Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Is anyone actually happy with how their favorite character/s are being written in 2018?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Poll Is anyone actually happy with how their favorite character/s are being written in 2018? (25 votes)

Actually.. Yes. My bases are covered 28%
    It's okay. About 50/50. We've all read worse than this. 32%
    This blue/gold run is barely better than Inhumans Vs X-men 8%
    I'm done. Blue & Gold are unreadable at this point. 8%
    One book, maybe even two I like. But the rest are garbage. 24%

How is your favorite character during this era of X-men?

Are we all surviving?

-Personally Storm is my favorite character, but X-men Gold and Blue are really bad.
    -Storm and Rachel both are written at the mercy of Kitty taking up all the focus.
    -Storm and Rachel's costumes are also hideous.

+Fortunately, X-men Red, Rogue & Gambit, and GenX (canceled) made up for it.
    +Jean is done Justice
    +Gambit and Rogue are done right
    +Jubilee had a fun team and got her powers back.

Favorite Book: X-men: Red
    Least Favorite Book: X-men: Gold & Blue

• 
    Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Well,my fav is dead now.So,screw them all.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnihal said:

Same.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@tohoma said:
    @mrnihal said:

Same.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4 god_spawn  Moderator

My top 3.

Cyclops is dead and still replaced by a crappy teenage version.

Wolverine is alive and not doing a lot but stabbing Loki’s eye out was fun.

Emma is batshit crazy.

Terrible.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gold is just painful to read. I genuinely like all the characters in it, but Gug just don't have the ability to write those characters well.

The Blue crew need to be eaten by Selene, slowly.

Then have Bunn take over writing Gold.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Happy to see Storm with the stormcaster in Xmen Gold.

Also happy to see Storm written as a real goddess in Black Panther comics.

A huge bonus to see an alternate Storm, Bloodstorm still in Xmen Blue.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My top 3.

Cyclops is dead and still replaced by a crappy teenage version.

Wolverine is alive and not doing a lot but stabbing Loki’s eye out was fun.

Emma is batshit crazy.

Terrible.

someone needs a hug ^^

No Caption Provided

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Yassassin

Vinditti been doing good by Guy; honestly it's his best human Lantern. Reed isn't around, but I fear for what Slott might do to him.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean, Rogue, Gambit, Iceman, betsy, Storm (in black panther), Xavier, Polaris and Cable are all doing good.

Iceman, beast, Warren and Scott are the only ones I'm missing out on.

So I guess I'm good

Lord_of_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinditti been doing good by Guy; honestly it's his best human Lantern. Reed isn't around, but I fear for what Slott might do to him.

A minor nitpick, his name is actually Venditti. :)

But i agree that his Guy is the best, but Hal and John are not that far behind IMO.

As for FF, i like Sue the best there, but given Slott's current status, your concerns are factual, it is basically wait and see before buying mindset.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

+Jean Grey is alive and leading her own team.

-Emma is in a dark place on her way to being redeemed.

+Rogue is back with the X-Men.

+The Cuckoos have gotten some panel time in recent books.

-Rachel is being written incompetently and is supposed to be on the same path as her mother and enjoying full extent of her power. Instead, she gets nap time from Mesmero.

-/+ Hope Summers is still around. Though I wish she was used more.

+Polaris is now front and center currently in Blue.

+Psylocke is a major telepath in Astonishing confirmed.

Grimaldus3924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Cyclops is dead. Marvel fucked him so hard he is going to stay dead for a while. Tyke is cool (the adult is still better) and I'm enjoying his interaction with Teen Jean.

-/+Jean is fine in Red but the book is starting to feel boring.

- Teen Jean is fine too, hope they keep AU wolverine wannabe no.32654 away from her.

+Old Woman Laura has been cool and I like her being X-23 again.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

My favorite characters? Man thats hard

Cannonball is an avenger BLAH!

