Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13416 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

How would you improve the concept of a Mutant Society?

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is a question no has yet to ask. With many dissenting opinions of liking and disliking Hickman’s run for different reason, I ask the X-Fans regarding the concept of Krakoa as a society:

•What would you keep the same?

•What would you fundamentally change?

•Is the concept of a mutant society even a good idea?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: *walks in* "THEY SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON EARTH!!!!" *walks out*

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

They are still on earth? <.< I mean scott isnt but yea..

The main gripe i have with mutant society is the resurrections, and the lack of some of the more basic things such as schools. The only business they have is a bar? It looks more like a party than a society lol.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get rid of all that dumb resurrection crap. You aren't even bringing them back to life. They're just clones with the most recent saved memories. They're just letting their friends die and acting like these duplicates are the original

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

The main gripe i have with mutant society is the resurrections, and the lack of some of the more basic things such as schools. The only business they have is a bar? It looks more like a party than a society lol.

Yes, they are. Do not take Hope’s out-of-context outburst in absolution. She means the Summer’s House and it’s just them complaining as per usual.

Krakoa is based on Earth still in the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean’s specifically. They have bases on the moon and on Mars respectively, but the main islands are on Earth.

So, you want more businesses and school’s? Seems reasonable. Krakoa seems to have something of an education system by virtue of the New Mutants, but it’s less of an actual school, I can understand the need of an actual place to let the children focus.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
    @mcklayn said:

Yes, they are. Do not take Hope’s out-of-context outburst in absolution. She means the Summer’s House and it’s just them complaining as per usual.

Krakoa is based on Earth still in the Pacific and Atlantic Ocean’s specifically. They have bases on the moon and on Mars respectively, but the main islands are on Earth.

So, you want more businesses and school’s? Seems reasonable. Krakoa seems to have something of an education system by virtue of the New Mutants, but it’s less of an actual school, I can understand the need of an actual place to let the children focus.

ok-ay, now im confused, LOL

also i think they gave up their US citizenship, thats why they have diplomatic immunity o.o (me sounding more confused then ever)

Also i miss buying comics at comicbook store. When i can buy it, i would buy alot lol (a lot of back issues i mean from 2020 and the new ones like the hellfire gala)

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
    @mcklayn said:

Yea the problem is the new mutants seem to be the only ones who think "hey maybe we should teach the kid some stuff" also maybe they just telepathically download all the knowledge to their minds like they do with the language idk just seems odd.

But yea i like the whole fashion, and camp fire ghost stories, the entire way of X book and how its focusing on it. I also get that the "island provides" but it would seem like people would want more. Idk it just doesnt seem real enough atm, seems like they are all taking a vacation. LIke you see X force as a thing, and even X factor, but then other than the xmen the rest of the book is just some big beach party 24/7? Idk seems like that would even get old after a while. Maybe uh research labs and such, great minds like Nemesis seems to be working alone? when he has so many others he could pool knowledge with? Its odd because they have done a great job detailing certain portions of society but the main every day portion is "not human" but not really defined either

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What’s your take on mutant society and how it would look, @cattlebattle and @god_spawn?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I didn't like it when they did Utopia, and I don't really care for it now. At least when Magneto had Genosha there was some intrigue to it because of the political allegories and it wasn't a main focus.

1. I know it's sort of a low IQ take, but the X-men was most popular in the late 80s/early 90s when the focus was on action and character drama. Nobody really gives a shit about the country's inner workings and infrastructure and Great Captains and the Quiet councils or whatever autistic shit Hickman made up.

And honestly, subsequently Hickman's going to leave and some other writer is eventually going to just blow all this shit up and put them back in the mansion and restore the status quo. So all this stuff seems pointless at the end of the day because that's unfortunately the nature of the mainstream comic companies.

2. I feel like all this stuff is better suited for the Inhumans anyways. Not only did the Inhumans always live segregated form humanity but they've always had their own society as well. And it's never been really elaborated upon other than the Royal Family and the Alpha Primitives as slave labor how their society works and how in integrates with the rest of the world.

