Guide to Reading X-Men Comics

• 77 results
#51 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

(Though if it's true, i'm thinking we need to reevaluate our stance on drugs. In 2016 maybe the X-Boards should come out in support of writer drug use....though theres a possibility Bendis has been waiting for this exact moment to tell us the real reason Jean Grey turned purple)

were we ever against writer drug use? or drug use in general?

I certainly was never informed of this..

No Caption Provided

Lmao...Well in that case, Once again the X-Men and their fans are ahead of the curve! ....I'll go get the marching band

No Caption Provided

You know...considering the fact that "new mutant drug" is like right behind time travel and Phoenix Force on the list of most used plots, It shouldn't surprise me if we actually were leading the Pro-Drug charge on the site.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
#52 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

You know...considering the fact that "new mutant drug" is like right behind time travel and Phoenix Force on the list of most used plots, It shouldn't surprise me if we actually were leading the Pro-Drug charge on the site.

mm.. though drugs are generally shown in a negative light in X-men stories. There's the "cure" type stories, which I always see as being analogous to modern society's tendency to try to normalize behavior pharmacologically; there was the Kick and Banshee stories, analogous of uppers and performance enhancing drugs, both of which were depicted in terms of negatively effecting behavioral patterns; and there's Mutant Growth Hormone, which thematically seemed to be about the human cost of the illegal drug trade.

Comparatively, there's virtually no X-men stories that show the beneficial effects of either clinical or casual drug use (unless you count Wolverine and Nightcrawler's love of whisky and beer), despite many of the characters displaying a range of mental health issues -from depression to PTSD to body dysmorphia (to issues that could only happen in sci-fi, like mental possession, etc)- and despite that they're supposed to be from a wide range of social and cultural backgrounds that you'd think would give them a broader range of both attitudes and tastes in regards to drugs..

#53 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

mm.. though drugs are generally shown in a negative light in X-men stories. There's the "cure" type stories, which I always see as being analogous to modern society's tendency to try to normalize behavior pharmacologically; there was the Kick and Banshee stories, analogous of uppers and performance enhancing drugs, both of which were depicted in terms of negatively effecting behavioral patterns; and there's Mutant Growth Hormone, which thematically seemed to be about the human cost of the illegal drug trade.

Comparatively, there's virtually no X-men stories that show the beneficial effects of either clinical or casual drug use (unless you count Wolverine and Nightcrawler's love of whisky and beer), despite many of the characters displaying a range of mental health issues -from depression to PTSD to body dysmorphia (to issues that could only happen in sci-fi, like mental possession, etc)- and despite that they're supposed to be from a wide range of social and cultural backgrounds that you'd think would give them a broader range of both attitudes and tastes in regards to drugs..

Yea, I guess it sort of goes back to the level of maturity the X-Books have struggled with finding a balance for since (once again) the 90's. There's a very consistent level of inconsistency when it comes to how far they're willing to go in a story or arc that involves or should involve these topics. And even on the clinical side we don't see much discussion... Iceman, Husk, and Aurora in recent years have had bouts of multiple personality disorder where the solution has been essentially "just talk bout it", Magneto admittedly suffers from some type of mental issue linked to his powers, hell how many surgeries have people immediately walked out of without a prescription...but they won't even show a Volume for fear of examining or accidentally taking a stance on anything involving mental health.

To me the fact that the worst drug effect we've seen (aside from being possessed by Sublime) has been the equivalent of a roid rage is kind of lacking. But it seems like it's part of an across the board retreat from certain depths of mature storytelling, and a fear of pushing against that wall. I mean Cyclops and Emma waking up from a night of sex 2 issues after his wife died seems to be a little more socially irresponsible then showing how a young telepath on his own in the Marvel U would attempt to deal with constantly having hundreds of voices in their head. I mean i'm not saying Quire should show up to the JGS with a bookbag full of "edibles" (though seems like it happened enough when I was in school to be valid) but im thinking that showing a more varied stance then "All pills are being abused, all ailments can be solved with therapy, painkillers don't exist and if it's sold on the street its the worst kind of drug that will destroy your soul by making you irritable.

