Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How X-Men: First Class Breaks Marvel Continuity

• 101 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    The trailer is here, it's been broken down, but after a second or third viewing, I felt like this trailer was oh so familiar to me. The trailer seems solid, but after going through my catalog of comic book-related movie trailers, I noticed something: This trailer is a lot like the trailer for X-Men: Origins Wolverine, and aside from that, there seem to be a few continuity errors for the X-Men films that take place in the same universe, and you can tell from just the trailers. 

I'll admit, I still love the heck out of the first 10 minutes of the Wolverine Origins films, where it's Logan (Jimmy!) and Sabretooth joined at the hip over decades fighting battle after battle, but after that, it falls a bit flat, especially after a naked Wolverine runs and hides in a farmhouse. Tough guys can't be tough guys if they're naked and running. Hopefully, since this trailer does look pretty cool, the film won't suck. Both Wolverine Origins and X-Men First Class look pretty cool from the trailers, but hey, so did the trailer for Jim Carrey's The Number 23. (Spoiler alert: It wasn't good) Regardless whether or not you love, like, or hate the trailer, Let's take a look at these two trailers side-by-side and point out some ridiculousness.
     I see a giant
     I see a giant "X" like that, I either think I'm gonna find some treasure, or hang out with Xzibit.
    == TEASER ==
     He was Charles and he was a sweaty child.
     He was Charles and he was a sweaty child.
    The opening scenes, for both trailers, introduce the viewer to the characters we know and love, and then they let us know what they look like for the film. This covers Professor X, Magneto, and Wolverine. Now you know what they all looked when they were younger. 

Now as these characters are being introduced, we get some soft music that you know at any point in time will pop off into epicness. Now, both pieces of music are different, but they have the same structure and feel to them. 

So after you're introduced to these characters, where do you go next? The moment that changes everything... 
     Eerrrr-ahh, will someone get me Marilyn Monroe's numba?
     Eerrrr-ahh, will someone get me Marilyn Monroe's numba?
    Ex-President, John F Kennedy gives his speech about the Cold War and Wolvie looses a loved one. These two events inspire the heroes to move forward and get straight to the action. Both of these events don't happen at the same time in the trailer, the Wolvie bit happens a little earlier, but at the halfway mark of these trailers, the music picks up. Cue anticipation. Now, you're forced into the gauntlet of characters in the film, most of them will most likely die before the halfway point. 

Charles and Erik enjoy one of those
     Charles and Erik enjoy one of those "classy" mutant brothels. You can tell it's classy by the amount of red velvet in the room.
    On a side note, anyone else creeped out by this? It's the only moment in the trailer where I'm saying to myself, "should I be watching this?" The daughter (Zoe Kravitz) of famed rocker Lenny Kravitz and actress Lisa Bonet, who was most famous for her work on the Cosby Show, standing in front of two high-powered mutants topless? What will Bill Cosby think about this?

Younger viners, avert your eyes! This is no place for you to be looking! Someone grab Beak now! 

At this point, the music is escalating in both trailers and so is the action. We're getting a lot of mutant powers and randomness. Prepare for... MUTANT MANIA!
     It's like Laugh In.... with mutants... a lot of mutants.
     It's like Laugh In.... with mutants... a lot of mutants.
    The same onslaught happens with the Wolverine trailer: Powers, epicness, and the title card for the film. By this time you're excited and ready for the film right? RIGHT? Well, what about a couple continuity errors?

KEVIN BACON?! Is that Jesse Katsopolis next to him? I hope he plays a Beach Boys tune!
     KEVIN BACON?! Is that Jesse Katsopolis next to him? I hope he plays a Beach Boys tune!
    Fanboys certainly love Emma Frost. How could they not? She's buxom, blonde, wears little-to-no clothing, and has a British accent that will make you feel like Oliver Twist politely asking for more. So, here is that character in both films. X-Men First Class takes place during the 60s, and Wolverine: Origins takes place during the... um... 80s or 90s? It's past the 60s by at least a decade, I can assure you that. However, here's Emma Frost going to "diamond mode" in both films. She looks younger in the Wolverine Origins film, even though it's set roughly 20 years in the future. What's going on here?  

