Looking for info on Psychic/Psionic energy

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, does anyone have any scans where the characters or narrator talks about psychic or psionic energy, or the nature of Telepaths/telekinetics and their powers.

Scans on astral plane/projection and other kinds of stuff like that would also be appreciated.

I'm curious about where marvel stands when it comes to things like the mind, soul, spirit, astral Form, etc if they're all interchangeable or treated solidly as their own separate things.

I want to know if psychic energy and life force/life energy are similar or different things. Or if psychic energy, soul energy or mental energy are all the same thing but just with different names.

Or are they different things but with little bits of similarity...

Because you see Telepaths manipulating the soul or soul energy, or manipulating lifeforce, or doing stuff with mental or psychic energy and the astral Form being refereed to as the soul by some writers and you begin to wonder if all these things are just the same thing.

But if they're the same th8nh,then why do we have some other stuff like the mind gem and soul gem being two different infinity stones yet some of their powers overlap

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: Hey Del! Sorry if I am late, but I will see if some of what I got can help. And hopefully you'd also except outside of X-Men explanations, though I will stick to mostly X-Men scans.

First something about psionic constructs (a lot are courtesy from my Julia Carpenter RT). What I learned are things we knew from Psylocke, but this goes further into confirmation territory about the nature of psionic constructs. This is what I learned:

• Psi-Constructs look like creations of pure light. Not exactly news. What is news is that you can blend it with other light-sources, like when Spider-Woman hid a giant psi-web above the glistening reflection of sunlight from the ocean.
  • Apparently, not all thoughts formed by psis can be counteracted by electricity. Spider-Woman mentions how the Living Lightning didn't manage to burn through all her psi-webs despite being in his electrical form. She mentions a possible explanation being her hitting the right wave length. Not sure what that means, but perhaps you would?
  • Shooting psi-constructs can go at the speed of thought? The feat this idea comes from is when she used it to block a speeding car with her webbing. Her thought was that thought travels faster than a speeding car. If only she knew.
  • Sinister explains psi-ghosts to be made of "telemorphic psi-plasm manifestations". I can't say what that is because the writer completely made it up. Breaking the words down though, it would be as Sinister explained simply. Mental Shapes given form by psionics. So, basically psionic constructs when focused to be solid, but not really physcial.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

After going through a brief Astral Form/ Plane search where it has been prominent, these are some intriguing info that I found.......

• In X-Man #10, we get one of many visuals of the Astral Plane. This seems to be taking place out in space, which seems to remind me of how the Astral Plane similarly looked in Jean Grey #6.
  • We see Nate pull Xavier from the Astral Plane. I always knew that the Plane was a dimension of the mind, but for some reason, I always figured it far away from the real world, like a telepath has to travel there. It hadn't really clicked that the Astral Plane exists more along the lines of a parallel dimension existing alongside the real world like Xavier is depicted following Nate when Nate pulls him from the Astral Plane.
  • Shadow King from the AoA universe described Nate as expending energy across the Astral Plane every time he uses his power. The writer obviously intended to depict this as a power showing. It noteworthy because under normal circumstance, we usually take anything happening on the Astral Plane as something specialized, instead of something done as a side-effect of power.
  • We see the side-effects of Nate expending so much power on the Astral Plane in the Exodus vs Nate fight. What is interesting though is the claim that Xavier can sense a mere flutter across the Plane. It falls in line with Shadow King claiming that Xavier was the guardian on the plane and Gamemaster claiming Jean Grey as the only other psychic powerful enough to sense his plans if he weren't careful. This makes me wonder what other telepaths are so psi-sensitive to know of something happening on the psi-plane when it isn't booming.
  • In the first fight between Xavier and Shadow King, Xavier notes that Shadow King had to have been so powerful to waste psi-energy on theatrics, aka manipulating the psionic plane. This further supports the argument that affecting the Astral Plane is a power feat more than a specialized skill feat. That brings in the question: How powerful are psi-ghosts, since they normally are seen manipulating the Astral Plane regularly?
  • X-Men #77 identifies the Astral Plane as the realm of thoughts from humanity. What is most noteworthy is that the narrator states willpower, thought, and imagination are the most deadly weapons in this place, where a stray thought can kill. So, the times we see the X-Men use their powers on the plane, could it have been their thoughts manifesting their powers?
  • Finally, remember the Annual where Jean, Bishop, and Iceman were in Masterminds mind? Bobby describes it as a sort of Astral Plane. This has actually not been the only time the mind had been called the Astral Plane before, actually. They of course aren't the same, for Shadow King would not have had need to merge the Astral Plane and physical world if he could already access every mind. Still, it makes me wonder where the line is......
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I will see what I can find on life-force energy and psi-energy the next time. I want to here your thoughts on some of these though. Your disagreements and all that cuz I love these discussions.

Calling @koays, @lordofallhumans, @marvelfan1992, @geekryan, @god_spawn to see what they can contribute. Plus, this thread needs more love.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PHOENIX

Psionic Nexus: As the nexus or center of all psionic energy throughout the cosmos, the host attains nigh-infinitely powerful mental abilities, including telepathy, empathy, and telekinesis, and often seeks out hosts who have psionic abilities (i.e. Nate Grey, Jean Grey-Summers, The White Queen, The Cuckoos). When bonded with a host, the Phoenix Force vastly strengthens and amplifies all of their superhuman mutant powers and abilities to immeasurable and innumerable power levels that have been shown to be near unlimited such as the Phoenix's one-true host.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: thanks Koays, looking forward to seeing what you can dig up

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.