Idk, maybe theres a thread about maturity in X-Comics somewhere in all this...i'm just to lazy to make it.

#54 Posted by tec2030 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: @oldnightcrawler:I love that my offhand comment about Claremont doing coke turned into a serious discussion about drugs in the X-books.

#55 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec2030 said:

@koays: @oldnightcrawler:I love that my offhand comment about Claremont doing coke turned into a serious discussion about drugs in the X-books.

Lol Welcome to the X-Boards- where the actual topic is rarely what the best conversation in the thread is about....hope you survive the experience.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#56 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

jean grey rules and all the other drools!!!!!!!!! also she will always come back its part of her character!!!!!!!

JEANGREYJEANGREYJEANGREY!!!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

AWWWWWW!!!!!!! @koays

#57 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio
@koays said:

Yea, I guess it sort of goes back to the level of maturity the X-Books have struggled with finding a balance for since (once again) the 90's. There's a very consistent level of inconsistency when it comes to how far they're willing to go in a story or arc that involves or should involve these topics. And even on the clinical side we don't see much discussion... Iceman, Husk, and Aurora in recent years have had bouts of multiple personality disorder where the solution has been essentially "just talk bout it", Magneto admittedly suffers from some type of mental issue linked to his powers, hell how many surgeries have people immediately walked out of without a prescription...but they won't even show a Volume for fear of examining or accidentally taking a stance on anything involving mental health.

yeah, absolutely agree. It is a little silly, I mean, I get it, but still..

To me the fact that the worst drug effect we've seen (aside from being possessed by Sublime) has been the equivalent of a roid rage is kind of lacking. But it seems like it's part of an across the board retreat from certain depths of mature storytelling, and a fear of pushing against that wall. I mean Cyclops and Emma waking up from a night of sex 2 issues after his wife died seems to be a little more socially irresponsible then

wait, wait.. socially irresponsible? how so?

...showing how a young telepath on his own in the Marvel U would attempt to deal with constantly having hundreds of voices in their head. I mean i'm not saying Quire should show up to the JGS with a bookbag full of "edibles" (though seems like it happened enough when I was in school to be valid) but im thinking that showing a more varied stance then "All pills are being abused, all ailments can be solved with therapy, painkillers don't exist and if it's sold on the street its the worst kind of drug that will destroy your soul by making you irritable.

Idk, maybe theres a thread about maturity in X-Comics somewhere in all this...i'm just to lazy to make it.

yeah, I dunno. I get your point, but I can also see how they want X-men to generally be something kids can read without normalizing the idea that teenagers do drugs.. not because it isn't normal for teenagers to do drugs, but, y'know..

#58 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: Lol the dudes wife, and oldest friend just died! It's got a reason on panel...but It speaks to a pattern where people relationship and bed hop a little to casually. I mean you can scribble away some examples as just moving on with their lives, but the frequency of people breaking up and immediately jumping into new serious long term relationships is scary when you realize no one save maybe Iceman has taken the time to be sad over a break up....and well apparently that doesn't count.

@hopesummersforthefuture- Uh...what???

#59 Edited by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:
  1. Lol the dudes wife, and oldest friend just died! It's got a reason on panel...but It speaks to a pattern where people relationship and bed hop a little to casually.
  2. I mean you can scribble away some examples as just moving on with their lives, but the frequency of people breaking up and immediately jumping into new serious long term relationships is scary
  3. when you realize no one save maybe Iceman has taken the time to be sad over a break up....
  4. and well apparently that doesn't count.

1. too casually for who?

2. scary how?

3. there's nothing about that example to conclude that Cyclops wasn't still sad about Jean though, or even that he isn't still sad about it all these years later.

4. why doesn't that count?

#60 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: idk i was just bored

@koays said:

yeah, absolutely agree. It is a little silly, I mean, I get it, but still..