What about this whole Beast situation? Beast appeared in X-Men 3: The Last Stand... Who knew that film title would be so literal for that franchise. However, Dr. Hank McCoy appeared in X2. You know, that really cool X-Men movie with Nightcrawler, played by Alan Cummings, jumping around and being so super awesome. 

I'm not hairy and blue, I'm not Kelsey Grammer, but I will make these 5 seconds of screen time work the best I can. Who wants me to use big words?
     I'm not hairy and blue, I'm not Kelsey Grammer, but I will make these 5 seconds of screen time work the best I can. Who wants me to use big words?
    It only lasted a few seconds, but Dr Hank McCoy made a bit of a camero in the second film. He wasn't blue and furry. He was a regular looking doctor who works out  9/10ths of the day. How does the First Class hairy old Beast fit in if in the second X-Men film he's all skin and bones? 

So there's a lot going on in this X-Men: First Class trailer, and a lot of it feels like we're watching the Wolverine Origins trailer. I'm sure since both films were made at 20th Century Fox, they probably have the same formatting to edit trailers, but what about these continuity errors? Some may find them minor, but if this X-Men First Class film is showing clips from the older X-Men films in their trailer, shouldn't they be on top of this? 

You may or may not agree with this, and that's fine. But I guarantee there is one thing we CAN ALL agree on...   
    No Caption Provided

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, writer, comic store employee, and hates Sundays more than Mondays.

Follow his ridiculousness on twitter: @ inferiorego
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

If they wanted to do the X-Men in the 60's they could have disregarded the previous films and make it a reboot so that way we could have the classic X-Men line up, instead the crappy line-up they chose for this one, still I might see it if it turns out to be somewhat decent.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jordanstine

I just wanna say... that blonde guy in the red backdrop looks like Zack Morris.

'When I wake up in the morning... and the alarm gives out a warning, I don't think I'll ever make it on time... by the time I grab my books, and I give myself a look... I'm at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by!!!'    

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By sora_thekey

Why hasn't anyone commented on the fact that Mystique and Beast have a thing going in the trailer?  

No Caption Provided
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By danhimself

I just don't understand why they can't make an X-men movie with just the 5 original X-men being rounded up by Xavier and fighting Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants....why can't we get that?

KingLoki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By KingLoki

Marvel Studios needs to get the rights back and reboot it completely.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#6  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @KingLoki: 

Couldn't agree more, they're the only ones that know how to handle their characters correctly.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EnSabahNurX
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " If they wanted to do the X-Men in the 60's they could have disregarded the previous films and make it a reboot so that way we could have the classic X-Men line up, instead the crappy line-up they chose for this one, still I might see it if it turns out to be somewhat decent. "
    Yes agreed, I'm all for a 60's x-men reboot and I could even ignore the fact they have a different first class just because it would be interesting(but originals are the best), but it could have been the prequel x-men before the split of Prof X and magneto which lead to the actually x-men. I thought this was going to be more of a reboot but nope its just adding to the continuity FAILS of the trilogy and origin movies 

BUT, this movie I think will be better than Wolverine's movie(which was only great in the intro), but not as good as x2 so I'm thinking it will be "decent" and will lead to a reboot now that they have the rights too tons of mutants now
    doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By doddy

The  trailer is good, but I still hate Fox.  It's time to give the rights back to Marvel, Fox!!!
    BTW,  whether it looks good or bad, I'm going to see this movie.  You know why? Emma Frost.

Avatar image for emerald_dragonfly_deleteme
    Emerald Dragonfly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Emerald Dragonfly

That was obvious from the very beginning of this mess. 
    Mystique hangs out with whomever she wants, Beast mistake, Emma Frost mistake, Havoc mistake... AND THAT FREAKY PART WITH CHARLES, ERIC AND ANGELA-- the hell?! Matthew Vaughn is an idiot already because he just couldn't find a plot WITHOUT those characters or WITHOUT mistakes in their history (and also because he filmed that goddamn mess of millar)

Bobcat14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bobcat14

Wow i never noticed all of that. The director should have done his homework!! Yeah and i'm also pretty sick and tired of FOX.
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#11  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

I have a theory about the whole Mystique/ Beast/ Azazel situation, at first I thought they were throwing Beast into the mix in an attempt to make it harder to figure out who Nightcrawlers father is but then I thought no cause it would be too obvious still since Azazel is a teleporter and then it dawned on me... what if Beast really is Nichtcrawlers father and Azazel is Mystiques father, big change from the comics but that isn't new. So teleportation could be an inherited trait for the men in Azazel's bloodline and that is how Nightcrawler got it and then he inherited the blue coloring, fur and demonic features from Mystique, Beast and Azazel.

