Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13410 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

days of the future past

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By darthphoenix

i wasnt able to read the book. is rachel grey in this story?

who are the characters involved in this story?

i read kitty and wolverine will be playing a big part in this upcoming movie

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cattlebattle

Its Rachel Greys debut.

In the present, well....the comics present, its the X-Men team of the time...Storm, Wolverine, Colossus, Nightcrawler, Angel and Kitty Pryde...in the future, the characters are Storm, Wolverine, Kitty, Rachel Grey, Colossus and Franklin Richards

I don't understand that last part

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By dangallant984

@darthphoenix: It is the first time we see Rachel, but she's only refered to by her first name.

the X-men in the present are Kitty, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawller, Angel and Xavier.

the X-men in the future are Kitty, Wolverine, Storm, Colossus, Rachel, Franklin Richards, and Magneto.

It takes place just after Cyclops has left the team for the first time, after the Dark Phoenix Saga, and it's the first major story that Kitty is involved in as an X-man. It's cool because it sort of shows how she's destined to become the real hero of the team, even though she's still a scared little girl in the beginning, so she's very much the main character of the comic.

We also see how Wolverine develops into a less violent hero in the future, as well as the first steps towards this with Storm really stepping up as leader for the first time; it really sets these three characters up as the main characters. And it's our first forshadowing of Magneto being a hero. And it's the first time they meet Mystique's Brotherhood. It's really got a lot going on for two issues, it probably could have been six by today's standards, but it never seems rushed or crowded. It's great.

You really should read it though, it really is the first great X-men story.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dangallant984 said:

, it really is the first great X-men story.

???? What about Proteus, Dark Phoenix saga and the classic Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories??
    ImmortalT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ImmortalT1000

hm never read that. Is it good?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dangallant984

@cattlebattle said:

@dangallant984 said:

, it really is the first great X-men story.

???? What about Proteus, Dark Phoenix saga and the classic Stan Lee and Jack Kirby stories??

ooh, you're right, I did forget about Proteus, that one was quite good.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dangallant984 said:

ooh, you're right, I did forget about Proteus, that one was quite good.

Some things often get overlooked from X-men because they are so popular people just kind of take them for granted. The Dark Phoenix saga actually had a lot of themes that had not been in done in comics yet as Chris Claremont was kind of ahead of the curve back then. Having the team go up against one of their own, the villains (Inner Circle) having a ton of development Scott and Jeans bond being a centric part of the story. these were all things that were not common place at all in comics around this time.
    dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dangallant984

@cattlebattle said:

Some things often get overlooked from X-men because they are so popular people just kind of take them for granted. The Dark Phoenix saga actually had a lot of themes that had not been in done in comics yet as Chris Claremont was kind of ahead of the curve back then. Having the team go up against one of their own, the villains (Inner Circle) having a ton of development Scott and Jeans bond being a centric part of the story. these were all things that were not common place at all in comics around this time.

You're right, these are really good points, and I agree with them all.

And then they went to the moon and fought ridiculous generic superheroes that looked like they were invented by a five year old, for like no reason. This story starts out being so far ahead of it's time only to fall back on super hero cliches that just seemed super contrived in the second half, it's just kind of disappointing.

Then again, when I started reading, this was considered one of the best superhero stories ever, so it could just be that it never lived up to those expectations for me.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dangallant984 said:

\

You're right, these are really good points, and I agree with them all.

And then they went to the moon and fought ridiculous generic superheroes that looked like they were invented by a five year old, for like no reason. This story starts out being so far ahead of it's time only to fall back on super hero cliches that just seemed super contrived in the second half, it's just kind of disappointing.

Then again, when I started reading, this was considered one of the best superhero stories ever, so it could just be that it never lived up to those expectations for me.

Haha, I agree with that actually. I hate the X-mens Shiar stories, and it was real random that they Jean just flies off and eats a star. It also is bothersome that the Imperial Guard is just  the Legion of Super Heroes with different outfits. Honestly the Shiar story arcs are some of the worse arcs IMO. Its almost like they would use the Shiar and Lilandra as plot conveniences back then, like if they couldn't figure out what to do with Xavier...they just had him leave to be with Lilandra....kind of abandoning his life long dream....what a quitter  :)

I am in the minority that actually kind of likes what X-Men 3 did with the Phoenix... just having Jean just reach her full mutant potential and become God like, like Tetsuo from Akira or something, I mean if you had telekinesis you could in theory transmutate things the way she was in the comics, Its a more simple explanation that doesn't have to bring in The Shiar.
    dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dangallant984

@cattlebattle said:

