Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Has it ever been explained what exactly a Omega level mutant is?

william300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Something we X-MEN fans have discussed of and on for years. As you know were sometimes shown that certain mutants are classified as being Omega level. But what makes it to where a mutant can be classified as such? How is it that Iceman is considered Omega level but Storm isn't? Have we ever been given a proper explanation as to what a Omega level mutant is? Thoughts?

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

To my knowledge an omega level mutant is a mutant who's powers could affect the world on a global scale.

silvanoshei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By silvanoshei

It really depends on who you ask now a days. But really it should be mutants who can manipulate matter or energy. (Aka the most powerful of mutants such as Ice-Man, Jean Grey, Legion, etc.)

Dman1366

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@william300: well seeing how Iceman is immortal and can literally stop entropy, I would definitely rank him over storm....

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega level mutants are mutants whose potential powers have no limitations or boundaries. Nothing more, nothing less.

Takeshi55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mutants who could destroy the world if they wanted to on a simple whim.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega level mutants are generally the most powerful mutant type , they have abilities to be potentially immortal ( depending if you full reach your potential) , their powers are powerful enough if used to full potential to extremely beneficial (ex. healing ) or extremely destructive (ex. Vulcan's whole powerset)

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something we X-MEN fans have discussed of and on for years. As you know were sometimes shown that certain mutants are classified as being Omega level. But what makes it to where a mutant can be classified as such? How is it that Iceman is considered Omega level but Storm isn't?Have we ever been given a proper explanation as to what a Omega level mutant is? Thoughts?

Storm AND Magneto should be classified as Omega level LONG time ago given the feats they have under there belts. But on the other hand (personally) to be honest......It's Just A Title. Being an Omega level mutant does NOT make a character MORE powerful than the other. Most of the ones who are classified as Omega are either dead or gone. I have always thought Omega lvl mutants where characters that the writers had no I idea what to do for them.

The explanation for an Omega Level Mutant is a mutants power that has no limitations.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

~signs on~ (sees the omega level thread has been reincarnated) ~signs off~

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: jean grey is the alpha and omega so explain that one?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

Omega level mutants are mutants whose potential powers have no limitations or boundaries. Nothing more, nothing less.

Pretty much. And you can't take feats into account for the most part. There are many powerful mutants who are capable of high level feats who are not Omega level mutants, such as Magneto, or Storm. Those mutants fall under other designations, and are more similar to Omega "class" mutants like Emma Frost, and Prof. X, whose power levels and feats are considered among the highest in their class of mutations. It's mainly a label. Plus we've seen Omega level mutants defeated and killed by much weaker opponents, so there is absolutely nothing to be gained from getting awarded that rank.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares weirdos, an omega level mutant is just a powerful ass mutant

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor said:

Pretty much. And you can't take feats into account for the most part. There are many powerful mutants who are capable of high level feats who are not Omega level mutants, such as Magneto, or Storm. Those mutants fall under other designations, and are more similar to Omega "class" mutants like Emma Frost, and Prof. X, whose power levels and feats are considered among the highest in their class of mutations. It's mainly a label. Plus we've seen Omega level mutants defeated and killed by much weaker opponents, so there is absolutely nothing to be gained from getting awarded that rank.

Yup this sounds about right......though it's pretty much a Curse to be labeled an Omega level mutant, because almost all of them are dead LOL and are not important anymore.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

i think the fact that if you rip storm or magnetos heart out they die, but not so much for Iceman or jean

silvanoshei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

i think the fact that if you rip storm or magnetos heart out they die, but not so much for Iceman or jean

I'm not so sure, if your powers can theoretically destroy the world.... I would consider you an Omega.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silvanoshei: thing is most powers cant destroy the world in like a matter of minutes or what not so if while idk say magneto is concentrating and focusing on destroy the world you put a bullet in his head, problem solved ya know lol

silvanoshei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

@silvanoshei: thing is most powers cant destroy the world in like a matter of minutes or what not so if while idk say magneto is concentrating and focusing on destroy the world you put a bullet in his head, problem solved ya know lol

Depends on the location, what if he's in space lol, bullet can't reach that far. That and he could just cause a heartattack to anyone getting close to him. Dudes powerful, and he could destroy the world given time. The same with storm, not instant, but if hiding, they will destroy the world. That makes them Omega.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silvanoshei: that's your ddefinition and I respect that I'm just saying that is how marvel seperates them

silvanoshei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn: Curious, I was going off Marvel's "definition", which includes your immortality classification of Omega, and it can also be mutants with extreme manipulation of matter and energy.