If you think about it role-wise teleportation would be a good trait for male demons and shapeshifting would be a good trait for female demons so that would go along with the inherited traits from the Azazel bloodline.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By Caligula
    @inferiorego: 

I'm giving you the "stink eye".
    the Number 23 was one of my favorite films :( (I R Dissapoint)

still great article though. Despite still having a strange optimism after seeing the trailer. (probably going to be severely disappointed but, oh well)
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By TheMess1428
    I claim that it's going to have something to do with time travel like in Star Trek.

@sora_thekey said:
    " Why hasn't anyone commented on the fact that Mystique and Beast have a thing going in the trailer?  

No Caption Provided
    "
    That's what I've been saying!
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By sora_thekey
    @TheMess1428: No one mentioned it when I mentioned it HERE
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I just don't understand why they didn't do a true First Class movie with Angel, Beast, Cyclops, Iceman and Jean 
    hey are characters that have already shown to be box office material 
    and it would stay a little more on par with the characters we know 
    and if they wanted to do a 60's prequel, why not use mutants that would have actually been alive 
    Havok? 
    were they really just dying to use him? 
    is his part in the movie THAT integral that he couldn't have been replaced with someone else? 
    but more than any of that, I really wish they had taken a bigger hint from Star Trek and made this a real time travel reboot 
    have Bishop or Cable come with an X-man or two from the future to change the past and make it a true reboot 
    oh well 
    I'm still going to try to give this movie the benefit of the doubt 
    but I"m a litte worried.....
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cherry Bomb
    @sora_thekey said:
    " Why hasn't anyone commented on the fact that Mystique and Beast have a thing going in the trailer?  

No Caption Provided
    "
    What a hot couple XD 
    I'm kinda thinking it's gonna be the start of Mystiques double crossing via seduction. I hope.
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#17  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @danhimself said:
    " I just don't understand why they can't make an X-men movie with just the 5 original X-men being rounded up by Xavier and fighting Magneto and his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants....why can't we get that? "
    Exactly! Why is it so hard to just do it like the comic books?
    sladewilson30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By sladewilson30

like i said before, i can't believe they screwed up the continuity
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cattlebattle

this article is a lame attempt to be funny
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By ninjadude853

This movie will suck. Mark my words.

zao_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zao_89

WHO CARES IF IT'S OUT OF CONTINUITY? If it was a comic series set in another universe, would you still be complaining? Of course not, so why should you complain about the movies?

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @zao_89:
    I can't speak for everyone, but it's sort of a slap in the face for all the fans who've been waiting (in my case nearly 30 years) for someone to do a movie about the X-Men 
    only to have them treat it like the original source material isn't good enough to support the film 
    the idea of an "X-Men First Class" movie has a very specific connotation
    and calling it that without giving the ACTUAL first class of X-Men the credit they deserve is a little screwed up 
    also, it seems like they're just adding in random mutants when there are so many pivotal mutants in the marvel u that deserve a spot in a film  
    way before Darwin any how 
    ....no offense to Darwin... 
    Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Dark Cell

The continuity - ITS BROKEN!!! *sniffle*
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SirSparkington

Continuity need not apply. I hope this movie is at least entertaining. I'll do my best not to have nerd rage when I watch it.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By goldenkey
    @danhimself:
    why makes things easy?
    growup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By growup
    @zao_89 said:
    "WHO CARES IF IT'S OUT OF CONTINUITY? If it was a comic series set in another universe, would you still be complaining? Of course not, so why should you complain about the movies?"

totally agree with this
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Another thing they messed up, they have "kitty face" Beast before regular blue Beast

perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By perry_411
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir:  is beast still kitty face?
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 581

#29  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
    @zao_89 said:
    " WHO CARES IF IT'S OUT OF CONTINUITY? If it was a comic series set in another universe, would you still be complaining? Of course not, so why should you complain about the movies? "
    Since regular movie going people are the core audience and not comic book people don't you think having a non-continuity/reboot movie is going to confuse the hell out of those regular people? Non-continuity isn't a normal concept for the average person and while reboots are nothing new they are usually spaced out over a longer period of time unlike comic movie reboots of a few years.