I feel like when Marvel was trying to sell the Inhumans and Nuhumans as the "New X-men" they should have got Hickman to do what he is doing now. I think a trading company with terrigen crystals instead of the Krakoan flora being used would have probably worked better. Not to mention they could have different councils plotting against the Inhuman royal family as the Inhuman society could plan to overthrow a monarchy in favor of democracy. You could tell some interesting stories there.

It almost writes itself. The X-men Krakoa stuff just feels like some kid just took random Marvel action figures and had to improvise "Gorgon is now Cyclops's bodyguard!!"

3. It never makes sense for mutants to want to segregate from society and act antagonistic to them. Mutants aren't really emblematic of another race, they all have family members, whom some of them they love, who are humans. A good majority of them have had romantic relationships or have really good friends who are human. And while the X-men has always been mutant centric, there has been many members over the years who weren't mutants. I find that this fact is never really brought up.

Initially, people had sort of thought that Xavier was controlling everyone, which made sense, and perhaps was the original intention, but now that is seems like that is less likely, and doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

4. There is triple the number of superhumans in Marvel then there was when the X-men began. It would hypothetically be way easier for mutants to integrate than it was years ago. So having them do this now is sort of absurd. Like the idea is that mutants are like "Ha, there is more people indistinguishable from us than there has ever been!! Let's go live on a weird island with some of our deadliest villains!!"

5. The usual defense people have of all this crap is that "humans have been trying to kill mutants" to justify all this, but the fact is the majority of the time the number one threat to mutants has been......other mutants. Shaw was behind both Projects: Armageddon and Wideawake, Mr Sinister was behind the Legacy Virus and the mutant massacre, Cassandra Nova was responsible for the greatest eradication of mutants, Apocalypse and Magneto have threatened all humanity (Mutants included) several times. In Rachel's reality the Shadow King, who lead the Inner Circle, was responsible for much of what happened there, presumably including building Nimrod--which eventually lead to the X-Men using Siege Perilous on him to create Bastion, who was behind the murder of a lot of mutants. So...more mutant on mutant tragedy there.

There are examples of hate groups annoying the X-men here and there but there has also been examples of mutant supremacist groups bothering the Avengers time and time again. Perhaps humans should move to their own island because the Brotherhood attacked them several times.

I don't know, I don't care for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
    deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle:

I feel like all this stuff is better suited for the Inhumans anyways. Not only did the Inhumans always live segregated form humanity but they've always had their own society as well. And it's never been really elaborated upon other than the Royal Family and the Alpha Primitives as slave labor how their society works and how in integrates with the rest of the world.

I feel like when Marvel was trying to sell the Inhumans and Nuhumans as the "New X-men" they should have got Hickman to do what he is doing now. I think a trading company with terrigen crystals instead of the Krakoan flora being used would have probably worked better. Not to mention they could have different councils plotting against the Inhuman royal family as the Inhuman society could plan to overthrow a monarchy in favor of democracy. You could tell some interesting stories there.

I think a lot of concepts from his Fantastic Four like Universal Inhumans, Royal Family, Future Foundation, even the Illuminati are somewhat aligning towards its interpretation when compared to his X-Men. It kinda of annoys me now. It wasn't something that is much of a problem for me. But after hearing rumors about "terraforming Mars" for X-Men, I am not sure there will be much of a difference between Hickmans Inhumans and X-Men as a group of fictional characters bc they are practically making X-Men the New Inhumans.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_: Yeah, I've seen people claim that all Hickman's Marvel stuff is going to be all linked together whether subtly or otherwise. The problem with that of course is while he is in charge of the X-men overall, the majority of the other books are not by him, so, who knows how they follow along.

It is weird how years ago they wanted the Inhumans to be more like the X-men and now the X-Men are becoming the Inhumans though.

Evidenced by things like Hickman's "Pax Romana" it is pretty clear he likes to write about political structures and hegemony and the like. Things that really have nothing to do with the X-Men. I think I would have much rather seen a Hickman Inhumans book to be honest.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brain wash all humans into tolerant mutant loving hippies and halt global research into AI.

