Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Hail to the Black King!

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By PyroFN

SPOILERS!!!!

Emma Frost just overthrew the Hellfire Club in X-Men: Black. Meanwhile, since when has Shaw had psychic resistance? Last I checked, Emma felt him the last time they fought.

No Caption Provided

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP White Queen. Long Live the King!

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inb4 this gets undone in six months.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Storm and Magneto shared the position as White King

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#5 god_spawn  Moderator

@pyrofn: Shaw had resistance in their last fight back towards the end of Fraction’s run. She had to use an illusion to get around it before going full mind wipe on him.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
    TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emma's not really interested in HF club; she was just looking for an excuse to wear black again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f
    deactivated-5ed8b26019d3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: So based on her motives for taking over, I guess marvel is trying to the anti-hero route.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Thanks for the correction. Duly noted.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpendejo: I don’t think so, unless Emma’s goals for the Hellfire Club are Magneto-like, which to me doesn’t seem to be the case...yet anyways. I think she is seeking prestige once more, power. What she does with that power, I have no idea, but those that seek to overthrow an evil organization are usually evil themselves. While Emma isn’t evil, she has been towing the villain/ anti-hero line.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I’m honestly fine with Emma being a villain, I just want marvel to be consistent with her. Like marvel, don’t get my hopes up by putting Emma in an avengers team in one event and then have her take over a criminal organization in the next.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly though, im just hoping she recruits the Cuckoos.

And i mean JUST the cuckoos. She can restart the hellions or bring in a bunch of new powerhouses for muscle . But i really dont want to see any more "X-Men joins the Hellfire club" plots.

And i mean honestly, this is all considering that this doesnt become a forgotten backround event like the last 36 times the hellfire club was brought back to do a crap ton of nothing.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Black King the highest position in Hellfire Club?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, I'm not a fan of Hellfire Club's titles. Black King should be assigned to men only. Or are they wanting Iceman to become the next White Queen

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays: I think the worst iteration that is the offender is the era where the club was composed of normal kids.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Lol! Iceman.

Anyways, to answer your question: Yes, Black King is the highest title, which is probably why she took that title rather than Black Queen. So that she is recognized as the unequivocal chairman, with no one to threaten her position. (Officially anyway)

The Hellfire Club is supposed to be based on chess pieces, where you have the Kong’s, Queens, and Rooks to go with your pawns. (Not sure what they did about the Bishops and Knights)

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:

@jhazzroucher: Lol! Iceman.

Anyways, to answer your question: Yes, Black King is the highest title, which is probably why she took that title rather than Black Queen. So that she is recognized as the unequivocal chairman, with no one to threaten her position. (Officially anyway)

The Hellfire Club is supposed to be based on chess pieces, where you have the Kong’s, Queens, and Rooks to go with your pawns. (Not sure what they did about the Bishops and Knights)

They don't need priests. Hence no Bishop.

A Rook is not a living thing, referred to as a chariot or tower/castle

Mizerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: Nope, but they are chess pieces used in the game of chess. That is what the Hellfire Club members are, real life chess pieces, with the Black King as the most crucial parts to staying in the game and with the Queens having all the power and work to protect the King as well as the Rooks.

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well crap. So much for my hope of Emma rejoining the X-men sometime soon.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

And i mean JUST the cuckoos. She can restart the hellions or bring in a bunch of new powerhouses for muscle . But i really dont want to see any more "X-Men joins the Hellfire club" plots.

And i mean honestly, this is all considering that this doesnt become a forgotten backround event like the last 36 times the hellfire club was brought back to do a crap ton of nothing.

So, who wore it better:

Emma Frost

No Caption Provided

Or

Selene Gallio

No Caption Provided

Or

Jean Grey

No Caption Provided

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can someone explain the apocalypse stuff at the end of each x-men black issue? Like what's it for/about? I read them but i don't get it at all

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn said:
    @koays said:

So, who wore it better:

Emma Frost

No Caption Provided

Or

Selene Gallio

No Caption Provided

Or

Jean Grey

No Caption Provided

Selene. Due to her black hair and her evil looking costume.

Emma doesn't look villainous and her costume is more like a dress.

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelfan1992: Apocalypse on an island, using celestial technology and experiments to try to bond himself to some men (I think it was implied that he cloned/created them )

Anyways, something goes wrong with the machine, time and space bends, expands and contracts then returns to normal.

Apocalypse finds himself in a transformed landscape that is unlike anything he has seen on earth. His body starts to reject his mutation, and he starts to need thing like oxygen, water and gets tired.

In addition to that, his body starts to devolve and as that happens, he loses intelligence.

Anyway, he fights monkeys, fights some other things, blah blah. He then gets kidnapped with the monkey (he looks like a monkey at this point but still has a little intelligence), by some strange beings who are performing Experiments similar to those that Apocalypse was performing at the beginning.