Unless Marvel has actually defined the term Omega somewhere that I missed? :(

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omega classification started when Nimrod stated that Rachel is an omega level mutant. Omega class mutants have no limitations. They can push their feats to higher levels

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By adamTRMM
    @koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: ~signs on~ (sees Jean Grey brought up in an omega level thread) ~signs off~

Pffff. And you call yourself a god-mutant king of this forum when you can't even handle what is supposed to be your own status? Either you're in denial or you're a.....................:

SHOTS FIRED!

Loading Video...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The title was always a mess. They called Omegas those who sometimes have little difference from others NOT described Omegas.

For example, both Magneto and X-man were said to have an unlimited potential. Yet both had some physical flaws that prevented them tapping into their whole capabilities in fear to burn themselves out. Same is for Jean Grey (if you consider Brat Grey canon) and Cable, even though he wasn't described Omeag, recently his clone was.

Now Beyond Omega is funny. The only reason it was used I feel was Brubaker trying his best to make Vulcan a big deal. Ironically enough he himself never truly used him in any way "Beyond Omega" during Rise and Fall and the Deadly Genesis unstoppable machine was revealed to be a power up with Darwin, Petra and Sway powers inside of him. So what was that about? From what I've read he wanted to make him an ultimate elemental or something, and well that's not the powers he had...

Then you have Franklin Richards, and this kid is really godlike. A Celestial level being who by those said Celestials themselves was described "Beyond Omega". Why would Celestials use that Earthly description is beyond me and actually stupid, but judge by what we have right? Destined to become the new Galactus of the next universe, a mutie of not just power, but universal importance. Hickman made pretty big deal out of him.

Another curious subject, Legion. Described by Magik "The god-mutant" when he was about to erase some Elder Gods from existence. But the guy is destined to be a plot device due to his easily exploited mental instability writers can slap any brainfart with him in the center to justify some shady ideas. But his power levels are something you can't ignore when Omegas are being mentioned.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:
    @koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: ~signs on~ (sees Jean Grey brought up in an omega level thread) ~signs off~

Pffff. And you call yourself a god-mutant king of this forum when you can't even handle what is supposed to be your own status? Either you're in denial or you're a.....................:

SHOTS FIRED!

LMAO...Shame on you adamtrmm....I'm out here trying to create a better forum for our people to thrive in only for you to come off a hiatus and criticize my leadership. And over the biggest bait topic we have on this board? For shame...as Mutant God-King of the X-Boards (Trademark) i'm so disappointed to see someone i considered a brother stoop to such levels.

No Caption Provided
    adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

But maybe.... maybe.... I'm just jealous of your status... And my hiatus having a effect on me and me fearing my overshadowed (by you) reputation on here to fade away completely.... <-< >->

Or maybe, I'm pulling a Magneto on your Cyclops right here... on an accelerated basis though - first "kneeling", then challenging and then completely taking over Uncanny............................................

So, I'm challenging you as well, to debate with me.............. OMEGA LEVEL MUTANTS right here, right now.

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Well if that's the case....

No Caption Provided

-----------------
    (reads post)

Well then....uh....kinda just agree with what you said...but I won't back down.

In order to even discuss Omega Level, you first just need to clarify what it means to have limitless potential.

Potential isn't something you've achieved yet or currently have achieve. It's what you can achieve.

-Magneto has limits to his powers. They are extremely high end but they do exist.

-Jean Grey has no limits.

