Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Has anyone read the paperback prose novel of The Dark Phoenix Saga? How did it compare to the graphic novel?

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

The written novel is written by Stuart Moore.

I'm curious how the mass market paperback (or hardcover) compares to the original Dark Phoenix Saga comic/graphic novels. Cover of the novel:

No Caption Provided

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PyroFN

@fall1n1: It really good, I gotta say. More condensed and you concentrate more on Jean’s inner state of mind the majority of the time. You do get Scott’s perspective every so often, but Jean is front and center entirely. You are basically with her the entire way.

You also get hints of developments that happen later in comic history taking place earlier. For instance, Emma and Scott’s romance is short starting to spark in this story and it becomes a sort of central conflict that provokes Jean in their fight, similar to how New X-Men went, yet this time, you don’t entirely side with Jean because you see from her perspective where this rabbit hole is taking her.

The downfall of this is you are still in essence reading the same graphic novel in text form. It’s non-canon of course because certain interactions that never took place in the comics happen in this novel, but you are basically reading the same Dark Phoenix Saga that Claremont wrote.

With all that said, to me, it’s a really interesting read.

Fall1n1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@pyrofn: I'm so glad to hear that because I really didn't know what to expect, you've pit my fears to bed. I'm now seeing both Marvel and DC have made quite a few novelizations of some of their seminal graphic novels (killing joke, mad love, court of owls etc). I love books and to hear my favorite characters are in prose form is lovely. I especially like that it explores Jean's mental state. In most media, and the original comic I believe, she goes rather insane as she becomes the Dark Phoenix. I also find it profoundly interesting that psychic powers are used to explore mental illness. Great metaphor and avenue to explore those themes.

I have only one really pressing concern lolz I meant to buy the hardcover of the book but forgot and bought the mass market paperback instead. They're always the same but in this case the excerpts in the back said different things, the hardcover had a really good summary, and on some OCD nonsense I've been thinking all day that the one I bought has inferior content, or less content. I may be just as insa...idiosyncratic as Jean haha

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.