Anyways, Apocalypse attacks one of them when he is in his cage, and is taken by their leader to be used for the experiment. Something happens again and His mind and genetic material are transferred into the Leaders body and he is transformed into apocalypse.

Apocalypse, in this new body realizes that he is still on the island. The initial explosion and time space bend spliced his genetic material and celestial technology into every molecule of the island transforming the island and evolving the plants and animals there. The strange beings are the original test subjects he had, now fully evolved to regenerate and generate energy weapons.

Apocalypse in his repowered state takes on a group of them, killing them with energy blasts/manipulation of his body/physical strength. He acknowledges that this new body will eventually die out too, he destroys the island with a machine and Flys away.

marvelfan1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: I mean was this in the past? Current time? I was so lost at first I thought it was his origin or some shot lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: I’m gonna say Selene, although Emma’s black version of her hero costume is growing on me. I was kinda hoping her black king costume would be like a black version of her original white queen costume.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

.......Wait, how does she overthrow the Hellfire club when she was practically still utilizing them in both Secret Empire and in X-Men Blue?

I've been out of the loop, and haven't read many comics for a while, but... errr... X-Men Black seems really out of continuity.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gladeusex: The implication is that it was a coup, that she was a member of the club and took control of it using her supporters while Shaws recovering supporters were taken out by the X-Men

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well crap. So much for my hope of Emma rejoining the X-men sometime soon.

Same :(

It'll be interesting to see if and how she goes up against Jean Grey

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@gladeusex: The implication is that it was a coup, that she was a member of the club and took control of it using her supporters while Shaws recovering supporters were taken out by the X-Men

So Emma is now a villain?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan: If Emma and Jean can be in the same team again at least once I can die happy

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: Technically Lord Emperium is the highest title in the club. And i always feel like the version where Sunspot was black king was the worst. Most wasted time an energy ive ever seen.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Kinda predictable.

GladeusEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jhazzroucher: There's no guarantee that she's a full blown villain, but I think its telling that they went for the Black King over the White King.

I get a far more insidious feeling that they wanted to put Emma into the male centric title to bash said male centric title, either way.

Overall, I'm not liking the direction this comic went in, and I'll lay out my thoughts on the matter sometime soon.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, wouldn't she be the "Black Queen"?? Is she a man all of the sudden too??

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By HAWK2916

Emma taking over the Hellfire club is a plot I can get behind. But her being Black King and the art in the issue was and is just stupid and unnecessary. She can be the White Queen and still do what she needs to do. Why Marvel insist on having people take over a so called mantle instead of elevating their own identity is beyond me.

I have several ideas that I'd like to see for her going forward.

One was for this to be the basis for a new Xfactor book. Maybe taking it back to the government sponsored team but with the corporate idea and freedom force ideas kinda added in. Emma bankrolling a team and operating with her own agenda in destroying and taking over the Hellfire club assets but getting the government or others onboard seems like a natural thing for her. Plus it plays to her whole purpose way back when in joining Osborn's Dark Xmen. Her in an Xfactor book with maybe a roster of Havok, Polaris, Sage, Bishop, Monet, Psylocke and Archangel along with someone like Valerie Cooper and the O.N.E might be something interesting.

As for @koays idea of her restarting the Hellions....I'm all for that. Getting the Cuckoo's and maybe a few more recruits would be awesome. I keep putting it out there but here's a chance to introduce new but slightly familiar students if they want. I say give her the future Exhumes from the Summers Rebellion and Bishop timeline. Maybe give us: Daemon, Hecate, Amazon, Linqon, Sureshot, Trace, Virago. Flesh those characters out as teenagers and go from there kind of a clean slate. Maybe introduce some human students into the mix with someone like Tom Skylark or some others and let Emma fo her thing. Or grab some of the mutants that have been sprinkled in over the last couple of years....so maybe some like Kiden Nixon, Host. Liam Connaughton, Ginny Guzman, Tucker, and maybe bring in the surviving former Inferno babies or whatever with Trista, Shauna, and Toko. This would be a pretty tough group of Hellions.

The other idea I kinda wanted was for her and Magneto to squash their beef and she just join the brotherhood but use it to takedown and take over the Hellfire club assets. It might be kinda interesting to see her on a team with Magneto, Exodus, Elixir,Unuscione and Briar Raleigh. That would be a pretty formidable group for sure.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrofn: i read it online,,.......it was ok

did emma kill shaw?

would be funny if emma starts her own school again "scott summers school for mutants" LOL <<<<<<<

thats just her regular outfit painted black LOL......couldnt they make another design *signs* lazy artist

JeannieH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: Thank you for the Summary. It is indeed helpful. Not sure what that will amount to though.

@hopesummersforthefuture HAHA!! Scott Summers School of Mutants is hilarious!! Good One!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.