-Can Magneto beat Jean Grey? Yes. Has Jean been outclassed in tk strength, yes.

-But at the end of the day Jean Grey has more potential then Magneto.

What does that mean? It can mean alot.

- Jean has picked up buildings, and temporarily held up a space station. But done both with a huge strain. So maybe she doesn't have unlimited potential for lifting. But she has split minds apart and rig them to reassemble at a moment...So maybe the unlimited potential comes in with her telepathic abilities. Hell she claims to perceive things beyond the atomic level and the fact that Emma didn't turn into a pile of goo after she was reassembled hint toward that being true...so maybe she has limitless potential for mental perception.

- X-Man, Rachel and Cabe have shown ridiculous levels of power. Able to warp reality, time, and space. But they've burned out, and been fodderized in the past due to lack of strength. So clearly their not unlimited in their power outputs. But Perhaps in what they could eventually achieve with the basic TP/TK powersets.

The basic truth of Omega Level is that it doesn't equal out to power, skill, diversity or anything else. Iceman is an Omega Level and all we really know is that he has an exceptionally wide range for his abilities at full power and can establish his consciousness as a living storm. That's alot of power....but it's also not unique since in the Marvel Universe their are alot greater levels of power then existing as moisture.

The fact is that Omega Level only means that they have a potential for being obscenely strong that hasn't been shown on panel yet. Jean is powerful but has exhausted herself before, Iceman is powerful but has been injured before. There is no evidence that suggest by being an Omega level you no longer have to work and push your abilities to get stronger, just that if you do you can achieve higher level feats easier then someone with a comparable powerset. And honestly there's no way for Moira Mactaggert or anyone else to look at someone and determine that they have "no limits" if they haven' done anything yet. By following the in story examples rather then the explanation, it becomes more clear that Omega Level is less about "no limits" and more about "unknown limits".

Beyond Omega, should simply be someone who can achieve the ridiculous levels of power that we come to expect from a fully realized Omega without the drawbacks. Vulcan and Malloy have shown to be able to go without eating (something even the phoenix force needs to do), they don't get exhausted and can maintain rdiculous levels of power without tiring. Omega Levels across the board however have been able to achieve exceptionally high end feats (messages from the beginning of time, ripping open dimensional holes, reassembling matter at an insane level) and then been exhausted by it where as the "Beyond Omega's" have not.

So perhaps a Beyond Omega level is someone whose limits we can actually calculate, and its so great that we know it's higher then the unknown limits. So basically mutants work on the theory of Pi. in which Pi is just an infinite number for this example.

A normal mutant falls somewhere between the 1st hundred digits of this infinite number. An Omega Level can fall anywhere from 101st digit to the second to last digit of the infinite number. While a Beyond Omega Level mutant is like if someone told you the last digit to Pi is 5. You know the last digit so while you might be able to say that Malloy or Vulcan fits the last digit you don't know for sure anything after the first 101 digits so you can't say where Franklin Richards might fall on the gap.

BOOM
    (Mic drop)

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcklayn said:

Depends on the location, what if he's in space lol, bullet can't reach that far. That and he could just cause a heartattack to anyone getting close to him. Dudes powerful, and he could destroy the world given time. The same with storm, not instant, but if hiding, they will destroy the world. That makes them Omega.

Thing is, there are a number of mutants you wouldn't consider "Omega" due to not being used that much that can destroy the world:

• Firestar's microwaves, if uninhibited, can rupture the atmosphere, and destroy the magnetic field permanently. The only thing preventing her from doing this was a specialized suit and her training as a good guy.
    • Siena Blaze's energy blasts can do much of the same - and she primarily was a blaster. Each blast ripped massive holes in the Earth's magnetic field triggering disasters in their wake, and Storm almost died trying to repair the damage of just one or two of these blasts.
    • Magma's uncontrolled tectonic powers can permanently destroy continents, and make the planet uninhabitable. We've actually never really seen her use her powers to that level, but every indication is that firing magma and lava takes more effort - her power over tectonic planets is pretty much instinctual. This power is technically limited to a few city blocks...but using this type of power near a fault line or in a place like San Francisco is all she needs to do to set off a chain reaction.

