Marvel June 2017 Solicitations Preview: X-Men Gold, Iceman, Jean Grey

#1 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by PyroFN (556 posts) - - Show Bio

In spite of the horrors that came from IvX, I am going in with an open mind and optimistic outlook. After all, Jean is involved. That saids, my thoughts.

X-Men:Gold: Huh, a new Sentinel line. I admit, I chuckled at seeing the generations of Sentinels be made smaller with each new era of Sentinels. Needless to say, shouldn't the X-Men have like protocols for when a new wave of Sentinels come, like press a button and EMP turns of the Sentinel army or that one Sentinel, could be either? I don't know, I think X-Men should probably expect it at this point in time.

Iceman: I don't know if Teen Iceman counts as a Superhero in his own right. He seems more like the Supergirl to Superman. The Red Arrow to Green Arrow. The Ms.Marvel to Captain Marvel. Needless to say, that is an interesting development. Teen Bobby has his own life and is comfortable with it, but the real one is living a nightmare? I blame Lemire.

Jean Grey: I love the art covers. Surprised to see that Namor is the next person she sees. I would have figured that she would maybe find Emma out on the run, Magik, or even Colossus than be out in the middle of the ocean to find Major, the one Phoenix host who knows the least has only experienced it one time. Granted, so did Illyana, but she has history with fighting the dark side of her emotions and other worldly forces, so I figure she'd have to be a better option for guidance.

All in all, good art with covers. I'm staying cautiously excited for Jean, Blue, and Gold.

#3 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn said:

In spite of the horrors that came from IvX, I am going in with an open mind and optimistic outlook. After all, Jean is involved. That saids, my thoughts.

X-Men:Gold: Huh, a new Sentinel line. I admit, I chuckled at seeing the generations of Sentinels be made smaller with each new era of Sentinels. Needless to say, shouldn't the X-Men have like protocols for when a new wave of Sentinels come, like press a button and EMP turns of the Sentinel army or that one Sentinel, could be either? I don't know, I think X-Men should probably expect it at this point in time.

Iceman: I don't know if Teen Iceman counts as a Superhero in his own right. He seems more like the Supergirl to Superman. The Red Arrow to Green Arrow. The Ms.Marvel to Captain Marvel. Needless to say, that is an interesting development. Teen Bobby has his own life and is comfortable with it, but the real one is living a nightmare? I blame Lemire.

Jean Grey: I love the art covers. Surprised to see that Namor is the next person she sees. I would have figured that she would maybe find Emma out on the run, Magik, or even Colossus than be out in the middle of the ocean to find Major, the one Phoenix host who knows the least has only experienced it one time. Granted, so did Illyana, but she has history with fighting the dark side of her emotions and other worldly forces, so I figure she'd have to be a better option for guidance.

All in all, good art with covers. I'm staying cautiously excited for Jean, Blue, and Gold.

I'm Honestly More Excited For The Jean Grey Series As Well As Cable Including X-Men Blue And Pretty Much Weapon X If Greg Land Doesn't Try And Mess Around With The Series.

I'm Honestly Not Excited For Iceman. It Was Honestly Just Really Terrible What They Did To Iceman. And It Was Bendis, Not Lemeire BTW.

#4 Posted by StellatedColt (171 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god. Look at how one of my top 5 mutants have fallen. I can't believe they changed Iceman and feared that they would make a book like this after the "switch". I was hoping they could go the Midnighter route and make Bobby a bad@$$ instead. But no, just from the description alone, I could tell that he is gonna be wimpy. I'm definitely skipping Iceman. As for the others, I might get if the reviews are good.

#5 Posted by Sprior93 (12214 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

@stellatedcolt: Iceman was always wimpy.

He Was Wimpy, Yes. But, He Had His Fair Shares Of Confidence And Charisma. They Just Want To Make Us Believe That A Character Like Iceman Has Always Been Gay........And Yet They're Doing It In A More Asinine Way As Possible Which Actually Just Diminishes The Character Even More. This Was Honestly The Worst Kind Of Decision That Marvel Has Actually Made For The Character. -_-

#7 Posted by Sprior93 (12214 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by RaunJisto (434 posts) - - Show Bio

The description for one of the X-men Gold issues said that the sentinels were mutating. Makes me think they'll be similar to their Days of Future Past movie incarnations.

