Cullen Bunn/Axel Alonso comment on Uncanny X-Men

#1 Edited by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey X-Fans, here are some interesting comments from Cullen Bunn and Axel Alonso.

Cullen Bunn: Just jumping in real quick. There's not much I can say about the book's direction. I will say this, though. Marvel didn't shove any characters at me. There was no push to make it more like the movies. These characters (and you haven't seen the full roster yet) were my choices. Did I pick some because they were "cool"--yep. I think they will be cool. I think it will be cool to give them some of the direction and continuity they might have lacked. I think it will be cool to explore some of the inter-character dynamics and history of these characters. Anyone who thinks I've forgotten any history of these characters (like Sabretooth trying to gut Psylocke) is fairly far afield. And... yeah... a team like this could very easily tear itself apart. Maybe they will. Is it a strange lineup... you bet! I approached this as a group of characters who (mostly) have no business trying to uphold Xavier's dream... trying to do just that.

Axel Alonso: The X-Men find themselves in a unique situation after "Secret Wars." They live in a world that not only hates and fears them, but -- thanks to the Terrigen Mists -- is a lot more dangerous. The new Uncanny team is resolved to protect mutants by all means necessary, whatever the cost. What lines are each of these characters willing to cross to save their kind? Well, look at that roster. I mean, they're even more hardcore than the X-Force.

It looks like the Terrigen Mist is definitely harming the mutants somehow.

#2 Edited by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like this team will be pretty chaotic, and we may see some line-up changes throughout the series. I hope Fantomex gets booted ASAP.

#3 Posted by Xwraith (34847 posts) - - Show Bio

Still won't be picking this up.

#4 Posted by CheeseSticks (2867 posts) - - Show Bio

The team would be good if freaking Fantomex was not there.

#5 Posted by time1 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Are you serious, it sounds great.

#6 Edited by Xwraith (34847 posts) - - Show Bio

@time said:
@xwraith said:

Greg Land is doing the art.

#7 Posted by time1 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

It looks like this team will be pretty chaotic, and we may see some line-up changes throughout the series. I hope Fantomex gets booted ASAP.

Add Rogue, Gambit, Polaris and Emma Frost. Get rid of Fantomex. Then it will be perfect.

#8 Posted by Ramior (425 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: He got improvement, look at this artwork on "Futur Imperfect".

#9 Posted by time1 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:
@time said:
@xwraith said:

Greg Land is doing the art.

Yeah he is, his work on future imperfect of secret wars is pretty good. It's the writing that interests me.

#10 Edited by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

@time: I added another comment from Axel Alonso.

#11 Posted by time1 (6290 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by Koays (8264 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm legit excited about these titles as time goes on...I really just wanna know what happens.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#13 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (6125 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays said:

I'm legit excited about these titles as time goes on...I really just wanna know what happens.

i dont support secret wars or there tie in books

#14 Edited by Koays (8264 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
#15 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (6125 posts) - - Show Bio

@koays: i heard in october2015 that after 8 months, the marvel univers willl never be the same again lolz which they kept saying since original sins sl

#16 Posted by Koays (8264 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

me neither man. I am only getting one title from marvel post secret wars. and that is spider-woman.

#18 Posted by Xwraith (34847 posts) - - Show Bio

@dman1366: The only definite one for me is Old Man Logan. And I probably wouldn't if it had any other creative team.

#19 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: I thought about doing Extrod, because Lemire on Bloodshot has been great, but I just can't bring myself to do it. They kind of ruined what I like about the X-Men, and it doesn't seem like they are ever going to bring that back. We now live in a land of cheesy gimmicks and cardboard characters.

#20 Posted by HAWK2916 (3831 posts) - - Show Bio

Bishop would be good here too. But Fantomex needs to go as does Sabretooth. I really don't understand the obsession with either of those two characters.

I agree with @Dman1366 about the ruination of whats to like about xmen and the cheesy overhyped gimmicks.

I guess by the time one or two of these issues roll around we'll be headed into yet another ridiculous event that will yet again "change the universe as we know it."

#21 Posted by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

IvX(Inhumans vs X-Men) will be the summer event of 2016 -- you heard it here first.

#22 Posted by adamTRMM (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantomex has to go through total deconstruction. Again. And again. But if anything, I hope it at least leads to Fanta's connection to the World, and Sublime, and then to Xorn under Sublime's influence that impersonated Magneto, which should be a f@cking annoying thing to Magneto considering how he perceives his precious name. I know this can turn into mess, but I think it's worth it since I need to see the resolution of that crappy story and finally put it to rest.

I also wonder about Exodus and *shrug* Joseph............ Just little additions to what can be considered madness already haha

@koays said:

@hopesummersforthefuture: more like since the Age of Ultron event.

Wasn't it AvX? lol

@sprior93 said:

IvX(Inhumans vs X-Men) will be the summer event of 2016 -- you heard it here first.

All credit already taken?

But seriously, it's been talked about and turned into a total conspiracy the second Medusa stepped on X-clops' head. So, I don't think it's really new to anyone.

#23 Edited by Teerack (10695 posts) - - Show Bio

Cullen Bunn is such a phenomenal writer I hope X-Men fans can control themselves for once and not just complain about everything and anything to do with uncanny like always. His take on Magneto is the best.

#24 Posted by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Some fans were getting real snooty with him on the cbr forums lol.

#25 Edited by Teerack (10695 posts) - - Show Bio
@sprior93 said:

X-Men fans are pretty stupid. It doesn't matter who the writer is anyone who take up the lead on x-men always gets a ton of crap. This pretty much sums up the mentality of like 80% of the x-men fans.

