Is Claremont/Byrne the best part of Claremont's X-Men run?

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolviesnikt

Hi guys,

I am a big fan of the Claremont's X-Men first 16 years run. I think it is the best run of all super hero comics ever.

But despite what everybody say my favorite part of his 16 year run is not the Byrne era.

My favorites always were the Paul Smith's and the John Romita Jr's. I even prefer the Mark silvestre's era over byrne's.

So, what you guys think? Is claremont/Byrne your favorite era of Claremont's work?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. If I had to choose I would say it's a toss up between the Romita/Smith/Green stuff because of how it seamlessly blended with New Mutants and the very late 80s Silverstri/Lee Outback stuff because it utilized a lot of lesser known characters and made them pretty great and had more mature subject matter overall.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In terms of infamy: Yes.

It's got the two most well known story arcs as well as alot of the defining moments for the ANAD X-Men.

In terms of creativity? I'd argue that by the mid 80s if your looking at the umbrella of Claremont's X-Men you can see that while it doesn't really rise to the Dark Phoenix levels you can say that plots and characterization improve dramatically to the point that the world is MUCH more fleshed out.

Idk, i love the Dark Phoenix and the introduction of Kitty, but on an issue by issue basis I like 170s-220s more because its seems like Claremonts layered story telling is at or approaching its best. Even if I'm not as big a fan of Silvestri's art style

PurplePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Possibly, though I love Paul Smith’s brief tenure as well.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claremont and Cockrum’s run was also extremely impressive.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Claremont/Byrne run had some of the best plots. But Claremont's best character writing comes in the mid to late 80s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.