We already know Storm and Magneto have this potential, albeit Storm would need more time because her powers are generally indirect with the exception of lightning (i.e. if she set off a massive storm, and then released her control of it, it's the weather patterns and their destabilizing effect on the planet's natural weather patterns that would cause the most destruction, not the storm she personally controlled), while Magneto would need a power amp and time to prep. But the mutants above don't need either. Yet Firestar and Magma are ranked lower and used less than most characters.

silvanoshei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By silvanoshei

@phoenixofthetides: I feel your comment is kind of a strawman argument to be honest. You're saying you agree with the premise that storm and magneto can destroy the world with their energy/matter manipulation powers, but toss in this example that really doesn't relate to Marvel's vague idea of what an Omega is.

It's like disagreeing with me because the kree can do X and Y and not even mutants can do that, so Omega class is debunked. The feat of destroying the world would come easy to Storm and Magneto, and those mutants you've listed are not really a good counter argument because Omega class isn't based on "could they destroy the world" criteria, but based on what their powers can do and how flexible/powerful it is.

Saying Z mutant with power remove oxygen from Earth in 200 years is not a good counter argument on why someone should or should not be Omega. I hope that makes sense.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays:

Oh look, the bait has worked. (and did widely)

>:)

In order to even discuss Omega Level, you first just need to clarify what it means to have limitless potential.

Potential isn't something you've achieved yet or currently have achieve. It's what you can achieve.

-Magneto has limits to his powers. They are extremely high end but they do exist.

-Jean Grey has no limits.

-Can Magneto beat Jean Grey? Yes. Has Jean been outclassed in tk strength, yes.

-But at the end of the day Jean Grey has more potential then Magneto.

What does that mean? It can mean alot.

- Jean has picked up buildings, and temporarily held up a space station. But done both with a huge strain. So maybe she doesn't have unlimited potential for lifting. But she has split minds apart and rig them to reassemble at a moment...So maybe the unlimited potential comes in with her telepathic abilities. Hell she claims to perceive things beyond the atomic level and the fact that Emma didn't turn into a pile of goo after she was reassembled hint toward that being true...so maybe she has limitless potential for mental perception.

- X-Man, Rachel and Cabe have shown ridiculous levels of power. Able to warp reality, time, and space. But they've burned out, and been fodderized in the past due to lack of strength. So clearly their not unlimited in their power outputs. But Perhaps in what they could eventually achieve with the basic TP/TK powersets.

That's the problem that Magneto hasn't reached his ultimate power yet. I'm using Magneto as an example because I'm well-familiar with narrative around his powers mainly. It was said at least three times on different occasions. But how does it work for somebody who isn't even Omega? Or what does unlimited potential even means? To evolve past physical boundaries? Well many non Omegas do. To become "cosmic level"? Mad Jim Jaspers is still unmatched in this area, and no, non Omega. To evolve.... to what? Yes this question exactly.

Saying Magneto's limits exist is basically saying the same about Nate and Jean. All three of them can physically and even fatally burn themselves out if their power usage goes unchecked. Nate Grey solo confirms this, deprived of Xavier's mental blocks Xorn-Jean confirmed this during BotA it's true for her as well. Same with Cable, but he's no Omega and had a TO virus, thus to complicated to use (yes I myself did, but now I see the errors of my way lol)

I understand and I basically agree with what you say, but the ultimate flaw of this subject is that it isn't only true for Omegas apparently.

The basic truth of Omega Level is that it doesn't equal out to power, skill, diversity or anything else. Iceman is an Omega Level and all we really know is that he has an exceptionally wide range for his abilities at full power and can establish his consciousness as a living storm. That's alot of power....but it's also not unique since in the Marvel Universe their are alot greater levels of power then existing as moisture.

Speculation time:

After Frozen, I think Iceman's potential is to become one with the elements, all of them. Maybe since this potential is unlimited and his psy-link (for now) is non-existent, his further evolution will bind him to all three dimensions of space maybe? Well, for certain the same can be said about Vulcan and even more grounded then since his power is already to manipulate the primal universal forces.