Rebooting these comic movies is just going to confuse people and potentially lose the studios a lot of money when people don't go to these movies because they remember how bad the last movie was. That was definitely the case with Hulk/The Incredible Hulk, the reboot could have done a lot better if the first didn't exist or they had spaced them out more. Average person isn't going to know that the new Spider-Man is a reboot they just know it doesn't have Toby Maguire in it any more, same goes for First Class, these are people that saw the first three movies and Wolverine and they are going to go into First Class confused about Beast and probably wondering why Nightcrawler is red and they will probably complain about it to friends until some comic nerd  explains everything to them.
    Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By Baron_Emo

This had so much potential. Ah, well, I'll go see it anyway.

Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perry_411 said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir:  is beast still kitty face? "
    In comics? I believe so, most artists draw him that way, except for Kaare Andrews 

looks more like 90's Beast
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By perry_411
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: thanks for the update. i don't guess it matters what he looks like.
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By jordama

Singer did say that they were going to ignore wolverine origins. How about Emma's in first class and that is a cuckoo in the wolverine movie, she was never actually called Emma I believe
    girth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By girth
    @KingLoki said:
    " Marvel Studios needs to get the rights back and reboot it completely. "

Sydpart2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sydpart2
    @zao_89: He's saying that it's out of the continuity that the movies themselves have set up. Whether or not this movie will be a reboot has yet to be established, but as it stands it is a prequel to all the other X-men movies which means it should still follow it's own continuity. I mean they made a prequel of the Hannibal series and you didn't see stuff in that movie that didn't line up with the others. Why shouldn't fans be upset if the writers and producers are to lazy to have some consistency?
    <the skull>

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By <the skull>

to further point out the crappy continuity fails in wolverine saber tooth obviously knew wolvie, yet in x-men 1 he looks at him with a blank stair you think he would remember him right?

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By leokearon

All I Know about this movie is MUTANT AWAY!
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By Mercy_
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @perry_411 said:
    In comics? I believe so, most artists draw him that way, except for Kaare Andrews 

"
    Kaare's renditions can't really be trusted to be reliable and completely accurate, though. Only thing he really gets right is Wolvie's short stature. 
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @perry_411 said:

"
    Kaare's renditions can't really be trusted to be reliable and completely accurate, though. Only thing he really gets right is Wolvie's short stature.  "
    I know, thank god for that. 
    I can't even bear to look at Emma in that picture
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mercy_
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir: Make your pain known. "
    I think i did, or I made a joke about it. Angelfrost said it best Kaare's rendition made her look trashy , really a parody of what she actually looks like
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mercy_
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    I think i did, or I made a joke about it. Angelfrost said it best Kaare's rendition made her look trashy , really a parody of what she actually looks like "
    She looks like a caricature. They all do, really. 
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:
    " @Emperor Gonzo Noir said:
    " @The Dark Huntress said:
    I think i did, or I made a joke about it. Angelfrost said it best Kaare's rendition made her look trashy , really a parody of what she actually looks like "
    She looks like a caricature. They all do, really.  "
    At least the others are horrifying to look at
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Mercy_
    @Emperor Gonzo Noir: True enough. 
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#45  Edited By queenfrost_

>.<

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By Magian

If it is a reboot I wouldn't mind about the changes but given the fact that they used images from the original movies in the trailer, I am curious to see what happens continuity wise. And I still don't agree with some of the choices.

holyhawk7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By holyhawk7666

X-men Origins: Wolverine takes place in 1979.  How do I know?  Three Mile Island, that's how.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#48  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @holyhawk7666 said:
    " X-men Origins: Wolverine takes place in 1979.  How do I know?  Three Mile Island, that's how. "
    Thank you! I forgot about that!
    GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GREGalicious

Although i wouldve rather they used more of the originals (or at least more characters i liked), i'll give it a chance

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

I think it as a few weeks ago you guys asked the question of wether this is a time travelling movie or not maybe the Emma fFrost and Beast thing have something to do with that like she came back in time to tell them to start the school?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.