#10 Posted by Rubear (4042 posts) - - Show Bio

I was hoping they could go the Midnighter route and make Bobby a bad@$$ instead.

I was hoping that they would leave this bullshit with young Iceman (wasn't he supposed to be somehow special to warrant his existance?) or better yet erase it.

#11 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:
@stellatedcolt said:

I was hoping they could go the Midnighter route and make Bobby a bad@$$ instead.

I was hoping that they would leave this bullshit with young Iceman (wasn't he supposed to be somehow special to warrant his existance?) or better yet erase it.

Honestly, It Was Really Bad To Make Iceman Into That Especially Without Any Effort Put Into It. -_-

#12 Posted by StellatedColt (171 posts) - - Show Bio

@rubear said:
@stellatedcolt said:

Yeah I had the same thoughts too, but it was clear that they weren't going to ignore it.

#13 Posted by darthphoenix (1989 posts) - - Show Bio

O jean, i think she'll be meeting the phoenix4 cos Scott's already dead, cuckoos and rachel. She's trying to run from the Phoenix but in her journey she'll discover that she's really meant to be the Phoenix

#14 Posted by Eto (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

When you decide to double ship, at

Least lower the price. 3.99...are you kidding?

#15 Posted by PyroFN (556 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: I know that it was Bendis. I was talking about adult Bobby's life being a disaster in contrast to teen Bobby. That is where I blame Lemire, for not doing anything for Robert.

#16 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrofn said:

@marvelman92: I know that it was Bendis. I was talking about adult Bobby's life being a disaster in contrast to teen Bobby. That is where I blame Lemire, for not doing anything for Robert.

Yeah, There Wasn't Even Any Hints To Both Of Their Lives Actually Being That Way In Both Runs Which Is Very Lazy, Asinine, And Actually Incredibly Insulting. There Were So Many Things You Could've Done With This Character And They Did This To The Guy. I Honestly Do Hope They Actually Try To Revert Bobby Drake's Original Sexual Orientation. I Honestly Do Not Care How Many People This Would Offend Nor Would They Have A Right To Be Offended Like That. What They Did To This Character Was Incredibly Offensive.

#17 Posted by RaunJisto (434 posts) - - Show Bio

So in more of the solicits for X-men Blue, the two covers show someone clearly meant to look like Wolverine, but the face and claws are blurred out. The overtones of it makes me assume it's not Wolverine at all. Dude's hair looked kind of blond to me in one of the covers, leading me to think Jimmy Hudson will be joining the team.

#18 Posted by ursaber (2935 posts) - - Show Bio

Teen Jeen is gonna train to fight the big bad flamebird and not get possessed. Except the Phoenix is gonna come, land next to her and from the flames emerges Original Jean Grey, popping out and saying a simple hello and then laughing at Teen Jeen for believing the Phoenix was gonna possess her. Then Teen Jeen and Original Jean hang out a little, she explains the Phoenix Force to her younger self and then they have to go off to fight the true baddie, the Phoenix antithesis, the Goblin Force.

My speculated summary. Just hope Real Jean returns!

#19 Posted by stormphoenix (6050 posts) - - Show Bio

Im just excited to see Gold and Iceman everything else eh

#20 Posted by HAWK2916 (3713 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really much for me to be excited for with this. I guess the double shipping will make it so we get an X-men fix quite often and the arcs can move along at a decent pace. I wish Bunn was continuing with Uncanny. The O5 should just be alternate universe characters and be turned into the new Exiles. Magic should have gotten her own solo instead of Iceman and Psylocke should have a solo instead of teen Jean

#21 Posted by David_James (175 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not feeling too much hype for these. Astonishing xmen and xmen blue look good but i do not like the creative teams. I dont know why they give Soule a xmen book. Besides IvX being bad, Wolverines was bad and Death of Wolverine was disappointing.

#22 Posted by McKlayn (1905 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by HAWK2916 (3713 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#24 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4684 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll stick with Iceman and Jean Grey. I think I am too old for the "back-to-basics" approach, which has been done umpteen times before, since they always read as the same "new-team-new-lineup-old-but-updated-enemy" approach!

