Yost are definitely up there in terms of my favorite writers. Yeah, it was more of a stepping stone in between the Complex and the Coming, but it was a good step. Stryfe was cool. Deadpool made an appearance. The stuff that X-Force went through that led up to the War was cool. Everything just meshed well together. "

oh don't get me wrong; I loved messiah war.  The whole arcangel/apocalypse storyline was cool.  Stryfe was awesome as well.  I just love it a little less than complex and second coming.  It's still an amazing arc though  I'm a big fan of x-force and am glad it's continuing even though the war is over. "
    I agree with all of this. 
    Earthfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Earthfall

Second Coming, it was by far the most compelling and entertaining crossover.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Grendel

To myself they are all satisfying in their own way.

Messiah Complex deserves it's accolades for such a well done team effort.  Probably one of the most successful X-crossovers where the quality of the writing lived up to the sales.
     I'm a giant Stryfe fan and Messiah War was the first time the character was given any justice since X-Cutioner's Song. I felt it was a little slow when I initially read it but it now holds a place on my shelf (in hardcover form).

Second Coming was a fast paced action flick that made for good summer reading but really was sort of a let down at the end. But maybe not revealing entirely what or who Hope is will keep her an interesting character.

My only beef with the trilogy is so much was built up with Bishop thinking Hope would destroy the world (And the writers teasing that he would end up being somewhat correct) that it lost all that stalled momentum that was in Messiah War. The assumption was "Oh, what we all expected to go down in MW will go down in SC" and it really didn't. They also hardcore dropped the ball with Elixir finding out about Hope which made me think that it was sort of like LOST where the writers had a vague idea of how they wanted to end it.  

Perhaps all of this will eventually add up to something in Generation Hope and the loose threads will be trimmed. I don't need all the answers to enjoy a comic and the first part of Five Lights is certainly teasing the identity of Hope's real father. Still feels like Second Coming should have had a little more to it. I found messiah War ultimately more fulfilling.

bleedingheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bleedingheart

I really enjoyed them all, but I'd have to go with Second Coming. I just liked how it all came to a head. And I've come to really like Hope, especially when her and Dani went at for some reason.

howlettgrowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By howlettgrowl

I really digged Second Coming because Cyclops went through a lot of crap and important characters died and how we finally see Hope for who she really is...

Dek7264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By Dek7264

I was kinda disappointed by Second Coming. I was expecting a few more answers about Hope and I didn't really feel like the story resolved enough of those questions. On the other hand, I thought Messiah Complex did a great job setting up the entire story.  

Despite my slight disappointment with Second Coming, I still intend to pick up the hardcover when it comes out and read the whole trilogy from start to finish.
    krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By krisis

Alright, I've had this bookmarked for TWO MONTHS waiting to catch up with you all, and now I've finally made it.

1. Messiah Complex  
    2. Second Coming 
    3. Messiah War. 

Why?  

1. Messiah Complex was a complex story that set into motion a few amazing years of X-Men. It was also fun to read - a war on multiple fronts with a lot of double-crosses and no clear victor.   

2. Second Coming was by far the biggest prolonged burst of sheer action ever perpetrated in X-comics, but it relied heavily on reading X-Force to understand. Beautiful art, crisp pace, but a little lacking in soul 

3. Messiah War was a confusing muddle mostly rewarding to people who had read X-Men prior to 1995.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second Coming for me.

igeptx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me Messiah Complex hold up the best.

TristanHeron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Messiah Complex best. There is some great character development, and it does a good job of weaving the stories of X-Men (Legacy) and X-Factor into one epic story. I like that X-Factor Investigations are central to the crossover too.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Koays  Online

Zombie thread.

Complex has the best character stuff, with Gambit and Mystique going through all the motions and the dynamics of each group of X-Men sent after Cable are always on display even if the group wasnt a team with book about them or in the crossover.

Second Coming is like an X-Men summer action movie with less serious character development but a shit ton more character moments.

Messiah Wars happened. Its a good story arc. But by comparison its limited in scale and in relevance when put up against the other too.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messiah Complex.

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. SC
    2. MC
    3. MW
    adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adamTRMM

Messiah Complex will never get the stench of what they did to Bishop out of it. It made hunt for Hope much more personal and ambiguous, but the new characterization he got as the result, that of an unapologetic time serial killer was simply nonsensical.

I still think they need to reveal some powerful entity manipulated the timestream to retrochange his that it will be possible for that whole plot to make sense and also reveal Bishop was only half-guilty. Some powerful entity that wanted Hope dead as an infant for any kind of reasons.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@adamtrmm: yeah I agree. It should have never been about Bishop in the 1st place. Maybe they could have used some others from his timeline to play that role or even just having Stryfe or create some other character to handle it rather than Bishop. At this I guess they could do a HydraCap type thing and show that it wasn't the same Bishop or like you said some possession like maybe Shadowking or Cassandra Nova or something

Puny_Banner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messiah Complex.

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Second Coming will always be favorite X-men story in art and plot. Sucks that later stories straight up ruin it.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Messiah Complex.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

yeah I agree. It should have never been about Bishop in the 1st place. Maybe they could have used some others from his timeline to play that role or even just having Stryfe or create some other character to handle it rather than Bishop. At this I guess they could do a HydraCap type thing and show that it wasn't the same Bishop or like you said some possession like maybe Shadowking or Cassandra Nova or something

At this point, our beloved Dark Hope story is the only way I guess, and I don't think anyone will object. Putting someone like SK would be a nice way out, CN makes sense as well, but I hate that character so it won't be a personal pick lol Timebrokers maybe, or some M'Kraan Crystal anomaly with Jahf involved even, something crazy, but that makes sense with continuity and mythos exploration involved, like them good old times... ugh.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By adamTRMM

Oh and Second Coming wins. The structure of this story was on another level even though the climax really wasn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.