Seriously mutant kind is threatened by man and machine. Neuter man and prevent the rise of machine and you have solved 90% of all mutant strife

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
    deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

@vishop_: Yeah, I've seen people claim that all Hickman's Marvel stuff is going to be all linked together whether subtly or otherwise. The problem with that of course is while he is in charge of the X-men overall, the majority of the other books are not by him, so, who knows how they follow along.

I am not sure how SWORD is connected to what Hickman is doing so far. His run is dedicated to cosmic stuff rather than X-Men stuff that is tie-ined with rest of the Marvel events. I guess they only wanted to add another big name bc sales are dwindling so far. Seeing how most of the x-villains are heroes now actually makes me think there is no hope of seeing X-Men being its own self-contained universe anymore.

MagneticStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would start by forming an proper military like every other world super power. As powerful as the mutants are they are heavily out numbered by the overall super hero community and man kind. Every mutant would be required to train for combat as soon and as young as possible, instead of PE for the children we'd have training and mastery of the "Arts".

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is interesting...I do feel like the topic is missing a 2 major points.....mostly that Krakoa isn't just a mutant society but a NEW society. It hasn't established laws, boundaries, or punishments (outside of the hole of no return).

It's still a developing nation and needs to be explored as such rather then a *finger snap* everythings good approach.

And to do that we need to look toward what a real burgeoning societies problems are and then apply mutants and the Marvel Universe to it as best we can with both the quick solutions and insurmountable issues that it brings....which is pretty good.

The second is that I think we need to take stock in what exactly Krakoa has before we establish what we'd do different.

For as much as we ridicule it, Krakoa gave seats at the table to the biggest mutant trouble makers and would be conquerors and took their opinions and perspectives with all seriousness. And it's established a comfort zone for a blend of characters that otherwise wouldn't fit. It's also essentially fixed the need for everyday mutant issues to be ignored for a plot where Kitty goes clothes shopping and chases down an alligator man who lays eggs...

It's alot to break down....but I don't feel like it now so, I'll be back

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

This is interesting...I do feel like the topic is missing a 2 major points.....mostly that Krakoa isn't just a mutant society but a NEW society. It hasn't established laws, boundaries, or punishments (outside of the hole of no return).

It's still a developing nation and needs to be explored as such rather then a *finger snap* everythings good approach.

And to do that we need to look toward what a real burgeoning societies problems are and then apply mutants and the Marvel Universe to it as best we can with both the quick solutions and insurmountable issues that it brings....which is pretty good.

The second is that I think we need to take stock in what exactly Krakoa has before we establish what we'd do different.

For as much as we ridicule it, Krakoa gave seats at the table to the biggest mutant trouble makers and would be conquerors and took their opinions and perspectives with all seriousness. And it's established a comfort zone for a blend of characters that otherwise wouldn't fit. It's also essentially fixed the need for everyday mutant issues to be ignored for a plot where Kitty goes clothes shopping and chases down an alligator man who lays eggs...

It's alot to break down....but I don't feel like it now so, I'll be back

That is an incredibly fair point. Krakoa is still in its youth, so it might be too soon to say for sure that this is how they will continue to run their mutant society for good.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: see I agree, but story isnt really tackling these issues i guess. its all "The island provides all", like Krakoa is just a magic hand wave of not having to explain anything. Its odd, and I think glossing over this and just having "krakoa provides" or whatever as the answer to most everything is the part that bothers me the most about it

MasterOfEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easy. Get rid of Mystique.

Done.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: @pyrofn "who wants to see my Zing at Koays???? LOL VVVVV

@koays off topic......... Congratz koays, you are the "Big Fish" in a small pond!!!! haha

XDXD sincerely, not sincerely Hope!

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not a fan of the whole Krakoa thing. We already had Genosha and Utopia so I say just keep it at those two. But it does seem alot like the Inhumans. Xmen should just go back to the mansion. Maybe have splinter group like Xforce or New Mutants or Generation X operating as a West Coast type team or separate from society in Utopia or Genosha or on a new Asteroid X space station

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.