Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

does rogue keep the powers she takes

Avatar image for icametoaskquestions
    Icametoaskquestions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

does all she need to do is touch them once? can she take ANY power? can she get the speed of flash? does she steal the power or copies it? can she be like the hulk?

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By XsPectre28

rogue's power it to duplicate the powers/abilities/memories of ppl she touches. one could say that the powers she absorbs stay apart of her but she is yet to demonstrate the ability to recall them at will but @ one point she was able to, if she will aquire that ability again who knowd my question is what happens if she touches a mutant like mimic or elixer or even sage.... what effects will their powers have on her. rogue has in the past taken abilities from non-mutants

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as i know when Rogue absorbs a power, she only has access to it for a little while. However, there was a story years ago when she was part of the Brotherhood where she was fighting Ms. Marvel and she kept Ms. Marvel's powers until quite recently. In this case, I believe Ms. Marvel retained her powers and Rogue sort of copied them. But the entire situation was one-of-a-kind. Something about Ms. Marvel's Kree elements. This is not how Rogue's powers usually work.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By devilsgrin81

during Storm's X-Treme X-Men... Sage was able to briefly catalyse Rogue's powers to allow her access to EVERY power she had ever absorbed up til that point - including, for example Storm's and Magneto's among the bewildering array of others. It seems from this, that Rogue, while not having access to all these powers, does indeed retain something of the people she touches.

Her powers do go hay-wire when touching aliens tho... both Kree-tainted Ms Marvel and one of the telepathic mutant skrulls. Yet, she had no problem using Thor's powers... interesting...

Mystique's Hope-Reset of Rogue's powers may have changed this, but i suspect not. The retention was not a fault in Rogue's powers, unlike the inability to control it, which was a fault in Rogue's mind that had an up-til-then effect on her power.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

her powers originally revolved around time, the longer ahe maintains contact the longer she keeps the power, if it still applies is yet to be seen, once rogue gained full controll this is the most rogue has shown as far as the amount of different abilities she can weild at one time.

Icametoaskquestions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so how does she gain the power if the opponent is stronger? alright so one touch will get the the powers so if she somehow uses the power to hold onto the enemy she will gain a longer duration or maybe forever of the power? and what about that ms marvel thing how did that happen

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By XsPectre28

The effects are different know but there still have been ppl that are resistent to her powers. with ms. marvel rogues powers werent controlled, she took on all of ms marvel, her power, her memories & aspects of her personality. she power her in a coma & i guess it was part due to the kree hybrid part of ms marvel that rogue also took that allowed her to keep that power plus stillbe able to aborb other powers too

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 SC  Moderator

Generally no, she doesn't keep the powers, its temporary, although the nature of fiction makes this iffy. During Claremont's first run it was revealed that Rogue had some aspects of characters retained in her psyche, then later on he powers mutated a bit so that she could access powers over people she had absorbed in the past but that it was uncontrollable which burdened her, then she gained some measure of control after Sage helped kickstart her powers making them more efficient but then she lost them for a bit and then she was said to have all traces of other people and powers expelled and her powers were put back to a neural state then she finally finally regained control over abilities. I missed some history there but modern day Rogue with control over abilities, has only been shown to take powers temporarily again, but this could change in any story.

Rogue generally has trouble with powers that are overly vile and that can have a psychological, mental or emotional affect on her, usually only applies with organic powers, even if not traditional skin. Magical powers can be a problem, characters with powers that exhibit sentience can be a problem. Characters consisting of energy or inorganic materials usually no. So she can absorb Colossus, Thor, Thing, She Hulk, Legion, Hulk, but has trouble with Zero, Mojo, Loki, Vision, Juggernaut, Mr Sinister, Silver Surfer and Wonder Man. Now with the aforementioned she either couldn't take any powers or she could but there were complications or there was only partial transferral of power.

She could potentially take Flash's power if she touched him, but I always forget the nature of the speed force and how sentient it is, maybe it won't let her tap into it, maybe she can't because she lacks an affinity for it or maybe she can. So probably depends on the writer. In this context, steal and copy can be synonymous, but from a technical vantage I would say copy is more accurate. Many times Rogue would render the person she copied powers from unconscious so in a way thats stealing, but borrow would also be a more accurate term. She can be like Hulk yes.

Power of opponent doesn't matter as much as the type of power and whether they traditionally are made of organic matter. I say traditionally because in Uncanny Avengers she was depicted as borrowing Wonder Man's powers and an explanation was given on panel, that she had been practicing. Its one recent example that hasn't really been explored. Traditionally the longer she maintained contact the longer she could retain powers, but to what degree and whether this is still the case is mainly unknown and or up to writers/readers discretion. Ms Marvel incident was combination of Carol's mutated Kree physiology and Rogue holding on to long. Hope this helps in any way.

Icametoaskquestions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes with more and more answers the more i understand thank you for your big help SC

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She probably retains the experience of those powers rather than being able to use it. I think she was able to recall the powers during some temporary point in comics. I think killing a character and a writer's interest may allow her to keep certain powers

AsheTDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that’s a hell of a necro.

Selene is that you?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.