To me the fact that the worst drug effect we've seen (aside from being possessed by Sublime) has been the equivalent of a roid rage is kind of lacking. But it seems like it's part of an across the board retreat from certain depths of mature storytelling, and a fear of pushing against that wall.I mean Cyclops and Emma waking up from a night of sex 2 issues after his wife died seems to be a little more socially irresponsible then

wait, wait.. socially irresponsible? how so?

...showing how a young telepath on his own in the Marvel U would attempt to deal with constantly having hundreds of voices in their head. I mean i'm not saying Quire should show up to the JGS with a bookbag full of "edibles" (though seems like it happened enough when I was in school to be valid) but im thinking that showing a more varied stance then "All pills are being abused, all ailments can be solved with therapy, painkillers don't exist and if it's sold on the street its the worst kind of drug that will destroy your soul by making you irritable.

yeah, I dunno. I get your point, but I can also see how they want X-men to generally be something kids can read without normalizing the idea that teenagers do drugs.. not because it isn't normal for teenagers to do drugs, but, y'know..

great now i got that in my head.....ew ew ew.....ty for opening old wounds :'(

#61 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio
#62 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:
  1. Lol the dudes wife, and oldest friend just died! It's got a reason on panel...but It speaks to a pattern where people relationship and bed hop a little to casually.
  2. I mean you can scribble away some examples as just moving on with their lives, but the frequency of people breaking up and immediately jumping into new serious long term relationships is scary
  3. when you realize no one save maybe Iceman has taken the time to be sad over a break up....
  4. and well apparently that doesn't count.

1. too casually for who?

2. scary how?

3. there's nothing about that example to conclude that Cyclops wasn't still sad about Jean though, or even that he isn't still sad about it all these years later.

4. why doesn't that count?

1. Too casual for any small group of people who were supposed to believe are actually falling "in love" with these "love interest" whenever their paired up seperated and repaired.
2. Scary in that it basically portrays them as unable to enter a room with out meeting someone they will fall for, sleep with and then break up with without ever revisiting the weight behind it. It's one thing if its just casual hook ups, then it's an argument about "how active is to active and is there such a thing", but it can't be healthy to fall in love 7 issues after every breakup like clockwork without reflection on the previous relationship. Which i'm pretty sure is close to Kitty's current pattern.
3. Honestly I can't even respond to this because I'm so lost as to how he does feel about Jean. I mean really I have no clue because its repeatedly brought up with vagueness, but I do know the message of "spouse dies, immediately move on" and "big break up, immediately pursue next great love interest" is a trope i'm not a fan of in real life or fiction.
4. Well (and this is really hard to word) because we're being led to believe that his motivation for feeling bad about a break up is less about the failed relationship and more about issues he potentially has with himself.

#63 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

1. Too casual for any small group of people who were supposed to believe are actually falling "in love" with these "love interest" whenever their paired up seperated and repaired.

2. Scary in that it basically portrays them as unable to enter a room with out meeting someone they will fall for, sleep with and then break up with without ever revisiting the weight behind it. It's one thing if its just casual hook ups, then it's an argument about "how active is to active and is there such a thing", but it can't be healthy to fall in love 7 issues after every breakup like clockwork without reflection on the previous relationship. Which i'm pretty sure is close to Kitty's current pattern.

3. Honestly I can't even respond to this because I'm so lost as to how he does feel about Jean. I mean really I have no clue because its repeatedly brought up with vagueness, but I do know the message of "spouse dies, immediately move on" and "big break up, immediately pursue next great love interest" is a trope i'm not a fan of in real life or fiction.

4. Well (and this is really hard to word) because we're being led to believe that his motivation for feeling bad about a break up is less about the failed relationship and more about issues he potentially has with himself.

1. that sounds like a personal preference to me. Lots of people can and do fall in love very quickly, and lots of people do find comfort from their grief in the arms of either a new love or someone they already feel close to. I don't see what's "socially irresponsible" about depicting either of those in a story.

2. like I say, lots of people can and do fall in love very quickly; maybe not every time, but even so, I don't see what's unhealthy about it.

3. like I say, that sounds like a personal issue.. more than, say, something that needs be avoided in the realm of fantasy fiction.

