Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is the 90's X-Men cartoon overrated?

Suicidio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Suicidio

Poll Is the 90's X-Men cartoon overrated? (69 votes)

Yes it is 12%
    No It's appropriately rated 67%
    No it's underrated 22%
    No Caption Provided

• 
    Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For what it was it is fantastic

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no.

Aside from the last season it was great.

Beata

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got nothing against the 90s Animated series, but I do reckon the 'Wolverine and the X-Men' more recent series is much better overall.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
    ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was great for the time era it was in. I tried re-watching it on Netflix recently and fell asleep half way into the first episode, but when I was a kid I watched it all day.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 PyroFN  Online

It's great for our era as well, save for Jubilees rather weird slang, even for that time era.

Lots of great moments for each character and it's usually what people refer to when they think of Rogue. There are a lot of good story arcs, plenty of great character moments, and a stellar theme song to go with it. The one complaint I would have for this would be Jeans portrayal throughout. (With the exception of The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix Sagas. Still watch those arcs to this day)

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wasn't a huge fan of it, but that's most likely the most important Superhero cartoon ever made. I wouldn't call it overrated as a show.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's not overrated

cajunpirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It didn't age well, and watching it now is a bit of a letdown, but, as someone else wrote, at the time it was amazing. I had never read an X-Men book before this, but this certainly got me interested. Still a huge Gambit fan today.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By infantfinite128

I LOVE it, but the animation and voice acting is mediocre, and there's a lot of cheesiness. I think everyone acknowledges it's faults.

It was a good streamlined version of Chris Claremont's run. I loved the characters, especially Wolverine and Nightcrawler.

I vote no.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#11  Edited By McKlayn

its one of those things, that for what time it was released and compared to shows then it was really cutting edge and great. And it generated so many X men fans from the cartoon alone, so yea no i think its pretty much considered great and should be

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah.

Prezilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

nope.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a little overrated. Personally I like watching X-Men Evolution more. In Evolution Jean was actually competent with her powers. ;p

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Nope

It's a bit as over the top at times, but it is awesome! Plus the theme song is the best!

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
    plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope.

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely not

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

butterflykyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladeusex: wolverine and the xmen sucked and was wolverine wank. no thanks

and I watched it recently as an adult and it was just as good as it was when I was a kid. not only the best xmen cartoon but also one of the best cartoons ever made for kids.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

Nope. It's probably one of the most iconic X-Men shows.

Robert2928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I personally don't believe X-Men TAS holds up as well compared to Spider-Man TAS or Batman TAS I don't believe it was over hyped. The show still had a similar charm to it when I rewatched it after getting the all the DVDs. Not every episode is great (especially the final season) but most are entertaining and introduce you to the characters. That and how fun it is to watch the Sentinels rekt and/or get rekted. Oh and Wolverine punking Cyclops and being "edgy" for a children's cartoon show and such memorable lines like "I go where I want to go." Not to mention all his trash talking before he pops his claws.

I personally think X-Men TAS is a classic that represents the time it was on the air kind of like the way the 60's Spider-Man cartoon represents the time it was on the air. By today's "gritty" standards both shows come off as cheesy but remain entertaining for the most part.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It was a good show, started off a little slow but picked up nicely. Ended a bit crappy but most shows do to be honest.

breakfastclub1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was better than the movies fox created

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i t was great. i can still here the theme song playing in my head

Avatar image for princessofpower
    PrincessOfPower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe the hype. I bought all 5 volumes of X-Men cartoon a few days ago for my collection. Can't wait to see it finally.

Daredevil808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was great

Avatar image for wolverinematban
    WOLVERINEMATBAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WOLVERINEMATBAN

@breakfastclub1: Nah imo that's over exaggerating it a bit much dude, it was better than X-men origins wolverine for sure but that isn't saying much, I mean this show looks like it came out in the early 1960s for crying out loud, the animation is worst then the Super Friends cartoon which came out in the early 70s, the voice acting isn't much better since Wolverine sounds like an old women who smoked 60 cigarettes a day for 40 years, and the continuity isn't great as well given the fact tons of characters appear and disappear for no apparent reason all throughout this series , and my god the way they treated Jean by making her either Ridiculously weak or just completely useless most of the time became almost comical even when she did become the phoenix she was still frequenting all over the place, The dialogue sounds like something a 5 year old would have written with examples like Wolverine saying I hope you're into recycling among many other embarrassing lines like it, and last but not least the plots although based on some of the best X-men comics were executed on this show so beyond terribly it hard to believe they were based on the comics by the same name, now I wouldn't call this the worst adaptation of the X-men I've ever seen since I believe that title belongs to X-men origins wolverine but my god this show was such pure torture to watch I had to take hour long breaks in between each episode so I wouldn't go nuts.

also I apologize if I anger anyone by writing this, pissing people off isn't my intent believe it or not, it's cool if you love this show, I'm just giving my completely honest opinion on it

Darah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not it was great.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The best cartoon series ever!

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It turned a whole generation into X-men fans....for the time it aired it was one of the best shows on TV. Batman TAS imo was the best, but that had the advantage of a single character to focus on. It streamlined a lot of complex arcs for Saturday morning consumption, and even today people still think of Rogue flying around with Carol Danver's powers as the default.

Is it the perfect ideal animated adaption some say it is...no. As others have said, some episodes were inconsistent, and some characters are cringe worthy, even back then (see JEAAAANNN). It has not aged well. I to tried to go back and watch it and could just not force myself through it.

Personally, despite TAS being my introduction to X-men, I actually prefer X-men: Evolution. Instead of re-telling the Clairmont classics, it decided to do its own thing and tell its own story. The characters were different, but still surprisingly the same. Logan was a teacher, but he was still a gruff guy who played by his own rules and looked out for the kids. Scott and Jean were teenagers, but still ended up being the responsible leader and the one people looked up to respectively. I've actually been able to rewatch it all, and to me its held up much better over time.

Wolverine and the X-men....had its moments, and had its potential...but the complete focus on Logan killed it for me

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no, it's underrated. I grew up with these animations + Spidey's. Still never watched anything better and more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.