The fact is that Omega Level only means that they have a potential for being obscenely strong that hasn't been shown on panel yet. Jean is powerful but has exhausted herself before, Iceman is powerful but has been injured before. There is no evidence that suggest by being an Omega level you no longer have to work and push your abilities to get stronger, just that if you do you can achieve higher level feats easier then someone with a comparable powerset. And honestly there's no way for Moira Mactaggert or anyone else to look at someone and determine that they have "no limits" if they haven' done anything yet. By following the in story examples rather then the explanation, it becomes more clear that Omega Level is less about "no limits" and more about "unknown limits".

Ok, I'm fine with it but Iceman, when he drops his mental barriers he becomes a conscious force of nature, again, Frozen. He is virtually immortal and the only reason he doesn't become one with it is his own doubt.

I keep saying, Frozen is the best Iceman story I've read, and most likely will ever read, duh.

Beyond Omega, should simply be someone who can achieve the ridiculous levels of power that we come to expect from a fully realized Omega without the drawbacks. Vulcan and Malloy have shown to be able to go without eating (something even the phoenix force needs to do), they don't get exhausted and can maintain rdiculous levels of power without tiring. Omega Levels across the board however have been able to achieve exceptionally high end feats (messages from the beginning of time, ripping open dimensional holes, reassembling matter at an insane level) and then been exhausted by it where as the "Beyond Omega's" have not.

Bendis explained Malloy's (ugh, why is he even mentioned?) source of power to be interdimensional right? Meaning in that he's like Colossus, just with powerset much more diverse and well, devastating. Does it mean he can drain the whole dimension in channeling these energies? Or he can spread his influence on the other ones? On the main-verse and its primal forces? Cosmic forces? Is this what is supposed to be the evolution of his "Omeganess"?

Vulcan on the other hand is very simple, he feeds on energy and either converts or manipulates it. Energy is everywhere even his "lesser" brothers turn energy into their weapon but can only use it through very limited means. He doesn't. But still his power as of now has been overshadowed by others. Meaning he barely even touched not just his Beyond Omega level, even a "simple" Omega level alone. sigh... the character has so much potential, but he's written like an idiot.

So perhaps a Beyond Omega level is someone whose limits we can actually calculate, and its so great that we know it's higher then the unknown limits. So basically mutants work on the theory of Pi. in which Pi is just an infinite number for this example.

Again, Franky and David, the most notable Omegas, I don't think the nature of their power was ever revealed, but if let's say it's about being an ultimate psi being shouldn't it naturally make them transcend and tap into Phoenix Force, that is supposed to be an incarnation of psi force in MU? Another question we have to ask ;)

A normal mutant falls somewhere between the 1st hundred digits of this infinite number. An Omega Level can fall anywhere from 101st digit to the second to last digit of the infinite number. While a Beyond Omega Level mutant is like if someone told you the last digit to Pi is 5. You know the last digit so while you might be able to say that Malloy or Vulcan fits the last digit you don't know for sure anything after the first 101 digits so you can't say where Franklin Richards might fall on the gap.

Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been long time since I touched maths but soon this nightmare will fall upon me for years to come (university)... this cruel world) but doesn't each digit lessen the gap between the "X" and the outcome?

But all in all, we do agree on what Omega is "supposed to be" but we kinda disagree that it is really that unique and really addresses the question around it.

Avatar image for theweewoowombat
    TheWeewooWombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silvanoshei: magneto is not omega level since he struggles with some things over others, for example he could manipulate specific wavelength’s of electromagnetic radiation, however he finds if difficult to do so, omega level would not have this struggle

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By laughingbatman

@silvanoshei: magneto is not omega level since he struggles with some things over others, for example he could manipulate specific wavelength’s of electromagnetic radiation, however he finds if difficult to do so, omega level would not have this struggle

why would you bump this thread. the thread is dead. bury it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.