Chamber is macking on Jubilee thats odd but hey they got written about, oh and Paige and Monet love the whole Gen X crew so good to see that

Nightcrawler and Rachel together makes me happy, Rachel becoming a Hound actually doesnt bother me as bad as it seems to bother most

Emma is going through some mental distress, i dont hate it as much as some

Archangel and Bishop are actually in books so that is a step up

Warpath, Rogue and Gambit also in books and being treated pretty well so yay

Then you have Cyclops :'( RIP big man, your teen version doesnt do you justice

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

Cannonball is an avenger BLAH!

Why is that bad thing?? It's good for characters to progress. Granted, Cannonball should have progressed to the the front lines of the X-Men team considering his history but creative seems to be intent on withholding the status quo from the early 1980s X-Men team so......whatever.

My only issue is that Hickman wrote Cannonball and Sunspot like college fraternity dude bros, which is almost the exact opposite of how Cannonball has been presented for like 30 years.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah, Cyclops is dead and the teenage version isn't really that good character wise.

Nice to see my other favorite, Kitty, getting married though. My baby girl's all grown up from the terrified teenager that she was during the DP Saga.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm let's see.

Cykes dead.

Jean is back and on a mission but without much personality.

Oh and Rachel is....unconscious because Mesmero knocked her out for the 4th time this year....but yay can't wait for her to be a villain.

Still better Aaron and Bendis' 3 years of baiting and let down, or Lemires...Lemireness.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Astonishing and Red have my attention. Blue just flat out bleeeeeew last issue. I hung around for Gold 1-12, but it's just not doing it for me...I'm not particularly jazzed for the wedding either. Just seems flippant imo.

I love the lineup in Astonishing. Ding dong, Fantomex is gone (kinda)! Psylocke was elected leader of the team over X! Archangel is suddenly in total control of his Death persona. Proteus is supa green. I could do without Mystique and OML, but whatevs.

Red's story is flowing organically for me. I like the political angle and Jean's forethought to get backing from powerful allies. The panel with Trinary commanding a Sentinel to sit was sweet, she's seems like an interesting character I hope actually gets developed. I also wanna see Gentle's supposed Hulk-like strength in action. And, y'know, I was pretty irate about so many Wolverines, but Laura and Gabriel have a dynamic I'm on board for. Can we just call Gabby "Badger" ?...Honey Badger is silly.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cant tell with jean in red yet cause it didnt even get past first arc yet.........so so far im still hopeful

x-men blue is still good after the horrible crossover with venom and space blah

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems I've missed the bandwagon, but here are my thoughts.

Havok, Emma Frost and Selene have had at least some time in the limelight. Havok is pretty badass on the ideological front, though Im still waiting for a vaunted solo feat comicvine people tend to like. I'm passably pleased of where he's at now.

Emma has been on a rollercoaster of villainy and hairstyles, but at least the thread from Secret Empire is finally paying off. If one of her zanny plans actually work and we actually see the good and bad consequences of its release, cool. I guess my preferred writing for her is to be a morally dubious co-leader or leader of an Xmen team, but one thing at a time.

Selene showed up in Cable. At least it happened.

I don't think I have any favourites beyond that. Well, besides the whole 1 minute resurrection of Cyclops, my favorite characters have gotten some screentime with half decent writing, so to speak.

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no definitely not the last issue of gold where storm is going off is the only thing good to happen to her in that series besides the annual where that little girl is a huge xmen fan that was so cute. Everyone seems to be taking a backseat to kitty pryde which is making me hate kitty. Cable is getting really good astonishing is awesome love psylocke in that thank god they killed phatomex when is guggenheim getting fired or when are they changing writers. Blue is almost good

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

no definitely not the last issue of gold where storm is going off is the only thing good to happen to her in that series besides the annual where that little girl is a huge xmen fan that was so cute. Everyone seems to be taking a backseat to kitty pryde which is making me hate kitty. Cable is getting really good astonishing is awesome love psylocke in that thank god they killed phatomex when is guggenheim getting fired or when are they changing writers. Blue is almost good

These two points... LOL
    I feel the same way.
    Almost doesn't count. hahaa

weatherwitch21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poisonfleur: I mean blue has good moments its just like the last couple have been good hopefully they get better.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes!

Jota23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Wolverine fan so my answer is: AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH AH... No!