4. Even if Iceman was never actually romantically attracted to any of his former lovers, there's no reason to assume he wasn't in love with them. I dunno, I guess I really don't think these topics are as black and white as you're making them sound.

#64 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (5909 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

(Though if it's true, i'm thinking we need to reevaluate our stance on drugs. In 2016 maybe the X-Boards should come out in support of writer drug use....though theres a possibility Bendis has been waiting for this exact moment to tell us the real reason Jean Grey turned purple)

were we ever against writer drug use? or drug use in general?

I certainly was never informed of this..

No Caption Provided

no more delays whoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! im so happy :D.......oh why is extra x-men 4.99 it doesn't even have extra pages in it :(

or did all the comicbooks go up to 4.99???????

#65 Posted by tec2030 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@hopesummersforthefuture: Can you please type out sentences a little more coherently? Stop using so much punctuation. You don't need one thousand exclamation points. Three would be plenty to convey your excitement

It may be an extra long issue, we won't know until issue two comes out.

Also, this isn't a chit-chat thread, so make a thread if you want to talk about pricing or delays.

#66 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio
#67 Edited by Ayurai (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I come to this forum exactly looinkg for this, i never thought I'd l find the exactly thing I was looking for, fixed right at the beginning of the page. I love u guys.

#69 Posted by tec2030 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Updated:

• Added “Age of Apocalypse” into the main reading for the 90′s section. Although I added it into the main section, I still left the note about reading it as it’s own entity if the reader doesn’t want to go all the way through the decade.
  • I split the Claremont section into four parts instead of three. The second section is now Days of Future Past to The Trial of Magneto, and the third second is The Trial of Magneto to Inferno.
  • I put Secret Wars into it’s own main section, but with a note that it’s completely optional. Usually I wouldn’t put something optional in it’s own section, but it’s too big of an event and has too many titles not to.
  • The All-New, All-Different section now sits by itself. I adjusted some of the wording and added in a list of all the titles coming up (with descriptions and optional reading for each).
#70 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec2030: Probably going to end up including a reference to Uncanny 600 somewhere down the line with the current titles. Otherwise its fine.

#71 Posted by tec2030 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: I'm not adding anything abkut UXM 600 into the ANAD section. It's an endcap to Bendis' run and it should stay there.

What's your reasoning for wanting to including it there?

#72 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec2030: Bunn and Lemire have both made statements about how they plan to back track and explain what happened from the end of 600 to the start of the Extra. Like i said, "probably" but till it happens its fine

#73 Edited by INCA (19 posts) - - Show Bio

I have most of the physical back issues of Chris Claremont's sequential run from Issue 211 (Mutant Massacre) until his final issue before Jim Lee took over. I have all but 2 of Jim' Lee's entire run on Uncanny X-Men before Jim left for Image as well. But Chris Claremont's run was the best.

#74 Posted by Bundoonie (6 posts) - - Show Bio

@tec2030: Thanks for this list man it's really good but I have a question. I'm going to start with New X-Men and this is the reading order I think is good: New X-Men Vol 1-3, Astonishing X-Men Ultimate Collection Vol 1, House of M, Astonishing X-Men Ultimate Collection Vol 2, Messiah Complex, Cable #1-12, Messiah War, Cable #16-24, Schism. I wanted to know where the other Astonishing X-Men comics take place during Messiah Complex and those other events just so I cam organize those books in my bookshelf

#75 Posted by Koays (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@bundoonie: Astonishing X-Men takes place before Messiah Complex, with the events of its last 2 arcs sort of taking place in an awkward time period because Kitty isnt trapped in space during the events of Messiah Complex and the school hasnt been destroyed/X-Men disbanded during the Breakworld story. Though its still widely agreed to take place before Complex because Willis' run picks up after Messiah Complex like all of the other main series books.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
#76 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (4684 posts) - - Show Bio
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Even celebrities approve of this guide.

#77 Posted by tec2030 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Guide updated.

#78 Edited by KingHype (673 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know how I'd read Christ Claremont's X Men run via trades? In what order? or would the black and white essentials be better to buy?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.