#26 Posted by Jota23 (218 posts) - - Show Bio

Jesus Christ! Did someone passed a law against good x-men comics, that I don't know about? This is pathetic!

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#27 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5905 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: @koays oh no jean grey meets namor in JG solo #3.......plz dont make jean have a crush on namor like hope summers did and i never forget where namor said redheads were ick ick ick

#28 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92: @koays oh no jean grey meets namor in JG solo #3.......plz dont make jean have a crush on namor like hope summers did and i never forget where namor said redheads were ick ick ick

I'm Honestly More Interested In Jean Grey, X-Men Blue, Cable, And I Guess Weapon X. I'll Need To Know If X-Men Gold Is Any Good. But, I'm Really Not Checking Out Iceman. Seriously, What They Did To The Character And How They Did It Was Just Completely BS And Asinine.

#29 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5905 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

I'm Honestly More Interested In Jean Grey, X-Men Blue, Cable, And I Guess Weapon X. I'll Need To Know If X-Men Gold Is Any Good. But, I'm Really Not Checking Out Iceman. Seriously, What They Did To The Character And How They Did It Was Just Completely BS And Asinine.

yeah im just getting the jean grey solo, cause i love jean grey and im a die hard fan........i could read x-men gold or blue or cable on youtube for free lol save me money

just yesterday i saw extra x-men 20 online on youtube it was pretty good but nothing really stuck out.....so im not buying it, i could remember what i saw ......nice at the end where the x-men were playing baseball like the good old days :)

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#30 Edited by scott_summers52 (152 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a little annoyed at how Marvel is advertising this new line with the saying: You asked for it, we gave it to you (or something like that). This isn't exactly what the X-Men fan community asked for. I would like Old Man Logan to leave and for the true Wolverine to return, and finally return the original five to their timeline. The amount of continuity errors being caused by their continued existence in the present makes my head hurt to think of.

#31 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92 said:

yeah im just getting the jean grey solo, cause i love jean grey and im a die hard fan........i could read x-men gold or blue or cable on youtube for free lol save me money

just yesterday i saw extra x-men 20 online on youtube it was pretty good but nothing really stuck out.....so im not buying it, i could remember what i saw ......nice at the end where the x-men were playing baseball like the good old days :)

Yeah, It Was Really Nice To See The X-Men Just Relax And Have Some Good Times Together. Especially Logan Who Just Feels Relaxed And Relieved After Having To Spend 50 Long Years In An Apocalyptic World. Though, I'd Like For Him To Go Back To That Timeline And Finish The Job He Started. But, Yeah, Nice Issue. I'm Honestly More Excited For Jean Grey And Cable As Well. This Should Be Really Great For Them.

#32 Posted by ursaber (2935 posts) - - Show Bio

@marvelman92 said:

Yeah, It Was Really Nice To See The X-Men Just Relax And Have Some Good Times Together. Especially Logan Who Just Feels Relaxed And Relieved After Having To Spend 50 Long Years In An Apocalyptic World. Though, I'd Like For Him To Go Back To That Timeline And Finish The Job He Started. But, Yeah, Nice Issue. I'm Honestly More Excited For Jean Grey And Cable As Well. This Should Be Really Great For Them.

Original Adult Jean Grey. Hope she returns in the Jean Grey solo comic (which is a little insulting that the first ever Jean Grey solo comic will not be helmed by the original classic).

#33 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:
@marvelman92 said:

Original Adult Jean Grey. Hope she returns in the Jean Grey solo comic (which is a little insulting that the first ever Jean Grey solo comic will not be helmed by the original classic).

Hopefully She Will. With Her New Ongoing Series Involving Heavily On The Pheonix And The Fact That It Features 3 Other Pheonix Users And Telepaths, There;s Actually No Way The Original Jean Grey Wouldn't Appear. It's Almost Criminal If She Doesn't.

#34 Posted by ursaber (2935 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully She Will. With Her New Ongoing Series Involving Heavily On The Pheonix And The Fact That It Features 3 Other Pheonix Users And Telepaths, There;s Actually No Way The Original Jean Grey Wouldn't Appear. It's Almost Criminal If She Doesn't.