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PyroFN

@koays: Let’s update your list.

-Scott’s still dead.

-Rachel’s villain event was anticlimactic. (Who saw that revelation coming? Everyone.)

-Jean has a lot of screen time. Don’t know what you were talking about with a lack of personality. So, I can’t say anything about this one without inserting my own thoughts.

So, are you gonna add Guggenheim alongside Aaron, Bendis, and Lemire?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Eh, it was probably because Jean hadn't really emoted much in the first 2 issues of Red to make you feel that this is the same character or even a version of the character effected by her death or the changes she sees in the world. Like you could make an extremely good case for replacing her in every scene she was in with Psylocke or Kitty and it wouldnt be out of place because of how little we were given. Idk about now though, I'm not really following Red at the moment..but those early issues weren't even as strong as her appearances in the JEEN solo.

Poor Rachel....just poor, poor Rachel.

Guggenheim isnt Lemire level boring. He isnt Bendis level bad. He dam sure isnt Aaron level kick the franchise on its knees. Guggenheim has good ideas, that progress the story fairly but have terrible climaxes that you don't care about which makes it worst.when he revisits them. Perfect example? The evil senator lady is going toe to toe with Kitty for 3 arcs and finally gets the X-Men arrested. Only it's hard to care because the last 2 times we saw the evil.senator lady her plan was thwarted quite easily as it was once again by the end of the second issue.

It's a great concept. X-Men tricked by a politically savvy enemy into breaking the law and now all the things that make them great heroes are making it harder for them to get out or survive inside. Meanwhile the rest of the team has to call in players off the bench continue to fight the battles that the main team was facing only these replacement characters are dealing with issues that are seemingly the same reason they weren't on the main to begin with despite being qualified. Its brilliant....just being written by someone who is not.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not even sure I have a favorite character anymore. ?

Avatar image for deactivated-60e87a786cc9c
    deactivated-60e87a786cc9c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Jean just had a lot of screentime,yes!That's just it.That covers it completely.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall Id say yes

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Rachel Grey fans, I don't think they are happy. :(

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for Rachel Grey fans, I don't think they are happy. :(

Its a hard time for Rachel fans right now. The pain!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
    deactivated-5bc8daab15c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine is taking a damn long time.

Old Man Logan is dying.

So things are bad.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only one of my favorite characters to be written WELL at the moment is Jean Grey, and I can only even say that in comparison to recent stuff, as she is still way less cool than the Jean from 20 years ago. (And my God has it been that long?)

But aside from her? No, I am still pretty dissatisfied. I don't think I've been truly happy with any of these characters since AvX. Wolverine and Beast became judgmental jerks, Storm and Bobby became unbearably self-righteous, and the fact that they are STILL going on about "evil Cyclops" is just becoming tedious.

My only hope is that Jean gives them all a psychic bitch-slap and tell them to grow up. But I don't see that happening.

LordMordor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are they still on about the Cyclops hate?? I haven't seen any since IvX and PR.

Scott is dead...so while he may not be being written well, at least its not bad. Neutral I guess

Emma is coming down from a nervous breakdown, but overall seems to be trying to do good in her own way. Positive

Colossus just got emotionally crushed; and Kitty, while not meaning to, is rubbing salt in it. As far as I can tell Piotr is just perpetually drunk right now. He isn't doing well, but its an understandable reaction to what his going on in his life. Still going to call it decent writing. Positive, but bordering on neutral

Cuckoos...have reverted back to identical hive minds instead of their growing individuality. I'm fine with them keeping their triplet look, but I miss their independence from each other. Negative

Magneto is finally going back to his roots. He never believed in the Xavier dream, only following it because of a combination of believing in Scott and out of respect for his departed friend. Positive

Jean. Is alive, that alone is enough to be positive. But the fact that she is doing a good job as a leader on her own is great. Positive.

Daken. Supposedly dead again...its about the third time now I think. He's been a punching bag lately, a far contrast to his usual ruthless self. Negative

Magik. Has been losing a lot of her edge for me lately, and still often is dealing with being used as "the Magik school bus". Negative

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.