The 80s X-men was the best!(even though I got into the x-men in the 90s!) Anything that isn't exactly like that sucks, and I just wanna see the same stuff over and over. Also I want to see all of my own personal wishes fulfilled... Plus if you show a new side of a character, and try to explore and develop them at all then you just DONT UNDERSTAND THE CHARACTER and should keep the character flat and static like i want, but wont admit. Also you're a bad quality writer because i don't like you stories, and because I think you're bad at writing EVERYTHING YOU DO is now considered a gimmick!

#26 Edited by ms-lola (10530 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's the thing. I've made a commitment to not be so dour when changes happen in the X-Men mythos, and while I haven't been completely successful, I am a lot more chill and less argumentative. A waitandsee approach. Thing is, it turns out my waitandsee approach resulted in me dropping most of my X-Men books. My interest in characters I once was incredibly loyal to, is waning. If what they intended was to make my eyes search elsewhere, it worked, except it made me look outside of Marvel and find interest in less known, more creatorowned work.

Am I growing up? I don't know. Someone suggested to me that was the reason why I don't follow the X-Men as much as I used to. I don't really think so though, as I really miss Wolverine and Rogue (as I remember her, at aleast) and honestly, the loss of these characters have really impacted my enjoyment of the X-Men as a whole.

I am curious about what's coming up and I will look into the first couple of issues for a couple of books, but I'm inclined to think my support of the X-Men will continue to trickle away.

#27 Posted by Tazirai (281 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantomex, and villains and land, yeah This ain't X-men. Psylocke can't make me buy it. Even with her crappy Asian yellowface thing still in effect.

#28 Posted by adamTRMM (5784 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

Some fans were getting real snooty with him on the cbr forums lol.

Really? He got directly involved in conversations with the harping fandom? Dam I want to see that.

#29 Edited by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms-lola said:

Here's the thing. I've made a commitment to not be so dour when changes happen in the X-Men mythos, and while I haven't been completely successful, I am a lot more chill and less argumentative. A waitandsee approach. Thing is, it turns out my waitandsee approach resulted in me dropping most of my X-Men books. My interest in characters I once was incredibly loyal to, is waning. If what they intended was to make my eyes search elsewhere, it worked, except it made me look outside of Marvel and find interest in less known, more creatorowned work.

Am I growing up? I don't know. Someone suggested to me that was the reason why I don't follow the X-Men as much as I used to. I don't really think so though, as I really miss Wolverine and Rogue (as I remember her, at aleast) and honestly, the loss of these characters have really impacted my enjoyment of the X-Men as a whole.

I am curious about what's coming up and I will look into the first couple of issues for a couple of books, but I'm inclined to think my support of the X-Men will continue to trickle away.

see that happened to me as well. I believe that majority of that is simply growing up. That doesn't mean the stories have changed in any way.

I remember the old New Mutants; back when they journeyed the Amazon and found Magma. Or when they fought the Silver Samurai and Viper and lost. Or when they had actual character development; I mean I could tell you everything about the characters themselves from back in the 80's, and not just their actions. Like, tell me something, anything, about any recent character that makes them unique outside of their power and appearance; teen jean = tempest = cuckoos = emma = kitty = storm. They are the same character: sassy, strong, independent, doesn't follow any male leadership.

That being said, clearly the X-Men have gone down hill. And there is plenty of evidence to support that. Now, am I a 17 year old kid anymore? No. So I probably am not buying into the gimmicks like killing characters, eloping, sexuality speculation, and adults talking with "hip lingo". (seriously, what adult, as leader of shield, would ever say "I dropped the mic on him"? it's cringe worthy). And it sounds like you are not buying into it anymore either. I like stories with drive and purpose, not gimmicks and "THIS WILL CHANGE THE WORLD FOREVER!!!!!". I mean X-O Manowar is finally getting married, and it has been 40 issues of relationship build up and hard pressed character interaction; not kitty being like "So I know I was in love with Colossus and Iceman, and instead of working out our problems I decided to dump them, but I am ready to make a lifelong commitment after about 4 issues"

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
#30 Posted by oldnightcrawler (5695 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll read Bunn's book before I judge it, and I'll judge it for what it is rather than what it's not.

From what little we know, I'm surprised so many people are already criticizing it.

#31 Posted by Dman1366 (1328 posts) - - Show Bio

@oldnightcrawler: you have a good point. We really have no idea what these writers have in mind. For all we know, they are going to erase all, save the O5, Bendis Continuity and start with a fresher slate.

#32 Posted by Koays (8264 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:

CBR, being rude or disrespectful on their forums? That doesn't sound right..

#33 Posted by HAWK2916 (3831 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by ms-lola (10530 posts) - - Show Bio

@dman1366: I find myself agreeing with you.

I'll read Bunn's book before I judge it, and I'll judge it for what it is rather than what it's not.

From what little we know, I'm surprised so many people are already criticizing it.

What you suggest is the fairest thing. Bendis is leaving, so a major change can be hoped for.

@koays said:
@sprior93 said:

Isn't that like, completely forbidden over there? (:P)

#35 Posted by Sprior93 (12837 posts) - - Show Bio

@ms-lola said:

@koays said:
@sprior93 said:

Not if you mask it behind passive-aggressive sarcasm.

#36 Posted by Koays (8264 posts) - - Show Bio

@sprior93 said:
@ms-lola said:
@koays said:
@sprior93 said:

Not if you mask it behind passive-aggressive sarcasm.

Lol....seriously. I just go there for the articles and i feel like you just walked into a room with a couple having a fight. "Oh....so thats the new robot batman huh. Good thing their not using the real batman in the batman book"

#37 Posted by ms-lola (10530 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.