Do remember that "her" ongoing series is about Teen Jeen, not Real Jean. Apologies for the technical nitpick but I like to be supremely clear on what Jean were talking about.

But yes, I hope wholeheartedly that Original Jean returns after 13 years of inactivity, and in a brand event called ResurrXion no less, the definition of Jean's character trope (returning to life). It has her name written all over. Original Jean is Marvel's poster child for resurrection, the heart and soul of the X-Men and their greatest heroine.

#35 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:

Do remember that "her" ongoing series is about Teen Jeen, not Real Jean. Apologies for the technical nitpick but I like to be supremely clear on what Jean were talking about.

But yes, I hope wholeheartedly that Original Jean returns after 13 years of inactivity, and in a brand event called ResurrXion no less, the definition of Jean's character trope (returning to life). It has her name written all over. Original Jean is Marvel's poster child for resurrection, the heart and soul of the X-Men and their greatest heroine.

Indeed. But Regardless If Teen Jean Is The Star Of The Book, The Original Jean Grey Is The More Important One Especially In A Series Focusing Heavily On The Pheonix, The Other Telepaths, Other Users Of The Pheonix, And A Few People Who Are Related To Jean Which Mostly Involve Her Future Daughters. So, It'd Be Criminal For The Original Jean Grey NOT To Appear In The Series After So Long. Also, If The Original Jean Does Come Back, I Certainly Don't Want Her Dying Again. It's Already Been Tiresome. And She Died Too Long After 13 Years. Her Dying Again Would Be Incredibly Annoying And Honestly Disloyal If She Did Come Back After So Long.

#36 Posted by Eto (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@scott_summers52: Exactly!

Moreover, fans didn't ask for "Teen jean" and a iceman ongoing. Also, when you double ship titles,

2.99 would be way better than 3.99.

Ooh wait this is Marvel....

#37 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@eto said:

@scott_summers52: Exactly!

Moreover, fans didn't ask for "Teen jean" and a iceman ongoing. Also, when you double ship titles,

2.99 would be way better than 3.99.

Ooh wait this is Marvel....

Actually I Believe Fans Did Want An Iceman Ongoing Series. They Just Didn't Want THIS Kind Of Series. There Was Alot Of Potential To Tell Some Stories Involving Iceman And For His Ongoing Series. THIS Wasn't The Kind Of Story Nor Series They Never Even Wanted.

#38 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5905 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:
@marvelman92 said:
@marvelman92 said:

but i thought in the jean grey solo she is trying to figure out all about the phoenix and tries to train and prepare herself if it eventually come for her(wow sounds like hope)

if the real adult jean grey comes back im hoping it will be in ResurreXtion along with prof X, Cyclops and wolverine

#39 Posted by ursaber (2935 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture:

Original Jean is already confirmed to be coming back in the Generations event. Marvel stated that the Jean Grey comic book writer Dennis Hopeless will be the handler.

What we could get is that Teen Jeen prepares for the return of the Phoenix only for Original Jean to emerge andntell her younger self that the Phoenix is not a bad thing.

Hopefully then Original Jean takes charge of the solo comic and Teen Jeen stays in X-Men Blue or goes back to her time.

In any case ORIGINAL JEAN GREY IS COMING BACK!!!!! Oh i so happy

#40 Posted by MarvelMan92 (2599 posts) - - Show Bio

@ursaber said:

@hopesummersforthefuture:

Original Jean is already confirmed to be coming back in the Generations event. Marvel stated that the Jean Grey comic book writer Dennis Hopeless will be the handler.

What we could get is that Teen Jeen prepares for the return of the Phoenix only for Original Jean to emerge andntell her younger self that the Phoenix is not a bad thing.

Hopefully then Original Jean takes charge of the solo comic and Teen Jeen stays in X-Men Blue or goes back to her time.

In any case ORIGINAL JEAN GREY IS COMING BACK!!!!! Oh i so happy

Also, It Was Honestly Pretty Obvious That The Pheonix Force Would Bring The Original Jean Grey Back With Teen Jean Here As Well As The Other Hosts And Telepaths And Two Of Them Related To Jean Who Are Also Her Daughters. I Mean Combined With Their Powers And Heritage, How Else Would The Original Jean Grey Come Back?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.