Haha, I agree with that actually. I hate the X-mens Shiar stories, and it was real random that they Jean just flies off and eats a star. It also is bothersome that the Imperial Guard is just the Legion of Super Heroes with different outfits. Honestly the Shiar story arcs are some of the worse arcs IMO. Its almost like they would use the Shiar and Lilandra as plot conveniences back then, like if they couldn't figure out what to do with Xavier...they just had him leave to be with Lilandra....kind of abandoning his life long dream....what a quitter :) I am in the minority that actually kind of likes what X-Men 3 did with the Phoenix... just having Jean just reach her full mutant potential and become God like, like Tetsuo from Akira or something, I mean if you had telekinesis you could in theory transmutate things the way she was in the comics, Its a more simple explanation that doesn't have to bring in The Shiar.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of X-men in space, mostly because of how contrived it generally is to the premise of them being the X-men. Their premise is already so rich that it almost always seems lazy to take them away from earth, or have them fighting aliens; Isn't that what the Avengers are for?

That said, I do like some of what it's added to the lore, like Lockheed, the Danger room, the first Brood story was cool, and obviously I loved Whedon's Astonishing run, but for the most part, even this stuff doesn't really justify all the time they've spent out there.

And, yeah, X-men 3 is a terrible movie, really, but I did far prefer that explanation of the Phoenix. I actually heard recently that that explanation was closer to what Claremont had originally envisioned; basicly making one of the main characters go insane because of their powers -that would've been an X-men story. Being possessed by a cosmic entity and hunted down by space cops, not so much.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By darthphoenix

i loved xtinction agenda

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dangallant984 said:

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of X-men in space, mostly because of how contrived it generally is to the premise of them being the X-men. Their premise is already so rich that it almost always seems lazy to take them away from earth, or have them fighting aliens; Isn't that what the Avengers are for?

That said, I do like some of what it's added to the lore, like Lockheed, the Danger room, the first Brood story was cool, and obviously I loved Whedon's Astonishing run, but for the most part, even this stuff doesn't really justify all the time they've spent out there.

And, yeah, X-men 3 is a terrible movie, really, but I did far prefer that explanation of the Phoenix. I actually heard recently that that explanation was closer to what Claremont had originally envisioned; basicly making one of the main characters go insane because of their powers -that would've been an X-men story. Being possessed by a cosmic entity and hunted down by space cops, not so much.

Yeah, I look at it the same way, I think all the adventures into space in the 70's and early 80's were obviously mirroring the Star Wars popularity and the Brood appears to be based off the Alien movie.....so I think they were just pandering to attract a broader audience. I do enjoy them some of them, but I don't really care for Shiar, Starjammer and Vulcan stories
    dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dangallant984

@cattlebattle: yeah, good call. That's always how I felt, too. Or Mad Max and the Outback era, or Ghost Busters and Inferno. Yeah, good as it is, I've noticed a lot of that in Claremont's run, which is what I always end up liking least about it.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cattlebattle
    @dangallant984 said:

@cattlebattle: yeah, good call. That's always how I felt, too. Or Mad Max and the Outback era, or Ghost Busters and Inferno. Yeah, good as it is, I've noticed a lot of that in Claremont's run, which is what I always end up liking least about it.

Yeah, don't forget Arcade during the video game/pinball/arcade popularity and Mojo when cable televison was thriving

I don't think its just Claremonts run, comic books in general have always done that stuff....even after Claremont was gone the X-Men still borrowed stuff from popular media. Hell, when the X-men films came out the comic harvested them for ideas...which I find funny seeing as some X-men fans will bash the movies for being inaccurate, yet the comics ripped a bunch of stuff from it....but thats another story

I respect the holy hell out of Claremont for making the X-men the X-men and popularizing them in the first place, but yeah, there are a ton of flaws in his run if you analyze it.......The fact he would just rip-off of pop culture blatantly, and my personal favorite.....that everyone was constantly mind controlled, it just seems like every couple of issues someone was being mind controlled. Mind control, mind control, Claremont mind control, haha
    chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chasereis

@cattlebattle: Actually I always felt that most of it was not really marketing points but more like a homage (Brood to aliens) or satire (Mojo and the Tv generation).

@dangallant984: wassa matta? You forget the Days of Future Present? I expect more DG...I really liked your synopsis though.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle
    @chasereis said:

@cattlebattle: Actually I always felt that most of it was not really marketing points but more like a homage (Brood to aliens) or satire (Mojo and the Tv generation).

Yeah, well Mojo is admittedly an absurdist parody, its just that it occurred way too often. I just always looked at it as if perhaps Claremont was always so swamped writing like ten things at once that he just figure he will incorporate whatever is popular at the time into the comics he was writing...who knows what his motivation was...
    chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chasereis

@cattlebattle: Very true. But he did come up with some interesting villains during his tenure that ended classic I think.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.